Start by marking “Color Me In” as Want to Read:
Color Me In

Color Me In

A YA novel based on the author's own story, is about a mixed-race Jewish girl as she faces coming-of-age issues before she has decided who she is and where she fits within her two very different worlds—one in Harlem and the other in Westchester County. Publication is set for spring 2019.
Hardcover
Expected publication: August 20th 2019 by Delacorte

To ask other readers questions about Color Me In, please sign up.
Natasha Diaz I really like to write in the evening straight through to super late at night. I have tried to write in cafe's and libraries but I get too distracted,…moreI really like to write in the evening straight through to super late at night. I have tried to write in cafe's and libraries but I get too distracted, so I always write at home and alternate between my desk and my bed and my couch! (less)

Kelly Coon
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
COLOR ME IN is rhythm. Music. Poetry. It's a thrumming in your chest, a pulse in your veins. Diaz's words reveal the power of Nevaeh, a young woman torn between two worlds, not knowing who she is or where she fits in, as she fights against the privilege that comes with her skin. It's filled with strong female characters who challenge Navaeh's sense of normalcy, and young males who prove that societal expectations are wrong when it comes to men of color. As Nevaeh learns about her Jewish faith fr ...more
Satya Nelms
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I all but stood up and cheered when I got to the end of this book about a teenage girl coming of age in circumstances that were infinitely relatable to me, having grown up in a blended, multicultural family.

Nevaeh processes trauma, navigates her identity, comes to terms with her own privilege, and discovers a sense of self all in the midst of a narrative that will have you laughing and crying (sometimes at the same time).

This is courageous story-telling and I can’t wait to read more from Natas
Lisa Ramee
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There's so much to love in this compelling debut! The way Diaz allowed us to see two different cultures without denigrating either was fantastic. And the blossoming love story that defied stereotypes and felt so real. Spoiler alert so stop reading now if you hate that! Although it was painful to read it was so important to include both the suffering of a lost friendship and the pain and guilt someone goes through when they don't know how to say no in a sexual situation--that part of the book was ...more
Cori Thomas
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I could not put it down. More than a YA it is just a novel and a darn amazing one at that. Will stay with you and maybe you’ll reread it for the third time like I’m going to. An author to take notice of! Excellent read!!!!!
Nicole Ippoliti
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is breathtakingly beautiful. It gave me goosebumps. Can't recommend highly enough - I wish this book existed when I was younger, though it' definitely a must read for people of all ages.
Justin A Reynolds
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can already tell it’s gonna be a highlight of 2019! Can’t wait for this!
Sami
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
When her affluent father divorces her mother, biracial Nevaeh is forced to face her Harlem roots for the first time, moving in with her extended family. Not to be outdone, her Jewish father forces a bat mitzvah on her instead of a sweet sixteen party. Ultimately, this adversity changes Nevaeh for the better, helping her find her unique voice and fight her own selfishness. Nevaeh discovers strength in spoken word poetry, an upbeat Rabbi, and a swoonworthy boy named Jesus, along with her newfound ...more
Nikki Barthelmess
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I flew through COLOR ME IN- I had to know what happened next! The author tells an important story about a mixed-race girl learning where she fits in as she struggles between her two worlds. It examined coming to terms with privilege and how it can be used to serve the marginalized in a community. COLOR ME IN really made me think and examine myself. The best books do that!
Malayna Evans
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book pulls you into its world and won't let you go. It's not just a page turner. It's a messy but loving picture of one girl's modern American blended family and all the complications and humor that come along with it. Natasha's prose is beautiful. It will be a highlight of 2019!
Sacha Green-atchley
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If I only had one word to describe Color Me In it would be - stunning. Natasha's debut novel is touching, insightful, humorous, and incredibly heartfelt. She deftly brings you into Navaeh's world through her vivid descriptions, multi-faceted characters, and, of course, her poetry. None of the characters feel shallow, in fact she works to give them all their own motivation, voice, and perspective on Navaeh's journey of self-discovery. Natasha is able to capture a character's uncertainty, doubt, g ...more
Julie Warner
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This novel is a relatable, challenging, and inspiring coming of age story. Nevaeh Levitz is a white passing, biracial, Jewish 15-year-old girl from New York coping with her parents' recent separation. As she prepares for a belated bat mitzvah, Nevaeh learns more about her mother, her heritage, owning her white passing privilege, and finds her voice through writing. Natasha's wit, admiration and respect for the cultures and religions portrayed, and love affair with Harlem are evident through her ...more
Sonia Hartl
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written and so complex and layered. This book is going to resonate with so many teens. The prose and poetry were just stunning. This is the kind of book you pause a few times during reading so you can just soak up how lovely it is.
Nicole Fegan
Jun 10, 2018
Mack Westwood
Feb 03, 2019
Heidi Heilig
Apr 15, 2018
Donn Ogilvie
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved Color Me In. This story comes at a unique time, and is all the better for it. Natasha firmly placed me in a world that felt real, accessible, and deeply imperfect- with a character whose journey felt singular yet completely relatable. I can't wait for the world to see and relate to this story; the world needs stories like this that seek to challenge misconceptions about race, identity, and our preconceived notions of respectability- and encourage self-love and mutual understanding.
Mallory
Dec 28, 2018
Axel Diaz
Oct 25, 2018
Natasha Diaz
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Melissa
  • The Grief Keeper
  • It's a Whole Spiel
  • All of Us with Wings
  • Last Night at the Telegraph Club
  • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood #1)
  • Tell Me How You Really Feel
  • Hope and Other Punchlines
  • I Love You So Mochi
  • The Mermaid, the Witch and the Sea
  • Symptoms of a Heartbreak
  • Chilling Effect (Untitled, #1)
Natasha Diaz is a freelance writer and producer originally hailing from NYC and currently residing in Oakland, CA. As a screenwriter, Natasha has placed as a quarterfinalist in the Austin Film Festival and a finalist for both the NALIP Diverse Women in Media Fellowship and the Sundance Episodic Story Lab. Her personal essays have been published in The Establishment and The Huffington Post. Natash ...more