Start by marking “Smitty's Sheriff (Hope, #3)” as Want to Read:
Smitty's Sheriff (Hope, #3)

Smitty's Sheriff (Hope #3)

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  487 Ratings  ·  116 Reviews
Todd is too flakey. Richard is too stubborn. Together, they're perfect. A May-December couple get a second chance at love.

Retired soldier Richard Davis wants a stable life in a quiet town with a forever man. Becoming the sheriff of Hope, Arizona, accomplishes two of his three goals, but instead of finding a serious partner, he falls for too-young-to-be-committed and too-f
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 117 pages
Published July 17th 2017 by The Romance Authors, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Smitty's Sheriff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smitty's Sheriff

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Smitty's Sheriff is told from the perspective of both MCs: Todd and Richard.

Todd is in his early-20s. He's young, flirty, and a little clueless. He's not good at taking control of his life, so for three years his older lover took care of him.

Then six months ago, Sheriff Richard walked away suddenly and without explanation. Todd misses Richard but isn't sure how to get him back.

Richard is nearly twenty years Todd's senior, and he's a man who likes to be in charge. He doesn't believe that Todd
Jewel
It is absolutely rare for a Cardeno C. book to not work for me. This would be one of those times, unfortunately. I hated this book and it pains me to say it.

I didn't like Richard, from the start. Even before I met Todd (whom I found rather annoying), I found Richard to be high-handed and elitist. He looked down on Todd because of his age and profession and I did not like it. It was clear, from reading Richard's own thoughts that he didn't respect Todd, at all.

"...letting folks know their new s
BWT (Belen)
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it

*Sighs* I love Ezekiel Robison, and his narration of this story is pitch perfect. He captures the characters so well, and even though I wanted to strangle Rich at first, I slowly began to like him by the end of the story.

In a lot of ways this is about miscommunication. The one thing Richard had wanted from Todd - commitment - was something he never actually discussed with him. Rich just assumed he knew what was best for Todd, because Todd is so much younger, and therefore couldn't possibly want
Kazza
Jul 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
 photo Potential-OTDU-Banner-9-Smaller2_zpsf0878d67.png

Boy, I struggled with this book. Richard infuriated me throughout. He was so condescending and conflicting in regards to his thoughts about Todd, who I have to admit also bothered me. For god's sake, think of yourself as someone worthy of the best people in your life, especially if that person is someone you want as a significant other. Todd needed to take some time to think about himself. He needed to like and believe in himself a lot more, he needed to be independently happy before jumping in
Debra
Originally reviewed at Sinfully.

This story starts off six months after Sheriff Richard Davis has basically ended all contact, without explanation, between himself and Todd Smitty, the man who had been his secret lover for the prior three years. The two men are about to be thrown back together as Todd’s sister, who is Richard’s best friend, is leaving her baby with them as she is being deployed. Smitty is thrilled at the idea of being able to reconnect with Richard after all his other attempts we
Catherine
Dammit! I had such high hopes for this book. I usually love - or at least solidly like - Cardeno C.'s books, but this one didn't work for me.

Todd is painted as young, 'flakey' (although I think that label is a little unfair given that he dropped everything and rearranged his life when his sister needed someone to look after his infant niece for three months), not that intelligent or capable, and naturally submissive.

Rich is older, responsible, and naturally dominant. Well, that's what we're to
Leaundra
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Not my favorite of the series. I never really warmed up to Richard and I wanted Todd to get a bit of a backbone. Also, they could have talked earlier...
Sanaa  ☆ Sanaa's Book Blog ☆
3 stars.

After sitting on my review for a bit, I had to change my rating by dropping the .5 to 3 stars. And the reason is basically because this story just did not work for me.

Richard was an a** most of the time and it was clear that he looked down on Todd throughout their entire relationship. And Todd. As much as I wanted to like him, it felt like he was to flighty. And a doormat.

As much as it pains me, this book was a total miss for me and I know that Cardeno is an amazing writer.

An arc w
Denise H.
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
***Hope, Arizona, where there is hope for everyone.
Richard left the service and became a Sheriff four years ago. I've read Jesse's Diner and McFarland's Farm, too, so I know the characters well. Richard and Todd dated but broke up. Now they are being thrown together by Todd's sister. She's in the Army, being sent for duty for three months. Richard, her friend from the Army, and her brother, Todd will be babysitting her 9 month old daughter. The first month the guys stay out of each other's way
Lelyana

It pained me to give only two starts for CC's book.
But what can I say? From the first time I read about Rich, I didn't like him. He's too judgmental for my taste and Todd on the other hand, a clueless, doormat and a cheater (three years as a booty call for Rich and he's sleeping with others too, not that i can blame him. Richard made him believe that it was just sex.).
I have no idea why did Todd can put up with Rich for so long. No communications for three years is a disaster, don't you think?
I
Amanda
Richard, the town Sheriff and Todd, the flighty young man seems to have a history that span three years of hooked up. But Richard put a brake into their non-relationship because he can't deal with Todd being a flighty youngster. I don't blame Richard at all, he seems to know what he wants and he thinks he can't get it with Todd. Absolutely fine with me.

Todd had been crushing hard on Richard and when he had an opportunity to stay at Richard's guesthouse for three months, he jumped at the chance.
Jenny Wood
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Book 3 in the Hope series, I have to say, it is hands down my favorite, and I really enjoyed Jesse’s Diner.

This one though, we have the hot sheriff that I feel like I’ve been waiting on forever, I knew it was going to be good. I was not prepared for how good it actually was! I should’ve been, shame on me!

In this one, we have Richard, once soldier, now Sheriff in the small town of Hope, he’s still smarting from a breakup with assumed playboy, Todd. Todd was also the little brother of Richards ar
Sandra
2.5 stars, rounded up because Goodreads still doesn't have half stars.

It pains me to no end to have to give such a low rating to a CC novel, but I hated Richard in this book, and the romance here was not what I expected.

I quite liked Todd, and I really wanted him to fall for someone not Richard, someone who deserved him, but I guess the heart wants what the heart wants.

Todd is in his early 20s, and six months ago, Richard, the town's sheriff, broke off their three year hidden relationship for no
Joanne Swinney
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing

SIGH…… Simply beautiful. Cardeno C always delivers a romantic story that touches your heart, along with some steamy sexual encounters that leave you pining for more.

This is book three in the Hope series and can be read as a standalone, but I highly recommend reading them all. They are too good not to read.

The story of Richard and Todd having a second chance at love. I don’t think they ever fell out of love. Their relationship they had in the past lacked serious communication which led to them
V
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
What a shame not my favorite book from this author.
Jordan
Jul 20, 2017 added it
3.5 stars for Cardeno C? Whaaaattt?

The story? 4.5 stars. Loved the plot, loved the supporting characters and all of the cute quirkyness of this entire situation, but the characters get a hard thumbs down from me. Rich was awful. He was so full of himself and judgemental, I just couldn't like him. Sometimes he made solid points, but other times I felt like he was just complaining for the sake of complaining. Total downer.

Todd was naieve. He was cute, and I liked him, but it frustrated me that he
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
ARC received for an honest review

Oy, it pains me to say it, but Smitty's Sheriff was a miss for me.

I have adored everything I have ready by Cardeno C to date, but this one just didn't do it for me.

I just couldn't with either of our MC's, Richard or Todd. I felt Richard to be very condescending, patronising and just downright unlikable.

Todd, whilst at times I really liked him, other times he felt very immature and whiney and childish. I thought at first it was the age difference that made me feel
Annie
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Of all the Hope series books, this is the one I was looking forward to the most. I love the May/December theme and the second chances theme (specifically second chance at love with the same person), so this one seemed right up my alley. Unfortunately, it didn't exactly live up to my (maybe too high) expectations.

There are about 20 years separating Rich and Todd. They spent three years together up until about six months before the start of this book. Rich thought Todd was immature and flaky and l
*~*~*Kael*~*~*
Aug 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Ref: 55% ...
I'm going to rant a bit. But I'll rant in bullets, so it's easier to follow :-P:
1. Todd, you're an idiot!! What do you mean he needs to tell you not to see other people?!!? I agree that if you didn't decide you were exclusive, you DO have the right to see other people. Which I understand is what happened. BUT, that's a conversation you need to have; you don't just let him think you don't want to be exclusive (even though you do), and then go out with other people because you had no o
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

Here’s one for everyone with Daddy kinks. Fate throws the stern town sheriff together with the playful young twink he’s never managed to forget. There’s a twenty year age gap between Rich and Todd but Todd is desperate to show Rich just how mature he can be.

Those who love a little Daddy play will probably enjoy this more than I did. Rich has rules and expectations and Todd works hard to please him. It’s an incredibly angsty and
Amazonaute
Jul 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
DNF at 54%, so I don't feel right about asking for a refund from amazon dammit.

I love a good may/December romance, but this wasn't. It was very uncomfortable reading. The older guy treats the younger one with complete disrespect on all levels. The younger one seems to have no sense of self, and keeps moulding himself to be the perfect Suzi homemaker for the older guy.

I loathe that trope in m/f novels, and hate it just as much in m/m. In fact many of the interactions were more irritable parent/
Len Evans Jr
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The author has once again taken a short (about 100 pages) book and still managed to develop a complete and totally satisfying story. Todd and Rich are so obviously perfect for each other that there were places in this story where I was practically shouting at my kindle for them to please just talk it out and fix things. Then I thought about some of the past situations I have been in and realized it was more than a bit hypocritical to think they were being stupid when I have been just as stupid a ...more
Elizabeth
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, m-m, 2017, 07-aug-utc
3-3.5 stars
Audiobook
Cute short story.
Bex 'n' Books
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This series so far has provided perfect easy reading and escapism. Smitty's Sheriff is no different.
With characters complete with flaws and unique character quirks, there's a lovely level of realism within the pages. It's that that helps keep this series fresh.
With good quality writing that flows well, is easy to digest and reads effortlessly, Cardeno C. is easily an author who I will happily return to for more.
Smitty's Sheriff focused on two very different characters. Not only is it a May to
Mercedes
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
3 incredibly frustrating stars

For about 80% of the book I thought both of these guys were idiots! If you hate books where the drama comes from a "Big Misunderstanding" skip this story.
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Note: This book was provided to me by the publisher through Hearts on Fire Reviews in exchange for an impartial review.

This story caught me off guard. I expected a sweet age-gap romance, but to be honest, for much of the story, I felt it was more of a father-son sort of story with major controlling Daddy issues and very little, if any, romance.

Sheriff Rich Davis is a retired soldier who took a position as sheriff in the small town of Hope, Arizona, a few years before this story opens. His life
T.M. Smith
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Age is just a number! "
Would you recommend this audiobook to a friend? If so, why?
I sure would, I love this Author and the narrator is pretty darn good as well.

If you’ve listened to books by Cardeno C. before, how does this one compare?
I've listened to a good many of CC's books and this one is somewhere in the middle. I had a few issues with a certain stubborn, pig headed male in the story. But overall I enjoyed it.

Have you listened to any of Ezekiel Robison’s other performances before? How doe
Laura Nelson (Tangents and Tissues)
Welcome back to Hope, Arizona!

Smitty’s Sheriff is book 3 in the Hope Collection. Each novella contains interconnected characters, but can be read as standalones. It’s perfect for me as I get to catch up with my favourites from the previous books. I’m just greedy like that, lol!

I love this series (surprise, not!) and the men who inhabit Hope. Though some more than others (*coughs* Tanner – see Jesse’s Diner). It contains the perfect mix for me; m/m and a May to December romance.

As readers of the
Deanna
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
This is one of my favorite series by Cardeno C so I was so excited for this one. In fact I re-read McFarland's Farm and Jesse's Diner to revisit with everyone before diving into the new one. While Richard and Todd are far from my favorite characters in Hope, the story worked for them.

Todd is a 22 year old flirt who has been in love with Richard, the thirty something sheriff of Hope for some time. The two had a three year fling which Richard ended abruptly and for the past 6 months Todd hasn't be
Tj
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: age-difference, cop
Just like in real life, readers occasionally run across fictional characters that make us scratch our heads and wonder "WHAT THE HECK". Richard and Todd are two such characters.

Richard is in his forties, retired military and the sheriff of a small town. He is neat, orderly, and loves to be in control. Todd is in his early twenties, comes across as clueless, and likes it when Rich takes control. Neither of the two has a clue about how to communicate.

Richard wants to settle down but thinks Todd is
4620386
Cardeno C. - CC to friends - is a hopeless romantic who wants to add a lot of happiness and a few "awwws" into a reader's day. Writing is a nice break from real life as a corporate type and volunteer work with gay rights organizations. Cardeno's stories range from sweet to intense, contemporary to paranormal, long to short, but they always include strong relationships and walks into the happily-ev ...more
More about Cardeno C....

Hope (3 books)
  • McFarland's Farm (Hope, #1)
  • Jesse's Diner (Hope, #2)