Start by marking “Life to the Limit: My Autobiography” as Want to Read:
Life to the Limit: My Autobiography

Life to the Limit: My Autobiography

Jenson Button is one of the greatest racing drivers of his generation. His seventeen years in Formula 1 have seen him experience everything the sport has to offer, from nursing underpowered cars around the track to winning World Championships and everything in between.

Here, Jenson tells his full story for the first time in his own honest, intelligent and eloquent style. Fr
Published October 19th 2017 by Blink Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Life to the Limit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life to the Limit

Leah
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My GoodReads folks may not know this, but I am a massive Formula 1 fan. I have been watching since mid-2005, and despite the fact Fernando Alonso hasn't won a thing for what seems like donkeys years, and I hate the fact only one team seems to win at the moment (or one driver *side eyes at Bottas*), I still watch it. There's something about the sport that keeps me coming back, even when I get furious and say I'm never going to watch another race, ever. Rest assured, I will watch the next race.

One
Jenny in Neverland
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, non-fiction
If you know me at all, you will know that there’s two things I absolutely adore. Books and Formula 1. Books and reading have been a life-long love of mine, ever since I was too young to remember. Formula 1 is a relatively new crush, having only been introduced to it really within the last 3 years but 3 years could easily be 33 because I have enveloped myself in Formula 1 ever since my boyfriend introduced me to it and I’ve wanted to watch and learn and read everything I can about it. Now, I neve ...more
Belinda
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
As a huge fan of Jenson Button's I was really looking forward to reading this book and it obviously didn't disappoint. Jenson gives a great insight into the world of Formula 1 and the circus that surrounds it. But not only that you get a look into his life growing up and as he moved through the ranks of Motorsport. There is also a couple of touching chapters that play tribute to his late father and how the impact of losing him shook Jenson to the core.

There is a bit of technical talk, so it doe
Jani
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My love of F1 combined with reading couldn’t have asked for anything better! Loved getting to know JB better and an insight into the life of an F1 driver. Goes through so many highs and lows and thoroughly engaging throughout. Would highly recommend even if your not a fan of JB / F1. Loved listening to it on audio and even though it’s not read by JB he writes the exact same way he talks so his distinct voice is still there.
Colin Murtagh
I’ve always had a soft spot for JB. It may sound a strange thing to say about a former world champion but I’ve never felt he got the respect he deserved so I was interested to see what he’d have to say. While he may be being a bit diplomatic at times, you can hear his voice through the book, it doesn’t sound ghost written, it feels like his words put on paper.
While this is Jensons book, it’s really the story of two men, JB and his dad. His love and respect for the old man as he calls him shines
Jamie Bowen
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
A bit more than your normal sports biography but it does tend to become one of them roll out the results page towards the end. There were some interesting facts and viewpoints that I wasn't aware of. Overall an enjoyable read, chapters are small bite size chunks which makes the pages turn quite quickly.
Danny
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very cool book about JB, very under appreciated driver in F1. JB seems like a laugh to hang out with.
Jacqueline Williams
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Loved it didn't want the book to end. Jenson was my favourite driver since 2004. I have fallen out of love with F1 even before he retired, so reading this reminded me of the exciting years, where fortnightly on a Sunday it was race day.
I'm always scared to read a book on someone you like, it can mean the end when you get an insight, but not this time - still a top chap.
ben adams
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome

A great read , enjoyed every minute of this . A must for any motor racing fan. A great insight into f1
Kelli Francis
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been a massive F1 fan for years but was never really enamoured by JB - I’ve always felt he was very overrated - so was actually really looking forward to this book to see if my opinion of him has changed.

If you like complex, detailed autobiographies then this probably isn’t for you - it’s short, snappy and doesn’t go into a massive amount of detail.

It does however talk a lot about the close relationship he shared with his father, ‘Papa Smurf’ and the loss of motivation he felt after losing
Ryan Simpson
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Sports autobiographies aren't always the most insightful, but this was terrible, just a boring retrospective of his career. Barely a mention of his life away from racing, relationships, even a marriage reduced to a few sentences. Entire seasons of racing are glossed over, the McLaren Honda debacle condensed to a few paragraphs, and Honda not even mentioned for McLaren's recent woes, probably an attempt to keep doors open for a future racing career with them. Don't waste your money on this.
Eleanor Greenwood
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I had to sit on this for a little while before I could give it a rating and write anything about it, because the last fifth or so of the book is much better - and much more emotional - than everything that went before it. It would have been really easy to give it four or even five stars based on that alone, which would have been the case had I reviewed it straight away. To be honest, I think he could have written the whole thing on the death of his father, as - understandably - there are clearly ...more
Alan Commaille
This is not a typical sports biography!

A typical sports biography is one where the athlete tells you in some detail how they started. They then briefly tell you what minor categories they graced, followed by a blow-by-blow account of their career in the top flight. Therefore, a typical biography of a racing driver contains much karting, a very brief yet glorious career in junior formulae, followed by a detailed account of their Grand Prix career. Sometimes there may be stats. I've seen it!

Not he
korina
Oct 27, 2017 added it
I have nothing but words of praise for this one.* Emotional when needed be, funny in countless places. All of the times when Jenson even might've had a rough time in his career are countered by the effortless love he's got for this sport. It was a breeze to get through and a truly interesting read.

It was Mark Webber's autobiography that I said has really great parts about how being in the car feels like, and this one has numerous really brilliant parts about the technical side of the whole thing
Brendan Crowley
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sport
Life to the Limits is the story of Button’s relationship with motorsport and with his father. It isn’t just about his F1 glory days – it’s about the trials and tribulations it took to get there. Its an enjoyable read and an inside look into a world that seems so captivating from the outside.

It begins with Button’s karting days, when he and his dad would travel the length of the UK competing. He goes through his career through each of the levels and formulas, becoming F1 champion with Brawn befo
Megan Jones
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jenson Button's seventeen years in Formula 1 have seen him nursing underpowered cars around the track to winning World Championships and everything in between. Here, Jenson tells his story, from growing up in a motor-racing-mad family under the guidance of his father, John, to arriving at Williams as a fresh-faced 20 year-old, to being written off as a playboy and his fight back to the pinnacle of his sport. Jenson reveals his thoughts on some of the biggest names in Formula 1 and tells you what ...more
Xoán Vázquez Del Pozo
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Whilst I can't say I'm a massive fan of F1, I went in open minded to see what Button was all about.

I must say it was very interesting about what it takes to become an F1 driver, especially the formative karting years and the dedication when most teenagers are out partying to stay focussed.

My main criticism is that Button glances over anything really personal. I.e. casually drops an abortion in for all of half a line and that was that. That's a pretty big deal, some emotion is expected.

Then there
Ibrar Malik
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Useful research for my upcoming book www.1994f1.com

This ever popular F1 statesmen says it how it was. He is not afraid of giving his view on his less favoured team bosses, like Flavio. Team mates come under the same scrutiny, and yes over three years he scored more points than team mate Hamilton. Villeneuve comes in for some crtiticism but eventually they found common ground.

His relationship with his father is the enduring theme. The account of his death was very sad.
A great driver and like Mans
El
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographies, 2018
This is probably the best of the few Formula 1 related biographies I have read. It's not my main hobby, I only watch the free-to-air stuff and have never been to an actual F1 race. But I did kind of see Jenson go past at 150mph on the Goodwood track in 2014, and he's one of my favourite all-time drivers, for sure. And that 2009 Brawn GP car is sexy as hell.

The style of the book is light-hearted and fun, much like the man himself. Obviously, there are some dark periods which have been well played
Stephanie
‘Life to the Limit’ is the autobiography of British Formula 1 driver Jenson Button. It follows from his childhood roots in karting through his racing career, F1 to retirement.

It’s a very racing-focused book. It’s obviously for F1 fans, and it’s interesting to hear his real opinions of things as opposed to the media-tamed version we got throughout his career. His tongue is a lot sharper and he’s very funny at times.

That being said there isn’t much about his personal life. It’s touches only brie
Andrei_k
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was written by a ghost-writer – "On the book front, a massive thanks to Andrew Holmes, the ‘Ayrton Senna’ of the page, who has put in an incredible shift."

Very interesting reading in the first half (was funny to know Jenson loved Super Mario Kart and The Prodigy's "Music for the Jilted Generation", collected Corgi toy cars and other stuff like that) and then everything crumbles after just a couple of lines about so called Buttongate 2005 and BAR 007's fuel tanks controversy. I wanted to
Neil
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Only read this because I ran out of books on holiday and borrowed this from a friend, but I’m glad I did as it’s not something I’d have chosen otherwise and I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would! I was a casual fan of F1 when I was younger but haven’t followed it for years, but Jenson’s recounting of his early F1 life brought back all the names I remember and I fully intend to get back into it now!

It’s not amazingly well written but it’s an interesting view into a completely different wo
Gordon Ralph
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a good read indeed ! ive always liked Jenson and this book sure shows what a truly decent guy he is......You can sure tell that he wrote it himself that shines through the pages. The love he had/has for his father is sure evident and I must admit to a tear or two reading the details of his passing. I would like to thank JB for this brilliant book the frankness and behind the scenes of motor racing was very interesting indeed and sure shows the hard work he had to put in to achieve his world ...more
Martin
Jan 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed part one getting to know how JB became such a good and respected driver. Watching F1 over the years, I did not need the yearly stats of each race, which could have had all the information in charts per year.
The book had no emotion until late part 3. Just facts, figures and parties.
Overall I got bored and had to self motivate to finish. No disrespect to Jenson, his achievements impress but, what about after F1, just a few lines as to Triathlons and relationships. Not a deep enough, for
Balazs Faluvegi
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's impossible not to like this guy, and this makes his book way more easy to read. I especially liked the parts of the early days, his childhood, and the years leading to Formula 1. Still hard to believe the first phone call's content with Frank Williams, though. Jenson also handles his personal story about his background, relationship with his father and other family members with such an ease, that we can admire, without giving out too much of his (and family's) privacy. A bit on the downside ...more
Amanda
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would give 4.5 stars if possible. Nicely written. As a newer F1 fan (first race I went to was in 2007), it was fun to learn more about other racers like DC than what I already knew. It was also interesting to hear what Jenson thought about things that us fans get frustrated with/about.
As an auto crosser and hopefully soon track driver, I appreciated the detailed information about driving specifics like oversteer, downforce, etc.
As a runner, I was hoping it would go into more detail about the dr
Ian
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Racing drivers are a strange breed, highly motivated, strongly focused on a goal. Often this comes at the expense of other areas of their lives. What you get from this book is that while Button undoubtedly has that desire to win, he's also enjoying himself.

The book is written in a very accessible, chatty, style with short chapters and doesn't get bogged down in too much technical detail. What comes across strongly is Jenson's bond with his father, the man who started him on the path into motorsp
Raphael
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing and I really because there were lodes of facts that I did not know before. If you like Formula 1 then you will enjoy it. I gave it a 5 stars because I enjoyed the hard work he put in and the support he had on is difficult journey to be a good racing driver. Jenson is a hard working person and is amazingly good at the sport he does. If you enjoy this book I advice you to read the book called Lewis Hamilton because its similar to this book.

Hope you enjoy the book .
Sue Wright
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved it but then I would as a big fan of JB and F1. I agree with others in that you can hear him talking all the way through so it was not ghost written. It is full of everything you need to know about his journey from small boy playing cars on the landing to eventual retirement from F1 and all the emotions, testing trials and successes along the way. It is moving, funny and serious at times and a real insight into the relationships and frustrations of F1. Can't wait to see the next stage of ...more
Shane Galway
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I used to be a huge fan of Formula 1 as a kid, but stopped following in the late 2000s when it started to get boring and contrived. Having read Jenson's autobiography, I'm interested again. Not because the sport itself has improved (it's different in every way imaginable and unrecognisable to me now) but because Jenson's look into the world of F1 and his career is candid, easy to read, and interesting. I particularly enjoyed the sections he describes the techniques and more technical aspects of ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Watching the Wheels: My Autobiography
  • Total Competition: Lessons in Strategy from Formula One
  • How to Build a Car: The Autobiography of the World’s Greatest Formula 1 Designer
  • Murray Walker: Unless I'm Very Much Mistaken
  • Aussie Grit: My Formula One Journey
  • The Racer: Life on the Road as a Pro Cyclist
  • The Life of Senna
  • The Mechanic: The Secret World of the F1 Pitlane
  • Pushing the Limits
  • In Search of Robert Millar: Unravelling the Mystery Surrounding Britain's Most Successful Tour De France Cyclist
  • The Fall of the House of Fifa: The Multimillion-Dollar Corruption at the Heart of Global Soccer
  • Michael Schumacher
  • Triumphs and Turbulence: My Autobiography
  • No Angel: The Secret Life of Bernie Ecclestone
  • Swim, Bike, Run: Our Triathlon Story
  • The Limit: Life and Death on the 1961 Grand Prix Circuit
  • Flying Scotsman: Cycling to Triumph Through My Darkest Hours
  • The World of Cycling According to G
“I’d joined Paul’s team, GKS, in 1995 when I moved into Formula A. It was a great team, where I found myself temporary teammates with Sophie Kumpen, who was dating Jos Verstappen and two years later had a baby with him. In other words, I raced with Max Verstappen’s mum, which is one of those things, like policemen getting younger, that you try not to think about. Later I got to race with Jos and Max, so I’ve got the full house there.” 0 likes