Start by marking “Tricks for Free (InCryptid #7)” as Want to Read:
Tricks for Free (InCryptid #7)

Tricks for Free

(InCryptid #7)

The seventh book in the funny and fast-paced InCryptid urban fantasy series returns to the mishaps of the Price family, eccentric cryptozoologists who safeguard the world of magical creatures living in secret among humans.

Includes an all-new Aeslin mice novella and a map of Lowryland!

Penance, noun:
1. Punishment for past actions.
2. An attempt to pay for what can't be
Published March 6th 2018 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about Tricks for Free, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tricks for Free

Start your review of Tricks for Free (InCryptid #7)
Robin (Bridge Four)
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

The thing I really like about Seanan McGuire is - she is different. I might not always be completely into everything she is writing, but as an author I think she takes chances and delves into topics other authors shy away from. For instance, in this book alone, there are Ghosts of various
Steven
Thanks to Netgalley and Berkley for providing me with an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

Seanan McGuire is one of my favorite authors. Seriously, she's on my auto-buy list. I love the worlds and characters she creates.

Incryptid is one of those worlds, and I struggle with deciding if it is my favorite or if October Daye is. Every time I read one of the books in either series, I decide that one is my favorite Seanan series. Then I read one in the other, and change my mind.

Tricks for
Bradley
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seanan is my go-to-girl for Urban Fantasy goodness. No matter what she puts her mind to, it's always a treat.

Antimony is here again, on the run, and working at a rip-off Disneyworld. It's a bit of a step up from working in a circus and with these many people running around the park either as guests or employees. It's slightly easier to get lost in the crowd, too, and that's kinda the point. Our favorite derby girl has put away her skates to become a general employee of hell.

Fortunately, she's
Tria
Temporary rating to help counteract the guy who decided to rate this one star before anybody's read it. I hate it when people do that. Rating to be revised when I *have* read it.
Maria Dimitrova
It's cryptozoology time at BB&B.

Originally I rated this 4 stars but the more I thought about it the more I realized that it doesn't deserve it. Don't get me wrong, it's a good book but it's mostly a filler. It sets things for what's to come but the only really relevant chapters were the last 2-3. Everything else was well not boring but unimportant. Add to it the lack of Aeslin mice and I was really disappointed. However, as I said this sets the scene for some future adventures and provided

I love the Incryptid series, the crazy Price family and the huge variety of weird and wonderful creatures (particularly the Aeslin mice!) are just so much fun to read about so of course I was excited to read Tricks for Free even though Antimony is actually my least favourite of the siblings. I enjoyed her first book a lot more than I expected to but unfortunately this one just wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be. Antimony is the youngest of the Price children and she shows a lot
Emma
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This had pacing issues and no Aeslin mice and really, that's all you need to know! The previous book, introducing Antimony was my favourite of the series so far but this was nowhere near as good. Tied bottom place with the second of Alex's stories.
Beth
Antimony, Annie, Price is on the run hiding from her enemies and her family. If she went to her family the Covenant could use her magical signature to find them. Her only chance. Find a massively populated area and hope it masks her magic. What better place then one of the happiest places on earth…a Florida amusement park.

Little did she know that the amusement park is ran but a magic using cabal, just waiting to use Annie for their own means. To top it off, horrific accidents have begun to
Ferdy
Still didn't like Antimony, her personality was boring and her martyr like attitude grated on me, she couldn't go a page without being smug or judgmental or a know it all or without looking down on people. Her worst qualities though were her bitterness and the huge chip she had on her shoulder, especially when it came to her being the youngest sibling and the weird bitchiness she had towards Verity, she really had no reason to complain but she twisted everything to make everyone look bad whilst ...more
Wanda
I picked up this paperback in the store on the day it was released, but it took me a few days to get around to reading it. I went in knowing that the Aeslin mice really didn’t feature in it (Sam takes them to the airport and they head for home). Would the magic still be there without the mice?

I enjoyed the mouse-less adventure just as much as the previous books. It also helped that there was an adorable novella featuring Mindy & Mork (Annie’s mice) at the end of the book. I’m liking Annie
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

TRICKS FOR FREE, the seventh book in the InCryptid series continues this series' trend of high adventure, exciting storylines, and unique worldbuilding. I am constantly impressed how each book comes off as fresh and full of thrilling plots, thought-provoking social commentary, with warm bonds of friendship and family at their core. I'm never bored reading these books! TRICKS FOR FREE continues Antimony's adventure and I absolutely love the detailed
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Fantasy, Paranormal
*Rating* 3.5

*Thoughts*

Tricks for Free, by author Seanan McGuire, is the seventh book in the InCryptid urban fantasy series. The series features the Price family, an eccentric group of cryptozoologists who safeguard the world of magical creatures living in secret among humans. Tricks for Free once again features the youngest Price, Antimony who was last seen escaping the Covenant of St. George (Magic for Nothing) and leaving her new "friend" Sam Taylor
Ina
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I started reading InCryptid series at the beginning of this year and despite it being a little bit more simple than the usual UF series, I liked it. And even though I enjoyed reading about all Price kids, I definitely like Antimony the most. She is a capable heroine with low tolerance of BS, willing to do whatever it takes to protect her family. However, I'm still salty that it's her who has to suffer because of her sister's mistake. I find it very unfair that Verity created this whole
Melliane
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mon avis en Français

My English review

I really like this series and I was eager to discover another of the novels. Besides, I was very happy to see that we were once again following Antimony because I loved having her as the main character in the previous volume. And then after all the events, I wanted to know how this young woman was going to act!

Annie is on the run, she knows that finding her family would put them in danger. So to try to blend in, she decides to go to work in one of the
Alexis
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loving Antimony's voice in this one.
Kira
This series has always been hit or miss for me. It's probably because each book takes place in a different setting with new side characters even if the main characters are the same. Each book can have a totally different vibe depending on those things. I loved the last book along with Antimony but didn't feel the same this time around.

Antimony made one bad choice after another. Her reasons for staying away from her family made sense. She could have used Mary as a good between if she wasn't
Marzie
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-net-galley
Tricks for Free is the seventh entry in the InCryptid series and one of my favorites, in spite of the novel’s lack of Aeslin mice. (Aeslin Mice fans, take heart! Included with this novel is the account of Mindy and Mork’s perilous journey back to the Price compound, following Annie’s difficult decision to send them home at the conclusion of Magic for Nothing, in a story previously only available to McGuire’s Patreon supporters.)

Over the course of the first six books we’ve gotten to know the
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Much as I love Antimony, Tricks for Free is one of the weaker InCryptid installments. It's stricken with seventh book syndrome, if that were a thing, but it's totally not. Seriously, though, the issues here are reminiscent of "second book syndrome," in that the plot's a bit lacking and the book's more about setting things in motion for a larger and more exciting plot in the next book.

Antimony's on the run and living as Melody West, while working at Lowryland, a competitor of Disney, in Lakeland,
Sionna
Really enjoying this series and love Annie. So glad we are getting a longer arc for her. This was an interesting setting for sure and was very entertaining. I just found it weird that she was so trusting of certain people when I didn't think it fit her personality.

Ah, I did miss the mice...
Erin (PT)
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not only did I enjoy this book on its own merits, it's a really excellent follow-up from the previous book...and largely for the same reason: the story of a woman who, separated from the only family she's ever known, begins to build one of her own.

Though nothing about Antimony's story is a direct read from she or her family being from a marginalized group (if anything, the books go out of their way to rightfully point out that she is NOT), there's still a kinship to be found and felt between
Caitlin
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Annie, but not too much happens in this book. Yes, there's a conflict set up and resolved, and characters introduced (or reintroduced), but it's mostly set up for the next adventure. And that's going to be a doozy.

Still, it's a fun set up--at a theme park, with plenty of crytipds, and some romance along with the backstabbing and danger. And the short story with Mork and Mindy is adorable.
Shyla Colt
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Action, humor, cryptids, with a side of romance, mystery , and adventure. What wasn't there to love about this book? This was my first foray into the Incryptid novels and the world of Antimony and her numerous alias, friends, and secrets. I didn't feel like 'I missed a beat, the sign of a well written book in a lengthy series. The spunky , flawed character with a checkered past, serious problems, and a soft spot for justice was easy to like ( even when i waned to throttle her) for the ...more
Maggie Gordon
Antimony Price is best Price :D Coming off the heels of her disastrous mission, Antimony is hiding out at Lowry Land. However, where Prices go, trouble always follows, and there are some strange things happening at the park... like death and destruction! I really enjoy seeing Antimony develop her own found family, and that she's close with so many cryptids. It sets her apart from her siblings who seem to have smaller circles and less intimate relationships with cryptids. Plus, her whole sorcery ...more
Karissa
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the seventh book in the InCryptid series a was a wonderful continuation of the InCryptid series. This book continues to follow Antimony Price and her adventures.

While Antimony isn't my favorite character follow in this series, I did think this was the best book about her yet and I really, really enjoyed it. We finally get to see more of Antimony’s magic and watch as she struggles to learn to control it.

I loved the new characters introduced; Annie’s roommates are a slyph and a gorgon and
Sylvia McIvers
Sometimes I have a stack of books by authors I've never read, and one book that's sure to be excellent.

Save Excellent for last, it hides the taste of all the other disappointments.

Annie is on the run from her family, because really she is on the run from Big Evil, AKA the Covenant. And she didn't even get a cute husband out of it, like her big sister did. In fact, she had to run away from her cute cryptid boyfriend. (not fair. the world is so not fair.)

She gets a hand from an old friend, and
Holly Hand Grenade
“Thanks for the vote of murder-confidence,” I said.
She flashed me a bright, toothy smile. “I always have faith in you when it comes to murder.”

So, I'm in Antimony's corner now. All in. I started out being annoyed with her all the time because she's the little sister and, as such, has all this ferocious jealousy/scorn that she feels toward Verity. Verity's the first character I identified with in this world. Call me protective?

Ms. McGuire is an absolute genius because Antimony is really young,
Jasmine
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: daw
Designing a century-old media empire, so that it can populate a theme park, within which to set a series of murders, is the most Seanan McGuire thing to-date.

Also, CROSSROADS? GHOSTS? MURDER? LUCK? I LOVE THIS?
Monica
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
4.5 stars. I Love Seanan McGuire. She is one of my favorite authors. That being said this was not my favorite of all her incryptid books but still an excellent story. Love this series and I enjoyed the short story at the end. I'm glad she included it because I really missed the mice in the story.
Mary
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite in the series so far. It may be because I joined roller derby recently and any references to it make me gleeful.
Carysa Locke
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars? I guess that sounds like I am splitting hairs. I can't help it when reading in a series by one of my favorite authors; I inevitably compare the book to how much I enjoyed others in the same series.

I anticipated Antimony's book(s) since reading the first InCryptid novel about her sister, Verity Price. The world was so unique, the premise so fun, and the world building top notch. (Who doesn't adore the Aeslin mice??)

But the first Antimony book left me a bit cold. She seems super
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Urban Fantasy Afi...: Nov/Dec 2018 Series Read - Tricks for Free 10 10 Dec 31, 2018 06:47AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Tricks for Free [Mar 13, 2018] 8 24 Mar 17, 2018 08:11AM
Girls, Guns and G...: March NR BotM Tricks for Free 45 30 Mar 17, 2018 08:11AM
And the 1 star reviews are already starting 2 45 Nov 30, 2017 01:13PM

• Westward Weird
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • Dark Queen (Jane Yellowrock, #12)
  • Burn Bright (Alpha & Omega, #5; Mercy Thompson World - Complete, #15)
  • Lake Silence (The World of the Others, #1; The Others, #6)
  • Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • Shattered Bonds (Jane Yellowrock, #13)
  • Wild Country (The World of the Others, #2; The Others, #7)
  • Grave Destiny (Alex Craft, #6)
  • Glitter & Mayhem
  • Dime a Demon (Ordinary Magic, #5)
  • In the Shadow of Spindrift House
  • Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10)
  • Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy, #4)
  • Kingdom of Needle and Bone
  • Iron and Magic (The Iron Covenant, #1)
  • Dead Man's Hand: An Anthology of the Weird West
  • Circle of the Moon (Soulwood, #4)
Hi! I'm Seanan McGuire, author of the Toby Daye series (Rosemary and Rue, A Local Habitation, An Artificial Night, Late Eclipses), as well as a lot of other things. I'm also Mira Grant (www.miragrant.com), author of Feed and Deadline.

Born and raised in Northern California, I fear weather and am remarkably laid-back about rattlesnakes. I watch too many horror movies, read too many comic books, and

InCryptid (9 books)
  • Discount Armageddon (InCryptid, #1)
  • Midnight Blue-Light Special (InCryptid, #2)
  • Half-Off Ragnarok (InCryptid, #3)
  • Pocket Apocalypse (InCryptid, #4)
  • Chaos Choreography (InCryptid, #5)
  • Magic for Nothing (InCryptid, #6)
  • That Ain’t Witchcraft (InCryptid, #8)
  • Imaginary Numbers (InCryptid, #9)
“Your family, your real family, will always welcome you home with open arms. Anyone who says you can lose their love isn't really family, no matter what blood says.” 13 likes
“To people who think they're the best the world has to offer, kindness is an afterthought and an unnecessary one at that.” 5 likes