Start by marking “Yobgorgle, Mystery Monster of Lake Ontario” as Want to Read:
Yobgorgle, Mystery Monster of Lake Ontario

Yobgorgle, Mystery Monster of Lake Ontario

While visiting Rochester, New York, young Eugene meets the strange Professor Ambrose McFwain and goes out with him in his boat to search for a mysterious sea monster that has been sighted on Lake Ontario.
Library Binding, 156 pages
Published January 1st 1979 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Yobgorgle, Mystery Monster of Lake Ontario, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yobgorgle, Mystery Monster of Lake Ontario

Miael by Grea AlexanderThe Pack by Grea AlexanderCabello by Grea AlexanderStrange Creatures Seldom Seen by John WarmsLegendary Northwoods Animals by Galen Winter
Creattle
181 books — 7 voters
This I Know by Eldonna EdwardsMiddlesex by Jeffrey EugenidesA Cold Day in Paradise by Steve HamiltonAbby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria LaurieBetter Read Than Dead by Victoria Laurie
Books set in Michigan
378 books — 168 voters

More lists with this book...

Kevin Hogan
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not the best of Pinkwater, but the prettydarngood of Pinkwater. Deutsches Unterseeschwimmschweinboot indeed!
Josher71
Jun 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book when I was ten. Jessie(see friends) got this for me for Xmas 2006 and I was pretty much overjoyed. If you like, um, reading, you should check it out.
Carla
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was so goofy and ridiculous - Daniel Pinkwater rocks!
Alan
Aug 06, 2011 added it
Der Fliegende Schweine German U-boat condemned to sail the Great Lakes until the captain finds the worlds best pastrami sandwich. Pinkwater is master of the incongruous. Really funny stuff.
Honya
Daniel Pinkwater is one of those underappreciated authors who can take the absolute zaniest things and make something absolutely captivating out of them. Yobgorgle is a tall tale about a kid and an inept monster hunter that gets taller the longer it goes. All told in first-person from a twelve-year-old’s point of view. And Pinkwater nails the twelve-year-old part impressively; there’s a dry, cutting observation to the way Eugene views the world, with none of the filters and social niceties that ...more
Misha
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great fun for a kid’s book, actually surprising twist ending and a bunch of wacky characters make this a solid afternoon read
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-fantasy
Yobgorgle, Mystery monster of Lake Ontario by Daniel Pinkwater was a silly, entertaining kids’ book that was originally written in 1979. Even though it feels a bit dated, due to the payphone and ridiculous amount of food Eugene can eat with just a couple of dollars, it’s still entirely enjoyable. I came across it on Amazon, and the ridiculous name meant I just had to check it out.

This is almost perfectly written, with nearly ever sentence propelling the story forward. Eugene is a kid with common
Scott
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Fantastic, amazing, wonderful, magical (get the picture)!
It's Pinkwater so if you're already a fan then you've probably already read this.
If you're not a fan then shame on you - he's the most amazing, subversive, funny, zany, crazy writer out there and this is one of his best.

Kid goes to stay with his uncle BUT
the uncle has to go to Rochester (my hometown) for two week AND
takes the kid BUT
there's not much for the kid to do all day in Rochester SO
he winds up hooking up with a monster hunter AND
be
Turi
May 09, 2008 rated it liked it
After I recently read Daniel Pinkwater's The Neddiad, it reminded me of one of my favorite books when I was a kid. Yobgorgle is the story of a kid who, left to his own devices while staying with an uncle, ends up as a research assistant to a monster-hunting scientist. It turns out that the monster they are searching for is a giant pig-shaped submarine with a cursed captain. And believe it or not, it is even more bizarre than that. Great stuff. It makes me feel good that I liked this kind of deli ...more
Travis
Feb 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
A fun read from Mr. Pinkwater.
A boy travels with his Dad and while his Dad is at work the kid explores the town, discovering the local library and then discover the legend of the local monster, Yoborgle.

It is a pretty straightforward story, surprising for a Pinkwater book, until the last quarter of the book where we then meet some very Pinkwater-ish characters and the monster is explained.

There are no bad Pinkwater books, but this was not as strong as some of his others. A fun read that my kids
Michele Krejny
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun, fast read

My seven-year-old loves Daniel Pinkwater, and we read his books a chapter at a time at bedtime. When we finished this one, my son declared, "That...was...awesome!" A fun plot, and great characters!
Daniel
Nov 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Because I read it, it's awesome.
Josh
Jul 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
More goofy fun from Daniel Pinkwater. Gotta love pig submarines and insta food machines!
Feb 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Another crazy but fun Pinkwater. I enjoyed it more than Borgle...as did Abel. Totally ridiculous characters.
Claire
That Daniel Pinkwater - what a wacky guy!
Allie
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the world's best storytellers. Daniel Pinkwater has the ability to take a simple idea of looking for a mystery monster and turning it into a bizarrely strange, funny and fantastical story.
Stacy
May 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2009, ya
Goofy and fun. Wish I'd read it as a kid.
John Rapson
Oct 03, 2014
David
Jan 24, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Daniel Manus Pinkwater is an author of mostly children's books and is an occasional commentator on National Public Radio. He attended Bard College. Well-known books include Lizard Music, The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death, Fat Men from Space, Borgel, and the picture book The Big Orange Splot. Pinkwater has also illustrated many of his books in the past, although for more recent works that ...more