Start by marking “The Boys Next Door (The Boys Next Door, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Boys Next Door (The Boys Next Door, #1)

The Boys Next Door

(The Boys Next Door #1)

Cute, available, and one cabin over....

Lori lives for summertime on the lake. She spends all season wakeboarding, swimming, and hanging with her friends—including the two hotties in the house next door. With the Vader brothers, Lori's always been one of the guys.

But while Lori and the "baby" brother, Adam, are inseparable friends, she can't deny a secret crush on Sean, th
Published June 26th 2007 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about The Boys Next Door, please sign up.
Caro yes, I've only read the summer series, haven't read these one, I would say this is a copy cat version, but it was published first... still I'm quite l…moreyes, I've only read the summer series, haven't read these one, I would say this is a copy cat version, but it was published first... still I'm quite loyal to the summer I turned pretty(less)

Start your review of The Boys Next Door (The Boys Next Door, #1)
Melannie :)
Sep 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing

Slowly but surely, I've come to love Jennifer Echols books.
It's just that she has this writing style, so carefree and fearless and teenagery.
I only know another author that writes teenagers this real, and that's Queen Meg Cabot,
so it makes me happy there's someone out there who portrays teenagers as real as they come.

This book didn't let me down.

I've wanted this book ever since I read the summary a looong time ago on Amazon.
It sounded fun, and summery and had the extra awesome factor that I l
Aug 05, 2011 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

The Boys Next Door by Jennifer Echols has TWO of my favorite plot devices. Two!

1. Love for the boy next door, which is one of my biggest weaknesses! The heartbreaking, sweet idea of seeing someone everyday that you have the biggest crush on just makes my heart ache with love and anticipation! Plus if you haven’t guessed already—once upon a time, the boy next door stole my heart. :D

2. The pretending you are a couple scheme! The shenanigans and aching hearts that go along with this ruse
Emily
Apr 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
I don't know if it's just me, but periodically throughout the book, I had trouble understanding many of the sentences and was confused about why they were there/ what purpose they served within the context surrounding them...

Also, I felt like the ADHD/ADD was sort of just thrown in there just to make a point/ just to be there.

And why exactly was Lori sooo self-bashing and dumb? Why would she think she wanted to be with Sean who is a jerk?

When I decided to read this book for whatever reason, I d
Ana Vizentim
3 cute stars

It was cute!!!!

I liked Adam a lot!!!!
And Lori is a tipical sixteen teenager!!!!
I liked the lake background!!!

description
Laurence R.
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Need an adorable book? Here you go!

This novel is sweet, funny and light-hearted, which we all know is something we crave for once in a while. It's predictable, but mostly because that's the way we want it to end, too. The only thing that really made me cringe was the ending, because it's too cheesy, even for me, which is something you won't here me say often. However, I still loved reading this novel and I'm convinced Jennifer Echols is one of the best cheesy writers out there - in a good way.

I
Adele
Mar 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
I bought this book based upon an older review of Steph's and that one of my podcast listeners had recommended Echols as someone to check out. I'll admit right here that I am a bit of a softie when it comes to romantic comedy storylines that don't insult the intelligence. This is one of those and now I have to figure out where to get more. Echols is the YA equivalent of crack (except without all the obvious pitfalls).

I loved the protagonist's voice, Lori is the inner dialogue that runs through ev
Tough Critic Book Reviews
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
ROMANCE OR WHAT??

This may be my favorite Jennifer Echol's book! If you think this is going to be just another typical summer romance, think again. I was swept away into Lori's world from the beginning.

Lori lives next door to the Vader brothers. She's always wanted nothing more than to be just one of the guys; she dresses the part, acts the part. But this summer being just one of the guys is the last thing on Lori's mind. She is head over hills in love with "the boy next door"; one of them at le
Genesis
Jan 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NO ONE
Recommended to Genesis by: goodreads
Okay so when Lori wanted Sean that was understandable in the beginning, although it got pretty stupid when Sean was smacking lips with Adams girlfriend by this time I knew Sean never liked Lori. As I read the story more I thought "Well maybe it'll get better" I was wrong at least in my perspective....anyways there was some good things I read such as the fact I thought it was cute how she wanted show her crush she was not just like the other guys and that she wanted to be treated and seen as a gi ...more
Lolita
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-ereader
This book is a great example of how a book with simple writing can still be extraordinary.

You don't always need complicated storylines, strange character names, fantasy elements and insta-love, to write a great book.

Don't get me wrong, this definitely was not a masterpiece in any way, but every single character seemed real and had it's own voice and story.

Both Lori and Adam felt like real teenagers, acted like them, talked like them and most importantly thought like them.

There were several s
Kristen
(Re-read)
Is it cheesy? Yes.
Is the plot occasionally a bit too ridiculous to be fully believable? Yes.
Is the main character frustrating? Yes.
But good lord is it an endearing, cute read. It's silly. It's ridiculous. But every time I pick it up, I can't put it down. I reread this book in a single sitting and enjoyed every single second.

Side note: I've never read the sequel, but I have the ebook of the bind-up, so I might continue on to it. That being said, I tend to consider this a standalone. So
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
I won this book in a giveaway ages ago. It is actually a set of two books: The Boys Next Door and Endless Summer. Just so's you know, I would not actually purchase a book with the title, "The Boys Next Door." I don't generally go for books in which the central conflict is whether a fella is interested or not! A book should be able to survive without love interests.

However, I was looking for something light to read in my garden on a sunny day...

The book was okay, but it really was just about a
Steph Su
Apr 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: guilty-pleasure
The more I read Jennifer Echols, the more I’m convinced she can do no wrong in terms of fun and fast romantic comedy reads. All of the characters in this book are realistic yet quirky, endearing and fun. Adam, in particular, is my favorite, because he is not simply the perfect crush, the perfect boyfriend. Instead, he is wonderfully three-dimensional, ADD and a little spastic and a daredevil to the point of physical harm. In short, he is a giant, sweet nerd inside a hot body. Who can resist that ...more
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
I enjoyed this book but I can't say that this is my favorite Jennifer Echols book ever. That would be Forget You. Even though I love Going Too Far Forget You was much more fun.
The Boy Next Door was a book you should definitely pick up in the summer.
Maggie Moritz
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.75 stars... This book was sooo cute! The love triangle wow! I love Adam so much! The whole book I wanted to yell at Lori that she wanted the wrong brother!!! This book gave me butterflies oh I just loved it!
Peaches Tiu
Nov 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
shallow plot. bad writing.
Sam! at the bookstore
Rating: 2 stars

Eh. An overall fun read, but short and suuuuper predictable.
Zethu
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Classic story combining young love and coming of age. As always with books outside my genres of interest a friend recommended it to and I can honestly say I'm glad she did. It's light hearted and fun, don't expect a serious and thought provoking depiction of its themes. Some might struggle with Lori and her almost Disney-esque thought process and ideas and the predictability of the ending but at the end of the day you want it to happen and that's where the charm is. Sweat and cheesy a good summe ...more
♫✯Em loves Hollenstein✯♫❤the summertime and butterflies all belong to your creation❤
wtf they're fighting over a lifesaver and she's just like sitting there...
shes all "ooh look at me preening for the cover ooh"

update-
on second thought the guys look like they are flirting with each other
Ari
Jun 27, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned

Image source
Glass
Best make out scene ever!!!;)
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
At first I wasn’t sure about this book as I found it a little boring at times. But once I finally got into it I really enjoyed it. Lori has only got eyes for Sean her next door neighbor however he’s not interested in her. His brother Adam is more interested in Lori and they both decide to start a fake relationship to win over Sean and Adams ex Rachel. Only things don’t always work out as they seem.
Hamna
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
No idea why I read this book except maybe to see how far the hilarity and ridiculousness went.
I think it's enough to say that it went far past the logical constraints of the situations the teenagers were in, but hey, they were teenagers, so I guess that was excuse enough for the extra dramatics.
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
Lori is a tomboy who spends her summers on the lake with her brother and their friends. The problem is they are all boys and Lori wants them to notice her this summer, because of her long-time crush on Sean Vader. Adam, the younger Vader brother, is her best friend and getting Sean's attention isn't going to be as drama free as she thought. Lori has a hard time navigating between the role of Adam's best friend and Sean's wanna-be girlfriend. The Boys Next Door by Jennifer Echols is a fun read th ...more
Chelsea
So the number one rule in college is when a report is due the next day and you have to pull an all nighter, read cute books.

I didn't make the rule, I am just a follower.

So naturally after slaving for hours over a subject I really don't give a fart about, I decided to take a break. Er a three hour break.

Thankfully over winter break I had bought a bunch of cheap books to entertain me during these type of crisis. I am happy to say that this book was worth the dollar I paid.

We start off meeting
Misty
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, reviewed
Adam Vader or what?

I absolutely LOVED this book! I read it in one day; I could NOT put it down! We hear the story from Lori's mind, and it just flows so smoothly. It was really fun being inside her mind. I could very easily imagine everything that was happening.

There are two aspects of this book that just absolutely excelled - the setting and the characters!

Lori lives on a lake next door to the Vaders, a family with three sons. She spent her childhood hanging out with them and her brother, bein
Emily
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am such a sucker for "boy next door" or "older brother's best friend" romance plots. I DON'T KNOW WHY. I just think they are so sweet. I also love tomboy-turned-love-interest characters. Well lucky me, this book has pretty much all of that awesome. Not only does it employ some of my favorite plot elements, but the characters are actually REALLY likeable! There were a lot of parts in this book where I was shamelessly LOL-ing (Fanny the Nanny? Butt I don't need a governess? Come on. Golden.)

I've
Sky Hammond
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This trimester I chose to read the book The Boys Next Door by Jennifer Echols. The story is about a girl named Lori McGillicuddy who spends her summer living at her house on the lake. She spends a lot of time wakeboarding and is very skilled at it. She works at the Vander Marina all summer, where she works with her two next door neighboors Sean and Adam Vander. Cameron and her brother, who they call McGillicuddy, also work at the Marina. They all seem to get along very well and Lori fits in just ...more
Belle
May 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sara ♥
Aug 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
I finished this book in the WEE hours of the morning. (Like 4 am...) It was REALLY cute! I was a little worried in the beginning when she's having trouble knowing which brother is which without looking for Adam's necklace... I mean, she's known these guys since she was like 4 years old... How could she not know which was which? I have two guys friends who are identical twins and after knowing them for about 6 months, I could tell who was who from the backs of their heads, you know? (Okay... mayb ...more
Pilar Marin
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this book, it was different to other books that I've read of the same genre, in which romance happens during unrealistic situations, while in this story they were pretty real. I like the protagonist, Lori, her actions made me remember those times in which I was 16 and I did a lot of immature things. In many scenes of the book I felt embarrassed while reading what Lori was doing or scheming,

but I remembered that at her age I did similar things....

• Megan Meade's Guide to the McGowan Boys
  • Two-Way Street
  • The Boyfriend League
  • Catching Jordan
  • When It Happens
  • Drive Me Crazy
  • Defending Taylor
  • The Book of Luke
  • The Fine Art of Pretending (The Fine Art of Pretending, #1)
  • Coming Up for Air
  • Magnolia (Magnolia Branch, #1)
  • Take Me There
  • Shuffle, Repeat
  • The Boyfriend Thief (Stolen Kiss, #1)
  • Meet Me at Midnight
  • The Summer I Turned Pretty Trilogy: The Summer I Turned Pretty; It's Not Summer Without You; We'll Always Have Summer
  • Four Doors Down
  • Racing Savannah
Jennifer Echols was born in Atlanta and grew up in a small town on a beautiful lake in Alabama—a setting that has inspired many of her books. She has written nine romantic novels for young adults, including the comedy MAJOR CRUSH, which won the National Readers’ Choice Award, and the drama GOING TOO FAR, which was a finalist in the RITA, the National Readers’ Choice Award, and the Book Buyer’s Bes ...more

The Boys Next Door (2 books)
  • Endless Summer (The Boys Next Door, #1-2)

News & Interviews

“AOAN LOVES LOKI.” 40 likes
“Adam blinked and turned to Sean. “Bikini or what?”
Sean still stared at my boobs. Slowly he brought his strange pale eyes up to meet my eyes. “This does a lot for you,” he said, gesturing to the bikini with the hand flourish of Clinton from What Not to Wear. Surely this was my imagination. He didn’t really know I’d been studying how to be a girl for the past year!
“Sean,” I said without missing a beat, “I do a lot for the bikini.”
Cameron snorted and shoved Sean. Adam shoved him in the other direction. Sean smiled and seemed perplexed, like he was trying to think of a comeback but couldn’t, for once.”
1 likes