Start by marking “Kuningas asfaldi all. Kuidas arheoloogid leidsid Richard III (Elav teadus, #6)” as Want to Read:
Kuningas asfaldi all. Kuidas arheoloogid leidsid Richard III (Elav teadus, #6)

Kuningas asfaldi all. Kuidas arheoloogid leidsid Richard III (Elav teadus, #6)

Kui arheoloogid kaevasid 2012. aastal Leicesteri linna sotsiaalameti parkla alt välja vana kloostrikiriku müürid, leidsid nad sealt ühe haua. Hauas lamas luukere, mille selgroog oli tugevalt kõverdunud, kolp sisse löödud ja luudel paistis mõõgajälgi.

Kas see võib olla Inglise kuningas Richard III, kurikuulus küürakas, kelle tuntusele aitas tublisti kaasa Shakespeare? Kas k
Hardcover, Elav teadus, 288 pages
Published June 2017 by Argo (first published April 21st 2014)

Carolyn It does explain about how the process that lead to the car park etc.(They didn't initially know just what they had) The bias is slightly more toward v…moreIt does explain about how the process that lead to the car park etc.(They didn't initially know just what they had) The bias is slightly more toward villain, but they do try to stay balanced(less)

Start your review of Kuningas asfaldi all. Kuidas arheoloogid leidsid Richard III (Elav teadus, #6)
Susan
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book gives a fascinating account of the archaeological dig which unearthed the bones of Richard III under a car park in Leicester. Although the bones were confirmed as Richard III’s remains in February 2013 the dig began in August 2012 and, of course, the background goes back many years before that. The book begins with a summary of Richard’s life – the last English monarch to die in battle. There are also all the rumours about where Richard was supposedly buried and what might have become ...more
John
This book could easily have been some boring academic treatise but it is exactly the opposite. It is one of the most interesting books I have read in a long time. It covers Richard III' s life and death at Bosworth, one lady's obsession with his story and getting him found, convincing groups to fund an archeological dig, the dig it's self, reassembling the skeleton, identifying injuries, reconstructing his face and finally DNA confirmation that the skeleton actually is Richard III. An easy read ...more
Jon Carton
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, archaeology
An enjoyable and easy read that manages to avoid the slow and difficult pacing that similar books often encounter. This is probably because it is less of a history book and more of a recounting of the build up to the excavation, the dig itself and the aftermath. Whilst it does include a chapter that gives the reader a basic understanding of Richard III's life and the cultural turmoil that England was in, the main focus is on the archaeology.

The other main factor in making this book an enjoyable
Fred Klein
I've decided not to finish this. I was an Anglophile in college, and was particularly interested in the much maligned Richard III. I was fascinated when his bones were recently found and watched tv footage about it. But somehow this very interesting king and finding make for this quite boring book. The author throws an awful lot of names at us, and the tiny print does not help. ...more
CatBookMom
Feb 22, 2018 marked it as get-back-to-these  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfic-history
2/22/18 - I've had this in my OverDrive Wish List for a while, and was sad to see that my library says that its license has expired, so it no longer has the rights to the ebook. Dunno if I want to buy it or look for a print copy. ...more
MAP
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good book detailing the many steps it took to dig up the car park that housed Richard III's body. I loved reading about the philosophically different approaches between Langley and the archeologists, the hoops that had to be jumped through at each process, the initial (quiet) shock when the scientists realized what they might have found, and the forensics involved in confirming who it was. What I found most fascinating was how the injuries to the skull really created a narrative of prec ...more
Larraine
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"History is written by the victors." Winston Churchill

As a 12 yr old, I read a book called The Last Plantagenet, an utterly romantic book of historical fiction narrated by a young commoner who is the mistress of Richard III. The author makes the case, through this narration, that Richard III was vilified by history. Josephine Tey wrote a book about a bed bound detective who investigates the story and finds enough in the historical record to indicate that Richard III was NOT the villain that Sha
Pamela  (Here to Read Books and Chew Gum)
There is a lot to be said for a writer with an academic background who can make history and academic sciences appealling and accessible to the general reading public. Mike Pitts in 'Digging for Richard III' has achieved this with panache.

With an historical context for every step of the journey, we can follow Richard through birth to death, through popular culture, and even modern prejudices. No stone is left unturned, and it is refreshing to see a book focus on the archaeology itself within a br
Damaskcat
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a totally fascinating and compelling book and is as exciting as an adventure story. It tells how Philippa Langley became interested in Richard III and determined to find his grave having had a feeling she knew exactly where it was. The task was taken on by an archaeological unit in Leicester which undertakes digs for the construction industry and local authorities when new building work is taking place to ensure than historical evidence is not overlooked and destroyed.

Their investigatio
K.
A brief but easy to read discussion of the discovery of Richard III's skeleton in Leicester. Pitts covers all sides of the story, from those who fought to have the excavation happen to the archaeologists who thought their clients were a bit nuts and who were wholly unconvinced that they'd never find him to the scientists who performed the DNA tests that established the skeleton's identity.

It's definitely interesting, although large parts of it are anecdotal and based on discussions with the var
Lindsey
(I won a copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads.)

Digging for Richard III is a fascinating look at the process of finding Richard III's body, and the subsequent process of determining that the body was, in fact, his.

It starts at the very beginning, when the dig was first commissioned - when no one believed that he was even buried there, much less that they would actually find him - and follows each step, up until the final press conference.

It was interesting to read about the archaeolo
Janet
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book could have been better. I'm not sure if it was the tone or perhaps the general manner in which it was written, but I felt bored reading this book that I should have devoured in a day. I became fascinated by Richard III when I read The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey in junior high school. Having read news accounts of the quest for his bones, I was excited to read all about it. But I was bored. On some reflection, I wonder if this book was written for an English audience and s ...more
Neil Pierson
In 2012, archaeologists unexpectedly found the remains of Richard III, King of England and Shakespearean Bad Guy. This wouldn't have happened if not for a crazy woman named Philippa Langley.*

Richard III was killed in a battle in 1485. His body was brought to the English town of Leicester and was believed to be buried in a friary there. Later, the body might have been dug up and tossed in a river by some ungrateful former subjects. If he was anything like the character in Shakespeare's play, thei
Paniaa
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable and readable book. Makes the process exciting and adventurous not the least being that the academics played down the possibility of finding the king. It was a longer than long shot they said. Besides, they make a policy of not searching for "a named individual" Not to mention the need for funding - something we can all relate to. ...more
Lady Wesley
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amz-rev
This is a fascinating account of the unlikely pairing of archeologists and Richard III fans working together to search for the long-lost body of Richard III, killed in 1485 in the Battle of Bosworth Field. Almost nobody really expected the project to succeed, and even though we know the ending, the author manages to convey a sense of suspense throughout.
Jessica
3.5 stars...I enjoyed the chapters about Richard III's actual life and the information about the genetic research done once the 2012 dig was concluded and the remains were being processed. However, I didn't enjoy the middle chapters about the process leading up to the actual dig and cursory profiles of the participants. Definitely inspired me to read an actual biography of Richard III. ...more
Frances Levy
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You don't have to be a Ricardian to appreciate the search for the king's remains. A very good read about England's most controversial monarch and the modern efforts to find his grave and give him a proper funeral. ...more
Patricia
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Archeology and history combined - not bad. I was turned off by the small print but liked the history behind the dig for Richard III.
Marlene
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally published at Reading Reality

I could just say that this is the story of an archaeological dig, and while that would be correct, it wouldn’t really cover the book or the impact of the story behind it. I could also say that this is the story of one person following their dream and making it happen, no matter how many times people tell her it is impossible.

What this is definitely NOT is a story about the King Richard who is the dastardly villain of Shakespeare’s play Richard III. The play
I was a little disappointed in the writing quality of this one- the book felt a bit hastily thrown together, it meandered a bit, and it felt rather incomplete- but for all that, the author still managed to imbue it with a certain level of suspense, despite my foreknowledge of the conclusion.
Victoria
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn’t put it down - fascinating. Doing some courses on tudors and Richard lately and puts it all into perspective. Really enjoyed this book
Mary
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
As a Ricardian of long-standing, I probably have a different, and more intense, view than most readers about this topic. The finding of Richard III's bones was an almost unbelievable event, longed for but never really expected.
This book tells the story of the archeological dig and the post-discovery scientific analysis from the point of view of the academics and scientists at the University of Leicester. As such, it takes a distanced view of Richard and his life, trying to stay above the variou
Joseph Adelizzi, Jr.
I found Mike Pitts’ Digging for Richard III to be interesting, intriguing, and indisposing.

The scientific information Pitts shares is very interesting, from the archaeological revelation that archaeologists don’t really like to find human remains, to the biological morsel that eating a diet heavy on seafood will skew Carbon 14 dating, to the forensic ability to recreate the final moments of life.

I found the subtle nod to the paranormal intriguing. Did the spirit of Richard III draw Philippa Lang
Amanda
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goodreads-wins
This was a really good book; it was both interesting and a quick read, but maintained an academic feel. While it provides a little bit of background history on Richard III, it mostly follows the process of discovering, excavating, and identifying his remains under a car park in Leicester. Mike Pitts describes the whole process, from the earliest hunches and fundraising, through the genetic testing that confirmed the bones belonged to Richard III.

I'd also like to review the physical book itself.
Melissa
I am FASCINATED with this discovery, but the writing is not great at times. It seems like the author had issues paraphrasing. Check it out, "tales of the fevered despoliation of Richard's tomb had unleashed a material counterpart to the royal bed for gossip and commerce- a royal coffin. Some 50 years in the ground before retrieval and a further 75 before first noted, the coffin could not be wood, and a stone one was duly found and proudly displayed at another inn."

Huh? Who supplied the coffin?
J. Bryce
Many readers here complained about the tiny typeface (is that 6-point?), and it was pretty damn small, but to make it any bigger would have doubled the cost of a small, specialty-press book - and this little 208-page tome is already MSRP'd at $29.95! Despite the color and good quality paper and binding, no one much would spend $60 to read it, not even libraries.

That aside, this is a really well-written, page-turning story of the archaeological dig that recovered the skeleton of the Last Plantag
Ellen
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very enjoyable read. It focuses on the the science, and on the big picture of the excavation done by the University of Leicester for Grey Friars. It is impressive to see the focus on the science, and the history.
Bibliovixen
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read on the background behind the archeology story of finding Richard III. I appreciated the compact history lesson on where and how Richard III became king. Highly recommend for history buffs, especially English royalty history seekers.
John A Bender
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great study of modern archaeology

Really interesting description of the dig and aftermath. I was especially impresses with multiple verifications done. What a great reminder of history's surprises.
Claudia
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I saw the documentary "Digging for Richard III" but this gives so much more background information. Lots of more background information. Also gives the reader an idea what is actually involved today to actually arrange and perform an archaeological dig.

The book is broke up into a Prologue and 5 Acts:

The Prologue is basically a summary of the book.

Act I: England, 1452-85 - A very brief overview of the War of the Roses with the family tree of Richard III, Lancaster verses York, with the connection
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Richard III and the Princes in the Tower
  • How to Behave Badly in Elizabethan England: A Guide for Knaves, Fools, Harlots, Cuckolds, Drunkards, Liars, Thieves, and Braggarts
  • Connect the Stars
  • Rogue Warrior (Rogue Warrior, #1)
  • And a Bottle of Rum: A History of the New World in Ten Cocktails
  • Three Doors to Death (Nero Wolfe, #16)
  • Welcome to Blackwater: Mercenaries, Money and Mayhem in Iraq
  • Mona in the Promised Land
  • Confederates in the Attic: Dispatches from the Unfinished Civil War
  • A Servant of Slaves: The Life of Henriette Delille
  • A Girl of the Limberlost (Limberlost, #2)
  • Floodgates (Faye Longchamp, #5)
  • Woman of God
  • Sherman's March: Atlanta to the Sea
  • A Simple Habana Melody
  • The Portable Dorothy Parker
  • The Guynd: A Scottish Journal
Archeologist, who also writes as Michael W. Pitts.