Start by marking “A Rare Book of Cunning Device (Peter Grant, #6.5)” as Want to Read:
A Rare Book of Cunning Device (Peter Grant, #6.5)

A Rare Book of Cunning Device

(Rivers of London #6.5)

Somewhere amongst the shadowy stacks and the many basements of the British library, something is very much amiss - and we're not talking late returns here. Is it a ghost, or something much worse? PC Peter Grant really isn't looking forward to finding out....
Audible Audio, Unabridged UK Edition, 1 page
Published April 27th 2017 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about A Rare Book of Cunning Device, please sign up.
Cathy It is. It is only a short story though. The next full length novel has not been published yet.

Start your review of A Rare Book of Cunning Device (Peter Grant, #6.5)
Mimi

Funny, too short, and available only on audio, for now anyway, and it's still going for free at Audible.

Nightingale is out of town again, and Peter gets called to the British Library about what appears at first to be a poltergeist problem. But after some investigating, it turns out to be a book running amok after dark and keeping the librarians up at night.

The book isn't actually a book, but an ancient device of magical origins. It has moving parts and seems somewhat sentient, or at
Monica
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, fun story. A little bit of a taste of Kobna. Why do I feel like the drug dealer just gave me the first one for free?? The addicting properties are strong with this one...
Lyn
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Ben Aaronovitch has created in the Peter Grant series a storyline with a seemingly innumerable list of possible story ideas. From the novels (of which we are all impatiently waiting for the next) to the graphic novels (with fun vignettes at the end) to these short stories.

A Rare Book of Cunning Device is an audiobook available for free on Audible and highlights not only Aaronvitch’s exceptional writing ability and imagination but also narrator Kobna Holdbrook-Smith’s perfect casting and
carol.
aka "Ben's Ode to Librarians and Their Charges," free at Audible.

A wonderful introduction to both Peter Grant and the wonders of Kobna Holdbrook-Smith's voice acting. It's a quick story, quite possibly short on world-building background for those new to the series, but does have a nice little bit about Peter's family. In it, Peter is asked by librarian Elizabeth Winn-Stanley (aka "Hatbox" Stanley) to investigate a poltergeist in the King's Collection at the British Library. The Folly's own
Montzalee Wittmann
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Rare Book of Cunning Device
By: Ben Aaronovitch
Narrated by: Kobna Holdbrook-Smith
A fantastic short in the library. Complaints of a poltergeist in the library but once there, that's not what is found! Fun story...
Great narration!
Caro the Helmet Lady
Aww, why so short? As soon as I got involved with the story it ended quite brutally, that's not fair! In such case I guess I will have to listen to it again... ;)
Cute and funny, it makes a nice appetizer before the next Peter Grant book is out.
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
This was a short audible listen, at around 25 minutes long and part of a longer series, which I haven't gotten round to reading yet. I did like the narrator, he spoke clearly and made the characters stand out. The story-line itself just didn't fully capture my attention. I've never been to the British Library (considering that one of my real-life goals is to become a Librarian!) and while I loved the imagery surrounding this setting, it just moved too quickly and a little underdeveloped for me ...more
Lata
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short, tiny and wonderful story of Peter Grant investigating a report of a poltergeist at the British library with the head librarian and Harold Postmartin. And Toby. I love that this story is a bit of a love letter to librarians, and that Postmartin is known as “The Pirate” by other librarians.
If you haven’t read any of the other stories in this world, this isn’t the place to start, but it’s a lovely reminder of Aaronovitch’s characters and humour, and the lovely, amazing voices of Kobna’s
Cathy
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short story, audiobook available for free on Audible.

Peter is sent to investigate weird bollocks at the British Library. Amusing, very short, great narration again by Kobna Holbrook-Smith.

Can someone enlighten me regarding the tattooed eyeball reference?
Paul E. Morph
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This is an audiobook exclusive Peter Grant short story (set between books five and six in the series). It was pretty good but left me craving MORE! Good job I've got book six lined up on my Kindle ready to go.

This was very well read by Kobna Holdbrook-Smith. I'm told he does a great job on the other Peter Grant books too; alas, I have read them on my Kindle and deprived myself of the pleasure. Maybe when I re-read them a few years down the line I'll go the audiobook route...
CrabbyPatty
I'm not familiar with the series, so my synopsis - some poltergeisty activity in the library results in Peter Grant finding a cunning device in said library - is probably not as detailed as if I were familiar with Peter Grant and his cases!

Loved the narration and that British accent - top notch and all that.

Visit my blog, Sinfully Good Gay Book Reviews
AndrewP
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Librarians
A short story from Ben Aaeronovitch exclusively available on audible. It fit's in the 'Rivers of London' series and features Peter assisting a librarian by investigating a poltergeist in the British Library. The 35 minute story is read by the amazing Kobna Holbrook-Smith.

If you haven't experienced Kobna reading Aaeronovitch this is free sample not to be missed. If you have, then you probably already grabbed this one:)
Kitvaria Sarene
I liked this one, but it was just a tad too short for me to get full enjoyment. The end was a bit abrupt and unsatisfying for my personal taste, but I've never been too good with short stories, so it might just be me... ;)
I liked the humor and the craziness and had some laugh out loud moments, so I'll give it 4*.
Daniel
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, urban-fantasy
This was a bit of an odd experience, as after 7+ books my own mental Peter Grant voice is a thing, and this obviously was different in numerous ways, not least of which were the cadences and emphasis my internal voice would have read this with. So a bit of an adjustment there, but excluding that the narration was good and I don't think I'd have had any issues was this my first encounter with the character.

The story itself, being a short, was pretty linear and didn't have much in the way of
Hank
Apr 28, 2017 rated it liked it
My first Peter Grant story I just sort of liked instead of loved. Apparently I need a longer story to get into the flow, this was too short. Still good but not enough time to appreciate the humor or the setting.
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Perfect length for a cuppa.

Although this didn't really add much to the world, I appreciated this little extra.

Kobna Holdbrook-Smith was an exceptional narrator, as always.
patrycja polczyk
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Adorable, though too short. I don't like audiobooks, but this one was fun. I'd happily read about other adventures in the library.
Lis Carey
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
London PC Peter Grant gets called to the British Museum, which has a serious problem in one of its many basements. They think it's a poltergeist; something, at least, is moving things around in ways that can't be accounted for by the actions of staff and users. Grant thinks this is unlikely, because of how modern the building is, but given the ancient, rare, historical, and otherwise valuable items in the collection, can't rule it out.

And so he goes hunting through the basements. But is he
Nikki
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mystery, audio
Narrated by Kobna Holdbrook-Smith, this is a short story set in Ben Aaronovitch’s Rivers of London world. Kobna Holdbrook-Smith is a great narrator and sounds just perfect for Peter, and while it’s a short story, it’s fun and features Toby and Postmartin… and the British Library. And, of course, a rare book of cunning device.

I won’t spoiler you if you haven’t listened to it, but it really is fun, helped by Holdbrook-Smith’s delivery. If you enjoy Peter Grant and his brand of humour, you’ll be in
Todd Oliver
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Neat short story that I'd love to see evolve into a bigger book. I'd love to learn about the inventor of the book of cunning device. Sounds like a very interesting character!

Peter Grant is a paranormal investigator. He gets a call to check out the British Library. They seem to think they have a poltergeist in the basement of the library. What they find is much more interesting!

Loved the narration by Kobna Holdbrook-Smith.
Papercuts1
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loads of fun in a regrettably short Peter Grant mini story. Sort of an ode to librarians and their natural habitat combined with a creature hunt. The ending is a bit unspectacular. Feels like something Aaronovitch wanted to add to a Peter Grant novel but then discarded it.
Kobna Holdbrook-Smith's narration is, as usual, a miracle in itself.
Wing Kee
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn't know there were audio exclusives until this. Wow the narration was good. This short little tale was quite fun and a little sampler that makes me want to listen to the books now too!!!

The story as I said is small, self contained and quirky and weird like the series, a nice little nugget.

Onward to the next book!
Scott Firestone
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Okay, this probably doesn't deserve 4 stars, because it's just sort of a middling story. But since this is only an Audible story, you get to hear the narration from the wonderful Kobna Holdbrook-Smith--and that's worth an extra star on its own. It's free, and it's a terrific introduction to this world. Give it a listen.
Melanti
Audible Freebie.

Amusing, but it reads more like an excerpt from a longer book than a story in its own right.

I like Aaronovitch's imagination and sense of humor... I just wish I liked Peter Grant more.
Bart
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
***Actual rating: 4,00***

The good:

+ The wit and witticisms of Peter Grant is great (as always).
+ Kobna Holdbrook-Smith does an amazing job as narrator.

The not so good:
- The story is too short to be amazing.
Lianne - Literary Diversions
Straight on my Treasured Reads shelf. I hope we get thousands more short stories like this one. Epic.
Sameera🌻
A fun short story which I really enjoyed listening to..
The narration is top notch!

Only complaint it was too short!
Silvana
The story was not terribly exciting but the setting and the narration are perfect. My first time listening to an RoL audiobook.
Julie S
Feb 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This was fun but just a short story! I want to read book 7!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Crackanory Too Cracked for TV
  • Brand New You: Become the Best Version of You! With a Little Help from our Experts
  • Canada Is Awesome
  • Why Gettysburg Mattered: 150 Years Later (Bonus Material: The Gettysburg Address)
  • Booktaker
  • The Gadwall Incident (Lock and Key #0.5)
  • The Hospital: The First Mountain Man Story (Mountain Man #0.5)
  • Boardwalk Empire Free Bonus Material: The Speakeasy Guide to Prohibition Era Slang
  • Sue Perkins Earpedia: Animals
  • The Jester (The Riyria Chronicles #2.5)
  • Tomato Can Blues
  • Professional Integrity (The Riyria Chronicles, #2.6)
  • The Very First Damned Thing (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #0.5)
  • The Music Coming from the House
  • A Conversation with Joseph Finder and Malcolm Gladwell
  • The Other America - A Speech from The Radical King
  • The Valentine Wedding Dress
  • Fallen (Alex Verus, #10)
Ben Aaronovitch's career started with a bang writing for Doctor Who, subsided in the middle and then, as is traditional, a third act resurgence with the bestselling Rivers of London series.

Born and raised in London he says that he'll leave his home when they prise his city out of his cold dead fingers.

Rivers of London (8 books)
  • Rivers of London (Peter Grant, #1)
  • Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant, #2)
  • Whispers Under Ground (Peter Grant, #3)
  • Broken Homes (Peter Grant, #4)
  • Foxglove Summer (Peter Grant, #5)
  • The Hanging Tree (Peter Grant, #6)
  • Lies Sleeping (Peter Grant, #7)
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)