Start by marking “Cruel Acts (Maeve Kerrigan #8)” as Want to Read:
Cruel Acts (Maeve Kerrigan #8)

Cruel Acts

(Maeve Kerrigan #8)

Leo Stone is a killer. A year ago, he was convicted of murdering two women and sentenced to life without parole. But now, a juror from his trial has revealed the jury was prejudiced, and a retrial is called.

Detectives Maeve Kerrigan and Josh Derwent are tasked with re-examining the evidence. Before long, they uncover links between Stone and a possible third victim.

But with
Published April 4th 2019 by HarperCollins

Start your review of Cruel Acts (Maeve Kerrigan #8)
Paromjit
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's a joy to read Jane Casey's latest addition to the DS Maeve Kerrigan of the London Met police series, which has become a favourite of mine. A major reason for that is the often spiky but close and complex relationship between Maeve and her partner and superior, DI Josh Derwent. Josh has no qualms about picking on her personal life, she has none since her break up with Rob Langton. She has been struggling to get over it, pouring all her energies into the job, a job she has a real talent for, ...more
Liz Barnsley
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this series so much. It's been a bit of a wait for this one but trust me it's worth every minute.

Here's what I know about the Kerrigan series generally.

It has the best "friendship" in fiction out there at the moment within the ever changing ebb and flow of the relationship between Maeve Kerrigan and Josh Derwent.

The mystery elements are always stunningly immersive, clever and relevant whilst being amongst some of the most addictive plots out there.

Beautifully written always.

Cruel Acts
Amanda
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Although this is the 8th book in the Maeve Kerrigan series, I have to confess I have not read the others in this series but I could not help but want to read this book immediately!!

Leo Stone was in prison after being found guilty of killing 2 women, but now there are doubts that he is guilty and is released from prison.

D.S Maeve Kerrigan and D.I josh Derwent are convinced he is guilty and are determined that at the retrial he will be found guilty and sent back to prison. Leo is adamant he is in
Lou
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bestselling crime writer Jane Casey is back with the eighth instalment in the gripping DS Maeve Kerrigan series, and once again it is packed with the gritty realism we have come to expect from Ms Casey. Although part of a popular and long-running series these books work perfectly as standalones as each plot is contained to that particular episode. If you appreciate your crime fiction to be authentic and based in fact then this is not to be missed; every tale the author tells is infused with beli ...more
Louise Wilson
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Maieve Kerrigan #8

Leo Stone had been convicted of murder but a lawyer has lodged an appeal. It seems some of the jurors had looked up his past crimes and found him guilty for them and not just the crime he was being tried for. So there's now a case for miscarriage of justice. Leo Stone is released and it's not long before a woman goes missing in similar circumstances Leo was charged with. Is it a copycat offender or is Leo back re-offending.

DS Maive Kerrigan and DI Josh Derwent are the officers
Gary
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the 8th full length novel in the Maeve Kerrigan series by the excellent author Jane Casey.
I have been looking forward to this book for sometime and it was well worth the wait.
Maeve Kerrigan is an ambitious young detective constable based in London. When convicted murderer Leo Stone is released DS Maeve Kerrigan and DI Josh Derwent are determined to put Stone back behind bars. Leo Stone states he is a victim of a miscarriage of justice, but Kerrigan is convinced he was rightfully convict
Rachel Hall
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The eighth instalment in the superior police procedural series featuring uptight and conscientious DS Maeve Kerrigan and her sparring partner, DI Josh Derwent, once again makes for a riveting read, despite starting with the hackneyed premise of a serial killer preying on attractive female victims. Thankfully Jane Casey breathes new life into an overused set-up and the compelling characterisation and team dynamics of Maeve Kerrigan and the Murder Investigation Team mean Cruel Acts is head and sho ...more
Miriam Smith
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rachel
I haven’t read any Jane Casey books before and realise now that I have been massively missing out. ‘Cruel Acts’ is the eighth book in the DS Maeve Kerrigan series, though I would never have realised it, as this book can be read and easily followed as a stand-alone.
I was engrossed from the first page and thoroughly addicted to the storyline. I loved the relationship between Maeve and DI Josh Derwent and feel the author has produced one the best fictional police partnerships I’ve recently read.
I
Elaine Tomasso
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank Netgalley and HarperCollins UK, Harper Fiction for an advance copy of Cruel Acts, the eighth police procedural to feature DS Maeve Kerrigan of the Met.

Maeve and her boss, DI Josh Derwent are asked to re-investigate the case of Leo Stone who was convicted of two murders but released on appeal after a year in prison. Derwent and his superiors see it as a case of confirming their evidence for the retrial, Maeve isn’t so sure and becomes preoccupied with a potential third victi
Roman Clodia
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hands up, I'm not a fan of the 'serial killer abducting and torturing young women' genre... but, but this is Jane Casey, right? So while the basic plot-line is very familiar, what Casey adds is an acute interest in characterisation, pulled off to supremely creepy effect.

Less stellar is Maeve herself in this outing - after so many books (and I've been with her from the start) it would be nice to see Maeve relaxing her rigid, untouchable stance with her colleagues - but no, she's *still* uptight,
Manda
May 26, 2020 rated it liked it
I’m really struggling to read during this COVID-19 global pandemic of 2020. Normally reading is such a comfort, but I can’t lose myself in books the way I usually do. I’m not sure what impact this’ll have on my ratings.

Having said that, I loved this instalment of the Maeve Kerrigan and Josh Derwent series. They have an oddly dysfunctional working relationship, but it mostly works for them, and is certainly compelling for me. Another great story with twists and turns along the way.

My rating stra
Leah
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, crime, 2019
A thriller, a chiller and a serial killer...

Leo Stone was convicted of killing two women and sentenced to life imprisonment. But now one of the jurors has revealed that the jury broke the rules and as a result his conviction is certain to be overturned when it comes before the Appeals Court. There will be a retrial, but Superintendent Godley wants to make certain that he’s convicted again, so Detective Sergeant Maeve Kerrigan and Detective Inspector Josh Derwent are assigned to reinvestigate the
Joanna Park
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cruel Acts is one of the best crime mysteries I’ve read recently and helped me get out of the reading slump I was in.

I was immediately drawn into the story and intrigued by the idea that a miscarriage of justice could have been done. I was wondering how the story would unfold, what with it being a cold case, but the author is very clever with the way new information about the case is discovered. This is done in a realistic and subtle way with the author slowly revealing holes in the original inv
Lynn
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-reads-2019
I have been waiting for the next book in the Maeve Kerrigan series to be published so I was very happy and eager to read Cruel Acts when it was released. I didn't want to get on a waiting list to read so purchased the book. All of the Maeve Kerrigan books in the series have been very good. I think this book was perhaps my favorite so far of the books. The series doesn't get stale but seems to get better and better.

I am not going to write a synopsis of the plot as others have done that. I like t
Megan
I love Jane Casey's mysteries and characters SO MUCH.

rtc.
Paula
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the few consistently good (excellent,really) series.
Heidi
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just love this series! Book 8 offered everything I have come to expect from Jane Casey - a well-plotted gritty police procedural. All the characters I have come to love over the previous 7 books were back, which made this one irresistible for me. I look forward to the next book in the series.
Janet
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cruel Acts is book eight in the Maeve Kerrigan series and features all the usual suspects from Kerrigan to the ever charming, Josh Derwent, whom I adore!

Leo Stone, is a criminal convicted of killing two women and serving a life sentence without parole. The trial, however, looks as though it may have had issues that throw the sentence into question therefore Kerrigan and Derwent are called to examine the evidence. Another body is found with a similar modus operandi to Stone's crimes but how coul
Rachel Bridgeman
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
HUZZAH! The tremendulant (copyright @BookishChat) Maeve Kerrigan returns in this, her 8th outing as if she has never been away!

She and Derwent are bickering like an old married couple as they try to determine Leo's innocence or guilt in the cases of 3 murders-2 bodies found and the third tied to Leo with evidence which at best is cicrumstantial. Is Leo guilty of these crimes? Was he working with someone else or is he guilty of entirely different crimes?

This book twists and turns as it plays with
Meghan
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great one, definitely one of my favorites. Casey really know how to keep you engaged through interviews and other parts that would otherwise seem tedious if they were done even a little differently. I like how realistically Maeve's character has developed over time.
Beautifully written and engaging, as usual. I can't wait for the next one, I will definitely be preordering again.
One aspect I'm frustrated by is the stagnation of Maeve's relationship with Derwent. Either kiss or decide to
Kate
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another excellent novel in the Maeve Kerrigan series. As usual, the relationship between Kaerrigan and her DI Derwent, which fairly sizzles at times, takes centre stage but the 'cruel acts' of the title give this serial killer mystery its menace and tension, and real sense of evil. Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
Pgchuis
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: hardback
3.5* rounded rounded down.

I think I must have had too long a gap between instalment #7 and this one, but the Maeve/Rob/Derwent dynamic felt a bit tired to me. The set-up was interesting and the plot moved along fairly quickly, but I wasn't sure why everyone was so quick to hang Maeve out to dry for meeting with Kelly at the beginning. The identity of the culprit came a bit out of left field and suggested a poor level of intelligence gathering all along the line. The final scenes in Leo's bathroo
Julie Lacey
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fast paced book that I didn’t want to put down.
This is the eighth book in this series with DS Maeve Kerrigan. I haven’t read any of the previous books in the series but I still enjoyed it.
Leo Stone, a convicted murderer is serving life but when one of the jurors at his trial writes a book it is revealed that the jury may have been prejudiced.
As a result, Stone is released pending a re-trial.
The police then only have a short period of time to review the evidence of the case.
DS Maeve Kerriga
peggy
Another in the DS Mauve Kerrigan series. Leo Stone a convicted killer who is about to be released pending a new trial. It seems that a member of the original jury has written a book, stating that during the original trial he looked up Leo on the internet and then discussed his findings with other members of the original jury. This is against the law hence Leo is released. After he is released another woman goes missing. Is this Leo or a copycat?
It is now upto DS Mauve Kerrigan and her boss DI Jo
Pat Simpson
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the eighth book in the series featuring DS Maeve Kerrigan, Maeve and DI Josh Derwent are called upon to reinvestigate a case, Leo Stone, who was convicted and given a life sentence for the murder of two women, is released from prison after a miscarriage of justice. He is still claiming his innocence so it is up to Maeve and Josh to determine whether he is guilty or not. Maeve is the only person not convinced that Stone did murder the women. She investigates another case of a young woman ...more
Hannelore Cheney
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great one in this terrific series. I love Maeve Kerrigan and have a crush on Josh Derwent. Can't wait for the next one (no. 9) coming out in April. Highly recommended!
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book reviews on www.snazzybooks.com

Cruel Acts is a brilliantly written novel featuring Maeve Kerrigan, a strong and likable DS whose working relationship with colleague and sort-of-mentor Josh Derwent is a truly interesting one at times! They clash a LOT, especially when Derwent is poking his nose into Maeve's business, but it just seems to work - and makes for entertaining reading too!

I really liked that this novel has elements of a cold case in it, by way of exploring Leo Stone's involvment in
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I love most about this series is the relationship between Maeve and Derwent; just when I think they are going to get together, something one of them says makes me think they will always be frenemies, or friends, or, ooooh I don't know, which is why I love reading about them.
The crime itself (a re-opened case due to a mis-trial) is a good one, with plenty of twists and turns. I particularly liked the epigraph at the start of the book, as this added another little element of intrigue. Should
janine
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are some books that you read that you whizz through, not always taking the full story in and then there are those that you truly savour, reading every last morsel... I devoured this one!

There are so many action packed twists and turns throughout the whole story, every chapter feels it's in HD and the twist at the end was fantastically written, I honestly didnt have a clue how it was going to wrap up.

The relationship between Maeve and her partner DI Josh Derwent pans out amazingly, portray
Sid Nuncius
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jane Casey is a class act in crime fiction and Cruel Acts is another good instalment of the Maeve Kerrigan series.

It needs someone with Casey’s skill to make a good book from this, because there’s a lot of very familiar stuff (alone and confronted by the killer...of course) and, to me, some very off-putting plot elements – especially the serial killer torturing and killing women theme, of which I have had quite enough now, thank you. Nonetheless, Casey’s ability to create very real, human charac

• The Split
  • Six Wicked Reasons
  • After the Fire (An Inspector Tom Reynolds Mystery)
  • The Dilemma
  • The Family Upstairs
  • The Museum of Broken Promises
  • Break the Silence (Detectives Kane and Alton, #7)
  • Conviction
  • At Your Door (DCI Anna Tate, #2)
  • Twisted
  • 17 Church Row
  • The Neighbour
  • The Nothing Man
  • Secret Service
  • Never Be Broken (DI Marnie Rome, #6)
  • The Roommates
  • A Love of Two Halves
  • Blood Rites (DI Kelly Porter, #6)
She studied English at Jesus College, Oxford, followed by an mPhil in Anglo-Irish Literature at Trinity College, Dublin

Maeve Kerrigan (9 books)
  • The Burning (Maeve Kerrigan, #1)
  • The Reckoning (Maeve Kerrigan, #2)
  • The Last Girl (Maeve Kerrigan, #3)
  • The Stranger You Know (Maeve Kerrigan, #4)
  • The Kill (Maeve Kerrigan, #5)
  • After the Fire (Maeve Kerrigan, #6)
  • Let the Dead Speak (Maeve Kerrigan, #7)
  • The Cutting Place (Maeve Kerrigan #9)

News & Interviews