Start by marking “Star by Star (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #9)” as Want to Read:
Star by Star (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #9)

Star by Star (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order #9)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  7,694 Ratings  ·  117 Reviews
The New York Times bestselling Star Wars series The New Jedi Order enthralls readers with its epic drama and thrilling adventure. Now readers will pierce the very heart of darkness...

It is a solemn time for the New Republic, as the merciless Yuuzhan Vong continue their campaign of destruction. The brutal enemy has unleashed a savage creature capable of finding—and killin
Published October 3rd 2002 by Arrow (first published October 30th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Star by Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star by Star

Crystal Starr Light
Jul 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Action, Characters, and Higher Stakes - This has it all

The Yuuzhan Vong have developed a newer, more fierce weapon against the Jedi: the voxyn, made from vornskyrs and able to "sniff" out and kill Jedi. Luke Skywalker approves Anakin, Jaina, Jacen, and their friends to hunt out the Queen, from which all others are cloned, and kill her. Meanwhile, Coruscant is close to being overrun.

NOTE: Based on audiobook and novel.

Let me get this off my chest right now. If I were just rating the audiobook, I w
Scott Rhee
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
****The following review contains spoilers, so if you haven’t read this book yet, and you want to, I highly recommend skipping this review. You’ve been forewarned.****

I just recently learned about the so-called “Star Wars” canon, and I’m not sure how I feel about it.

A part of me thinks: whatever. I appreciate director J.J. Abrams’s desire to take the Star Wars franchise in a completely new direction, and I’m confident that whatever direction Abrams chooses to take the franchise will be a fascina
Jesse
Feb 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, starwars
The new Jedi order completely outpaces anything in the Starwars genre. This series was Dark, exciting, fast paced, and inspired. The writing was fantastic and the level of philosophy and force history was unparalleled. If your a fan at any level of the Starwars Universe than this series is a must read. It is on my top 5 of all time for a series and I treasured every moment I spent in that time. But beware, this isn't your typical Starwars book, be ready for a level of intensity that you've never ...more
Mark
I think this is the single darkest Star Wars book that I ever read. It's strange to say, but it captured the mood of the world at the time it was released. With a late October 2001 release, this was the first post-9/11 SW book - and it's interesting in how it reflected the mood since its manuscript was turned in months before 9/11 ever happened.

One thing that happens in the course of an invasion of Coruscant (which invasion was plainly inevitable after like the third NJO book) is that Yuuzhan Vo
Ivy
5 stars

Nice to see Lando, Han, Leia, Luke, Mara Jade, Jaina, Jacen, and Anakin. Also nice that Lando got married.

Can't wait to read more Star Wars books!!!!
Darth
Oct 09, 2010 rated it liked it
David
Nov 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
This book was very much hit and miss for me.. It is almost as if Denning could not decide whether he wanted it to be about Space combat or a commando Jedi mission. Therefore, the book begins to exhibit s split personality. In addition, the conclusion of the book is very dark, leaving the reader feeling discouraged, much like the viewers at the conclusion of The Empire Strike Back.

The book just went on and on and on.. There was a great deal of powerful action, but after awhile it begins to feel
Kimberly
Apr 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ley
Feb 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Brendan
I felt this book was too long. More than anything, the book was cluttered by battle scenes, both in space and on the ground. The descriptions of these battles soon grew tedious and I feel that the story gained little for them. While it did add a lot of drama to the Yuzhan Vong war, this was probably one of my least favorite of the New Jedi Order series so far.
M Hamed
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, star-wars
Oh, dance in the dark of night, Sing to the morning light.
The dark Lord rides in force tonight, And time will tell us all.

Darryl Dobbs
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jacqueline O.
Jonathan Nonnemacher
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: new-jedi-order
I was kind of amazed to see this book hold a 3.92 average rating.

I was very disappointed in this book. Clocking in at just over 600 pages, I thought Denning should have either split this book into two volumes, or just had an editor cut about 200 pages.

I knew where this book was heading the entire time, I just wished the plot got there faster. There are WAY too many minor characters to keep track of, so I ended up just remembering a detail about them to keep them straight. Tahiri = hot for Anaki
Caroline
Mogsy (MMOGC)
In my opinion the best-written NJO book in the series so far, and also longer and more in depth. Star by Star is an important installment in that it is a turning point of the series.

This book focuses on the tale of the Myrkr strike team, the group of young Jedi led by Apprentice Anakin Solo, who infiltrated the Yuuzhan Vong in order to destroy the voxyn queen. While scores of Jedi and New Republic characters have already died over the course of the Yuuzhan Vong war, there's something a lot dark
Denae Christine
Mar 25, 2009 rated it did not like it
In risking spoiling something for those who haven't read this book, I don't like it when main characters die. Young main characters, that is. More than a dozen named Jedi died in this book, but it was going so well. It was awesome, and they were doing fine (mostly, besides all the Jedi dying), until the main character died at the end around page 600. I loved the story and writing style and danger and exploits until then. TD had no right to kill HIM off. A heroic way to die, to be sure.

EDIT: I'm
Clint Link
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite Star Wars books. (Spoilers) when Anakin becomes an ultimate Jedi or whatever fighting those Vong dogs I was on the edge of my seat. It is an epic battle.
Mark Oppenlander
The New Jedi Order series grinds on with this 600+ page slog. There are two primary plotlines that run in parallel. In the first, Anakin volunteers to lead a Jedi strike team on a covert commando mission to a Yuuzhan Vong worldship to destroy the source of the voxyn, a threat specifically aimed at the Jedi. In the other storyline, Leia, Luke, Han and Mara must ready themselves, as the invaders appear to be preparing a strike on Coruscant itself.

The book has two major and interrelated flaws. The
Ben Briles
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One thing I've noticed about Troy Denning's writing is that it gets a bit muddy at times, but that could totally just be me. That being said, this book was phenomenal. I know opinions on the NJO and the Yuuzhan Vong are split, but I'm loving all of it, and I'm really hoping that this book signifies the darkest point of this series. If it gets worse, I don't know if my feelings can handle it.
Wade Schacht
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book, but so many Jedi are killed by voxyn, and then the queen doesn't even put up a fight. HMmmmm.
Jaime Krause
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I hate this book.

When I went to reread the NJO years ago (likely prior to 2010, I slowed down and couldn't even finish this book. It utterly depresses me.

I forgot though the new and recurring characters: Alema Rar, Raynar Thul, Tekli, Saba & Tesar Sebatyne, ZEKK, Eryl Besa, and Jovan Drark.
We are in for a wild ride.

Jaina and Jacen are 19, showing the time lapse from the previous book.
We see how close to the Dark Side Alema Rar had been, even before the events of this book.
I almost think it'
Daniel
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is by far the heftiest volume yet in the New Jedi Order series, and anyone that is intimately familiar with my reading habits will know that I love giant books. Obviously only when they're written well, and this one is very much so.

Star by Star chronicles the darkest portion yet of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, and thus plays out similarly to how The Empire Strikes Back did for the original trilogy. There's been defeat before (lots of repeated defeat, which was getting a little obnoxious, actu
John Petrella
Nov 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Justin
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oh man, I did not see this one coming at all. Sure, after Chewbacca's death in Vector Prime (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, Book 1) I knew that nobody was really safe, but all the same I thought there were a few characters that were definitely going to make it through the other side. Star By Star sure proved me wrong. I'm not ashamed to admit that the death in this book, as well as the reactions to that death, brought tears to my eyes.

This is such an important book in the New Jedi Order series f
Tyler
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jim C
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is part of a large series that takes place in the expanded universe. This is not a stand alone novel and one should read the previous novels to understand this book. The war with the Yuuzhan Vong wages on and they have a new weapon that can locate Jedi. To find the source of this new weapon Anakin leads a mission into Vong territory and he is accompanied by his brother and sister. Meanwhile, the Vong is pressing their position in the universe as they seek control.

This book is rather le
Johnny
May 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: David Wilson
Recommended to Johnny by: Dave Gross
This book is an exquisite tapestry of all that we've come to expect from the best in Star Wars mythos. It has ruthless politics replete with irrational prejudice, self-serving motivation, and idealistic (jingoistic) rhetoric (propaganda?). It has stirring battle accounts with new Jedi tactics in ship-to-ship combat (the so-called "shadow bombs" used on the Yuuzhan Vong and the "battle meld" where fighters leapfrog over each other to confuse the enemy), as well as great battle meld scenes in the ...more
Christine
Ryan
I went with an audiobook for this one. It may have been abridged - there was a storyline involving the Solo children, but that was about it. If it wasn't abridged, that's a bold storytelling choice - leaving out the old, recognizable characters in favour of the 'next generation' of Jedi. Basically, the Solos and a bunch of other young Jedi go on a raid to attack the Yuhzong Vong on their own turf. Everything seems to go farly well, until they are attacked by dark Jedi and Anakin dies! Right afte ...more
  • Destiny's Way (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #14)
  • The Unifying Force (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #19)
  • Traitor (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #13)
  • Rebel Dream (Enemy Lines, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #11)
  • Reunion (Force Heretic, #3) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #17)
  • Conquest (Edge of Victory, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #7)
  • Dark Journey (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #10)
  • Balance Point (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #6)
  • Ruin (Dark Tide, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #3)
  • Revelation (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, #8)
  • Vector Prime (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #1)

Star Wars: The New Jedi Order (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Vector Prime (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #1)
  • Onslaught (Dark Tide, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #2)
  • Ruin (Dark Tide, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #3)
  • Hero's Trial (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #4)
  • Jedi Eclipse (Agents of Chaos, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #5)
  • Balance Point (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #6)
  • Conquest (Edge of Victory, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #7)
  • Rebirth (Edge of Victory, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #8)
  • Dark Journey (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #10)
  • Rebel Dream (Enemy Lines, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #11)
“Jedi Masters do not crack up- they just get eccentric.- Luke Skywalker” 31 likes
“The New Republic? Are you blind? There is no New Republic! It died before the Yuuzhan Vong came!"
Leia Organa Solo”