Start by marking “Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams” as Want to Read:
Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams

Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams

The stories that inspired the original dramatic series, premiering January 12, 2018.

Though perhaps most famous as a novelist, Philip K. Dick wrote more than one hundred short stories over the course of his career, each as mind-bending and genre-defining as his longer works. Philip K. Dick’s Electric Dreams collects ten of the best. In “Autofac,” Dick shows us one of the
Published November 14th 2017 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published September 14th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams, please sign up.
Crocranger I purchased the UK softcover edition and neither 'Holy Quarrel' or 'If There Were No Benny Cemoli' is included. That said, the ten that are included…moreI purchased the UK softcover edition and neither 'Holy Quarrel' or 'If There Were No Benny Cemoli' is included. That said, the ten that are included are all listed in his top 30 short fiction titles on a list I generated using Google stats. Purchasing this, Jonathan Lethem's 'Selected Stories of Philip K Dick' and Dover's 'The Early Science Fiction of...' gave me 35 of the top 44 with minimal overlap at an affordable total price.(less)

Joey Woolfardis
A collection of PKD short stories that were the inspiration for episodes of the television programme Electric Dreams. Some were true to the original whilst others had only mere snippets of them, often changing dramatically to bring them up to date and more inclusive.

Actually quite a decent collection of his stories, though one feels the need to stress that PKD expertise is not needed here. Enjoyment is available for sci-fi fans, for PKD fans and for short story fans. It's a good collection but b
Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams is a collection of the ten short stories that inspired the Channel Four TV series of the same name, each story also comes with a brief introduction from the writer who adapted it for the series which explains their thought process behind any changes they made. I'll talk about each story separately but as they're not printed in the order they're airing on TV I'll also confirm which episode each story relates to. Overall I really enjoyed this collection, it was fun ...more
Ray
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fic, pk-dick, shorts, audio
I really enjoyed this short story collection of some of PK Dick's finest and weirdest or short stories. Of course, as we all know, he was a genius and predicted the anxiety and reality confusion of the modern world like no one else! Etc. etc., you've heard it all before.

What is unique about this anthology is that it ties into the Amazon television series. Now, it is true that this series has it's highlights but it's frankly not as good as Black Mirror. But it's still solid science fiction, whic
César Bustíos
Son diez relatos cortos escritos por Dick entre 1953 y 1955, todos ellos pertenecientes a diferentes volúmenes de la serie "Cuentos completos". Hay una introducción a cada relato escrita por el director/productor encargado de la adaptación de dicho relato en la serie antológica de televisión Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams.

Estoy completamente de acuerdo con lo mencionado por Jack Thorne (en la introducción de "El abonado"). Si has leído a Dick, sabrás de que está hablando:

"He leído mucha cienci
Ivan Lutz
Deset Dickovih priča koje su plod piščevog manijakalnog pisanja sredinom pedesetih godina prošlog stoljeća. Sežu od vrhunskih do mlakih i bezveznih. Sigurno alegorijski i idejno najbolja je "The Hanging Stranger" koja je bezvremenska i vječna, te"Sales Pitch" koja savršeno ocrtava npr. banere i pop up reklame na netu i oko nas.
Sve ostalo je poprilično mlako, mekano i tanko. Kažem to jer mi je PKD jedan od najboljih SF književnika uopće, pa je i pravo čudo kako su snimili sve one epizode po ovim
LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
So before the TV series Electric Dreams was broadcast I’d never really heard of Philip K Dick (seriously every time I type that name I giggle, yes I’m like a five year old) but having enjoyed a couple of episodes of the show I thought I’d read the original stories. That was about six months ago and I have finally got round to reading them.

The stories in this collection are, Exhibit Piece, The Commuter, The Impossible Planet, The Hanging Stranger, Sales Pitch, The Father Ting, The Hood Maker, Fos
Ema
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-my-shelves
4,5*

Foi o primeiro contacto que tive com Philip K. Dick e estou impressionada. Não sou muito culta em ficção científica porque nunca estive muito interessada em conhecer, porém, depois de ver Black Mirror (bastante parecida com estes contos, já agora), a minha relação com ela mudou. E acho que comecei pelo sítio certo. O autor aborda essencialmente as questões que me são predilectas: o poder da tecnologia, o que é ser humano, a despersonalização do Homem enquanto o mundo evolui, as possibilidade
John
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
This compilation of Philip K. Dick's short stories, all written in the early to mid-1950s in the midst of the Cold War. Each story includes a foreword by an individual involved in the story's translation to film for the Twilight Zone series, Electric Dreams.

The anthology begins strong with the short story, "Exhibit Piece," about a museum curator who bends the time-space continuum to live in the world of one of his exhibits on 1950s America. Another early story, "The Hanging Stranger", was remin
William
Not a review, but a NOTICE:

My wife and I just watched the first of 10 hour-long episodes of sci-fi based on the short stories of PKD on Channel 4 in the UK.

a review in The Guardian

I note at the end credits it was Amazon Studios, so you may find it there at some point.

It was superb. The actress, Holliday Grainger, also stars in BBC "Strike" based on J.K. Rowling's detective series.

I highly recommend both.
Rostyslav
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Кожне оповідання з цієї збірки має екранізацію в новому серіалі "Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams" (2017).
Доволі цікаві... як і самі екранізації...
Bettie☯
Description: Electric Dreams, is a British-American science fiction television anthology series based on the works of Philip K. Dick. The series premiered on Channel 4 in the United Kingdom on 17 September 2017.[1] It consists of ten standalone episodes based on Dick's work, written by British and American writers. Episode details below are sourced from wiki.

"The Hood Maker": In an authoritarian regime called the Free Union, a minority of humans have developed telepathic abilities. Mistrusted b
Sorcha O'Dowd
Watching the series and reading the book side-by-side.

Thoughts on 'The Hood Maker' - I love what the screenwriter did with the story. Rather than adapt it, it's like a different, untold side of the story has been told. More like an episode influenced by aspects of the original story. Very different, but intriguing none-the-less. Emotionally, I connected more to the TV episode than the written story, but enjoyed both equally, but for different reasons.

Alessandra JJ
Não sei se fui com muita expectativa por ser um livro do K . Dick, mas não curti muito :/ Só gostei de verdade de um dos contos, todos os outros achei meio meh. Bem diferente do Realidades Adaptadas.
Nora
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, short-stories
4,5 stars ! Only one story I didnt really like ...more
reherrma
Aus Anlaß der Philip K. Dick Anthologie-Serie, die gerade von Channel 4 produziert wurde und hier in Deutschland bei Amazon Prime gestreamt wird, hat der Fischer Tb-Verlag die Orginal-Kurzgeschichten von Philip K. Dick neu veröffentlicht, nachdem sie im Laufe der Jahrzehnte bei verschiedenen Verlagen bereits veröffentlicht wurden. Die meisten Geschichten stammen aus den 50er Jahren und gehören somit zu Dicks Frühwerk, dem noch die literarische Größe seines Spätwerkes fehlt, aber bereits hier sin ...more
Helen
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Electric Dreams is a collection of short stories that were the influence for the episodes in the recent tv series based on Philip K. Dick's work.

The social and cultural side of a lot of them make the stories feel dated. A lot of the sci-fi is the standard stuff that was doing the rounds in the 50s / 60s - human style service robots etc. I don't mind this, I love Arthur C. Clarke and Issac Asimov but I found it irritating here. Maybe because he's touted as super modern and way ahead of his time?
Boris
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Čudo koliko su neke stvari i danas aktualne.
Andy Hickman
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“PHILIP K. DICK'S ELECTRIC DREAMS: VOLUME 1”: the stories which inspired the hit channel 4 series, by PHILIP K. DICK
Collection of his stories, always mesmerizing. There is nobody else like him. You can never guess the ending, even after you've read it.! *****

“Exhibit Piece”: Clever surreal. Great ending. ****
...
“You realize this may be nothing but an exhibit? You and everybody else - maybe you're not real. Just pieces of an exhibit.” (p13)
- -

“The Commuter”: His life, work and family subtly chan
Gabriela Ventura
Comprei o volume antes de assistir a série da Amazon, e não sabia nada sobre os contos.

Bem, a minha recepção não poderia ter sido mais morna.

São contos bacanas, mas datados e esquecíveis. Escritos nos anos 50, exploram de forma análoga os tropos comuns da FC americana da época: sociedade de consumo, Guerra Fria, caça às bruxas na política, o medo do energia nuclear, da perda da individualidade, e por aí vai. Para quem é fã do gênero acaba sendo mais do mesmo - ainda não estamos falando da voz mu
Nigeyb
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful collection of provocative and prescient Philip K. Dick short stories from the 1950s, and which inspired the Channel Four television series of the same name. I didn't see the TV series however I can vouch for the quality of the stories.

The stories in this collection are, Exhibit Piece, The Commuter, The Impossible Planet, The Hanging Stranger, Sales Pitch, The Father Thing, The Hood Maker, Foster, You’re Dead, Human Is and Autofac.

4/5

Thais
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've recently started to watch the TV series.

I found the episode based on the short story "Human Is" to be so perfectly brilliant that I paused before it was finished and rushed to read this book.

This collection is sure to please any PKD fan. It has all the characteristic elements, with highly imaginative stories that contemplate human nature and often leave the reader with a queasy feeling.

I can't, however, regret the compromises the screenwriters have made to modernize these tales and make the
Books Beyond The Story
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I could have gone OTT and picked apart every single story in this collection (and I would totally do that) but then where’s the mystery? Where’s the surprise? Where’s the passion? I will be reviewing this book as a whole with focus on three of the ten narratives.

‘The Commuter’

In this story, a man turns up at the train station ticket office wanting a ticket to Macon Heights. But there’s a problem. It doesn’t exist. Then he vanishes. Completely disappears! This leads the ticket officer to try and
Tina (KillMonotony)
Elektrische Geschichten über die Zukunft, Außerirdische und die Realität — was ist wahr und was nicht?

Direkt nachdem ich erfahren hatte, dass es eine Serie zu einigen von Philip K. Dicks Kurzgeschichten geben würde, war ich voller Vorfreude. Als dann auch noch diese zehn Kurzgeschichten in einem Sammelband erschienen, musste dieser natürlich her. Zwar sorgt das Cover bei mir für Kopf- und Augenschmerzen, aber dem S. Fischer Verlag kann man da keinen Vorwurf machen, da dies ebenfalls das Cover de
Ken
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like most people, I became aware of these stories due to the recent TV adaptations. As the show is taking a mid-series break in the UK I felt it was about time that I delved into the stories...
This addition includes introductions from the directors, so inevitably I'll be comparing the stories to the show.

Exhibit Piece The episode Real Life has little resemblance to this, a great story to start the collection. Different realities have always been one of my favorite Science-Fiction tropes. 4/5

The
Ben Red
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Quick disclaimer: I listened to the Audible audiobook rather than reading a physical copy, which may have affected my overall feeling towards this collection.

This book has been throughly “pizzled.” A term in one of the ten stories which the characters define as a state in which a consumer product is made with no practical need or want. Another way to put it is a supply created with a moral objection to the perceived nature of the demand.

The stories themselves are quintessential PKD stories. Th
Francesca (A tavola coi libri)
Recensione completa sul blog:

Amanti della fantascienza, non c’è bisogno che vi dica che questo è il libro per voi. Insomma, stiamo pur sempre parlando di Philip J. Dick, e se bazzicate anche solo un po’ in questo genere, il suo è un nome che avrete sentito molte volte. Questa non è una delle mie solite recensioni, anche perché non consigliarlo è assurdo. Questo libro va letto. Mi piacerebbe però sottolineare qualche particolarità che lo rende geniale.

Rest
Stacy Bell
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I finished this in 3 days. Sometimes (a lot) it takes me weeks or even months because I start one and immediately put it down and take forever to pick it back up. This is a collection of short stories so it was really easy for me to get into and they were all so fun to read! I've never read anything by this author so it was a good place to start and I'll definitely consider reading more by him.
jassira raxlly
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love PKDs philosophy and ideas. I've read a couple of these stories prior, but still wonderful. I absolutely HATE the bigotry.
I'm watching the Electic Dreams in conjunction and enejoy the experience.
Dalibor Dado Ivanovic
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knjige
Odlicne price ali mi se iskreno cini da je u seriji ipak uneseno malo vise emocije i poetike...
Goodreads Librari...: Author credit on Anthologies 3 14 Feb 17, 2019 04:58PM
Sci-Fi Group Book...: Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams: Volume 1 7 12 Nov 11, 2018 01:45PM
  • Lightspeed: Year One
  • Wishing Stars: Space Opera Fairytales
  • Getting Away With It
  • Greendale
  • Blue Note: The Album Cover Art
Philip K. Dick was born in Chicago in 1928 and lived most of his life in California. In 1952, he began writing professionally and proceeded to write numerous novels and short-story collections. He won the Hugo Award for the best novel in 1962 for The Man in the High Castle and the John W. Campbell Memorial Award for best novel of the year in 1974 for Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. Philip K. Di ...more
“Of course, he snuck all this in under the guise of pulp science fiction, baiting us into believing that maybe this is all just fantasy. Only once the story is over, and we take another look at the world around us, do we realize: It’s all completely true.” 1 likes
“Nobody should lead mankind. It should lead itself.” 1 likes