Start by marking “The Rook (The Patrick Bowers Files, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Rook (The Patrick Bowers Files, #2)

The Rook

(The Patrick Bowers Files #2)

An arsonist has struck a top-secret research facility at a key US naval base. But it's not just a random terrorist attack. These people were after something specific. When Special Agent Patrick Bowers is called in to investigate, he is drawn into a deadly web of intrigue and deception. With his own criminology research being turned against him and one of the world's most d ...more
Published August 1st 2008 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about The Rook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rook

Harry
Imagine my surprise after reading all the Patrick Bower series by Steven James and in wanting to write a review of the books, to discover that this series is labeled as being published by a Christian publisher, as well as authored by a Christian...ergo, the Patrick Bowers series is labeled Christian Fiction. I'll tell you this, as an atheist, I didn't have a clue (not even a suspicion) of this throughout my reading of these novels.

Now, now, I am not implying that good Christian fiction doesn't e
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Quick review:

Cover: Fitting
Rating: R
Overall: Entertaining
Characters: Well Written
Plot: A killer with no threshold for pain
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Yes
Recommend: Yes
Book Boyfriend: Patrick

SUMMARY (50 words or less)
This is the second book in a series. You could start here, but I would start from the beginning. It was a solid read that kept me interested in reading. I wasn’t however fooled as to the who, what, why and where. Too bad.

For a full review and yummy pic, see my b
Melanie
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I'm working my way through rereading this series, I've been getting to see anew all the little things I love about it.

In The Rook, I loved how Patrick and Tessa, his stepdaughter, continue to build and grow their relationship in the midst of difficulties. I also thought that the case Patrick was working on was very complex and the villain(s) was/were hard to guess!

All in all, a great thriller! I recommend it if you enjoy thrillers and can handle intense/gruesome reads.
Paul
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
during half of this book I thought I may have been reading one of sandford's Lucas davenport novels. however james makes bowers a character that maybe has similarities but is very different and the second half had enough twists and turns to make this a very enjoyable "beach read" I look forward to reading more Bowers stories
Ally (The Scribbling Sprite)
Originally posted at The Scribbling Sprite

Okay, so now I've read only the first two books in the Patrick Bowers Files, and it's already one of my favorite series. As soon as I finished the Pawn I had to rush to the library to get the Rook. It soared above and beyond my expectations(which were very high).

Just like The Pawn, The Rook had me hooked from the first page. It kept me guessing; the end had me completely shocked.

Again, I love the characters. While it's mostly from Patrick's point of view
Ronie
May 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
As usual, Steven James has penned a compelling read in THE ROOK. I'm pretty sure he's made it onto my list of "auto-buy authors" because if his incredible talent for bringing together an intricate and intriguing plot. The only reason I didn't give this one 5 stars (which, here on GoodReads means "it was amazing!") is because at times the pace started to feel a bit drawn out. It's not a gripe or a complaint. It could've just been me and my antsy nature. And I really love Patrick Bowers stepdaught ...more
Art Ellsworth
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book! I’m really into this series now!!
Maureen DeLuca
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the second book in the Patrick. Bowers series. Having really liked the fist in this series, I was very excited to start book number two. There was a lot going on in this book, for me, way too many characters, and I was getting a little confused at times. I did stick with it, and even glazed over some of it. In other words, was glad that the book ended. This is a continuation series, so the end of this book is now the beginning of the next.

Even though I was not really happy with this boo
Melanie
May 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
After reading 'The Pawn' I couldn't wait to read this thriller & I wasn't disappointed. Steven James is great at writing books that hold my attention throughout the entire book.

Patrick Bower's step-daughter, Tessa, is a vegetarian/vegan for humane reasons, which I found interesting since I am a vegan.

'The Rook' is filled with twists and turns that kept me guessing until the end. Throughout this book I tried to figure out who 'Shade' was, but without success.

The ending of 'The Rook', wow, it
J.S. Bailey
May 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'd just like to say that Steven James has great talent for creating and drawing out suspense. And I like his characters, too. I think Tessa might be my favorite. :)
Kim
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great series....didn't know the "who done it" until the end.....started the next book and think I'm going to take a break and read something not dealing with death and murder. But will start the next book soon! Great series so far!
T.E. George
Jun 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense
When I reviewed Steven James’ debut novel, The Pawn, I hesitated giving it five stars because I wanted to leave room in case the author proved to be more than a one hit wonder. I give The Rook four and a half stars only because I know, The Knight comes out in September. I feel quite sure this writer has several more turns at bat in his career!

Special Agent Patrick Bowers returns along with his hard-to-love-hard-to-hate stepdaughter, Tessa. I mention her in the same sentence with Patrick because
Dana Griffin
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the benefits of coming across an author who’s written several good books is you don’t have to wait a year between readings. This is how I feel about Steven James novels.

Several months ago I read The Pawn, which I loved. I would’ve read the next in the series, The Rook, the next day, but I try not to let one writer’s voice influence my own. Now after reading this book, it’s tempting to break my rule and read the next in the series, The Knight.

Each stand alone book has the same protagonist
Julie Graves
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-reads
Patrick Bowers has taken his step-daughter Tessa with him to San Diego to work on a series of arsons. Tessa and Pat are still trying to work out a relationship as father/daughter. Tessa is 17 and wanting independence, but with the work that Patrick does he knows the evil that is out there waiting for young women.

The arson cases and a government secret soon collide with each other and has the FBI and local authorities working against the clock to find a woman who only has hours left to live.

Lien-
Debbie
Dec 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, romance
I received this book as a review copy from the publisher. "The Rook" was a well-written, fast-paced forensic/detective thriller. This is the second Patrick Bowers novel, but you don't need to read the first book, "The Pawn," to understand what's going on in this one.

The first novel had a very well-written "who-done-it" element (which I loved), but this book was more a thriller with a good dose of romance. While still a bit dark, "The Rook" wasn't as gruesome as "The Pawn." The crimes and crime s
Elizabeth Midgley
Nov 03, 2009 rated it it was ok
I didn't like #2 as well as I liked #1 & #3. This story didn't flow quite as easily as the others and it had a more "techno" type plot that didn't really work for me. There were too many people involved in the story and there were some that weren't developed as well as they could have been. Were some of these people involved good, bad, extras? The villians in the other books were very clearly the bad guys. The ending didn't work for me either. It felt sort of forced. I like Tessa as a main c ...more
Kalena
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Suspense; fiction; 2nd book in the Patrick Bowers series. The thing I really enjoy about these books is that I think about topics in the book for several days afterward. Indeed, I am still reviewing in my mind things Mr. James brought up... This is a wonderful trait in a book and will keep me reading this author. While the events in the series are a bit unrealistic, I enjoy the ride. Patrick Bowers is flawed, but knows it. Environmental criminology is a super interesting angle and his step-daugh ...more
Angela Bycroft
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Book Two of the Patrick Bower series gives us another action packed thriller of a tale, guaranteed to get the heart racing and the late night candle burning (if you can handle the scares that late in the night!). Also another chance to get to know Patrick and his daughter Tessa just a little bit better.

Investigating a series of arsons in the city, but with much deeper ramifications with the stealing of a national security weapon being stolen, the tension is palpable. Layer upon layer of plot sl
Cynthia
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Since I read his first novel in the Patrick Bowers series and thought it was okay, I thought I would read his second. It was, again, just okay. What FBI agent travels around with his family in tow? And, what an annoying stepdaughter! What FBI agent, or for that matter anyone with a gun, would first take time to destroy "the device" before going to the aid of a fellow agent? What law enforcement agent would wish he could have cuffed the bad guy instead of letting sharks have their way with him? A ...more
Doreen Dalesandro
May 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Really 2.5 stars.

I listened to this book.

I am quite disappointed with The Rook. Maybe it is because I was so impressed with The Pawn. For my taste, The Rook spends too much time on character development and not enough on plot. The plot is no where near as engaging as that of The Pawn.
Dustin
Sep 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Steven James has built a compelling storyline (Continuing on the story of Patrick Bowers in "The Pawn") based on deep character development, high tech know-how, and being able to convey the fine-line walked between being a criminal and knowing how to catch one.

My favorite line in the book is: "Love that's too timid to ache isn't love at all"

Can't wait for "The Knight" coming out Summer 2009.
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Creepy, creepy, creepy, creepy. Very good, of course, but very creepy. It was a little darker than the first book, and I got somewhat annoyed that there was Danger! on every side, and in every B plot, but good. I might need to take a break and get some lighter reading in before I attempt the next book in the series.
Carol Aselton Benoit
Really enjoyed the book ...and the author. Had never read Steven James before. Will definitely read more. His writing has a lot of detail, the plot involves a lot of twists and turns. Characters, I think, for the most part, are real....but then I have never personally known an FBI agent or profiler. If you are into thrillers and mysteries, this -- and Steven James -- are a must.
AlegnaB †
4.4 -- This was another dark and disturbing but interesting and suspenseful book. I will continue listening to books in this series, but I think I need to listen to lighter, happier fare for a bit before starting the next book in the series.
Jerry
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Taking turns between creepy, intense, heart-breaking, and (to a lesser degree) light-hearted, The Rook is a great follow-up to The Pawn. I'm interested to see where Mr. James takes the story from here; the ending definitely leaves room for a sequel, so my curiosity is piqued.
Susan
Mar 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I'm getting a little put out that this author has no trouble in describing despicable acts of violence but allows no cussing or sex in his writing. One reviewer mentioned that he was a "Christian" author. I don't understand this thought process...
Barbara Brink
Oct 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another great story from Steven James! Although I liked the first one a bit more, this one kept me on the edge of my seat as well. I look forward to getting my hands on the next in the series.
Barry
Dec 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
Liked the first book in the series. Hated this one. Couldn't finish it.
Salsadancer
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steven-james
#2 Patrick Bowles book in which an arsonist strikes top-secret research facility at a key US naval base in San Diego.
Allison Hogue
Sep 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Rook (The Patrick Bowers Files #2) by Steven James - October 8, 2016 8 81 Oct 07, 2016 12:40AM
Fri.'s thought 2 35 Apr 27, 2012 12:04PM

• Chop Shop (Bug Man, #2)
  • Dead of Night (Hidden Faces Series, #3)
  • Deadlock (John Hutchinson, #2)
  • The Justice Game
  • Blood Lines (NCIS, #3)
  • The Warriors (Abby Sherman #2)
  • Haunt of Jackals (Jerusalem's Undead Trilogy #2)
  • Wolfsbane (Discarded Heroes #3)
  • Valley of the Shadow
  • Try Dying
Steven James is a national bestselling novelist whose award-winning, pulse-pounding thrillers continue to gain wide critical acclaim and a growing fan base.

His latest novel, SYNAPSE, a near-future thriller, is set to release on October 8, 2019.

Suspense Magazine, who named Steven’s book EVERY WICKED MAN one of their “Best Books of 2018,” says that he “sets the new standard in suspense writing.” Pu

The Patrick Bowers Files (7 books)
  • The Pawn (The Patrick Bowers Files, #1)
  • The Knight (The Patrick Bowers Files, #3)
  • The Bishop (The Patrick Bowers Files, #4)
  • The Queen (Patrick Bowers Files, #5)
  • The King (Patrick Bowers Files, #6)
  • Checkmate (Patrick Bowers, #7)
“When you get the coffee from the store, does it come in a great big metal can?'

He beamed. 'Absolutely.'

That was all I needed to hear. "Tea. A cup of tea.”
2 likes
“Part of living is acknowledging people’s pain and grief, but not letting it take over your heart. Though it’s always nighttime in the depths, the waves still reflect the day.” 0 likes