Start by marking “The Stroke of Thirteen” as Want to Read:
The Stroke of Thirteen

The Stroke of Thirteen

When Grace Pembleton inherited her grandfather's business in rural Pennsylvania, she had no idea what else she was in for. She thought life as a bed-and-breakfast owner would be a quiet one, that the only trouble she'd encounter would be making enough coffee for guests.

What she gets instead is a violent gnome, a resident ghost, a secret society, and continuous brushes with
Kindle Edition, First, 339 pages
Published July 11th 2017 by Sky Forest Press

To ask other readers questions about The Stroke of Thirteen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stroke of Thirteen

Rebecca H.
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Buffy the Vampire Slayer for a new generation. Gessner’s incorporation of social media is timely and masterful.
Lonny Johnson
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Carrie Gessner is a friend. Not in the traditional sense, but in the modern "Internet Friend" sense. I first discovered her writing fan fiction, then on Twitter, then here on Goodreads. I knew she was a good writer, but when i read her book "The Dying of the Golden Day" I was blown away. It is epic. If she can maintain that level for the whole series it deserves to be a fantasy classic, Tolkien style. So, I was anxious to read her other work, "Where You Can See the Stars" and "The Stroke of Thir ...more
Amanda
I love this take on the urban fantasy genre! I appreciated Grace's less violent take on dealing with the paranormal, and I always like seeing social media tidbits inserted in the story. It makes it feel more contemporary because honestly, who isn't spending at least some of their time on social media these days? Overall, I liked the mystery and the resolution (esp. re: the statue) at the end, and I'd read another book with these fun and quirky characters.

Note: I do think it's important to read
C. S.
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, audio
I get frustrated and bored with urban fantasy until I read one like this.

This is like watching a really good season of a favorite CW show. Fun, small-town setting, a family with a historical obligation to stand between the residents of the town and the supernatural, an inexperienced newcomer taking up the reigns, and some quirky, lighthearted shenanigans to offset the doom, gloom, murder, and mayhem.

I should probably bump this up a star just for sheer revisitability. I can tell this is going t
Melissa Levine
Lidia
This is my review of the audio version as posted on Audible:

I really needed a day or two to think over what I was going to write about the book... so finally here it is:)

It's a confusing book, even more so when you listen to it, I think.
On the one hand, it has quite a unique, intriguing and really engaging story, with the Pembleton family being the centre of all that is going on in the town and the magic/paranormal occurances that happen. It also has a bunch of interesting characters, both posi
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
I received this book for free. I am voluntarily posting this review and all opinions expressed herein are my own.

This book is a little hard to review as I really wanted to like it but ended up feeling a bit confused. The blurb indicates that the MC Grace has inherited her grandfather's B&B and certainly implies that this is something that just happened or will happen during the reading of the book. However, it seems like this is something that happened quite some time ago. Although nothing i
Deedra
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this story,though it was sometimes confusing.Once I gave u trying to make sense of some things it went better.It seems Grace has inherited more than an inn from her grandfather.Ghosts,gnomes,etc exist in this Pa town.Fun story.Kristen Price was a very good narrator.I was given this book by the narrator,author or publisher free for an honest review.
Terra
Rachel Komisak
Oct 27, 2017
Dominic Gilmour
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a well-written, well thought out, intelligent novel. The Stroke of Thirteen is an exciting story set in a supernaturally terrorised town called Witch Wood. Gessner's writing style allows the story to flow seamlessly, with witty characters, sassy villains and excitement on every page. Readers are left flicking chapter after chapter, unravelling the mysteries of the town, following an exciting trail that can't be left unexplored. An excellent read!
A