Start by marking “Daughters of the Storm (Blood and Gold, #1)” as Want to Read:
Daughters of the Storm (Blood and Gold, #1)

Daughters of the Storm

(Blood and Gold #1)

Five very different sisters team up against their stepbrother to save their kingdom in this Norse-flavored fantasy epic--the start of a new series in the tradition of Naomi Novik, Peter V. Brett, and Robin Hobb.

FIVE ROYAL SISTERS. ONE CROWN.

They are the daughters of a king. Though they share the same royal blood, they could not be more different. Bluebell is a proud warrio
Published March 6th 2018 by Del Rey Books (first published November 1st 2014)

The Cruel Prince by Holly BlackWar Storm by Victoria AveyardQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareA Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa TahirObsidio by Amie Kaufman
YA Novels of 2018
1,040 books — 5,376 voters
Brett by Melissa FosterOur Dark Stars by Audrey GreyObsidio by Amie KaufmanRestore Me by Tahereh MafiIndecent by Corinne Sullivan
March 2018 Releases
107 books — 175 voters

More lists with this book...

Robin Hobb
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Caveat: I received this book for free from my publisher. I read it as an Advance Reading Copy. I don't think this affects my feelings about the book, but I like to be transparent.

As always, I try to make my reviews spoiler free.

This is the first of a trilogy. It has a very satisfying wrap up, but some readers will want more immediately. I think it stood very well alone.

Strong female characters with 'agency'. (I really don't like using that word that way! But it has become the nomenclature.) This
Carrie
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Daughters of the Storm by Kim Wilkins is the first book of the Blood and Gold series. I’ve seen this one marked as a young adult fantasy but my first warning would be there is sexual content along with of course some violence to make this one more for mature readers. The story does have a bit of a historical feel to it too taking place in a time where one traveled but horse and kings ruled the lands.

The story is of course told from multiple points of view with so many characters being involved.
Debra
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. I am not a huge fantasy reader. I don't have anything against it, I just prefer other genres. But the description sounded good and I figured why not!?!

Five very different sisters (Bluebell, Ash, Rose, Willow, Ivy) set off on a journey to save their father who just so happens to be King of Thyrsland. He is very ill, in a coma-like state on the brink of death. It is determined that he is elf-shot. Someone has poisoned him and he
Heidi The Reader
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Something is wrong with the king. His five daughters rush home from various parts of the world to try to figure out what is going on. No one likes a power vacuum.

Meanwhile, there's problems in the marriage of one of the sisters, whose alliance with the kingdom next door helps keep war to a minimum. Also, there's raiders who have a mysterious crow-shaped tattoo accosting people on the roads. So, there's a lot going on.

And that doesn't even take into account everything that is happening to the twi
Dianne
The king is on the brink of death and his five daughters are on a mission to save him by finding a mysterious and powerful witch, the only person who can reverse the magic that is stealing his life. They must first learn to trust in one another, forget old rivalries and embrace the magic that is family. Only then will they be ready to find the witch and understand that familial discord and history has been repeating itself.

They share the same blood, but they are as different as five strangers ca
Karen Brooks
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an extraordinary novel that once I started reading it, found it hard to tear myself away from. I didn’t read this book - I devoured it - greedily. In Daughters of the Storm, Kim Wilkins, a masterful storyteller, presents us with a rich and detailed historical fantasy featuring a poisoned king, his five very different daughters, and a land in existential and leadership crisis.
Drawing on her vast knowledge and love of Anglo-Saxon England, Wilkins gives us a vivid and diverse world where fa
Candace Robinson
Well, I really liked the betrayal in this. At first I thought there were too many sisters and too many POV’s. The warrior, the romantic, the seer, the flirt, and the crazy. They each had their distinct personalities, but I couldn’t connect with most of them. I actually liked “the villain” Wylm the best, and sweet Eni. I felt so bad for little Eni! But I am still anxious to see where the next book is going to go. Bluebell definitely gave me Xena vibes!
Lisa
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2018-release
Review from Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2018/0...

Daughters of the Storm just grabbed me from the very beginning. I found the story to be fun and well paced, and the range of characters kept it interesting. There are five sisters, all daughters of the King, who is declining in health. Each of these women are incredibly different and each interesting in their own way.

The oldest sister, Bluebell, is a fighter that has pretty much shunned any marital or remotely feminine expecta
The Captain
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Ahoy there me mateys! I received this fantasy eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. So here be me honest musings . . .

I wanted to love this book, I really did. The publisher offered me an e-arc of this book because I adored the bear and the nightingale. And honestly it should have been an awesome read.
The story involves five daughters of a king. A king who happens to have fallen into a deep coma-like slumber. So all of the daughters are drawn to their father’s side to say their g
Liz
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five daughters, compelled by fate, duty, and familial bonds, must journey to find a cure for the illness that consumes their father.

The warrior King of Thyrsland – the Storm Bearer – is deathly ill and smothered by wild fits of madness.

Bluebell, the oldest of the sisters and next in line for the throne, is determined to find the undermagician in their bloodline – the one who possesses the power to cure her father.

As the five sisters – Bluebell, Ash, Rose, Willow and Ivy –journey to find their p
Alaina
WHERE CAN I FIND THE NEXT BOOK PLEASE?

Daughters of the Storm was highly entertaining. Throughout the book I couldn't quite decide which bad ass sister was my favorite.. but maybe with the ending I'm leaning more towards Willow. I mean.. come on? Is it even a competition at this point? Don't get me wrong Bluebell is a bad ass all on her own but that ending guys! I'm still freaking out!!

This book started off really well in my opinion. The King is ill and the Queen wants someone to be with him - li
SnoopyDoo's Book Reviews
I was offered an ARC of this book and after reading the blurb fir it I thought it might be something I enjoy and I mostly did.
However there also were a few things that I didn’t like as much but overall it was a good book that you will enjoy if you like fantasy.
For me the story was a bit slow-paced, but I couldn’t figure out if it was the story line or if it was just me. The entire book is very descriptive, which is always nice but sometimes can slow one down.
I definitely enjoyed the story and
Tehani
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: australian, fantasy
I absolutely loved the novella "Crown of Rowan: A Tale of Thyrsland", set in this world, which appeared in Legends of Australian Fantasy back in 2010, and have been eagerly awaiting the series since then. It was worth the wait – this is one of the best books I've read in ages! The worldbuilding is beautifully done – Wilkins has avoided the trap of overburdening the reader with too much information, but cleverly seeds details throughout the book, which increased the richness of the reading experi ...more
Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It)
This was a book that I was dying to read, so I am so disappointed that I didn't love this book as much as I was hoping I would.

I loved the author's writing style and the world she created, but the reason I couldn't love this book was because of the characters. I just could not get myself to connect to or care for any of the characters in this story. I genuinely COULD NOT STAND any of the characters.

None of the daughters were characters I ever wanted to root for. They were narcissistic, frustra
Meredith
Lee
I received Queens of the Sea via Netgalley and, instead of jumping in with that third book in the series, I decided to go back and start with Daughters of the Storm, the first.

I can’t remember reading anything in the fantasy realm since I was very very young, so I don’t have a lot to compare it to but, I must say, I really enjoyed this book.

This is the story of five sisters, daughters of the king, and I thought Wilkins did a pretty good job at giving them all equal time throughout. I do think, h
Bitchin' Reads
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a book I'm going to need to read again to fully appreciate it. I wasn't feeling it 100% but still pushed through, wanting to move on in my TBR pile. I will definitely give it another go when I feel more into it.

I do want to note that I had been really excited about this one. It seemed to channel a lot of elements of books I know I already enjoy--roots in fantasy, medieval period, family coming together to overcome some challenge, budding sisterhood, strong women, the list could go on--so
Ari
Not a bad read, but I had a lot of trouble caring about any of these characters, to be honest. I'm afraid I won't be continuing the series.
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
I legitimately can't figure out if I liked this book or not. Some characters are so fucking stupid and annoying but I really liked some other characters and the writing was decent... 🤔🤔🤔 Have to figure this out before Sunday's video
Clare O'Beara
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This fantasy epic is set in a world like the Norse - Celtic - early Christian world. Violence, strong language and mature themes from the start. The story follows five adult sisters and a brother by marriage, who are possibles to inherit the throne as the current king lies very ill. If the new (thinly disguised Christian) religion is accepted by the king, his people cannot demur, and nor can they put a woman on the throne. One particularly dim sister has devoted herself to this religion, but the ...more
Jessica
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was a first Kim Wilkins for me. And I was pleasantly surprised with her writing style.

However the characters left much to be desired in my opinion.

I understand that good characters should have strengths and weaknesses, virtues and flaws.

But all of these characters, these sisters. Drove me crazy. They all appear to be just as bad as each other. The only mildly interesting character whose opinions, thoughts and actions didn't drive me to shake my book in frustration, was the mystical
Melissa Riley
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-audio
Kim Wilkins is Queen. This book was first described to me back in 2014 as Game of Thrones with chicks and that is a really good snapshot. The world is expertly formed and all of the characters are realistic and well developed. I read the short story collection which gave me an insight into the time before Daughters of the Storm and the Rose/Heath sub-plot.

I found the dynamic between the sisters to be really interesting. Bluebell, Ash and Ivy are tight-knit even though they live so far apart but
Billie
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked it and will read any sequels, but I felt it was a little cliched—think the Bennet sisters thrust into King Lear and with Elizabeth being played by Brienne of Tarth. There's an evil, grasping stepmother with a sleazy, slimy son; a mysterious magical illness that can only be cured with the help of a long-lost, estranged witchy sister; a mysterious mentoring magician in the woods; and, well, you get the idea. It was well done, but it didn't feel terribly new or fresh or revelatory.
Kim Falconer
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Kim Wilkins is on of my favorite Aussie authors, and Daughters of the Storm has only increased this conviction.

It's a strong story, beautifully written and full of surprises. I love the heart in it, and the deeply human quality to all the characters. Their loves and their flaws bring this story to life. Wilkins' world-building is seamless, evocative and engaging. Brilliant fantasy. What's not to love?

I'm hanging out for the next in the series!
Jolie
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it

I am a huge Robin Hobb fan and when I saw that this book was compared to her works, my interest was caught. Then, after reading the blurb, I was even more interested in it. A book that had Norse mythology elements and has strong female characters. Sign me up. I am glad that I requested this book. The plotlines were engaging and kept me hooked on the book. It was also fast-paced. I was left breathless while reading most of the book.

Daughters of the Storm ha
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)

I really enjoyed this Norse-inspired feminist fantasy! I was invested in the fate of five sisters who are left fending for themselves after their father, the King falls into a coma. Often with fantasy it takes me a while to get into it, but this was just so readable that I ended up devouring multiple chapters at a time.

Bluebell was definitely my favourite, as the headstrong Commander who is next in line for the throne. She is a really strong, masculine warrior and I loved how she was eq
Shannon
This was so much fun to read, and I absolutely loved it! It's a great fantasy story that hooks you in right from the start, and I can't wait to read the next book in the series to find out what happens. The sisters are each so different, and I like how the story switches back and forth between them. The fantasy elements are so neat and imaginative. I loved being in this world, and I hate that I have to wait so long for book two.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for giving me a free copy
Anne - Books of My Heart
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.I liked this beginning to the Blood and Gold series.   I enjoyed learning about the five sisters. However, it was not easy to like all the sisters. Good grief, sometimes they are SO selfish! The attitudes border on mean and petty at times. These are new adults in their late teens to middle 20s
Allyce Cameron
After reading the short story Crown of Rowan a few years ago I was excited to see what would happen in this new series. I hadn't read any Kim Wilkins before and was really keen to give her a go.

It is beautifully written with descriptive imagery that just pulls you in. I think the main issue I had with the book was the characters. I did really enjoy the rotating POV between the siblings and it was fascinating to read how the opinions of the sisters were different to how they saw themselves. Howe
Leah (Jane Speare)
When the king is spelled to sleep and nearing death, Lord Bluebell gathers her sisters from every corner of the land to bring their father to safety until vengeance can be extracted from the unknown assailant. Daughters of the Storm introduces elements of Norse mythology to set the stage, political power plays are in full swing from all sides, and prophecy and sisterhood bring it all together to a heart pounding climax. These women are so true to their individual natures and full of faults that ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Winter Be My Shield (Children of the Black Sun, #1)
  • The Wicked Wood (Tales from the Tower, #2)
  • Dreaming Again: Thirty-five New Stories Celebrating the Wild Side of Australian Fiction
  • Gods of Jade and Shadow
  • Destiny of the Light (Shadow Through Time, #1)
  • Once Upon a Summer Night (Mists of Fate, #3)
  • The Testament of Loki (Loki, #2)
  • House of Mystery, Volume 8: Desolation
  • The Magic Mirror: Concerning a Lonely Princess, a Foundling Girl, a Scheming King and a Pickpocket Squirrel
  • Book of Iron
  • The Spirit Photographer
  • Void Black Shadow (Voidwitch Saga, #2)
  • The Waking Land (The Waking Land, #1)
  • Kill the Farm Boy (The Tales of Pell, #1)
  • Rachel Rising, Volume 5: Night Cometh
  • Jack of Ravens (Kingdom of the Serpent, #1)
  • The Bloodbound (Bloodbound, #1)
  • Doctor Who: The Eye of the Jungle
Also writes under the name of Kimberley Freeman.

Blood and Gold (3 books)
  • Sisters of the Fire (Blood and Gold, #2)
  • Queens of the Sea (Blood and Gold #3)
“what a grumbling storm she had invoked. And yet it was done. Now he had to be man enough to walk into this storm, and emerge as Almissia’s king.” 0 likes