Start by marking “Yoga: The Iyengar Way” as Want to Read:
Yoga: The Iyengar Way

Yoga: The Iyengar Way

A lavishly illustrated yoga book--a step-by-step guide to the Iyengar yoga method. Certain to be adopted as the new standard work by the hundreds of thousands of Iyengar students and followers around the world.
Published April 7th 1990 by Knopf Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Yoga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yoga

melissa
Mar 13, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Years ago when I was a serious student of yoga I was told that this was the only book to have. I still believe this to be true. Straightforward instruction on asanas with a clean layout and lots of information.
Hannah O'Reilly
Jul 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga
Fabulous beginner descriptions of poses in big glossy pictures. This is a fantastic entry into the basics and details of poses. It has breakdowns of what is happening in an easy-to-understand way as well as modifications which can come in very useful. A must-have reference guide for yoga teachers and students alike.
Julie
Mar 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The best yoga book by far. I use it at least once or twice a week to give me inspiration on my home practice. It's a classic.
Kay Coughlin
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is outstanding practice companion, no matter what kind of yoga you practice. Destined to be a classic for many years to come.
Alexandra
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga, instructional
Great reference book and primer for teachers and students of all levels.
Maria Devine Ogino
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Any yogi should read this book.
Tessa
Nov 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone practicing yoga
Recommended to Tessa by: Mom
Shelves: health
I highly recommend this illustrative guide to anyone interested in learning or strengthening their practice of the asanas. It is a complete step-by-step guide to the positions themselves as well as a beneficial introduction to the rest of the "eight limbs" of yoga.

This book also includes several practice courses and recommended positions to alleviate various adverse conditions from backache to depression. I was also very interested in the chapter on pranayama (advanced breathing techniques) - th
KarmA1966
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
a great entry if you want to start an Iyengar yoga practice. The book provides photos for each posture and a description of how to perform the posture. If you'd not practiced yoga before I'd highly reccommend finding a nearby course, preferably an Iyengar course, so you can receive expert teaching on how to perform the postures. The Iyengar branch of yoga is extremely specific on how to practice each posture, it's almost militaristic in it's approach to postures, but I've found that by following ...more
Megan O'Laughlin
Nov 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
This is the book I used when I first started doing yoga in my little house when I served in the Peace Corps. Although nothing replaces having an actual teacher guide you, this book does a good job with providing an overview of the practice and great pictures of poses. It also gives suggestions for practice themes in the back.
Emily
Jul 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga-books
This was a great book when I was starting out in my practice and beginning to teach. It helped me think about poses in an in depth manner that was a bit outside of the scope of my particular training. I enjoy being able to learn new details and ways to communicate to a variety of students while teaching.
Amy
Feb 17, 2009 added it
Had to get this for a yoga class I took and I really enjoyed it. The illustrations were very helpful and it had a lot of tips in it for modifications which was really helpful for beginners and tips for "working in the pose" for poses where you need a bit more of a challenge. If you are into Yoga are are new to it, I suggest checking out...especially if you are in a class, its really helpful.
Mandy Londer
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent large color photos and accompanying descriptions of entering the pose. Some of the verbiage is outdated (I suppose depending on your lineage of practice) however still an incredible reference for students and teachers. Use of props in this book is especially useful and of course tied to BKS Iyengar's style of yoga.
Tom
Feb 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for beginners (qualifier: better to have taken a certain number of classes first). Focuses on a smaller number of postures than the encyclopedic _Light on Yoga_, but has a number of motivational tips and insights. Perhaps there could be more illustrations/alternatives for students who can't fully accomplish the postures, but that would greatly increase the size of the book.
Kdaca
Jan 08, 2015 added it
Almost always in use. It offers visual reminders of where a lot of the Pilates and other fitness mat work come from, not to mention the intended difficulty level of certain asanas and Western mat work moves that are taught in the US today.
Triseugeny
Jun 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Has to be my favorite yoga books, besides "Light on Yoga." Basic to slightly intermediate. Good pictures, detailed just enough. If you are looking for something more basic try her other book, "How to Use Yoga" and the more intermediate, "Light on Yoga."
Cyndee
Jun 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I lost my original copy of this useful book and just bought another. There is nothing better for demonstrating asanas and for learning the Sanskrit names. A useful tool for Yoga teachers and students.
Jenni
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have had this book with me in different countries for over 10 years. It is a great reference book and includes in the back pages particular asanas / poses to focus on for particular physical complaints.
Heather
Apr 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
My sister owned a copy of this book long before I did. I used to borrow her copy to practice the poses in the book. I recommend this book for anyone with an interest in yoga. The pictures are fantastic!a
J
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book
Beth
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good reference book for poses. Not too advanced or complicated. Very straight forward with pictures.
Natalie
Jan 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Natalie by: Barrett Lauck
Read with 30-day yoga program by Barrett Lauck: classic reference.
Rachel
Jun 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: yogis of all levels
Shelves: whatdoibelieve
Fabulous pictures, descriptions, ways to get deeper into postures, beginner variations, and asana details. Highly recommended!
Zelda
Jan 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
possibly my most read and definitely most battered book!
Wozilla
Jul 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a quality book on correct asanas
Emily
Sep 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga, body-mind
the first yoga book i purchased. excellent resource.
Kate
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga
A classic for your yoga library.
Dani
Mar 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga, read-in-2011
Great tool for breaking down classic yoga poses. Using it in my Yoga teacher training is really helpful!
Susan
Feb 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga
Useful book even for those not teaching or practicing Iyengar specifically. Very clear photos and good instructions.
Erica O'Shea
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Inspiring, a little daunting, but very useful and clear. A wonderful resource.
Misha
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great images with modifications and props and sequences for specific diseases.
  • Yoga: the Path to Holistic Health
  • Yoga: A Gem for Women
  • Yoga Mind, Body & Spirit: A Return to Wholeness
  • Power Yoga: The Total Strength and Flexibility Workout
  • Yoga The Spirit And Practice Of Moving Into Stillness
  • Back Care Basics: A Doctor's Gentle Yoga Program for Back and Neck Pain Relief
  • Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times
  • Anatomy of Movement
  • Yoga Nidra
  • Hatha Yoga Pradipika
  • Jivamukti Yoga: Practices for Liberating Body and Soul
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • Ashtanga Yoga: The Practice Manual