Start by marking “A Brush with Shadows (Lady Darby Mystery #6)” as Want to Read:
A Brush with Shadows (Lady Darby Mystery #6)

A Brush with Shadows

(Lady Darby Mystery #6)

Sebastian Gage returns home to battle the ghosts of his past and prevent them from destroying his future with Kiera in the latest exciting installment in this national bestselling series.

July 1831. It's been fifteen years since Sebastian Gage has set foot in Langstone Manor. Though he has shared little with his wife, Lady Kiera Darby, about his past, she knows that he plan
Published March 6th 2018 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about A Brush with Shadows, please sign up.

Start your review of A Brush with Shadows (Lady Darby Mystery #6)
Caz
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've given this a B- at AAR, so that's 3.5 stars rounded up.

At the end of As Death Draws Near, the fifth book in Anna Lee Huber’s series of historical mysteries, the recently-wed Lady Darby and her husband, private enquiry agent Sebastian Gage, were urgently summoned to England – specifically, to Gage’s family home at Langstone Manor in Dartmoor. Gage’s cousin, Alfred, heir to their grandfather, Viscount Tavistock, has gone missing, and the elderly and ailing viscount wants Gage to find him.

Book
Mei
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
It's always a pleasure to read about Lady Darby and Sebastian!

Here we discover what happened with Sebastian's family. And I liked that we get to know his grandfather, his cusins and his aunt, even if they're not a very likable lot!

They all treated Sebastian very badly when he was a child.

Me, as well as Keira, put some blame on is mother's shoulders too!

A nice mistery, even if the culprit is rather unbelievable (view spoiler)! B
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Absolutely loved getting a look into Gage's family from his mom's side. Loved all the characters (flaws and all!) and can't wait for more from this amazing duo! This has quickly become a favorite series of mine and I can't seem to read them fast enough!
LORI (Dollycas) CASWELL
Dollycas’s Thoughts

I have been anxiously awaiting this book after the little teaser the author left us with at the end of As Death Draws Near, but it was definitely worth the wait.

Gage takes Kiera to his home, Langstone Manor. A place he hasn’t been since his mother’s death 15 years ago. His grandfather has summoned him to get there as fast as possible but the trip from Ireland took a little time. They arrive to find the Viscount Tavistock, deathly ill and his heir, Gage’s cousin, Alfred missing
Piyangie
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The sixth installment of Lady Darby series is personally the one I enjoyed the most so far. This time the mystery is set in Dartmoor, the family estate of Sebastian Gage's maternal grandfather. Due to the family set up, there were lot more to the story than the mere solving of a mystery. The mystery itself does not share the same suspense and intrigue of the first mysteries of this series, nevertheless, the personal touch to it made the mystery quite interesting.

However, what interested me more
Sophia
It was inevitable. The series brings Kiera and Gage right back where he started- unfinished business with his maternal family living on the dark and mysterious moors. His grandfather's plea for his help to find his missing cousin sets them on a search that delves into present and past family secrets including the family curse. I love this series so I required no hook to get me reading, but it sure didn't hurt.

A Brush with Shadows is the sixth of the Lady Darby Mysteries set in 1830's British Isl
Christine PNW
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series continues to please. This particular installment takes Kiera and Sebastian to Dartmoor, to his family home, because the heir, Alfred, has disappeared. Alfred has a history of a rather nasty relationship with Gage, and Alfred's mother is the frankly not very nice Vanessa.

Anna Lee Huber gives more than a passing nod to ACD's The Hound of the Baskervilles in this one. It's probably impossible for a mystery author to set a mystery on Dartmoor without doing so - and the moor's atmospheric
Staci
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
The Lady Darby Series continues to be delightful. In this sixth novel, readers get to know Sebastian Gage's family. Gage has been disconnected from them for years, but was asked by his grandfather to return and find his missing cousin.

In typical fashion, the scenery and mood come alive under the pen of Anna Lee Huber. The villain was quite a surprise. Thankfully, the end alludes to the series continuing.

My gratitude to the author and publisher Berkley for a complimentary NetGalley copy of the no
Susan Snodgrass
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The first time I laid eyes on Langstone Manor I could not blame my husband for staying away for over fifteen years."

So begins Anna Lee Huber's 6th Lady Darby Mystery. I discovered her Lady Darby series a little over a year ago with the very first, The Anatomist's Wife, and was captivated by the beauty of her writing. I was able to read the first few one right after the other. There is also a novella.

Sebastian Gage reluctantly goes back to his childhood home in Dartmoor at the urgent request of
The Lit Bitch
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The last Lady Darby book was a little bit of a left down for me. That said, I was eager to see what this book held because I really love Anna Lee Huber’s books, not just the Lady Darby books, but all of her books!

The thing that excited me most about this book was the eye catching cover. I totally need this sunny yellow dress to wear around town….it’s beautiful. I was absolutely in love with this cover…..yes I know that’s terrible but it’s the truth. I was happy to read this because the happy yel
Primrose Jess
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book with a contented sigh and anticipation for the next book in the Lady Darby series. Anna Lee Huber has done a marvelous job guiding fans of Kiera and Gage through a series of mysteries, near death experiences, friendship turning to something more, marriage, and now the duo are pulled into a an inquiry involving the disappearance of Gage's cousin, Alfred, heir to Langstone Manor.

Devoted fans of the Lady Darby series recall that Gage's life has been filled with contention with
Julie Griffith Buckley
Three quarters of this book are extremely slow reading. Very repetitious, no character development, little plot movement. All of a sudden toward the end Huber seems to remember we the need for some suspense and an unlikely villain (although his motive remains a bit of a mystery.). I've liked other books in this series, but could've given this one a miss.
Lady Wesley
3.5 stars rounded up.
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
Lady Darby a.k.a. Kiera Gage and her husband Sebastian Gage return to Sebastian's childhood home, Langstone Manor, at the request of his grandfather, Viscount Tavistock, to investigate the disappearance of his cousin Alfred. His family hinders their investigation from the start by either withholding information or misleading them so what should have been an easy inquiry turns in to much more that...

I enjoyed the story but I don't think the author used the Moors and the family curse to its full p
Barbara Rogers
Series: Lady Darby Mystery #6
Publication Date: 3/6/18

Fifteen years ago, at the age of eighteen, Sebastian Gage walked away from Langstone Manor and swore he’d never return. Now, it is in view, as cold and brooding as the moors on which it sits. Every nerve in Sebastian’s body is singing and the tension in the coach is palpable. He certainly didn’t want to return, but here he is, all because his grandfather sent him a missive asking him to come and investigate his cousin’s disappearance. He almos
Betty
Thanks to the Meridian Library for my, copy. As Lady Darby and her husband, Gage leave Ireland, he received a letter from his Grandfather, the Viscount Tavistock to return to his childhood home, Langstone Manor. Arriving there the find that they were not expected and did not receive a friendly welcome. They learn that Gage's cousin, Alford heir to his Grandfather has been missing 10 days and foul play might have occurred.
The story takes many twists and turns before the pair find the answer. The
Meera
It was nice to get back to Lady Darby's world. This one was a bit slow moving. Nothing really happens till the last quarter of the book. I liked it mostly because of the characters. We also found out more about Gage's background in this.
This was my least favourite of the series by far. It was really boring. I'm pretty sure it's a case of "it's not you, it's me" since there seem to be many other reads who adore this series as a whole. However, I do not, as a general rule, enjoy stories told from the first person point of view. For me, it definitely doesn't make the storytelling very interesting. Add to that a character who's very repetitive and I started falling asleep as I was reading. If you read just the first quarter of this ...more
eyes.2c
Mysterious landscapes! Pasts and present collide!

What a dynamic duo! Sebastian Gage and his wife, Lady Kiera Darby. As they move forward in their life together Sebastian is called back to the family estate, Langstone Manor, deep in the landscape of Dartmoor. His father is still his supercilious self, as we see from his letters.
We learn the story of Gage's upbringing. We meet his truculent and now deathly ill grandfather, the Viscount Tavistock. We come to know about his cousins Alfred and Roland
Milena
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Brush with Shadows is the sixth book in the Lady Darby series. In this installment, Kiera and Gage travel to Dartmoor to investigate the disappearance of Gage's cousin, Alfred. Kiera and the readers get to meet many new characters, Sebastian's maternal relatives, including his grandfather and see the place where Gage spent most of his childhood. The book started a little slow and it took me a while to get into the story but once it picked up I was absorbed in the mystery and really enjoyed it. ...more
Primrose Jess
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Linaria
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, mystery
It's another decent book in the series. Most of the mysteries in the series thus far have focused on Lady Darby's family, so it was interesting to have a turn-about in this book. The book deals with a decades-old family mystery of poisonings in Sebastian's family. There are rumors of a family curse and Kiera and Sebastian have to get to the bottom of it before more people die.

If you've liked the books in this series so far, this is just more of the same, but with more emphasis on Sebastian and
Niki
May 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
suspense, romance = good ingredients to have a good read on a gloomy and rainy belgian sunday - always a pleasure to have gage and keira back
Lorraine
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Lady Darby Mysteries.
Dartmoor/Devon is the setting for Anna Lee Huber’s 6th Lady Darby Mystery, A Brush with Shadows, and what a perfect choice for this excellent mystery which is a brilliant addition to the series. I was ‘captured’ from the first page which pleased me as Devon and Dartmoor are two favorite places of mine! Kiera, Lady Darby, and her recently wed husband, Sebastian Gage, are summoned to Langstone Manor, Gage’s childhood home which he has not visited in 15 years, by Gage’s grandfather, Viscount Tavist ...more
Susan
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Captivating! Huber delivers another masterpiece in her Lady Darby series. I was immediately drawn into the story from the very first sentence. She pens a great mystery, her pacing is impeccable. But it is her descriptive prose of Langstone Manor and the surrounding moors that immerses the reader in the story. This story is filled with wonderful hints of old folk legends of pixies and witches, old manor houses with secret passages, old family curses and secrets.
As Kiera and Gage seek t
Sometime
I really enjoyed the mystery in this one. It was full of questions and misdirection as they try to discover if there really is a "family curse" that goes back for generations.

Gage and Kiera are called back to Gage's childhood home when his grandfather asks them to come find out what happened to his missing heir Albert. Poor Gage hasn't been back for 15 years since his mother's funeral. And these people he calls family are a very nasty lot.

Gage hasn't been very open with his wife about his past.
Linda
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this sixth book in the Lady Darby series, Kiera and Gage are summoned by Gage’s maternal grandfather to investigate when his cousin goes missing. Gage’s relationship with that side of his family is strained, and he has not returned to see his relatives since his mother died fifteen years earlier, so the request was both a surprise and one he feels he cannot refuse.

It turns out there is good reason for his long absence and his ill feelings towards the people with whom he grew up. Gage and Kier
Rebecca
I supposed no matter how old you were, or how long ago your mother had passed, you never stopped wanting her.

This is one of my favorite books of the series. Since I'm partial to Gage, I especially enjoyed learning more about his family and past. The mystery aspect was good, but the resolution was a little quick. Loved the ending and can't believe it will be an entire year until I get to see these two again.

Nidofito
I liked how Kiera and Gage were able to work together to solve the mystery, weak as it was. Their show of love for each other was something I missed in the last book. I also liked Gage’s backstory. I didn’t really know what to expect, but I’m glad of the attention it was given, although the murder mystery suffered because of it which didn’t really hold up well and was needlessly wasteful of lives.

• Murder at Half Moon Gate (Wrexford & Sloane, #2)
  • Murder on Black Swan Lane (Wrexford & Sloane, #1)
  • Murder at Queen's Landing (Wrexford & Sloane, #4)
  • Murder at Kensington Palace (Wrexford & Sloane, #3)
  • Who Speaks for the Damned (Sebastian St. Cyr, #15)
  • Silent on the Moor (Lady Julia Grey, #3)
  • Dark Road to Darjeeling (Lady Julia Grey, #4)
  • A Murderous Relation (Veronica Speedwell, #5)
  • Lady Anne and the Howl in the Dark (Lady Anne Addison Mysteries, #1)
  • What Remains of Heaven (Sebastian St. Cyr, #5)
  • Silent in the Sanctuary (Lady Julia Grey, #2)
  • Why Kings Confess (Sebastian St. Cyr #9)
  • The Dark Enquiry (Lady Julia Grey, #5)
  • Sweet Revenge (A Lady Arianna Regency Mystery #1)
  • When Maidens Mourn (Sebastian St. Cyr, #7)
  • Recipe For Treason (A Lady Arianna Regency Mystery #3)
  • Where Shadows Dance (Sebastian St. Cyr, #6)
  • Where Serpents Sleep (Sebastian St. Cyr, #4)
Anna Lee Huber is the Daphne award-winning author of the national bestselling Lady Darby Mysteries, the Verity Kent Mysteries, the Gothic Myths series, and the forthcoming anthology The Deadly Hours. She is a summa cum laude graduate of Lipscomb University in Nashville, Tennessee, where she majored in music and minored in psychology. She currently resides in Indiana with her family and is hard at ...more

Lady Darby Mystery (9 books)
  • The Anatomist's Wife (Lady Darby Mystery, #1)
  • Mortal Arts (Lady Darby Mystery, #2)
  • A Grave Matter (Lady Darby Mystery #3)
  • A Study in Death (Lady Darby Mystery #4)
  • As Death Draws Near (Lady Darby Mystery #5)
  • An Artless Demise (Lady Darby Mystery #7)
  • A Stroke of Malice (Lady Darby Mystery, #8)
  • A Wicked Conceit (Lady Darby Mystery, #9)