Start by marking “The Craftsman (The Craftsman, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Craftsman (The Craftsman, #1)

The Craftsman

(The Craftsman #1)

Sharon Bolton returns with her creepiest standalone yet, following a young cop trying to trace the disappearances of a small town's teenagers.

Florence Lovelady's career was made when she convicted coffin-maker Larry Glassbrook of a series of child murders 30 years ago in a small village in Lancashire. Like something out of a nightmare, the victims were buried alive. Floren
Published May 3rd 2018 by trapeze (first published April 5th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Craftsman, please sign up.
David Madara BookDepository.com, shipped free and at a discount as well, better than using amazon.co.uk !!

Meredith
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

CHILLING!

Superbly crafted psychological thriller about children being buried alive in a small town rumored to have ties to witchcraft. This is an atmospheric, suspenseful, twisty read filled with elements of the supernatural. Witchcraft and gender norms play subtle roles that become more and more pronounced as the book progresses, culminating in a heart-stopping ending!

In 1999, Florence Loveday returns to Lancashire to attend the funeral of Larry Glassbrook--a man who committed ho
Susanne Strong
4.25 Stars* (rounded down)

Chilling, Disturbing & Absolutely Unputdownable! A Perfect Atmospheric Read for this Time of Year!

In Pendle Hill, Lancashire, children go missing, one by one, never to be seen again - that is, until WPC Lovelady discovers their bodies. This is a town rich with history. A town known for witchcraft & witch trials. A town known for folklore and legends, but not for the truth.

1969: WPC Florence Lovelady is a Police Officer. She is brought in to investigate the sea
Paromjit
Sharon Bolton takes us into her northern home territory, Lancashire, inhospitable, unpredictable, often savage, horrifying, but heartbreakingly and wonderfully beautiful. She draws on the areas history of witches with the Pendle witch trials, folklore, legend, and its fear and macabre treatment of intelligent women who dare to be different. Set in Sabden, a town on the edge of Pendle Hill, Bolton combines these themes to give us an outstanding story with elements of horror, the darkest of arts a ...more
Debra
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
"The Craftsman is the story of women, and witches. Of the children we love and must protect. And of the men who fear us." -Sharon Bolton

Holy Crap! This is the rare book which had my mouth hanging open at the end! SHOCKING!

The Craftsman is a perfectly crafted tale in which Bolton carefully molds her story of murder, sexism, witches, legend and mystery. In 1999 Assistant Commissioner Florence Lovelady has returned to Sabden with her fifteen-year-old son, Ben, for the funeral of master carpenter an
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
FIVE SHINY STARS
Deserves a lot more stars!!

The book is set right at the year of August 1999 and earlier in June of 1969. The book is set in Northern New England where witchcraft is practiced.

In August of the year of 1999, Florence Lovelady goes to the funeral of Larry Glassbrook's. She arrested him thirty years earlier. He was a funeral director and also a master carpenter. He made his own caskets and his victims were buried alive in them.

In the year of 1969 in June, Florence found a body of a
Kaceey - Traveling Sister
4.5*

Do you believe in magic? Dark Magic?

If you’ve ever had the good fortune to read anything from Sharon Bolton, then you know how innovative her writing can be. How descriptive her prose is. A simple thriller blossoms into a literary gem. This one is among her best!

Assistant Commissioner Florence Lovelady returns to Pendle Hill, Lancashire for the funeral of Larry Glassbrook. In her heart she feels this is the end of a long, dragged-out nightmare, finally putting all the demons to rest. Mr. Gla
Christina - Traveling Sister
4.5, a casket and a coffin are DEFINITELY NOT the same thing stars!!!

Full review featured on my blog Recipe and a Read!

Creepy. Sinister. Haunting. These are the words that come to mind when I think about reading The Crafstman by Sharon Bolton. A true master of her craft, Bolton has woven a truly shocking, original and surprising thriller perfect for the witching season.

We're gonna party like it's 1999. JUST KIDDING - we're going to dredge up old crimes as Florence Lovelady attends the funeral
(Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas
The Craftsman is a chilling, atmospheric read involving magic, witches, power, evil & missing children. Did that grab your attention? It absolutely grabbed mine too!

1969 - Florence Lovelady is a young police officer struggling to be accepted by her fellow officers in Lancashire. There are several missing children in Pendle Hill and Florence working the case, finds the body of 13 year old Patsy Wood buried alive. Local funeral director and master carpenter Larry Glassbrook is arrested and se
Miriam Smith
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tbc
Wow! Oh how I enjoyed "The Craftsman" by popular and well respected author Sharon Bolton. Excellently written, well plotted and superbly crafted, this is an 'unputdownable' book that I thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish.
I was particularly interested in the open letter at the start to readers by the author. It had me very intrigued as to what the story was going to be about as I have always had an interest in the history of witches and this certainly peaked my curiosity.
The story starts by
Norma * Traveling Sister
Whoa! That was one awesome read.....and because I can’t help myself! Holy Shooty Balls that was some book!!

Chilling, gripping & unputdownable!

I absolutely loved this book and it was definitely my kind of story! I love creepy suspenseful books with supernatural aspects to it and this one definitely satisfied my craving for an excellent spooky, spine-chilling and suspenseful read!

THE CRAFTSMAN by SHARON BOLTON is a dark, disturbing, tension-filled and an absolutely fantastic psychological thri
Lucy Langford
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5*****

It's August 1999 and Florence Lovelady attends the funeral of Larry Glassbrook, a convicted killer she arrested 30 years prior for the murders of three teenagers. These victims were buried alive in coffins... and who has better knowledge of graveyards and caskets than those who work with them!? Larry Glassbrook was the funeral director of the town where these murders took place. Clay effigies
Linda
Honestly, my own mind scares the crackers out of me sometimes.

And the extremely talented Sharon Bolton just handed off her latest offering served with a double heaping scoop of CREEP on steroids. She's outdone herself in this one, folks. Welcome to the crackling side of things that go bump in the night.

Assistant Commissioner Florence Lovelady is a bright and shiny twenty-two year old assigned to the police force in Sabden in Lancashire across from Pendle Hill. It's 1969 and women on the force ar
Christine
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sharon Bolton has a little gem on her hands with The Craftsman! When I first heard she was switching publishers in order to write a very different book near and dear to her heart, I was worried. Especially when I heard it involved witchcraft. Not my thing. I found out it IS my thing though when Ms. Bolton writes about it.

This one started out slow for me. The year is 1999, and I felt like I was missing a lot of background (which obviously I was) and was confused early on. Then the book moves into
Liz
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

4.5 stars, rounded up

Bolton gets it all right here. The story, the characters, the atmosphere. The area was known for witch trials in the 17 century and a belief in witches still permeates the current century. In 1969, young teenagers are going missing and are found to have been buried alive. WPC Lovelady is the only policewoman in Lancashire and to say she is not a welcome addition to staff is an understatement. Three teenagers have gone missing and the police are at a loss. But Lovelady has id
Diane S ☔
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Pendle Hill in Lancashire, the site of witches, and one of the most famous witch trials in 1612. Bolton gives us a creepy read, just in time for Halloween. Witches, ghosties, voices from a grave, and things that go bump in the night. Opens with a personal letter from Bolton, explaining why she wrote this, her connection to Pendle. In the present, it begins with a funeral, and then takes the reader back to the late 1960's, where the lone female police woman, Florence Lovelady, becomes embroil ...more
Luffy
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
My first piping hot book of Sharon J. Bolton. I was mesmerized by the sophistication of the story and I was galled by the author's will to push the envelope on the ancient horrors that the depraved parts of mankind can wield.

Florence Lovelady is a very much recognizable character. I welcome that. She is a character that's familiar. Her actions have direct consequences. She sometimes meets opposition in her inquiries, for being a woman I suppose.

But to craft a sensational book, trust Sharon Bolto
Kendall
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Sharon Bolton has climbed her way up my favorite list of authors! Sharon does it again with this one my friends! What a RIDE!!

As always, what a unique and extremely well written web of suspense that Bolton has crafted here with elements of supernatural and witchcraft! I LOVED the aspect of supernatural. I couldn't get enough!!

To all my Bolton fans out there... this is one that you DEFINITELY don't want to miss! Talk about supernatural on crack! Sharon.... you amaze me with your talent and how
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
A new detective and the first female on the force, a town haunted by a merciless killer, children going missing only to be found in the most horrifying manner, and a mysterious darkness around the town that can only be described as not of this world…

The Craftsman had me convinced that Sharon Bolton somehow new my most secret fears and brought them into this story. This book is positively chilling and expertly crafted. Written primarily in flashback to 1969, the story of the small town of Lancash
Michelle
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!!! What an absolutely perfect book to read during the Halloween season! The atmosphere and darkness seem to seep out of the pages.

I'll be honest and say that it took me a beat before I became completely gripped. I was a bit confused in the beginning but once I got my bearings straight there was no stopping me. Short, tension filled chapters had me flying through this one and the last 50 pages or so my heart was truly racing.

A man, Larry Glassbrook, was charged 30 years ago for the murder o
Dennis
ALL THE STARS!

Sharon Bolton's latest release, The Craftsman is her best yet. I am so ready for you all to get hooked by her newest tale—witchcraft, serial killers, children being buried alive—WHAT?! The story starts off in 1999, where serial killer Larry Glassbrook is being laid to rest. After spending 30 years in prison for the murder of three local teenagers back in 1969, Larry's notoriety has not weathered since his arrest. The small town Sabden has never been the same since Larry's havoc w
Brenda - Traveling Sister
Sharon Bolton is a favorite author for me and I was really excited to add The Craftsman to the Traveling Sisters group reads. Seven Traveling Sisters joined in on this sister read and a couple sisters have now added Sharon Bolton to there list of favorite authors.

The Craftsman has all the elements here with the atmospheric setting and buried secrets, disturbing and claustrophobic crime, a brew of witches and the supernatural lurching to make this story an entertaining, and deliciously creepy yet
Sandy

When I’m asked to recommend great crime/mystery books, this author is always on the list. If she wrote a book on installing linoleum, I’d read it. In this outing she branches off in a new direction, adding magic & supernatural elements to the usual mix of crime, mystery & memorable characters.

Florence Lovelady is an Assistant Commisssioner at the Met. Thirty years ago she began as a lowly WPC in Sabden, a northern town in the shadow of Pendle Hill. And it was an infamous murder
Maureen Carden
With The Craftsman I think Sharon Bolton has jumped into Stephen King territory of horror and left him behind. Shocking and heartbreaking, this is a compelling story of a place, a people and a great many tragedies. It is also the story of a love that will last for eternity.
The Craftsman is set in Lancashire with the double time-line of 1969 and 1999.
Lancashire is an unusual, isolated area of England, visitors are mostly drawn by the harsh beauty or the dark history of the Pendle witches. The gre
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
3.5 stars.

A suspenseful, chilling and ‘witchy’ story!

This novel follows Assistant Commissioner Florence Lovelady who, as a new police officer in 1969, helped put convicted murderer Larry Glassbrook in prison. Larry, the local funeral director, was found guilty of murdering three local teenagers by burying them alive in caskets he made himself. Florence’s determination and persistent drive to find answers and solve the murders lead her team to the shocking conviction of Larry.

There are two timel
Zoeytron
Copy furnished by Net Galley for the price of a review.

The ins and outs of coffins and caskets, clay effigies, abandoned bee hives, and the wonder of small things.  Patterns, phases of the moon, and a librarian with big yellow teeth and frightening eyebrows.  Thirty years have passed since a serial killer was put behind bars, and now he is dead.  So why are doubts resurfacing now?  A most satisfying ending, last two lines were pure magic.  The author knows her craft well, and for me this was a s
Pauline
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure about this book when I started reading it because we were told who the murder was from the start. The story started slowly telling the tale from thirty years ago but then things got interesting especially when the story jumped to 1999. I'm glad I didn't give up, it was well worth reading.
Liz Barnsley
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This may be the best book Ms Bolton has written to date. It is CERTAINLY the creepiest keep you up all night subtly scary novel I have read in a long time.

Set in the 70’s and later on the cusp of the new millennium, the story follows Florence, a policewoman in a small northern town where children are disappearing. Their fate becomes intertwined with her fate and Sharon Bolton weaves a tense and deeply atmospheric tale around her characters and her location.

I don’t think that last line will stop
Lisa
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-loved
If you thought Sharon Bolton was a brilliant author well let me tell you she has out done herself with The Craftsmen firstly let me say the cover when I picked it up was so creepy but beautiful Gold embossed with a coffin in the background doesn't that creep you out?
Let me say it was dark but beautifully crafted & atmospheric it gave me chills reading it , the pacing was exceptional & loved the characters especially Florence Lovelady who is struggling to getahead in the police force bac
Brenda
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sharon Bolton starts this book with a note to readers explaining the basis for the book. It’s clearly personal for her. The setting is in Lancashire, where Bolton was born and raised with the legend of the Pendle Witch Trials. As I was reading, it became apparent to me that I was going to love this book. I loved the menacing undertones.

Florence Lovelady has returned to Sabden for the funeral of a man she sent to prison 30 years ago. She tells her story now in 1999 and her remembrances from 1969.
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count 2 16 Nov 18, 2018 03:25AM
  • Come and Find Me (DI Marnie Rome, #5)
  • Salt Lane
  • DNA (Children's House, #1)
  • After the Fire (Maeve Kerrigan, #6)
  • Dangerous to Know (Natalie King, Forensic Psychiatrist, #2)
  • Dark Asylum (Jem Flockhart, #2)
  • The Whisper Man
  • Deliver Us from Evil
  • The Reckoning on Cane Hill
  • The 7th Woman (Paris Homicide)
  • Shadows (Lucy Clayburn #2)
  • Andköf (Siglufjörður #5)
  • Magda (Father of Lies #3)
  • The Confession
  • Jade (Three J'Amigos, #1)
  • The Grand Hotel
  • The Disappearing
  • The Deepest Grave (Fiona Griffiths, #6)
Sharon's newest book The Craftsman is now available for pre-order and is out on the 3rd May 2018 in the UK! PLUS Alive, a short story/prequel is available for FREE! (see Sharon's website http://www.deadgoodbooks.co.uk/dead-g...)
Pre-order here now https://www.amazon.co.uk/Craftsman-Sh...

Sharon J Bolton was born and brought up in Lancashire, the eldest of three daughters. As a child, she dreamed of

The Craftsman (3 books)
  • Alive (The Craftsman #0.5)
  • The Poisoner (The Craftsman #2)
“Stalking old flames has become a whole lot easier with the dawn of the Internet” 0 likes
“I wonder what words his headstone might carry: Loving husband, devoted father, merciless killer” 0 likes