Start by marking “Lake Silence (The World of the Others, #1; The Others, #6)” as Want to Read:
Lake Silence (The World of the Others, #1; The Others, #6)

Lake Silence

(The World of the Others #1)

4.30  ·  Rating details ·  8,312 ratings  ·  1,268 reviews
In this thrilling and suspenseful fantasy, set in the world of the New York Times bestselling Others series, Vicki DeVine and her lodger, the shapeshifter Aggie Crowe, stumble onto a dead body . . . and find themselves enmeshed in danger and dark secrets.

Human laws do not apply in the territory controlled by the Others–vampires, shapeshifters, and paranormal beings even mo
Published March 6th 2018 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Lake Silence, please sign up.
Shab I agree I'd like to know more about our two main characters and how they end up, if they have kids, what those kids would turn out to be, and so on.…moreI agree I'd like to know more about our two main characters and how they end up, if they have kids, what those kids would turn out to be, and so on. But it is ALSO a little about the sex too. LOL.(less)
Annie I think this is an offshoot of The Others Series as it is called The World of The Others in the author's website but I don't think we will be seeing a…moreI think this is an offshoot of The Others Series as it is called The World of The Others in the author's website but I don't think we will be seeing a lot of Simon or Meg. They are briefly mentioned because they can provide some help in an investigation but that is about it.(less)

·  8,312 ratings  ·  1,268 reviews

Jilly
I wasn't sure that I would read this book because I was sorely disappointed in how Meg and Simon's story ended. We waited 5 books and only got a kiss? That pissed me off. Of course, one of the people who commented on my review of that book pretty much called me a sick pervert for wanting there to have been wolfy sex, so that was a bit of a consolation. I do love it when I can get people to hate on me when I write silly reviews as a hobby. Of course, I don't respond to trolls, because my sons wou ...more
Nafeeza
Mar 14, 2017 marked it as to-read
So there is going to be crossovers from my beloved characters right? Right!? Because I am not a happy camper if that is the last we will see of them with the way things ended.
Nina
Mar 07, 2017 marked it as 2018-read-list
February 8th, 2017
Seriously?
We'll only get the end of Meg and Simon...like that? *crying in the corner* Why? Why? I still have questions! It was five years, Ms. Bishop. Five years and still I'm not satisfied with their ending :( And I really thought book six will delve more into Meg and Simon. And the end of Meg and Simon couldn't be just like that *curling up and try not to cry*

Well, to be fair, I know Ms. Bishop will be able to make me love the new characters. But.........
Em Lost In Books
A new cast and new place from what I have been reading in first five books. I took a lot of time to get used to the characters but Vicki is nowhere near Meg in her innocence. Being oblivious of outside world made story of Meg so excited but here it felt like Vicki was overdoing it. While this book was okayish but I kept thinking about Meghan & Co. Not a good sign.
Choko
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
*** 4.25 ***

A buddy read with my Family @ BB&B Wednesday UF Group! Because we love The Others!!!

Another chapter in the tale of the World of The Others starts with this sixth book in the series. This time it is a mostly human settlement on the Lake Silence, and the recently divorced 30 year old Vicky DeVine. She has become the caregiver of a rustic resort on the lake, The Jumble, and her one and only lodger is the shapshifitng Crow -Guard Aggie Crowe. Although all humans in the aria are awar
Beth
Vicki DeVine took one thing away from her divorce, the Jumble a resort on Lake Silence. Unused for years, Vicki renovates it and opens its cabins for rent. Her first resident is Aggie Crowe, an Other.

When Aggie finds a dead body, Vicki calls the human authorities. This brings the human authorities onto the Jumble, were Vicki quickly learns is an Other’s domain. Someone is after the Jumble and Vicki will do whatever she can to keep the Jumble and the inhabitants (the Others) safe. With her actio
Robin (Bridge Four)
Lake Silence was surprisingly good. Not that I didn’t think Anne Bishop could write another great book. But I was surprised how much I liked it after spending 5 books with other characters and then completely shifting to an entirely new cast. The reason was that everything felt familiar if slightly different, like a trip to your favorite store in a different state.

description

Vicky is working on bringing a run down resort next to the wild back into being a viable business. It was the only thing she got out
Steven
Thank you to Berkley/Ace/Daw and Netgalley for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.

I'd like to start with a cheer! I am SO glad that Anne Bishop was able to continue writing in the world of the Others. The first five books are stories surrounding Lakeside and involving Simon Wolfgard and Meg Corbyn, cassandra sangue. And they're fantastic. Book six, Lake Silence, picks up with a new set of characters in a new area of the world. This time, we're following a regular human, Vi
Shannon

Review to come.

Previous thoughts:
(view spoiler)
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-books, i-own
NOT TO BE DRAMATIC OR ANYTHING BUT THIS BOOK WAS A GODDAMN WELCOME BACK PRESENT TO ME AND I LOVED EVERY SINGLE DELICIOUS BIT OF IT.

Lake Silence is the sixth book in, The Others series, but an almost completely different book with a whole new cast of characters-- a spinoff.

The fifth book in the series, Etched in Bone, left a little to be desired, especially when I wanted more of the world and characters after being invested in them for like FIVE FUCKING BOOKS AND FIVE YEARS.

But even though I wa
Kristen
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Full review is here on my blog.

I really, really like the world of The Others, so naturally when this popped up on NetGalley, I was more than happy to send in a request for it. This one is a spin-off of the first five books in the series. It takes place in the same world but a different part of it with different characters.

We start out meeting Vicki, a woman who recently went through a very nasty divorce after 10 years of terrible marriage. She has taken over control of a camping resort in the Fi
Celeste
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full review now posted!

I love this series so much. And this installment didn't disappoint.

I can’t even tell you how long it’s been since a book legitimately caused me to lose sleep, or consumed my thoughts to such extremes that I became poor company because literally all I wanted to do was read and read and read some more. That used to be my standard mode of operation when reading anything, but for the past several months even the best of books haven’t been able to elicit this type of response.
Douglas Meeks
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I find it hard to review the books of this series because I have fallen in love with this world and the people that populate it to the point where I am not sure I am writing an unbiased review anymore. It still feels like I am reading a genre that is only populated by this series.

The writing alone is so exceptional that it pulls you in from the first page, I was addicted by the 15% mark and the story was revealed a bit at a time so you got to know the good, the bad and the Others a bit more inti
Deborah Obida
I love it! The only thing I don’t like about this book is the protagonist’s similarities to Meg, she is the worse version of Meg, fat, anxiety issues, no confidence and a host of other issues.

Apart from the above, this book is as good as the previous in the series. Good writing, the usual multiple POVs, amazing characters and the like.

Am not surprise, Anne Bishop is yet to disappoint me, I can’t wait for the next book in the series, I wish it could feature Simon and Meg in a few pages.

I like all
P.C. Cast
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is another installment in Bishop's brilliant world of The Others. This one doesn't follow Meg and Simon (though they are mentioned), but you will love the new characters (Vicki! Aggie!) and the new types of Elders are intriguing. Bishop world builds like the expert she is - every detail is in perfect place. You do not need to read the previous books in the series to enjoy this one, but you'll definitely be enticed to pick them up as well. Highly recommend!!
Corina☞BookTwinsReviews
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it

Ever since I binge read The Others series last year I have been a HUGE fan of Anne Bishop. I don’t think it’s a secret that I love urban fantasy/fantasy. With authors like Ilona Andrews and Nalini Singh, Patricia Briggs and now Anne Bishop, I’ve picked the best authors that are available in this genre.

Lake Silence, the 6th book of The Others series, a novel set in the same world as book 1-5, tells the story about Vicki a divorcee, struggling to bring back a rustic resort that has been g
♥Rachel♥
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I was thrilled to visit the world of The Others again with Lake Silence, but was a little unsure if I’d like it as much as the previous books that centered on Meg and Simon, and the Lakeside Courtyard residents. I will say that Meg and Simon continue to be my favorite, because, hello, romance junkie here, but Lake Silence was captivating! And there is a hint of a romance to come. Wasn’t sure if this was going to be a standalone, but I just checked and there’s another book coming, so yay! Maybe I ...more
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
4.5 Stars!

I have been in love with Simon, Meg, Vlad, Tessa and all the vanguard in the Others series since the very first book and when Simon and Meg's journey ended at book five, I wasn't ready to say goodbye to them. I don't think anyone that has read the magical, slightly horrifying world that Bishop has created in the Others, was. How can one ever be ready to say goodbye to beloved characters?
Finding out book six would be a spin off of this amazing world was both a delight, elating and a bi
Ian
Well this was disappointing.
I was excited to get this. I've been waiting for it for months.
It finally arrives.
And it's basically fan service.
It's a victory lap.

It was moderately entertaining in the same way playing Solitaire on the computer is moderately entertaining. I mean you wouldn't give up dinner with friends for it but it beats working. I'll read book two and hope for the best.
Marianne
Did I miss Meg? Did I miss Simon? Nah, just like I predicted: I'm howling with joy!

Paige  Bookdragon
IT WAS SO BLOODY GOOD I CAN'T EVEN
Kat
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-2
This was an interesting addition to the world of the Others. It had a lonely feel of not quite a mystery, not quite literary fiction, just of a woman alone out in a wooded community. A bit different from her previous books in the series, although we do get to experience the Others, which is always a treat. Greedily hoping to see a teeny bit of Meg and Simon in the next books :)

Please excuse typos/name misspellings. Entered on screen reader.
Yodamom
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
4.5- audiobook
Excellent narration
I didn't expect to enjoy this spin off. I thought the series would fall into dullsville without Meg and the pack. I was wrong! I didn't even miss her I was so wrapped up in these newish characters (a few came from the original series)and their section of the world. There are so many new beings, my favorite had to be the Sproings I pictured them as a Porg (Star Wars) like beastie, so cute. The vampire, who happened to be a lawyer, a double blood sucker was acknowl
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
UPDATED: US Giveaway of Lake Silence (3/12/18-3/18/18): https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/03/12/...

4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/03/12/...

Lake Silence is the first book of a new spin-off series set in world of The Others by Anne Bishop, therefore making a great place to jump on board if you’ve ever played with the idea of checking these novels out. While the story takes place in a different town following a group of new people, it still shares many traits with the
Lenora Good
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
DISCLAIMER: I had the marvelous opportunity to read an early, unpublished version of Lake Silence for review, it may not be quite the same as the one currently for sale, though I seriously doubt the basic story will change. Some of the plot points may shift.

When I read Etched in Bone, the last of the series about the Others, I was truly sad. I enjoy that world, and was delighted when I heard rumors there were two more stand-alone books coming. Same world--new characters. (I do understand why an
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Meg and Simon’s story has wrapped up in the last book so I was very curious to see what Anne Bishop was going to do with this book. LAKE SILENCE features a new heroine named Vicki DeVine and she was a very nice surprise. I really took a liking to her character. If you enjoy the humorous characters of the first books in the series, then I’m sure you’ll get on with Vicki’s style of humor and personality. I feel like she’s the brighter counterpart to Meg’s narration, which is a nice change and a
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I enjoyed this book. After reading the earlier books in the series last year, I was really curious about this newest installment. I knew going into this book that it was set in the same world as the previous books but it would feature different characters. I was relieved to find that I liked this new group of characters right away. I had a really nice time with this story.

Vicki is a rather new resident in the area. She recently acqui
CD {Boulder Blvd}
I loved the first couple of books in this series and then started not feeling the love by books #4 and 5. I went into this book with low expectations but was pleasantly surprised. This book packs the freshness and world building appeal that the first books in the series had. I found myself pulled into Ms Bishop's world, loving the characters, loving the plot and didn't want to stop reading.

A few negatives is that it does have a bit of a re-spin of book #1 where it's the same story you just repla
Sunny
ARC Review

I’d be lying if I did not share with you that I had a lot of trepidation about reading this book. LAKE SILENCE is the 6th book in The Others series. It is not an official spin-off, but we have a whole new set of characters and location but in The Others world. How could Anne Bishop take us away from our beloved friends in the Lakeside Courtyard? How could we possible care as much for anyone else as we do for Meg and Simon? I am here to say, THE MAGIC IS BACK!

Vicki DeVine receives a ru
Lindsay
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I loved the first book in the Others series but became disillusioned with the series when it became clear that the traits of the main character weren't of the character, but instead of her whole species. Also the gender roles in the series became increasingly on-the-nose 1950s-essentialist. However, I did like it enough to give the series another go when it moved away from the setting of the first five books. And here we are.

Vicki DeVine is an early-30s divorcee who, as part of her divorce settl
  • Flame in the Dark (Soulwood, #3)
  • Magic Binds (Kate Daniels, #9)
  • Silence Fallen (Mercy Thompson, #10)
  • Oak & Thorns (The Wild Hunt #2)
  • Night Blade (Colbana Files, #2)
  • The Brimstone Deception (SPI Files, #3)
  • Mind Magic (World of the Lupi, #12)
  • Once Broken Faith (October Daye, #10)
Anne Bishop lives in upstate New York where she enjoys gardening, music, and writing dark, romantic stories. She is the author of fourteen novels, including the award-winning Black Jewels Trilogy. Her most recent novel, Twilight’s Dawn, made the New York Times bestseller list. She is currently working on a new series, which is an urban dark fantasy with a bit of a twist.

Crawford Award (2000)

Librar

The World of the Others (2 books)
  • Wild Country (The World of the Others, #2; The Others, #7)
“Talking about us and them is part of what caused the trouble and got a lot of people killed in the past year.” 3 likes
“« A bit of useful information. My name is Victoria “call me Vicki” DeVine. I used to be Mrs. Yorick Dane, but giving up my married name was one of the conditions of my receiving valuable property—aka The Jumble—as part of the divorce settlement. Apparently the second official Mrs. Dane didn’t like the idea that someone else had had the name first. Fortunately, she didn’t seem as possessive about Yorick’s Vigorous Appendage. I could have told her that a couple dozen other women had had it before she took possession. But it wasn’t likely that she would keep solo possession of the appendage for long, so let her figure things out the hard way like I did. Of course, if she had been one of those indulgences, then she already knew the signs and might be able to nip them in the bud. »” 2 likes