Start by marking “The Evolution of Us” as Want to Read:
The Evolution of Us

The Evolution of Us

They say most people meet the person they will marry while in high school. Balancing one another perfectly, Holly Ryan and Declan James were together through most of college—until their relationship blew up, leaving Declan with more questions than answers.

For the past two years, Declan has tried everything he can think of to earn Holly’s forgiveness, but even if he manages
Published October 11th 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Evolution of Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Evolution of Us

Danielle ❤️ Pretty Mess Reading ❤️
****3.5 STARS****

D. Kelly fans asked for a lighter book and that's what they got. As she is known for writing more heavy and heart wrenching books, her fans wanted her to give them a little something more clean , so to speak.

I knew that going in b/c I stalk her on social media. I am a fangirl and I not trying to hide it.

That being said, I let this one hang out on my Kindle for awhile before reading it. I wanted to wait until I was in the mood for a light story. Since I have been working on
San-Dee Keefner
Rejane
Dec 18, 2017 marked it as nope
The hero is so in love with heroine. Lmao.
NOT

Shari Kay
Dec 18, 2017 marked it as not-for-me
book bruin
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an emotional love story that alternates between the past and present to weave together the story of childhood friends to lovers, Declan and Holly. This stand alone second chance romance by D. Kelly had me both laughing and crying at times. I couldn't read the pages fast enough to discover what went wrong between this seemingly perfect pair.

I'm really torn about our hero, Declan. On the one hand, he is incredibly sweet, loving, and thoughtful. On the other, however, he is quick tempered
Taylor Fenner
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Review Originally Posted On: Taylor Fenner's Bookish World

In true D. Kelly fashion (at least from the books I've read by this author) this story flips back and forth between the present and the past. Holly and Declan went to school together, fell in love and were together through college before a drunken misunderstanding ruined everything.

Now Declan will do anything to get Holly back and makes a public declaration of love on his life stream YouTube channel. Holly misses Declan but she's not sur
Kathy Aronoff
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This heartwarming story is full of important lessons. How to treat others; deal with life’s surprises both good and very bad and how one should never jump to conclusions. Most of all the affirmation that love can truly conquer all. Declan and Holly, best friends and soul mates since the age of 14 have been estranged for the past 2 years when we meet them as adults and are taken through their journey going between past and present seamlessly. With the couple’s bff’s Baxter and Sage along for the ...more
Anne Milne
Oct 07, 2017 rated it liked it
For me this book fell flat I just found the premise unbelievably childish.The story is told both in the past and present which I liked as we saw how they became a couple.

Holly and Declan become best friends at a young age and that evolves into love. They leave school, go to college and move into their first flat. I enjoyed this part of the story but then on the back of an overhead conversation he splits up with her and becomes a man whore.

From that point the story lost me, he comes across as c
Erika
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
D. Kelly is a genius of her craft...and this is a genius story

“The Evolution of Us” is such an amazing and beautiful story of Declan and Holly...again...a second chance at love with one another. D. Kelly absolutely nailed it with this book. I was gripped emotionally, mentally, and found myself unable to take my eyes and thoughts away from this incredible love story. It was heartwarming, had me wiping tears at the corner of my eyes, giggling, smiling, caring, wanting...I mean what else could you
☆Tweety ☆
"The Evolution of Us" is the new contemporary romance novel by D. Kelly. Compared to her previous series Just an Illusion, is shorter, but it doesn't mean it isn't as intense. After reading all the books by this author, I can say that she's a guarantee when it comes to this genre.

The Evolution of Us is the story of Declan and Holly, two people who met during their teen years but separated at some point. The book alternates between their POVs and between different moments of their love story with
Doris
Shelves: arc
Friends, secrets, and second chances. Declan and Holly have been best friends since they were young so they knew each other and grew to love each other vowing there would not be anyone or anything that could ever come between them. The only thing was that secrets can destroy some of the strongest relationships, even theirs. Who has the secret that they will not divulge to the other and will separation ever resolve what their real issue really was?

I received this book as an ARC for a freely given
Karen
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it

The Evolution of Us is just another reason I will continue to jump on every opportunity to read and review Ms. Kelly's books. I adored this standalone second-chance romance, even though I had a couple of 'wtb's near the end. ("want to buys" - nothing serious, just a wishlist really)

Let's start with our main couple.

Holly is tired. Tired of living alone, tired of living with secrets, tired of living across the hall from her ex, Declan... yeah, you saw that correctly. After dealing with their crush
Ginny Deffendall
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Read this and other reviews on my blog: The Discerning Couch Potato.

The Evolution of Us is a second chance romance set in present time, but also told through flashbacks to the couple’s teenage years and early twenties. Declan and Holly have been friends since childhood. Then they were lovers. Then a horrible fight broke them up. Declan‘s grief sent him into one hookup after another, trying to forget the love of his life. Now he’s tired of playing around and wants her back.

I’ve read several D. Ke
S.Shade
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-books-read
I had the pleasure of receiving an ARC of this book for an honest review. This is my first book by D. Kelly and I must say that I was highly impressed.

The Evolution of Us is the story of Declan and Holly, two people who became friends as children, fell in love as teenagers, and broke each other as adults. It is told from both Declan and Holly's POV and jumps from past to present, showing us their story over a span of eleven years.

Declan and Holly became neighbors and great friends as children. G
Lisa
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some people are meant to be together and find their way back to each other when the time is right.

I will say that when I started reading, I was sure that I'd missed something because it started midway through them meeting up again. However, once I got through this I quickly realised that this was the author's way of telling the story. It had more impact with Holly rejecting Declan and him declaring his intent. As the story unfolds and we see them become closer together despite Holly's intentions
Chasing Away Reality
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I immediately felt like I knew these characters. Declan and Holly felt like old friends that I’d watched break up, long for each other while they lived in pain for years, and then wanted so desperately to clear the air and finally mend their broken relationship and hearts.

I loved the way the author told Declan and Holly’s story. Not only do we get the dual perspectives, but she expertly wove the past and present together to help us fall in love with these two as a couple both in the beginning an
Dana L Stusse
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*****ARC received for honest review*****

Dee has done it again with her latest, The Evolution of Us, which features the main characters of Declan and Holly who are each other's first loves. They live next door to one another and find an early, "Happily Until" a misunderstanding has them break up for 2 long and painful years. During this time, Declan achieves great success professionally and becomes quite familiar with the ladies. Holly, on the other hand, takes a more subdued approach to moving o
Derna
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
*** I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review ***

The Evolution of Us by D. Kelly was a quick, light read perfect for a lazy afternoon. Holly and Declan were best friends and high school sweetheart, who were together throughout their college years. They were probably the couple who would be voted “most likely to get married”. However, one drunken night full of misunderstanding and secrets suddenly put an end to that quote. And now two years later Declan will do anything he c
Liz
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
D. Kelly is quickly becoming a must-read author for me. The Illusion series is one of my top favorite of all time. In The Evolution of Us we get a second chance romance that is funny, sexy, heartwarming and heartbreaking.

Declan and Holly have been friends since they were fourteen. They went from friends to first love and were together through most of college. Then a misunderstanding causes them to break up.

Apart for two years, Declan has been doing all he can to get Holly back. He wants to show
Lisa White
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
***ARC received in exchange for honest review***

Ms. Kelly has done it again!!! Another amazing story of second chances, friends and growing up.

What I loved about this book is that the the build up of the romance was portrayed in a differently. That you saw their love grow through flashback in the story. The alternating between the past and present was perfect. Just when you have a question of what happened you are thrown into the flashback and you question is answered.

Holly and Declan where high
Kim
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a fast, funny, loving, heart breaking story ALL wrapped into one !! Declan and Holly's story starts out as years of best friends hanging out .. not just them but Baxter and Sage too .. can four individual single friends grow up together with out drama ?? And you know there will be drama in some way in a heart breaking story. When you mix love ❤ friendship and addiction you get The Evolution of Us !!

When one misunderstanding .. assumption .. betrayal .. ever turn around !! But when the h
Becky Rendon
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing

At this moment, I am rocking the biggest, swooniest (totally a new word) grin ever. A happy rolling in glee and unicorn farts kind of smile. The perpetually getting bigger till your face hurts but your too happy to care smile.

The Evolution of Us is an absolute joy to read. It's fun, snarky, and sweet. There's just enough discord to show the "real" of this perfect love story.

Boy next door, first love, and all the awesomeness!

An epic meltdown and years go by. Until a weak moment...

It ma
Holly
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Apparently Goodreads REALLY wants me to work for this review (4th time posting)...

I was thrilled to get my hands on this latest book from D Kelly. I've thoroughly enjoyed the author's other works and am happy to report this one did not disappoint. While very different from her last series (Just an Illusion), Evolution of Us is very well written with fully developed characters.

I encourage you to add this one to your must read list and follow along as Declan tries to win back Holly after an unfort
Le Ann Foster
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
**Reviewed for CherryOBlossoms Promotions**

I gave this book 4.5 stars!!

This book had me with synopsis to find out if Declan could win Holly back. From the start we read about Declan confessing his dying love for Holly on his show and we read that Holly isn't sure if she wants to open that can of hurt again. When Declan makes an offer Holly agrees hesitantly at his attentions. But after a few good weeks and she know that she is going to have to tell him her secret and she is afraid that all the w
Carol
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever said or did something that you regretted, and then was unsure how to fix it. Well Declan and Holly had been friends 1st, then boy/girlfriends for more years, until one of those big misunderstandings. Words said, some misconstrued, feelings hurt, hateful comments, throw in alcohol, and you have horrible consequences bound to happen. Anger, hurt, blame, lies by omission, left to people torn wounded beyond repair, no matter how much love they had for each other. This is a truly amazin ...more
Elaine
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
D. Kelly has out done herself with this book. The Evolution of Us is definitely out of the norm for her. The title of the book is a perfect fit to the story.
You laugh and cry harder. Declan and Holly are the perfect couple until one secret tears them apart!
Will they find their happy ever after? To find out you are going to have to read the book!
Highly recommended read!!!
Coralee Corrigan
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing read.it sucks u in from the beginning and keeps you going to the end of the book.loved it .
Hopelessly Hooked on Books
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don’t know where to start without giving anything away, but this is one of the best reads I’ve read in the past few months. Declan and Holly are perfect for one another, but it takes breaking up for them to get back to each other with open minds. Baxter & Sage(Declan & Holly’s best friends) are forces to be reckoned with and the life of a party!! Lol.
Make up your own mind and read this fantastic story
Stefanie Kral
✯✯5 Second Chance Stars!!!✯✯

A new book by D. Kelly and its another hit! This was a standalone and I couldn't put it down. Most of Dee's books are tear jerkers. This one wasn't, instead I ended up laughing out loud from the main characters and their two best friends.

Holly met Declan when she was 14yrs old. They started out as friends until 16 and dated for years before taking it to the next step. They were together all the way up until middle of college years when they got into a fight over a
JoAnna G
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
*4.5 DecNHolls Stars*

This book...oh this book is on my top ten list this year. I fell in love. I opened it and was so drawn into everything. It told from the past and present. I am usually not a fan of that but it is needed for this book. Its how you get most of the background. You can see how they met and fell in love at the age of 14. Then we get to see the implosion of that relationship. This is a second chance romance that will have you wonder will they or won’t they? Will she forgive or won