Start by marking “I Wish I Were a Butterfly” as Want to Read:
I Wish I Were a Butterfly

I Wish I Were a Butterfly

The littlest cricket of Swampswallow Pond is convinced only by the Wise Old One that being special has nothing to do with physical metamorphosis, flashy colors, or shimmering wings. “The cricket is every child who stopped the music because someone criticized casually, thoughtlessly. It takes a wise friend to bring the music back.”--School Library Journal
Published February 28th 1994 by Clarion Books (first published February 28th 1987)

To ask other readers questions about I Wish I Were a Butterfly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Wish I Were a Butterfly

Start your review of I Wish I Were a Butterfly
Calista
Wow, this is a fantastic story. It is a powerful message for every generation. I don't think the art work is the best thing every, but it does a great job also. If the art was a little better this could be a 5.

This book is about self-esteem and self-love. There is a cricket who is told by a grumpy old frog that is it ugly and the cricket believes it to be true. He wants to be a butterfly. This story touched someplace deep in me with it's powerful message. Many animals try and tell the cricket it
Annette
Nov 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book about self-acceptance and self-love. Ed Young's pastel illustrations are gorgeous: dark and subdued in some places, and suffused with vibrant color in others with a richness throughout. After a frog tells him he is ugly, a cricket wishes to be a butterfly. A glowworm, ladybug and dragonfly tell him to ignore the frog, that appearance is not important, but the cricket sees them as beautiful and feels that they cannot understand. It is the spider who helps him to see himse ...more
Christopher Clark
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A little cricket moans and groans about how ugly he is. He is so upset that he cannot make music. The frog living at the edge of the pond has told him he is ugly and he moans to everyone that he wishes he were a beautiful butterfly. The other insects try to comfort him, but he whines how easy it is for them being beautiful. Finally, his old friend the spider is able to make him realize that he is beautiful in his own way, and he is finally able to make beautiful music again.

I Wish I Were A Butte
David
Jan 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Wow.
Micaela
Mar 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
no matter how many times I read it I still love it!!!
NayDoubleU
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I adore this book. Its easy to follow along and helps the child understand low self worth and gaining positive self worth. Maybe too long but easy to shorten for kinder. Very sweet and will be in my future classroom and is one of my favorites.
Books, Brews & Booze
This is one of those books that made me wonder if it's really one of those children's books that is written for adults.

But then I think, aren't adults just little kids anyway, especially during the times when we feel ugly and wish we looked like someone else... someone more glamorous than us?

I really like the artwork in the book. It's soft and beautiful.

POTENTIAL SPOILER:

Sometimes I find myself being overly critical of the language in children's books and wondering if it sends the 'wrong mess
Josiah
Jul 31, 2009 rated it liked it
The brilliant illustrations of Caldecott Medal winner Ed Young shine forth from these pages in glimmering resplendence, framing the beautiful words of James Howe in ways that border upon perfection.
"I Wish I Were a Butterfly" is a gorgeous story that will reverberate deep within the heart of any reader who feels less than special for any reason at all. The coarse words of the frog and the wisdom of Old One, the most winsome spider in literature since Charlotte, contrast and ripple apart from e
Ashley Wampler
Nov 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Caroline Petty
Oct 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft-of-writing
This is one of those books that makes me very emotional because of the beauty of the words. It's written in such a profound way that it causes a need for accomplishment and self improvement. It is a book that really enables children to feel the words that are written. It is a perfect story to teach children that we all have unique abilities and special things in our own lives that allow us to be valuable people. Instead of feeling remorse at what we do not have, we should feel pride for everythi ...more
Samantha
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who hasn't lamented that they weren't something or someone else? In this story, a cricket wishes it was a butterfly, believing butterflies to be the most beautiful creatures. It takes a wise old spider to show the cricket its true beauty, and in a twist a butterfly wishes it were a cricket after hearing the creature's beautiful music.

Pastel illustrations do a great job of putting readers at insect level and of capturing the passage of light.

Overall, a beautiful story that readers can not only
Breana Vining
This story is about a cricket who wishes to be a butterfly because he thinks he is ugly. He goes on a journey and expresses his desire of this to other animals/insects. He meets a butterfly who wishes that she were a cricket...he feels much better about himself-this is a story that inspires all to not only fing the good things in others, but take a minute to find the good qualities within yourself.
Megan Goss
Sep 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I really liked the illustrations because of the color and the soft painted lines. The illustrations are all full bleed, 2 page spreads. The book deals with the issue of identity and being insecure. The cricket thinks he is ugly and wants to be a butterfly ,but no matter what other bugs say, he still isn't happy with who he is. Only until he talks to the Old One does he start believing that true beauty comes from within. ...more
Sadie Devin
Sep 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: el230b
This would be another book that would make a good transition from picture storybooks to short chapter books. There is a lot of writing per page with very simple illustrations. The illustrations are very cool colors with soft brush strokes making the story seem light and happy. This book has many lessons within it such as the beautiful sounds (or characteristics) that each insect has and how they can enjoy each others sounds.
Alma Loredo
Dec 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book can really help a child build their self-esteem. Children are always teased and some believe what others say. This book helps us realize that we are perfect just the way we are and if we were to change into something else we would not be happy because we are already happy the way we are but we do not always notice it.
Christy
Adalyn McCarty
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el-230
This book was a beautifully written picture book, it was bit lengthy so it would make a great transitional read between a picture book and a short story book. The soft illustrations make the book flow, since there are lots of words on each page. The book has many lessons with itself, such as the different sounds all the insects make and I think it would work best in a 3-5 classroom.
Darlene
Mar 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lled-402-catalog
genre - picture book

topic and theme - cricket wants to be a butterfly

Curricula use - guided reading 2nd or 3rd grade

Social - self-image, friendship

Literary elements - imagery, personification

text and pictures - text is interconnected with pictures
Rachel
Nov 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book would be a good book to discuss theme. The overall theme is to love who you are and have good self esteem. Also, it addresses lots of different types of insects--so tying it into science could be possible as well.
Sandra Vicars
Oct 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rdg-334
A beautiful story about a cricket who thinks himself ugly and his quest to become a butterfly. He encounters many beautiful creatures that help him realize that he is quite special. Be the best you can be!
Julie
Sep 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
A patron recommended this one to me this afternoon. i love when that happens.
Becky
Aug 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
I like the way that this book deals with beauty and self-image - a lovely book!
Dawn
Apr 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I just love this little book. It has such a good message - kind of on the longer side for tiny ones, but the message comes across so well. Very well done.
DeLys
Oct 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book about learning to accept yourself for who you are and what you have to offer.
Monique Mcdonald
Nov 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-esteem
A book that teaches one about self esteem, great for kids who struggle with this self esteem.
Datoria
Nov 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I would use this book for sequencing. It is also good to build self confidence.
Audrey Harlan
Nov 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. Its a great read for students because it talks about self image and loving who you are even when its hard.
Tania
Dec 07, 2010 added it
Shelves: self-confidence
Good book to use to help build self-esteem.
Paul

• Quick as a Cricket
  • Two of Everything
  • James Marshall's Cinderella
  • Catch Me & Kiss Me & Say It Again
  • The Mislaid Magician; or, Ten Years After (Cecelia and Kate, #3)
  • The Grand Tour (Cecelia and Kate, #2)
  • Prague Counterpoint (Zion Covenant, #2)
  • Brian's Winter (Brian's Saga, #3)
  • My Very First Mother Goose
  • Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse

James Howe has written more than eighty books in the thirty-plus years he's been writing for young readers. It sometimes confuses people that the author of the humorous Bunnicula series also wrote the dark young adult novel, The Watcher, or such beginning reader series as Pi