Start by marking “The Rhubarb Patch (Men of Gilead, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Rhubarb Patch (Men of Gilead, #1)

The Rhubarb Patch (Men of Gilead #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  59 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
City boy, sci-fi novelist, and recovering pushover Scott Howe doesn’t know what to expect when he inherits his grandmother’s house outside the quaint village of Gilead, Ohio—but it isn’t an enormous bald man in nothing but tighty-whities and orange rubber boots shouting at him to keep his weed whacker away from the rhubarb patch.

Scott has never met anyone like Phineas Robe
Published July 24th 2017 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about The Rhubarb Patch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rhubarb Patch

R * A Reader Obsessed *
3.5 Hearts!

When I read the blurb, I thought to myself, this just might be some good comfort reading involving second chances at life and love, and overall I wasn’t wrong.

Scott is a people pleaser. So much so, he’s sacrificed his happiness over and over in basically all of his relationships. In an effort to perhaps reinvent himself and start anew, he totally takes advantage of his surprising windfall - he’s inherited a house from his paternal grandma whom he hasn’t heard from since he was a child
Karen
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Let's talk about rhubarb...

Yeah, let's start with rhubarb because that's where this story really begins. I'm a country girl so needless to say I'm familiar with rhubarb and country life in general. Which was part of the appeal this book held for me.

When Scott Howe inherits a house in the country from his estranged grandmother, he's not really sure what to expect but he takes this as his opportunity for time and chance to allow him to make the changes in himself that he needs to make if he's ev
Jenny Wood
Sigh…. Phin and Scott…

What a slow burning, emotional read this was. I loved every second of it!

(Okay, I loved almost every second of it… you will not like Scott’s mom or her homophobic boyfriend) I hesitate to bring it up, because it was such a small piece and had no real relevance to the story. But any woman who takes the side of her boyfriend, over her son… is just garbage to me. I have two kids, both boys… let anyone call them “fags” or treat them the way she allowed Joe to treat him and hi
Levi
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-s, mm-romance
Full review at :

OptimuMM - Home of MM Book Reviews
description

Well…

The Rhubarb Patch has everything I dislike in a book, like literally everything. When I thought that there is nothing that is going to go wrong, bam! There was another thing I didn’t like.

So you may ask, why the high rating?

Just because I don’t like stuff like Mpreg (although is not actually part of the plot, Scott one of the MCs, is an MM novelist who writes about Mpreg-Sci Fi’s) or Republicans who are pro-guns (the other MC, Phineas, Phin)
Ashley
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Definitely one of the slower books I've read recently. However it fits in with the location of the story. I love learning about the details of the characters' lives. I found myself thoroughly enjoying this slice of life romance. There is a little Rama that happens more so towards the end but overall it's a sweet romance.

I received an arc of this book and am voluntarily reviewing.
Wax
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, borrowed
I like these getting-to-know-you reads. I love when people start out as friends and then become more. I did take away one star because of issues with characters. I like that the author tried to show that a person may seem different to different people. But Scott's mother, as loving as she is to him and Davis, was honestly a bit too much for me.
The Novel Approach Reviews
I could not resist this cover, you guys. It’s so eye-catching and lovely, and after reading the book, it’s even lovelier. I was also sucked in by the blurb—which is one of the better written blurbs I’ve read recently. Great cover…promising premise…I was pretty pumped to start The Rhubarb Patch. And, as if those things weren’t enough, there was this excellent opening!
“What the…?”

A big, bald man in nothing but orange rubber boots and tighty-whities streaked across the yard toward Scott Howe, wavin
Denise Shirley carter
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was actually my first Deanna Wadsworth read, and I didn't realize it until midway through the book. I'd been following her on twitter, etc for a while, but for whatever reason hadn't quite gotten to read one yet, so I was excited to read this one.

I definitely had mixed emotions with this book. I loved the storyline. Scott moving to the tiny village of Gilead, Ohio to start his life over after inheriting his, previously unknown to him, grandmother's house. With that idea, he needed to work
Les Joseph
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
*3.5 stars*

If you're a fan of the opposites attract trope--and really, who isn't?--then you're definitely going to want to check out The Rhubarb Patch by Deanna Wadsworth. Two neighbors, one a city boy who suddenly finds himself in the middle of the country, the other a farmer who likes his solitude, find out sometimes even the most unlikely of people can make a connection. At first glance, Scott and Phineas (what a FABULOUS name!) might not seem like they fit, but they sure will make a believe
Joyfully Jay
Shelves: kris
A Joyfully Jay review.

I’ll be honest and say that this is not a book that I would have normally picked, based on the blurb alone. But there was something about it that intrigued me, so I took a chance. And while I have some mixed feelings about a couple of the plot points, I’m glad I picked it up.

So right off the bat, these guys are a study in opposites. Country and city. But as we get to know the characters, we see it goes even deeper. Scott is a moderately popular author who has no
Mari Cardenas ~ Bayou Book Junkie
4.5 Stars!!!

Scott Howe moves to Gilead, Ohio after inheriting his grandma's house. He's a city boy through and through, a sci-fi author and has decided to stay single for at least a year after his last disastrous relationship. The last thing he expects is to be attracted to his quirky neighbor, who couldn't be more different from Scott if he tried. Phin is a country man, happy to tend to his garden and his aging dog, Sister Mary Katherine. He's not looking for a relationship since he's still kin
Beyond The Covers Blog
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed for My Timeout Book Blog by Sarah.

This book has been something so unexpected and not what I expected at all. It deals with grief, pain and family strife along with hate, and of course hot sex between two hot men.
When I first selected this book up seeing it was a M/M book I thought it would be filled with nothing but attraction and sex between the characters but I found so much more in this book. I found such a strong plot filled with some complex topics. From a grieving neighbor to a gr
Tyra Berger
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
The Rhubarb Patch is the first book in a new series from Deanna Wadsworth, I went into this book thinking it was going to be a cute May-December romance, and it was, but it was also so much more.

This book comes out of the gate with lighthearted fun but quickly becomes more serious. I experienced the gamut of emotions reading this book. I literally laughed, cried, got pissed and went awww while reading. Both MC's are strong characters but they are both flawed and dealing with some very significan
Melanie
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review

rating 4 stars out of 5

For the Full review visit http://wp.me/p220KL-bfD

From that review: " I loved The Rhubarb Patch (Men of Gilead #1) by Deanna Wadsworth.  As a fan of the 'slow burn' and a narrative paced according to the storyline, this book sang to me like a katydid on a summer country night.  It was sweet, realistic, heartwarming, and loving.  Wadsworth has given us a beautifully written story full of characters with heart, dealing with loss, hom
Caroline
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I did enjoy the plot and the main characters in this book but found the story very slow to get going. I had difficult pushing out it was worth it, the story gets better with every chapter. There are some extremely funny sections, including the first chapter.

This is a second chance love story, it is Scotty and Phin's story. Scotty is an author of science fiction gay romance and Phone is a semi-retired Financier. They are neighbours, both ending up in the country for different reasons, Scotty is s
Marie Pedrick
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Though not the type of book I'd normally read I really enjoyed this story. It's simple love story rings true in the heart of any old romantic like me, it's an up to date concept of the kind of romance every good girl wants with the steamy sex scenes for those that are naughty at heart.
Having never read M/M romance I wasn't sure if I would be able to follow it the way I would a M/F romance but the story is so engrossing and the characters so lovable it never once posed a problem. If you love old
Meggie
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: family, drama, romance
I'm not sure what was rubbing me wrong in the storyline of The Rhubarb Patch. Both male characters Scott and Phineas, were fine characters. Each one had his story to tell and at the end they even fell in love. But somehow it was an empty story. I missed something special or more developing secondary plot. Anyway, a good light romance.
Dani Elle Maas
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have to say i liked this story
glad to have read it and am looking forward to the new one
Kimmers of Kimmers' Erotic Book Banter
I don’t know how I’ve not managed to discover Deanna Wadsworth’s writing before now… And honestly my review is way overdue. I read The Rhubarb Patch, the first in Deanna’s Men of Gilead series, at its release but emotional events in the book happened to coincide with the same exact occurrence in my life and prevented me from expressing my thoughts. For that I am sorry because this story is worth every moment spent between the pages.

Who wouldn’t be sold by this blurb? Believe me, it lives up to
Didi

The Rhubarb Patch is the first entry to Deanna Wadsworth's new Men of Gilead series. The story is set in Gilead, Ohio and pretty much brought up current issues - such as US new president, gun control, mass-shooting, and the over-sharing of life on social media - among the conversations. To me it made the characters look more real and engaging as they discussed something familiar.

Scott Howe is a sci-fi author in a rut. He also recently broke up with his cheating boyfriend. When he inher
Mel
Jun 09, 2018
Carrie
Jul 27, 2017
Michael
Five Stars.

City mouse meets his country mouse soulmate after inheriting his estranged Grandma's house in small town Ohio. If you like a sweet romance without a lot of angst (it's not all smooth sailing but it's not soul crushing either). I highly recommend.
Maria
May 17, 2018
Laura ~Passion flower
Jun 27, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: mm-romance, arc
The Rhubarb Patch (ARC) was graciously provided to me by Gay Book Reviews for an honest review. Review to follow.
Ivy
Jan 20, 2018
Mario Lucca
Feb 20, 2018
Elle
Jul 28, 2017
Bestselling erotica author Deanna Wadsworth leads a pretty vanilla life in Ohio with her hubby of 15 years and three demanding little dogs. She has a fascination with the exotic and taboo but her love of love in all its stages and incarnations motivate her to write Romance with Spice and Love without Boundaries.
More about Deanna Wadsworth

Men of Gilead (2 books)
  • La Famiglia (The Men of Gilead, #2)
“I know you just want to keep me safe. But keeping me safe and making me feel safe don't have to be two different things.” 0 likes