Start by marking “The Fourfold Path to Healing: Working with the Laws of Nutrition, Therapeutics, Movement, and Meditation in the Art of Medicine” as Want to Read:

"I had not encountered Dr. Thomas Cowan before reviewing this book--boy, have I been missing something!... This book is probably the best self-help guide for the healing arts that has ever been written" --Nancy Parsons, waldorfbooks.com

"Readers will be pleased to know that its author, Dr. Thomas Cowan, combines the best of Eastern and Western esoteric wisdom in the heali
Published October 1st 2012 by New Trends Publishing (first published November 15th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Fourfold Path to Healing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fourfold Path to Healing

Jodi
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: health-books
I'm a big fan of the Weston A Price website, as well as Nourishing Traditions and Eat Fat, Lose Fat by Sally Fallon.

But this book... was just not up to that high standard.

For every useful fact on diet there was so many more very ignorant, simplistic and even offensive bits of nonsense, and airy fairy silliness. (About which planet is linked with which metal, and which bodily organ, and how this affects which homeopathic remedies you need, for example.)

The information on vitamin C was of an appal
Devon Hernandez
Jun 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books. It's amazing, especially the chapter on how the heart and circulatory system REALLY work, as opposed to how the established medical community "assumes" it works. Highly recommended read.
Holli
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Cowan looks at the whole person--the physical body, the life-force body, the emotional body, and the mental body. I have found his advice helpful over the years and I refer to this book often. I like a doctor who views the body through the lens of poetry as well as science. Amazing!
travelmel
Oct 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a really good book about supplements, health, and naturalpathic medicine. I almost felt like I could open my own practice with just this book to guide me. I don't agree with EVERYTHING but there is a really large wealth of information here. All the info is easy to read, understand, and seems practical. A very good book for somebody looking to solve some of their health woe's that traditional medicine is SUCKING at. There are alot of traditional herbs and old fashioned type medicines expl ...more
Francine
Aug 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book was a disappointment. I discovered it while reading others about nutrition and holistic approaches.
On the face of it this book is organized. It has narrative, drawings and sidebars. However, while it offers additional reading, those sources are repetitive and there are no citations to scientific research to support their narrative.
Not recommended.
Nicki Ferguison
Mar 08, 2011 rated it liked it
So many books telling us different things. As a vegetarian, I am still reading it with an open mind (the authors are Pro-dairy and red meats). But I do like to see all sides of health and what foods people recommend.
Vidda Chan
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, reference
This is a reference book, to be picked up as needed after having read it at least once.
Gdaiva
This is what real doctor should be! Love dr. Cowan!
Stephanie
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
Wholistic health overview. Great resource.
Christina
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
very informative..enlightening...very different from the mainstream thought process on nutrition and health but most of it makes complete sense.
Audrey
Feb 12, 2016 rated it liked it
more prescription and specific than I thought it would be. alot of studied information
Lael
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Hard to follow with too many complicated theories for me.
Anne
Aug 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
So pissed that I spent good money on this. I should have started reading it when I first got it, at least then I could have returned it to B&N for store credit.
Justin
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: diet, health
Contains recommendations for homeopathy and other less scientifically supported modalities.
Mentions Cayce as a leader in functional medicine. I am not sure how I feel about Cayce, some of his ideas seem good but some of them don't. Since they are supposedly channeled it's hard to render an opinion on them. That being said, Cayce seemed fairly against animal consumption which makes it hard to understand how he could be lauded here without at least explaining that part away.

I'm not sure who Cayce
Dnicebear
Jan 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
I 'won' this book through a bid I placed in an auction to raise money for Soul Food Farm to replace their chicken houses lost in a fire. But I was interested in an anthroposophical approach to healing, I am fascinated by Cowan's multi-layered approach. Some of it's quite counter cultural--for example, our bodies need us to eat fat, and women my age being free to gain a few pounds is healthy. I also made one visit to this doctor, and I am in my third month of adjusting my diet based on his recomm ...more
Mandy
Feb 04, 2013 rated it liked it
A good reference for beginners.
Joseph
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An interesting approach to examining diseases like heart disease, cancer, similar to Louise Hay's You can Heal your life book.
Jeniann
Jul 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: health
Quite an interesting book; it has helped me with health in some areas
Angela
Mar 21, 2010 is currently reading it
Some folks consider this a companion book to Nourishing Traditions. Been meaning to get it for a long while; finally picked it up.
Tami
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
This might not look like a book that can be read from cover to cover, but it is. I loved Cowan's insight.
Angela
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not convinced by it at all and feel that I need to do more research for myself. I'm sure there are benefits from eating/ drinking bone broth but in moderation with a balanced diet.
Greta
Sep 07, 2013
Scott Arnold
Aug 29, 2014

• Full Moon Feast: Food and the Hunger for Connection
  • Traditional Foods Are Your Best Medicine: Improving Health and Longevity with Native Nutrition
  • Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats
  • Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series)
  • Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills
  • The Untold Story of Milk: Green Pastures, Contented Cows and Raw Dairy Products
  • Nutrition and Physical Degeneration: A Comparison of Primitive and Modern Diets and Their Effects
  • Know Your Fats: The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats, Oils and Cholesterol
  • The Healer's Manual: A Beginner's Guide to Energy Healing for Yourself and Others
  • Cure Tooth Decay: Heal and Prevent Cavities with Nutrition
  • The Whole Soy Story: The Dark Side of America's Favorite Health Food
  • Healing Lyme: Natural Prevention and Treatment of Lyme Borreliosis and Its Coinfections
  • A Modern Herbal, Vol. I
  • The Herbalist's Way: The Art and Practice of Healing with Plant Medicines
  • Synchronicity: Science, Myth, and the Trickster
  • Organic Housekeeping: In Which the Non-Toxic Avenger Shows You How to Improve Your Health and That of Your Family, While You Save Time, Money, and, Perhaps, Your Sanity
  • Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods
  • Living Green: A Practical Guide to Simple Sustainability
“A diet rich in readily available nutrients allows the bones to mineralize properly, particularly during gestation and early development, and gives the teeth immunity to decay throughout the stresses of life. Not surprisingly, he found that the native diets that conferred such good health on healthy, so-called primitive groups were rich in minerals, particularly calcium and phosphorus, necessary for healthy bones and teeth. What is surprising about the work of Weston Price is his discovery that these healthy diets always contained a good source of what he called "fat-soluble activators," nutrients like vitamin A and vitamin D, and another vitamin he discovered called Activator X or the Price Factor. These nutrients are found only in certain animal fats. Foods that provided these nutrients were considered sacred by the healthy groups he studied. These foods included liver and other organ meats from grazing animals; fish eggs; fish liver oils; fish and shellfish; and butter from cows eating rapidly growing green grass from well-mineralized pastures. Price concluded that without a rich supply of these fat-soluble nutrients, the body cannot properly use the minerals in food. These fat-soluble nutrients also nourish the glands and organs to give healthy indigenous peoples plenty of immunity during times of stress.” 0 likes
“What Dr. Price's work teaches us is that the absolute fundamental requirement of healthy diets cannot be found in pasta, nor vegetable juices, nor oat bran, nor olive
oil, but only in certain types of animal fats. These fats come from animals who consume green, growing organisms (such as grass and plankton), or who consume other animals that have consumed green, growing organisms (such as insects). What is tragic is the difficulty in finding such foods today. Most of our dairy cows spend their entire lives in confinement and never see green grass; chickens are kept in pens and fed mostly grains; pigs are raised in factories and never see sunlight; even fish are now raised in fish farms and given inappropriate feed, like soy pellets.
Even worse, most people avoid these foods today because medical spokesmen claim they cause cancer, heart disease or weight gain, even though a number of highly qualified scientists have admirably refuted these charges. Suffice it to say that the patient who is afraid of consuming foods containing animal fats and cholesterol will make no headway in his efforts to improve his diet as these foods are absolutely vital for good health.”
0 likes