Start by marking “Knee Deep in Paradise” as Want to Read:
Knee Deep in Paradise

Knee Deep in Paradise

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  308 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
The star of the popular ABC-TV series Grace Under Fire recounts her childhood in the South as the daughter of an absent, alcoholic father, her experience with domestic abuse, and her start as a comedienne.
Published May 2nd 1996 by Hyperion Books (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Knee Deep in Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knee Deep in Paradise

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Glass Castle by Jeannette WallsI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertPersepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Memoirs by Women
1,997 books — 2,333 voters
Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka BruntAll the Light We Cannot See by Anthony DoerrEverything I Never Told You by Celeste NgThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
By the title
168 books — 42 voters

More lists with this book...

ReGina Welling
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all time favorite memoirs. Painfully honest, sensitive but strong and deliciously flawed, Butler speaks with immense vulnerability as she tells her story.

I've never written a fan letter, but for this book, I might be tempted.
Valissa
Oct 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I threw my virginity out of the speeding car that was my life"
Shani
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book quite a bit. She didn't say much about being part of Grace Under Fire but I guess that it doesn't really pertain to the story she was telling about her life. I only somewhat knew what her life was like before she became famous. She's come a long way and worked really hard to be who she is now.

I was fortunate enough to meet Brett about 7 years ago and she was one of the sweetest and nicest celebrities I've ever met. I met her when she was staying at the hotel I was working at
Em
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The gal can write!! I hope one day she tackles a work of fiction. I connected to her story right away. As I am in the process of coming to terms with my own addiction I could related to the feelings she had about her alcoholism. And even though my father stayed with the family, I felt I understood, because though my father was physically present during my youth, he felt emotionally distant and offered a connection only on his terms which was hard for me to do. When I got to the passage she wrote ...more
Leslie
Jul 29, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Brett Butler fans
I enjoyed this book because I have always enjoyed Brett Butler's stand-up. I thought it was interesting that she was raised in Tuskegee, a primarily black town (but was born in Montgomery about 40 miles down the road). Now that I live about 20 miles from Tuskegee, it makes it kind of cool. I always like reading about Alabama people and comedians, so this was a win-win for me. I don't remember a whole lot about the book, other than I liked it.
Mike
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book in between two epic WW2 books that i needed a break from. i enjoyed this memoir a lot. This was a great and concisely written memoir. She didn't harbor on a single event in her life, but rather mentioned and explained the interesting bits. Knowing hardly anything about Brett I was rather impressed by how well she wrote.
Lisa James
Aug 09, 2014 rated it liked it
This autobio by Brett herself is a pretty powerful read. It's FULL of the horrors she went through, the abuse she suffered at the hands of her first husband, & it turns out her Mom was also battered, the girls just didn't SEE it, & her search for family answers about the father she never really knew well.
Theadra
Mar 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I have bought this book twice. I'd loaned it and it wasn't returned. Butler is a really great writer and I wish she'd write something again. I think this book is as good as any southern gothic novel I've read.
Jess
Oct 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
A friend just returned this book to me, which I estimate I read & loaned to him in about 1997! I'd completely forgotten about it, but when I got it back, I remember being impressed with Ms. Butler's writing style & her seemingly objective look at her own life.
Rae
Apr 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bio-memoir
An uncommonly well-written celebrity bio from the television star and stand-up comic Brett Butler. She has battled drug and alchohol abuse, suffered through an abusive marriage, and continues to heal from her dysfunctional Southern family environment.
Hallie Huffman
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny
This book came at just the right time in my life. Anyone living under the tyranny of their spouse will recognize themselves in this book, and if you are a hick (like me) it just might be disturbing how much you can actually relate!
Diane Wachter
Knee Deep In Paradise, Brett Butler, Audio Bk-B, @ 1996, 4/02. Autobiography, a memoir of survival, comedienne relates her life of childhood abuse, domestic abuse, addiction, and survival. Very good.
Etienne
this book is really great found it hard to put down
Rhonda
Jul 19, 2008 rated it liked it
This was good. Not a, "I can't put this down type of book", but decent.
Brian Gryphon
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this as a hardcover shortly after it came out...recently found her on Twitter. Seems she still acts a bit but has also developed her spiritual side.
Meen
I got this one before I got sober, but after Peg got sober, so it was a little uncomfortable reading about Brett Butler's alcoholism and recovery... I was still in denial, of course.
Coleen
Mar 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
I never was intrested in Brett Butles, but her story is a good one.
Elizabeth
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was ok
Her life was hard, but that's no excuse.

BTW, that's just a joke. I have nothing personally against Brett or her book.
Stephanie Snyder
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
such a sad story.
Linda
Nov 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Heard her discuss this on a talk show and found her story to be interesting; although, I hadn't been a fan.
Stephanie
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book.
I wish there was second book to see where she is now.
Gail Stocker
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The very talented Brett Butler writes a memoir worth reading. I particularly enjoyed her description of the comedy scene on the east coast.
Jamie
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I liked it a lot more than I thought that I would. It's a little repetitive and long in some parts but it is a good read. She got brownie points for the Shirley Temple reference in there too. :)
Melissa
Nov 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Got this one at a dollar store. Another one of the comedian/sitcom star/authors of the 90s. It's a miracle of the human condition, the connection between laughter and tears, heartbreak and humor.
Mary Montgomery
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the most interesting, compelling, intelligent and well-written books I've read.
Kaethe
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I quite like Brett Butler and her comedic persona. She's funny. If you're looking for a celebrity memoir of alcoholism and sobering up, you could no doubt read something much worse.
Michael Nalbone
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was darker than expected, but made me realize what do I have to complain about?
Lynne
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
loved this book...she's a very funny lady who has lived a difficult life....and managed to come out on top
Crista
Jul 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This incredible woman has been through A LOT!
Dean