Start by marking “The Girl Who Said Sorry” as Want to Read:
The Girl Who Said Sorry

The Girl Who Said Sorry

Too girly or too boyish. Too thin or too fat. Too quiet, too loud. Be ambitious, but don't hurt feelings. Be inquisitive, but don't interrupt. Be outspoken, but don't be bossy. Most of all, be yourself--but be a lady.

What's a girl to do in a world filled with contradicting gender expectations, aside from saying sorry?

The way we teach politeness norms to children is often c
Published October 5th 2017 by Rhyming Reason Books

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Who Said Sorry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl Who Said Sorry

Carol (Bookaria)
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a book for children, specially girls.

Growing up we (women) are taught standards that are almost impossible to keep, for example, "don't be shy but don't be loud either", "express your ideas but don't be bossy", and so on.

When the standards are broken we are taught to apologize profusely for that. Fortunately, these ideas are changing and the book opens the door to that. It gives examples of the standards we are taught and then it allows the main character to express herself without apo
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
YES! This was so sweet and inspiring! It's only in the past few years that I've stopped apologising for everything and I'm 23. I wish I had read more books like this one when I was a child so that I could learn to just be myself and that people may say that I should be this or that but I shouldn't apologise for doing my own thing. I think books like these ones are necessary reading for young girls. I loved the illustrations but thought the colouring was a bit random. I think it's great that half ...more
Tukunjil Nayeera
মাতর ষোল পেইজের মিষটি একটা গলপ! আর ইলাসটরেশনের কথা কি বলব! এততো সুনদর! এততো সুনদর!! ইচছে করে খেয়ে ফেলি! (কোনো কিছু অতযাধিক পছনদ হলেই আমার খেয়ে ফেলতে ইচছে করে!)
Marta m কি মিষটি করে মেয়েটাকে এঁকেছে দেখো!

এবার আসি মূল গলপে। গলপের ছলে জাজমেনটাল মানুষের পরকৃতি তুলে ধরা হয়েছে এখানে যার জনয মেয়েদের সবচাইতে বেশি সাফার করতে হয়।

[Shai] Bibliophage
Love everything about this picture book! I like how it presents life situations that not only young girls could relate into, but teens and ladies also will be able associate themselves to some of the predicaments cited. I can relate to some of these circumstances such as being too quiet and outspoken; but that's who I am, and that's what this brilliant book wants to impart to the readers.

Anyone should live not to please anyone; not to live to the norms just because it is the standards. As long
Schizanthus
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, favourites
💡GIRL POWER!!!💡

This book!!! Oh, my goodness!!! Please buy a copy for EVERY. SINGLE. GIRL. you know!!! By girl, I'm talking ages from newborn to 100 plus years old.

As girls we grow up being taught so many conflicting things and then told to apologise, well, basically for being a girl. We're too fat. We're too thin. We're too quiet. We're too loud. It's the real Neverending Story.

In The Girl Who Said Sorry, girls are not told to be sorry for who they are! Let's just celebrate that for a moment ...
Tisha

কি মিষটি !!!! ...more
Eva
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, read-2017
I requested this book on Netgalley in return for an honest review

Never be sorry for who you are and the choises you make for yourself. Doesn't matter if you are a boy or a girl.

We live in a world where we are, more and more, pushed in certain directions by people and social media. This short book has the powerful message to ignore these influences and to just do what feels right for you.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I LOVED this little book! When I picked it up for reviewing, I expected it to be a children's book teaching the value of sincere apologies - which was a hasty accusation based on the cover, to be fair - but it was so much better than what I expected. THE GIRL WHO SAID SORRY is about a young girl being forced to deal with society's expectations of her based on sexism and gender roles, and making herself "small" and "agreeable" as a girl. In the end, she realized that she needed to just be herself ...more
Missy's Book World
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-arc
This was a wonderful children's book. The girl who said sorry had a strong message. It was short and to the point with great illustrations.
Yesha
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*** Note: I received review copy of this book via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review. I am glad I got a chance to read this book. ***

I was thinking what I should say for this picture book as the description above speaks volume. No review can describe or tell about book better than that.

The book is not for just young girls but for all parents teachers and both males and females. No matter how educated and modern this world has become gender discrimination is one thing that is still roote
Galib
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
বিপরীতধরমী কথাবারতা ।
শিশুদের যেমন শুনতে হয ....আমার মত আম জাম কাঁঠাল জনতারও শুনতে হয । :)

টুকুনজিল নাযীরা আপাকে ধনযবাদ লিংক'টা লেখিকার কাছ থেকে সংগরহ করে দেবার জনয । 😊
Deepika Ramesh
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This girl keeps saying 'sorry'. Because she is told that she is too shy, too bold, too girly, too boyish... She is boxed in adjectives. She feels suffocated for the adjectives not only put her into a straitjacket but they are contradictory. Above all, she is made to feel sorry for who she is. When she realises that she is drowning in her sea of sorries, she breaks free.

'The Girl Who Said Sorry', written by Hayoung Yim and illustrated by Marta M, is an enlightening picture book that breaks gender
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, net-galley
First and foremost, the premise behind this book is brilliant; teaching young girls to express themselves with confidence, something that is so important of this day and age of social media and an influx of messages about how young people should look and behave. The message here is quite an unusual one, but one which which most would do well to remember; that the apologetic language we have come to accept as the norm, can actually undermine our self-confidence - we shouldn't have to apologise fo ...more
Henry Ratul
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's a book for kids. But a very powerful one. Whatever you do whether it's right or wrong people around will going to judge you. NO MATTER WHAT!!! Just don't say SORRY. Just don't. Rather accept your flaws and mistake that you have made and keep moving forward.

F*ck society. F*ck people. Just be yourself. Your very own self. ☺
Emily Louise Smith
This would be the perfect gift for any young girl, a book that I would have loved myself as a child.
This is a picture books telling the story of a young girl who can’t seem to ‘win’ with anything of the things that she tries to do. It’s accompanied with simple yet beautiful black and white pen illustrations each with a splash of colour.

It has a excellent message for young girls and attempts to remove the unrealistic expectations that are placed on women and girls today

*free copy received from N
Whitney
Such a cute, uplifting, and relevant children's book!

Unless the subject matter really speaks to me, I typically never read children's books; they're just not my jam. But this book is DEFINITELY an exception to that rule.

Without question, this is a book that every parent, grandparent, godparent, or anyone else who plays an influential role in a child's life should buy and share with them.
The message is a powerful and relevant one in today's world -- girls ARE taught to be apologetic for basical
Zelie
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's an awesome story about expectation to kids, especially the girl one.
We are expected to be perfect. Balanced amount, between mature and childish.
It's quite stressful, I think. And the author can deliver the message very well.
However, I believe it's not only the girl that have this kind of issue. Boys have quite similar issue, but in a different way or situation.
Dylan
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: feminism
Thank you so much, Netgalley, as well as the publisher for sending me this for review. As always, all opinions expressed are my own.

I wasn't expecting much from this, honestly. I saw it on the 'Read Now' page on Netgalley, saw that it was only 16 pages, and was feminist, so I instantly downloaded it.

This is basically a great narrative on feminism culture with children and how parents tell little girls how to act, dress, talk, etc.

I think that this is a must read for all schools, as it impleme
Karlen
*An ARC of this book was provided to me by NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.*

Short and sweet book encouraging girls to stop apologizing for existing, as many girls learn to do at a young age. Definitely something I wouldn't have minded reading as a child, and something I would read to any child of my own (boy or girl).
Asriani
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, netgalley
I love this picture book.
Donna Maguire
This book is so true and accurate and I fully symphasise with the girl in the story. It might have initially been a generational thing but I think probably everyone is taught when they are younger to say sorry when looking backnow you can see that there really was no need and it was just how you were taught to be polite - the books helps give confidence in this case to a young girl and will show others reading that they don't need to apologse for things they haven't actually done wrong - 5 stars
Kat
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is only 16 pages long and full of pictures. There shouldn't be a person having problems with reading that.

I liked it, because it really has a strong message. It doesn't judge anything or anybody, it just shows: Why thinking too much about what other could think of you? I liked that it really build up your self-esteem.

I hope this will come out for boys too, since they live with many stereotypes too.

I received the e-Book via Netgalley.
Aya Hamza
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful & Powerful.

I received an ARC of this copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest feedback.

Manon
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was a very short story for girls. The whole point of it is to tell them that they should be who they are and not apologize for it.
The message was great, the drawings were amazing. I would definitely buy that or something of the sort for my daughter (whenever I have a daughter).
It was so short though, 16 pages counting the covers, it barely felt like an actual story...
Ryan
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every family with a little girl should buy this book. If you are a feminist or believe in feminism, you should buy this book for a little girl you know. Girls are constantly being held to double standards. Either you are too skinny, or you eat too much. You should be quiet and meek, but you should also speak your mind. And normally happens when a child is found wanting, they apologize. This books tells little girls to not only be themselves, but they do not have to apologize for being themselves ...more
Rosie
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Forever criticized for her clothing, her body shape, her voice, her mannerisms, being too proud when winning, and being given so much contradictory advice about she should act in order to be herself, a young girl finally puts her foot down and decides that she is tired of being sorry for not fitting into everybody else’s ideal persona.

While reading Hayoung Yim’s tale, The Girl Who Said Sorry, I could not help but feel sympathy for a young girl who was trying so hard to please everybody else exc
Storywraps
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is all about teaching young girls how to express themselves with confidence and - without apologizing. This important relevant subject is introduced in approachable rhyme. The illustrations are subtle yet so powerful to the reader. The incessant suggestions to change and try to please everyone are drilled over and over again until the little girl in the book can take it no longer.

She is told she is too girlish, then too boyish. She is diagnosed as being too thin then reprimanded when
Sarabi
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Girl Who Said Sorry is a perfect book. It's short, sweet and to-the-point. Essentially, a young girl continually apologizes for living her life because the way she wants to live is not the way her elders expect her to live. In the end she finds her inner strength and refuses to apologize for being herself any longer. It's got a strong feminist message, one that's not only helpful for children, but also adults. Too often women learn to apologize, to make themselves smaller for the convenience ...more
Kristine Hall
When I received a review request from Hayoung Terra Yim, what first caught my attention was her self-description (see "About the Author" below). It is her mission "to highlight the realities of the gender apology gap to young girls" that made me give a quick reply (YES!) to reviewing The Girl Who Said Sorry. What a good move!

Using a parallel sentence structure and some rhyming, The Girl Who Said Sorry delivers a much-needed message to girls to stop apologizing and to resist mixed messages and do
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Broken Purchase Links 3 21 Sep 25, 2017 07:20PM
  • Clara Humble and the Not-So-Super Powers
  • Starr and the High Seas Wedding Drama (Flower Girl World, #3)
  • You Hold Me Up
  • The Field
  • Creature Files: Predators: Discover 20 of Nature's Most Ferocious Hunters
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror 2016
  • The STEM Club Goes Exploring
  • Jane Austen (Pequeña & GRANDE, #11)
  • All That Remains
  • One Nation Under Stress: The Trouble with Stress as an Idea
  • The Screwfly Solution
  • Revolutionary Medicine: The Founding Fathers and Mothers in Sickness and in Health
  • Flower Moon
  • The Early Science Fiction of Philip K. Dick
  • Laura Monster Crusher
  • Fierce Fighters Predators: Nature's Toughest Go Head to Head--Includes a Poster & 20 Animal Stickers!
  • The Faceless One