Start by marking “The Little Book of Feminist Saints” as Want to Read:
The Little Book of Feminist Saints

The Little Book of Feminist Saints

This inspiring, beautifully illustrated collection honors one hundred exceptional women throughout history and around the world.

A Stylist Must-read Book of 2018

In this luminous volume, New York Times bestselling writer Julia Pierpont and artist Manjit Thapp match short, vibrant, and surprising biographies with stunning full-color portraits of secular female "saints" champi
Published March 6th 2018 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about The Little Book of Feminist Saints, please sign up.
Sarah No. Not that were born in Canada, anyway. Hadn't thought of that while reading, but it's disappointing.

Nat
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is EXACTLY what I’ve been looking for in terms of feminist collections. I mentioned before in my reviews for equally striking books (Bad Girls Throughout History & Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls) how I’m not keen on Wikipedia-esque entries, instead, I prefer anecdotes that bring the women back to life through words. And oh, how Julia Pierpont delivered with The Little Book of Feminist Saints.

“These entries are not meant to serve as short biographies, summaries of each woman’s life t
emma
Okay. Let’s get the important stuff out of the way:

READ THAT TITLE.

LOOK AT THAT COVER.

DO BOTH AGAIN!!! PREFERABLY REPEAT STEPS 1-3 UNTIL YOU’RE SURE - REALLY SURE - YOU HAVE APPRECIATED EACH TO BOTH YOUR FULL CAPACITY AND THE DEGREE TO WHICH THEY DESERVE APPRECIATION.

When done, feel free to continue reading. Or don’t - we’ve already done what really matters here.

Basically this book is teeny and gorgeous and smart and creative and unique and I love it so much. I read it right after the high of re
da AL
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Outwardly charming & lovely, this seemingly sweet little book sinks deep into the heart with the seriousness of how so many sung & unsung heroines exist...

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Wow! This has been a fantastic month for feminist reads for me. I read about five times more than normal and all of them, with one glaring exception, have been excellent. THE LITTLE BOOK OF FEMINIST SAINTS is a fun little book packing a surprising amount of feminists and strong/progressive women. Each woman gets her own mini section, with an abbreviated bio presented vignette-style, and, of course, a stylized portrait.

THE LITTLE BOOK OF FEM
Juliette D.
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
We’ve been reading “Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls” for more than 6 months with my little daughter which she really loved. So, I chose this book only to see if I could read it along with my daughter.

First, more than a half of the women were from the States, the author might have considered this fact while naming the book (American Feminists and Some Others?)... And, there were also some comments on YouTube or Instagram the author chooses to mention in the stories! Oh come on, this is not a
Rebecca
Like A Glorious Freedom, this is a celebration of women’s achievements, especially those that have been overlooked. Each “matron saint,” presented in chronological order by birthday, gets a two-page spread, with a full-color portrait on the left (by Manjitt Thapp, a young British artist) and a very short biographical essay on the right that highlights the saint’s background and her contribution towards greater opportunities for women. The first two subjects give you a sense of the range covered: ...more
Amber
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very beautiful illustrations and I really liked the diversity of women present in this little book. The tidbits about these women's lives also made them feel more dynamic and memorable, rather than just a straight list of facts & accomplishments. With the descriptions of the women you felt you could see a bit of their personalities. Of course, it's also a helpful guide to what these women have accomplished and how they are important figures to the feminist movement. However, I liked not bein ...more
Alice Lippart
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Always great to read these types of books.
Lorilin
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir, arc, own
This is a short and concise book that highlights important women over the years. There is a crazy range of personalities in here, from all different countries, religions, areas of expertise, and time periods.

Featured women are artists like Yayoi Kusama (who used art as a way to process her hallucinations), actresses like Bea Arthur (who embraced her deep voice and tall stature to portray tough, no-nonsense women), explorers like Amelia Earhart (whose strong independence helped her become the fir
Krystal
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This captivating book brought a diverse collection of both renowned and lesser known feminist trailblazers to life with vivid illustrations and meaningful details about why they should be remembered!
Paula Bardell-Hedley
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Paula by: Edelweiss
“Let us pick up our books and pens. They are our most powerful weapons. One child, one teacher, one pen and one book can change the world. Education is the only solution.”
Malala Yousafzai, Matron Saint of Students (Feast Day 12th July)
Its publication date scheduled to coincide with International Women's Day, Julia Pierpont's The Little Book of Feminist Saints is a joyous celebration of one hundred women who achieved something of significance during their lives.

A variety of female voices contri
Helen Power
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!
Shelves: arc
The Little Book of Feminist Saints is quite the treasure and I’m thrilled that I had a chance to read it before it was published. Modelled after the format of the Catholic little books of saints, Pierpont chose an interesting format that works well for the content. While reading this book, I sometimes recognized the well-known male counterparts in the bios of women that I hadn't even heard of. This is evidence enough of how much a book like this was needed.

Rather than providing a dry biography
Jen
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If I could give this book a million stars, I would. I cannot say enough good things about this book. This book is like chicken soup and some sort of massive energy drink for my inner beast mode feminine soul.
Celebrating women such as Ada Lovelace, Wilma Mankiller, Sojourner Truth, Sally Ride, Malala Yousafzai, and so much more, and modeled after the "Saint of the Day" books, Pierpont looks at a diverse cross section of women throughout history. Casting them as "Matron Saints" of various endeavor
l.
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
It’s a cute idea but:

- the art isn’t great. some figures are unrecognizable and there’s no real thought put into how they’re being portrayed. depictions of saints generally reflect something about them and their lives; these don’t.

- some inclusions are... bhutto?? madonna?? hillary clinton??

- the blurbs are not great tbh

- it’s too white. an attempt was made but over half are still white and unnecessarily so. honestly I think at this point if you’re making a list, you need to see if you can repl
Shomeret
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anthology, biography
I loved the concept of Matron Saints. I decided to post a list of my favorite ones above my desk in case I wanted to dedicate a blog post to a Matron Saint. There were unexpected nuggets in some of the one page profiles. My only complaint is that I wish Pierpont gave us source notes.

My favorite Matron Saint title was the Matron Saint of Going Off Script which Pierpont bestowed on Marlene Dietrich.

One of my favorite stories was the one about Shirley Chisholm visiting George Wallace in the hospita
Hannah
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of inspiring women’s stories here - I just wished that each mini biography was a bit longer. Some felt rushed while others went into more detail. Overall, I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking to add more feminist books to their library.

Thank you, Random House, for sending me an ebook ARC in exchange for an honest review. I can imagine the illustrations are really beautiful in print!
AleJandra
Pop Sugar Reading Challenge 2018
Un libro acerca del Feminismo.

Reseña pendiente…
Jessica T.
Oh boy. I loved this. This book is set up as a Catholic saint of the day book with feast days and beautiful art. It's a diverse selection of feminist icons. There were several times i had to go look up someone because i had never heard of them before. This is perfect for an adult or your little feminist at home.
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I first picked this book, I thought, oh another book about famous women. Wonder if I'll learn anything new.

Answer, yes, yes, I did.

This is more than just short histories of famous women. This is a collection that calls out why these women are famous and should be known about, and what they were known about. Yes, it is odd to make it out to be saint days, but why not?

And these are not light little nothings about famous women. These are all statements of why we should honor and listen to the
Jesica DeHart
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When a book inspires you to learn more, to strive and imbues you with awe then it settles into your heart. I will take the lives introduced in this book with me to challenge me going forward in life!
Ryan
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Going through this day by day and learning about new, important, amazing women (or learning new things about women I thought I already new) was such a delight. I implore anybody who loves women to buy this and follow along. It's an absolute delight.
Geoffrey
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
(Note: I received an advanced electronic copy of this book courtesy of NetGalley)

To try and sum this up as succinctly as this work’s various entries, “The Little Book of Feminist Saints” does two things incredibly well.

The first is how it educates. Yes, it mentions many of the prominent women that one would expect, such as Oprah, Hillary Clinton, Amelia Earhart, etc. However, it also provides more exposure to many of the great women that we may know only by name or face, but don’t necessarily k
Carol
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All through high school I kept a list of famous women. Not actresses or celebrities, but women who made their mark, women who were game-changers. Maria Mitchell, Lucy Stone, the Bronte sisters. By the time I graduated I had pages of names to back me up whenever a boy scoffed and said "Women can't do that." Yes, we can, I said - which took guts, because I was a shy girl, but being told I couldn't do something merely because of my gender made me angry enough to come out of my shell.

This book is a
Mainon
Really cool idea. Each of the featured women is named a matron saint--for example, Harriet Tubman is the "Matron Saint of Freedom"--and given a feast day, followed by a short biography. I learned a lot, actually. Did you know Tubman (at around age 40) became the first woman to lead an armed assault during the Civil War?
The Combahee River Raid, led by Tubman and Union Colonel James Montgomery, and remembered by the New York Times as 'arguably the most beautiful scene ever recorded in a war,' fac
Rebecca
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lovely little gem of a book highlighting the lives of fascinating women as saints. Each Saint is commemorated with her own feast day and beautiful vibrant icon like art. My favorites includes Barbara Jordan 'Matron Saint of the Constitution' ,Juana Ines De La Cruz 'Matron Saint of Intellectuals' and The Mirabal Sisters 'Matron Saints of Rebels'. Some Matron Saints were women who I was unfamiliar with, but enough information was given to pique my curiosity.( Another reason to accomplish more read ...more
Lauren
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute book that didn’t so much as tell a biography of these women but defined their spirits and I really liked it. I learned a lot from this book and I think I might end up giving this a gifts.
Savannah
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Wowowowowow. I learned so much. I had always heard of many of these women, but had never known their stories. Wow!

I love reading nonfiction and telling everyone around me (mainly my mom) interesting facts that I learn, and this book supplies plentiful facts that are extremely interesting. Geez I love history.

I’m really gonna have to get myself a copy of this. These women are so inspirational. I had seen Julia Child’s kitchen in the Smithsonian two summers ago, but I hadn’t been able to appr
Emily
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My only frustration is I can't find stand-alone, or more in-depth, books on some of these amazing ladies. My interest is piqued, with nothing to sate it.
Amanda Winesett
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is beautiful. Every woman is drawn in iconic saintly imagery, so that you truly see the "aboveness" of her. I knew many of these stories and feel invigorated by them all. I ordered several copies and will keep one in my now to give away when the time is right. Read this.
Devann
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley

This was a really great book and I liked how they did several things to set it apart from other similar books. Each feminist 'saint' has her own entry with a portrait, what she is the 'matron saint' of, a feast day [picked from some important date in her life], and a brief page-long entry about her life. I liked that they decided to just focus on a single event or quote from each woman instead of trying to sum up her entire life in one page becau
  • Why We March: Signs of Protest and Hope
  • She Persisted Around the World: 13 Women Who Changed History
  • Dear Sisters: Dispatches from the Women's Liberation Movement
  • Dress Like a Woman: Working Women and What They Wore
  • Dead Feminists: Historic Heroines in Living Color
  • Losing It: How We Popped Our Cherry Over the Last 80 Years
  • Evil Sisters: The Threat of Female Sexuality in Twentieth-Century Culture
  • Bad Girls of Fashion: Style Rebels from Cleopatra to Lady Gaga
  • A Glorious Freedom: On Being a Woman, Growing Older, and Living an Extraordinary Life
  • Swimming in the Steno Pool: A Retro Guide to Making It in the Office
  • Best Food Writing 2015
  • Nasty Women: Feminism, Resistance, and Revolution in Trump's America
  • Gloria's Voice: The Story of Gloria Steinem, Feminist, Activist, Leader
  • Of Cats and Men: Profiles of History's Great Cat-loving Artists, Writers, Thinkers, and Statesmen
  • Bloom: A Story of Fashion Designer Elsa Schiaparelli
  • Ladies of Labor, Girls of Adventure: Working Women, Popular Culture, and Labor Politics at the Turn of the Twentieth Century
  • Roses and Radicals: The Epic Story of How American Women Won the Right to Vote
  • We're Right, They're Wrong: A Handbook for Spirited Progressives
Julia Pierpont is the author of Among the Ten Thousand Things, her debut novel. She is a graduate of Barnard College and the M.F.A. program at N.Y.U., where she was a Rona Jaffe Graduate Fellow. She lives in Brooklyn with her lunatic dog, Dash.