Start by marking “He Is Legend: An Anthology Celebrating Richard Matheson” as Want to Read:
He Is Legend: An Anthology Celebrating Richard Matheson

He Is Legend: An Anthology Celebrating Richard Matheson

An anthology of original stories paying tribute to acclaimed short stories and novels of Richard Matheson. Includes the first collaboration between father/son Stephen King and Joe Hill. Also includes work by Whitley Strieber, F. Paul Wilson, Joe Lansdale, John Shirley as well as a collaboration between Matheson and the late Charles Beaumont ("Conjure Wife").
Published February 1st 2009 by Gauntlet Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about He Is Legend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about He Is Legend

Trudi
Jul 23, 2010 rated it liked it
First off I’m not a huge fan of the short story. You won’t usually catch me gobbling down anthologies or collections by the dozen. Stephen King, Shirley Jackson and Flannery O’Connor – these are the only authors I will go out of my way to read their short stuff. So when I heard that Joe Hill and Stephen King were collaborating on an original story for this collection I was sold. I do love Richard Matheson and one good thing about this anthology is that I’m now determined to read more of him, esp ...more
JG (The Introverted Reader)
I haven't read that much Richard Matheson, just one short story collection containing I am Legend, but I enjoyed it immensely. I don't remember where I came across this collection, but when I saw the combination of Richard Matheson, Joe Hill, and Stephen King, I added it to my wishlist. Like any anthology, this was a mixed bag, but pretty strong overall.

"Throttle" by Joe Hill and Stephen King--I found this, not surprisingly, to be the strongest story in the collection. It was an edge-of-your-se
Andrew
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a total surprise to me - I was actually looking at short stories from one of the authors who contribute to this collection and stumbled across this anthology. Don't get me wrong I have read quite a bit of Richard matheson's work from I am legends to the incredible shrinking man and numerous short stories. However through all of that I had never heard of this 2009 project to create an anthology celebrating his work while at the same time creating new works as well (they took the ide ...more
James Mourgos
Oct 03, 2011 rated it liked it

I picked up "He is Legend" because I've always been a great admirer of Richard Matheson mainly through his film and television scripts and adaptations, some of the more famous being "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" (Twilight Zone) and "The Incredible Shrinking Man". As well, the most interesting being his story "I Am Legend" from which the Vincent Price film "Last Man on Earth" was filmed from (and of course more recently, "I Am Legend" the film with star Will Smith).

Anyway, this book is a different t
Sherry
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is by far one of the best short story collections I have ever read. It helps that all of the writers are stars and they are saluting one of the all time great writers, Richard Matheson. I especially liked the collaboration between Stephen King and Joe Hill based on Matheson's story "Duel". Not only was it an excellent story, it took it to a new level and depth that I appreciated.

I also especially liked Nancy Collins story which was a prequel to "Hell House". One of my favorite Matheson sto
Michelle Plass
Jan 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love Richard Matheson and I looooved this book!

My favorites:

Recalled...This one was modeled after Matheson's original tale 'The Distributor'. For some reason I wasn't the biggest fan of that story but I loved this story! Great twists and a very satisfying ending.

I am Legend, too....I am Legend is perhaps my favorite Matheson tale and I loved how this story told a bit of the back story and explained why Ben had such an obsession with Bob Neville.

Two Shots from Flys Photo Gallery....I got a bit
Kevin
Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge Richard Matheson fan, and this tribute short story compilation did not disappoint. The stories are set before or after, and with a different take on, his original short stories. The Stephen King and Joe Hill, his son, story was fantastic, as was the Hell House prequel, and the I am Legend prequel. Even if you have not read any of his stuff previous enough context is provided to make each story interesting on its own. Still there are a few duds but the vast majority of the stories are ...more
Kilgallen
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Overall this was a good solid collection of stories.As always when there are various authors involved some stories were better then others and some were easier to read then others. I will say that there were no stories included that I did not enjoy. This collection will be enjoyed, obviously, by fans of Richard Matheson. I think that it will also be enjoyed by horror and short story fans.
Jul 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror-novels
As a fan of Matheson's work, I was very excited when I found this collection in the book section of dollar tree. Well worth the dollar I paid to add it to my collection. Highly recommended. Highlight, the prequel to Hell House. I would love to see a new adaptation that incorporated some of the ideas of the prequel with the original book, perhaps a mini series???
Michael
Aug 19, 2010 rated it liked it
I enjoyed quite a few of the stories just as stories (King/Hill, Wilson, and Lansdale's especially), but as a "Celebration" of Matheson, it bothered me a little. These prequels, sequels, and inspired bys all felt like they took a little something away, or lessened the impact of the original works.
Daniel
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great collection of stories honoring the feel of Matheson. Each voice still unique. And each story great.
Julian Stone
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book. And great idea for a book. Really fun to read a lot of different writer's takes on the work of the great Richard Matheson.
Mark
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In retrospect I should have read the stories that inspired this book first. However I found that they stand on their own perfectly fine without reading the Matheson tales beforehand, (although I did reserve a "best of Matheson" book at the library after I checked this out, and I had seen the filmed adaptations of a few of the originals).
As in most short story collections, the styles and quality vary widely, but I enjoyed most of them.
Recommended, whether you're a fan of Matheson, or merely a lov
Bondama
Feb 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've been reading these two collections, "Songs to a Dying Earth" for Jack Vance, and "He is Legend" for Richard Matheson, so I could compare and contrast the two collections. Trouble is, they are vastly unequal.

"Dying Earth" includes a story by Neil Gaiman, and "He is Legend," a collaboration between Stephen King and his son, Joe Hill. Up front, I have to confess that although I've read some Jack Vance, I'm not nearly as familiar with his "Dying Earth" series as I am with the author of "I Am Le
Peter
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
A collection of short stories honoring Richard Matheson, legend of horror, by some other famous and not-so-famous authors. Each story is either a sequel, prequel, alternate point of view, or otherwise inspired by something in Matheson's work.

I like Matheson's work, and if this book taught me one thing it's that I haven't read much of it, as I didn't remember many of the stories (but many of his stories that I do remember liking aren't dealt with). And that's a problem when many stories don't rea
Lea Ann
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Beware of found books.

I found this book in our office kitchen area. Was it discarded - was someone hoping to rid themselves of a unwanted burden? Or was it someone, like me, who likes to leave reading material around when I'm finished in case someone else finds themselves in need?

So this book sat in the drawer of my desk until I was abruptly called to a doctors appointment and this went along as some last minute waiting room material. I've heard of Richard Matheson in the way that I was vaguel
David Agranoff
Jan 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Richard Matheson is one of the greatest living writers in any genre but in the fields of Science Fiction and Horror he is a giant. To the mainstream you can always say he is the guy who wrote and name any of several classics. People know and love his work but often don’t know his name. The man behind several of the best Twilight zones, I am Legend, Somewhere in Time and Duel to name a few.

He is Legend is a long overdue tribute to Matheson. This anthology has sequels and companion pieces to Mathe
Kristen Taylor
This anthology was just meh to me. I thought maybe this collection will make me want to read from the authors I've never heard of. Nope. The stories for me were just okay with the exception of "Return to Hell House". That story was very good and the only story that I enjoyed. Even the story Stephen King did with his son was just blah to me. This anthology did make me want to read more from Matheson which was my whole reason for picking up this book. If you like horror short stories and want to e ...more
Kei
Aug 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
Weird.
This, unlike the last couple of anthologies I have read, ranged the spectrum from meh to awesome.
Then again, there are certain types of horror I never developed a taste for.
I also found myself being torn between the urge to go out and read a bunch more Matheson, since he spawned this, and to never read anything else by him.... going back to the meh to awesome.
There were a couple of really good stories in here, however. I wouldn't recommend buying the book, but poke a library, and see which
Peter Damien
Dec 28, 2010 rated it liked it
The problem with this book of variations/sequels/prequels and so forth based on the stories and novels of Richard Matheson is...too often, when I was reading a story and going "this is REALLY clever," the bit I was finding clever was the bit from Matheson's original work, and never from this new attempt.

To put it simply, even when they were enjoyable, none of these stories did anything new, and not always anything interesting. And when they were clever, it was always because of the element from
Shannon
Jun 08, 2012 rated it liked it
NOTE: My review is ONLY for "Throttle," the short story from Joe Hill and Stephen King, as I didn't have time to get through the entire anthology. Considering how terrifying Hill and King can be on their own, I thought this story was a bit flat. At the end I thought, "That's it?" This is not the mental statement I generally finish their stories with - I'm a bit disappointed. The story was good, just not as blood-pressure-gushing as I expected.
David
Feb 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of short stories based in the worlds of Richard Matheson. If you've enjoyed his stories you'll probably enjoy these tributes. I particularly enjoyed Stephen King and Joe Hills' take on Duel called 'Throttle'. My other favorites were 'Return to Hell House', 'I Am Legend, Too', and the sequel to Prey 'Quarry' (as seen in the 1975 tv movie Trilogy of Terror with the killer Zuni doll)
Peggy
Jul 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'm a Matheson fan, so I came to this anthology with high hopes. I wasn't disappointed. The editor assumes that anyone interested in this anthology is well aware of who Matheson is and is already familiar with his stories. In most cases, the short description of the Matheson story that inspired the new story is enough to jog the reader's memory. Given that “Prey” is my favorite Matheson story, and that Joe R. Lansdale is one of my favorite authors, it's no surprise that “Quarry” tops my list.
Vincent Darlage
Oct 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This was a pretty credible collection of stories based on or inspired by the classic horror/sci-fi stories by Richard Matheson. I recommend it to fans of Matheson. It even includes a story by Matheson's son, and a collaboration between Stephen King and Joe Hill (king's son). Well done collection.
Dorothy
This an anthology of stories honoring the talent of Richard Matheson. Authors included are STephen King and his son, Joe Hill, Joe R. Lansdale, F. Paul Wilson, and others. Enjoyed most of the stories, except for the last one by Whitley Strieber. That one just didn't grab me, so I ended up skimming it.
Brice
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the best authors writing today contribute to this anthology that pays tribute to Richard Matheson. Nearly every story is a hit with only one true stumble - Whitley Streiber is one writer I will never be able to read. Easily one of my favorite anthologies.
Tim Dunn
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Not the great collection of stories I was hoping for but a fairly good read nonetheless. Certainly reminiscient of much of Matheson's work, though written by other authors. A good read if you like short stories.
Christine
Oct 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, short-stories
Awesome so far, but I've only read the first story, which is a short by Stephen King and Joe Hill. That one alone is enough to pick up the book. :) I do heart Matheson though, so I was biased going in.
Scott Williams
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this a very satisfying tribute to Matheson and a very entertaining read. My favorites were Nancy Collins' "Return to Hell House" and Mick Garris' "I Am Legend, Too." for me, the weakest link was Stephen King's "Throttle."
Eddie Puente
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Matheson is undoubtedly onethe of all time masters of messing with your mind. This collection of shorts by many greats themselves is a fast read. Worth reading !

• Shock Rock, Volume I
  • Best New Horror 14 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #14)
  • My Favorite Horror Story
  • Tales of Terror: 58 Short Stories Chosen by the Master of Suspense
  • Gathering the Bones
  • Shadow Show: All-New Stories in Celebration of Ray Bradbury
  • World War Cthulhu: A Collection of Lovecraftian War Stories
  • The Living Dead 2 (The Living Dead, #2)
  • Dark Delicacies (Dark Delicacies, #1)
  • Collected Stories, Vol. 2