Start by marking “Dark in Death (In Death, #46)” as Want to Read:
Dark in Death (In Death, #46)

Dark in Death

(In Death #46)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  17,150 ratings  ·  1,545 reviews
It was a stab in the dark.

On a chilly February night, during a screening of Psycho in midtown, someone sunk an ice pick into the back of Chanel Rylan’s neck, then disappeared quietly into the crowds of drunks and tourists in Times Square. To Chanel’s best friend, who had just slipped out of the theater for a moment to take a call, it felt as unreal as the ancient black-and
Published January 30th 2018 by St. Martin's Press

·  17,150 ratings  ·  1,545 reviews

Start your review of Dark in Death (In Death, #46)
Allison Brennan
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’m a reader first and foremost. I love books; I’ve loved books since I was a toddler and would bring my grandpa a stack of my “favorites” to read every night before bed. According to my mother, my grandpa would try and skip pages or hide a couple books under the couch cushion, but I would always catch him and demand (I’m sure in a very cute way) that he read every page in every book I brought.

My love for stories has grown with me. I read every Trixie Belden and every Nancy Drew, and as I migrat
Jilly
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing

This Book 46! in the series was even better than many of the more recent ones. It was like some of the mojo that was lost in the middle somewhere came roaring back in for this book.

Eve was edgier, snarkier, more cop-like.
...Well, damn. I was going to give you quotes, but my e-reader decided that I was running on empty for too long and shut me out. You just have to take my word for it. She uses the f-word both liberally and expeditiously - you know, like a real cop might be inclined to do. We al
Phrynne
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5000-books
As usual Robb starts her book with a killer of an opening scene (pun intended). I am going to the cinema this afternoon myself and if anyone is sitting behind me I think I might feel a teeny bit uncomfortable.

Dark in Death is another totally enjoyable book in this great series. After the gripping start it turned into one of the quieter books. There was a heap of police procedure, Roarke and Eve were in a good place, Eve didn't get attacked or shot and we all knew who the murderer was in plenty
Ira
5 super stars!!
Gosh, I totally love this one:)) 😍❤️😍

Summerset is not around, he still on his winter vacation, so Eve and Roarke happily do the deed in those fantastic rooms in their castle! LOL

Galahad had plenty tantrums, he probably missed Summerset 🙄😂🐈🤣

And...and... Nadine get herself a serious date! Yay!!! ❤️❤️❤️
If you read my previous reviews from this series, you will know him.
He called Nadine Lois, remember?
Yep! It’s him, another yay! Haha 😂

Oh well, if you a fan of this series, this shoul
Mo
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it was the fact that I was feeling under the weather this weekend, spent yesterday in bed, trying to ward off a bad cold. It dragged for me. Nearly started skimming towards the end. It just did not seem to have the same dynamics that her other books usually do. I have never given her books less than 4 and 5 stars. I cannot give it more than 3. Quite disappointed actually.

She never failed to fascinate, frustrate, and fulfill ...

As I say, maybe it was my mood. I read a few reviews after fini
Jonetta
A young woman is murdered in a Times Square video palace during the infamous shower scene in Hitchcock’s classic, Psycho. Lieutenant Eve Dallas catches the case and is stymied after her preliminary investigation turns up empty. That is until she discovers the dispassionate connection to an earlier murder case and a fictional detective book series.

There were many modern themes in this story that made it clever and interesting. It was hard to miss the parallels between the fictional writer and th
Ms. Smartarse
After more than 50 In Death stories, my reviews are starting sound the same. In my defense, the last few of books sound very similar by now, as well. Still, knowing that there are 2 new novels to expect every year, can be counted a sort of a treat... to the regular fan/reader.

That is to say, the book I read before this one bored me to tears, so "Dark In Death" made for a welcome change of pace. And it had several funny sequences too.

fine

There's a crazy serial killer on the loose, that puts Dallas i
Hulya Kara Yuksel
#book 46 and as usual it was so good! I just L-O-V-E this series so much! :)

When I read the 1st book in 2015 (Naked in Death) I thought okay wow, there are over 40 books in this series but after 4 years I thank to God for giving me courage to start this series! :D Because helloooo I read 46 books so far and now I literally couldn't wait to read more... Because this series are that good!
Also I'm seriously addicted to Eve & Roarke! :D

Corina
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
There is no doubt about it! JD ROBB is a master storyteller. After 46 novels, she still amazes, stuns, captivates, and spellbinds each and every time. As the alter ego of Nora Roberts, she is known for her prolific writing, and gripping plots.

I personally look forward to each new book in this series. So far, even after reading 46 books, almost the entire catalogue written by JD Robb, I have not come to the point yet where I feel her stories have become repetitive. Every single In Death installme
Celeste
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brenda
Lieutenant Eve Dallas had just arrived home and poured a glass of wine when her link buzzed. Another murder - this time in the theatre where Psycho was playing. The ice pick in the victim's neck meant immediate death - and Eve was on the way again. Murder was her business - she had another killer to catch.

But it was when a police procedural author, Blaine DeLano arrived at the station with Nadine Furst that Eve experienced a break through of sorts. It appeared the killer was an avid reader of De
Monnie
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book - held my interest throughout and I easily polished it off in two days. But compared to others I've read in this series (one of my favorites, BTW), it just didn't have much pizzazz - kind of like driving a Maserati with half-inflated tires.

Even though Lt. Eve Dallas and her hunky Irish husband Roarke heat up a few rooms in their house now and then, they seemed a titch off their usual game (even Roarke's faithful majordomo, the curmudgeonly Summerset, is off on a rare holiday). Only Eve
Kirsty ❤️
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've been looking forward to this for a while. I'm late to this series and so have read this out of sequence while I'm still on catch up with the rest. However I really love these books. I like the futuristic setting which makes a pleasant change from other police procedural books and gives some nice touches. I really need to find a way to get an automatic coffee maker into my car!

The characters have been well rounded since book one and even playing catch up they are like old friends. You know
Kay*FindMeInThePages*
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
Not one of my favorite In Death books. Several of the side characters felt forced in versus a necessary part of the story. Also, the writing seemed off compared to the other books in the series.
Shawna
3 stars - Futuristic/Crime/Mystery/Romantic Suspense/Science Fiction

I love the In Death series, but this latest installment was a disappointment for me. The mystery/crime part of the story didn’t hold my interest, and there wasn’t much personal time or development for Eve and Roarke or the other regular characters. It just felt like a filler book that doesn’t really add anything to the series. I’m still a devoted fan of the series, and I will eagerly read Leverage in Death when it comes out. I j
Carol
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
FIRST READ (August 2016): In the middle of a cold New York February, forty years or so in the future, Lt Eve Dallas, Homicide, Division catches a case that doesn’t make any sense, however, when a well-known writer of crime fiction comes forward and claims that the murder follows the plot of one of her novels, it all begins to fall into place. But who is committing the murder or murders, and why?

I enjoyed this book really a lot. It feels like it is some longer than other issues, which is the 46th
♥Sharon♥
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it

I was so excited to get back to Eve and Roarke and the rest of the gang. For a solid year I was reading the In Death Books somewhat back to back and was never without one. So waiting a couple of months for Dark in Death drove me a little batty.

My love for these fictional characters will never waver. I love Eve. She can be such a hardass for sure but I adore the way she melts at things Roarke says or does or how she protects Peabody or Nadine. I especially love it when she calls Roarke Pal. It is
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

I’m in awe of J.D. Robb’s writing ability. With forty-five instalments in this series already, Robb is still able to come up with complex and unique ideas. This time a blooming actress is killed in a dark theatre. Stabbed by ice pick is the weapon of choice, which leaves a lot of suspects for Eve because it’s such a popular weapon. I like the way she’s able to set up the scene immediately and there’s no stalling when it comes to the murder. It’s swift and precise, and actually, so is the re
Ann Lou
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another AWESOME addition to this BRILLIANT series! It's so good to be back in Eve's world again. I really felt the absence of these characters when I finished number 45 months ago.

"Don't be such a bitch".
"I have to be true to myself." (Eve, how I love thee)

September is still so far away for the next one. *sigh*
Obsidian
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Not too much to say about this one. It didn't really grab me and I did have a hard time sticking with it. That usually never happens when I am reading an "In Death" book. Even when it's ticking me off, I am engrossed. I just felt slightly bored by this one. I do have to say that a serial killer (New York is full of them apparently) murdering women in this one due to books reminded me of a t.v. show. I honestly can't recall which one, but it was bugging me throughout this reading.

"Dark in Death"
BrocheAroe
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Does not disappoint! Another solid read in the In Death series by JD Robb. I've been reading this series since 2003, since before it was well known she was Nora Roberts, and I keep expecting the next book and then the next book and then the next book to dip in terms of quality of style and content and originality, but it just doesn't (thank goodness!).

In #46, Dark in Death, JD ROBB almost makes a play on her own life in ways, as Eve is after a murderer who finds inspiration in a specific author'
Mei
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
“How do you know that? You couldn’t have finished the book.” (Roarke)
“I skipped to the end.” (Eve)
“You…” He closed his eyes as he drunk more wine. “Some things are unforgivable.” (Roarke)

… but I do them every time! Go, Eve, I’m with you!!! LOL

“Plus a lot of them who write multiple times talk about the make-believe people like they’re actually people. Some of them get a little pissy when those make-believe people don’t do just what they figure those make-believe people should do. Some get
Diane
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Took a while, but I finally finished this book. A fairly good read, just not J.D. Robb's best in my honest opinion. I would have liked a bit more action in the book, i.e. things getting blown up, Eve tackling a big perp or two, etc.

The book does a very good job of giving the reader an insight into the workings of what goes on with an author when they are writing a book and the fans that bombarb them - maybe what J.D. Robb herself goes through when writing this series.

Worth reading, 4 stars and 2
Lyn
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, in-death
#rd Read:
I still love all the Roarke and Eve scenes. :)

description

The first Eve and Roarke scene was in one word, Wow. It was both fun and touching. I don’t have enough words to say how much I loved the scene. Their love for each other came through the words, clear and full of emotion.

And Galahad’s antics in Summerset’s absence? I practically bent in half laughing. Eve’s sarcasm had me cracking up. I was so happy to see that the dynamics in the In Death series were back to the way they were before Secrets
SB*needs low angst books*
While watching the famous Psycho scene at the movies, Chanel Rylan is killed. When her bff comes back and discovers the body it brings the police and Lieutenant Eve Dallas. After some initial investigation into the murder, she doesn't see any reason or connection of why the victim was killed until Nadine comes in with author Blaine DeLano. When Blaine tells Dallas about the murder in her book and her suspicions that this murder is modeled after it but it's not the first one it clicks for Eve in ...more
Anne Szlachcic
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Well what can I say - I feel I can only give this book 3 1/2 stars instead of the normal 5 stars the Author normally inspires . If this book had been written by anyone else I would have been happy to say it was very good but the Author's other books have been so much better I would hold her to a higher standard ............ I don't know what happened but after finishing the book I felt .... FLAT .
Where was the tension ....the race against time..... to fight against all odds .....until finally ap
Belles
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: z2018, z2019
One of the best books in the series. I love the scenes with Galahad. We usually only get a few passing references to him but this time we got more interactive scenes. Also, Robb's exploration of the theme of women in this book posed some interesting dynamics between all the different female characters.
Jenny
Dark in Death is book forty-six in the In Death series by J. D. Robb. Lieutenant Eve Dallas thought she would have a quiet night at home with Roarke. However, that did not happen she was called to a murder of a young actress, Chanel Rylan. At first, the death of Chanel Rylan was a mystery for Lieutenant Eve Dallas until crime writer Blaine DeLano came to the police station. The readers of Dark In Death will continue to follow Lieutenant Eve Dallas investigation and to see how crime writer Blaine ...more
Jean
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is book number 46 in the Death Series. It is amazing that Robb keeps coming up with fresh ideas. She has not repeated a story line as of yet. In this story Dallas is investigating murders which the killer is copying from a mystery novel.

The book is well written. The plot is interesting. I enjoy the various characters in the series. I never get bored as Robb uses different characters in each of her books. Robb is making Eve Dallas more complex with each volume. The pace is fast and the suspe
Taryn
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I love this series. Forty-six books later and I feel like the characters have become family. I'm always excited for the next book and can't wait to see where the author leads them. This book was no exception. I'm only sad that I have to wait so long for the next one to come to life!!!
J.D. Robb : Dark in Death - January 30, 2018 133 256 May 06, 2019 09:20AM
Play Book Tag: Dark in Death by J.D. Robb - 3 stars 2 14 Feb 26, 2018 01:39PM
Goodreads Librari...: Has no cover and the title is incorrect 3 23 Feb 06, 2018 10:52AM

• Shelter in Place
  • Hideaway
  • Under Currents
  • Of Blood and Bone (Chronicles of The One, #2)
  • The Rise of Magicks (Chronicles of The One, #3)
  • The Sixth Day (A Brit in the FBI, #5)
  • Year One (Chronicles of The One, #1)
  • Promise Not to Tell (Cutler, Sutter & Salinas #2)
  • Shattered Mirror (Eve Duncan, #23)
  • The Vanishing (Fogg Lake #1)
  • Paradox (FBI Thriller #22)
  • Night Moves (Alex Delaware, #33)
  • The Woman Left Behind (GO-Team, #2)
  • The Other Lady Vanishes (Burning Cove, #2)
  • Hold Back the Dark (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #18; Dark #3)
  • Double Blind (Kendra Michaels, #6)
  • The 17th Suspect (Women's Murder Club, #17)
  • Field of Bones (Joanna Brady, #18)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Leverage in Death, on sale September 2018, is the 47th ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 52 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)

Articles featuring this book

Need some help planning your summer reading? Goodreads employees are a very bookish bunch, so we asked our colleagues to sha...
“But a book? You go into it. There’s no visual or auditory other than what forms in your own mind. You visualize the characters, the scene, through the words. You, as reader, interpret the tone of voice, the colors, the movement as you physically turn the pages.” 3 likes
“How do you know that? You couldn't have finished the book."
"I skipped to the end."
"You..." He closed his eyes as he drank more wine. "Some things are unforgiveable."
--Roarke, Dallas, Roarke”