Start by marking “A Relic to Die For (Books to Die For Book 5)” as Want to Read:
A Relic to Die For (Books to Die For Book 5)

(To Die For #5)

The crime solving trio of the Books To Die For series is back to solve another who dun it. This time Bonnie's nephew discovers family relics for sale online belonging to his great, great grandfather who was buried 150 years ago on the family farm. Jake is hired to check out the grave of Captain Howard Scott on the Southern Missouri homestead. The investigation lands Jake i ...more
Published July 28th 2017 by Books to Die For Press

To ask other readers questions about A Relic to Die For, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Relic to Die For

Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I accidentally read the last book first, in this case, I never realized it however, as the book kept my attention throughout.

A man and his dog are in Southern Missouri on a case. His friend, Bonnie's sister, Margot has hired him to find her husband's late great, great grandfather's civil war relics. Jake finds the grave site of the plundered war hero, however, he also finds a newly dug grave, as he falls in...

This mystery is full of suspects and unusual situations that Jake and Fred (the dog,)
Cindy
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Cozy but not entirely clean.

Plotted well, likable cast, twists enough for interest, some graphic body reactions in earlier chapters might put some off (me as well) graphics aren’t necessary for plot development as we’ve learned from TV. Would’ve rated it a 4 w/o that baggage. Recommended with aforementioned warnings.
Timothy Glass
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Relic to Die For
I enjoyed the reader’s journey with this book. As a lover of dogs, I especially love any book with a pup in the mix of things.
The characters are colorful. One can almost picture being there, seeing and hearing what they are doing and saying.
In this volume, Jake has been hired by the family of a Civil War veteran to find a Civil War sword. As in all the books, Jake and his canine companion, Fred, get into more sticky issues than they bargained for.
Mary
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The latest book by Richard Houston, "A Relic to Die For" does not disappoint. All of the main characters are there, Jake, Fred, Bonnie, and even Bonnie's long suffering sister, Margot. The only thing I found myself missing was Jake's Rocky Mountain home and his descriptions of living in the Rockies.

As in Houston's previous books, this yarn had all of the elements, a murder mystery, a bit of romance, and my favorite, the wonderful interactions Jake has with his animals, Fred, his golden retriever
Jan
Well written engaging mystery with lots of interesting characters, the ones you love and the ones you love to despise. Jake and most of his friends live in Colorado, but he is asked to go to Missouri to find out about a probable robbery of the grave of a Civil War ancestor. Let the body count begin! It's a good thing that the local sheriff knows and likes Jake and his brilliant Golden Retriever Fred from a previous case or things could get even messier. This is the first that I've read of this s ...more
Peggy McAloon
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jake and Bonnie are at it again in this rollicking mystery surrounding Captain Howard Scott's Grave. The golden, Fred, has his paws full as he tries to push Jake toward the biggest clues. It all begins when Bonnie's nephew discovers a family war relic online. (Surely, he has something better to do than surf the web!)

How could Jake not become involved after finding himself in an open grave in the middle of the night next to the cemetery?

The book is fast-paced.

I enjoyed the characters. The book
Jean
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Friendly Mysteries

Cozy Mysteries are pink and frilly , not these. I think of them more as a friendly experience.
Why ? Probably because the narrator , Jake , tells his story as one might tell a friend over a coffee .
Not that they lack danger and mystery .There is always a complicated case to solve and usually more than one killer to trap.
The style is cool , laid back and above all , confidential and friendly.
How could it be other than that with a big lovable golden retriever orchestrating the ac
Suzi
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this series!

It could have something to do with the golden retriever who helps with the solving of more than one mystery or the bourbon drinking elderly best friend, but I really think it has more to do with the combination of a weaving of great story telling, good plot, and great 'characters'! Thank you Mr Houston once again for another lovely read. I wait somewhat patiently for the next book in this series.
Megan
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun Read

First book I have read by this author. When I first starting reading, I wasn't too thrilled.. However I kept reading, and the more I read, the more I enjoyed the book. Then remembered this was the fifth book of the series, so missed the introduction of all the main characters (except the cat). All that said, I thoroughly enjoyed his writing and story telling. I just ordered books 1-3 so I can be introduced to the main characters!
P.E. Sibley
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I would have given this novel 4 stars, but I found a major mistake in character names. An uncle of one of the characters is named Mike at one point, but after he's murdered suddenly, his name is Al. I even went back and checked that I hadn't glossed over it in reading. Going back on a Kindle is a pain, but I did it anyway. Yep, the name was Mike first. This is a problem with editing, and keeping track of your characters. Hence, the 3 stars.
Diana
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Free and Jake

Fred and Jake are in Missouri doing some work for Bonnie's sister which always leads to trouble. They find a corpse inside an open rave and are accused of murder by the new female deputy who happens to turn Jake on.I
Another whodunit but in a different place were people don't know them. After Margot buys the old homestead more read bodies turn up.
I love the stories and hate to see them end.
wendi wigham
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Poor Fred!

Another excellent book in this series. Jake seems to attract trouble, this time a collection of bodies, a a result of an EBay auction.
A new love interest for Jake & a new feline friend for Fred.
Jake solves the homicides, resulting in the killer shooting Fred..
These books have a beginning, a middle & an end, no guessing what happened next, but the person who eventually turns out to be the killer is never obvious.
A thoroughly enjoyable book.
Rosemary Hughes
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We return to the stomping grounds in book 1, and some of the characters we met then. This time it is greed over civil war relics that have someone killing people left right and centre. Jake Martin, Bonnie Jones and superdog, Fred is in the middle of the drama.
All very enthralling, as to how and why a murderer does what they do, for what appears easy gain.
Off course, the narrator adds that extra wham to a great story, with the various characters vocalizations.
Robert L. Sours
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not really a 5, but these books grow on you.

This series is an acquired taste, if Fred the dog wasn't in it. I'd probably rate it a 2. These books are the kind you look forward to just for pure fun and relaxing entertainment. Go ahead and give him a shot, they're not expensive. I think you'll be glad you did
Beverly Carter
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fred makes this book!

Loved the banter between Jack and his golden retriever Fred! Great mystery and couldn't figure it out until Jack unfolded it at the end. Gave it four stars because it was hard for me to keep up with all of the characters.
Linda Zelinsky
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another suspense filled story wish Fred the dog. Richard keeps his stories filled with anticipation of who did it. Loved how each incident feeds off each other. Again very entertaining and looking forward to book 6.
Deb
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great story about Fred, the Golden Retriever!

Love the author’s characters and settings. Another murder mystery solved by an amateur sleuth, Jake, and his faithful dog, Fred.
Suzan
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
I would have liked to give this book a 2.5, It is a clean cozy mystery. The sidekick is a dog. I just really didn't like the main character and how he treats his dog. This is the first book in this series that I have read. This book is the 5th in this series but works as a stand alone book too.
Clara M
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Relic to Die For

Another great mystery with Fred, the Golden Retriever, and his owner whatever his name is! I like the way the dog finds all the clues but the human gets all the credits, solving the murders!
Anne Murphy
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Golden retrievers

I am a big dog lover andi absolutely loved this book. Anyonethat loves animalskniws that they arr not dumb and this writer knew that. Wrll done. I woukdlove to tead more of his books
Peggy
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Relic to Die For(Books to Die for Book 5

This was a pretty good book I had no idea who had committed all the murders. I am not that good at figuring out how or why evidently. It was a good read
Yvonne Meyer
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good book

Another good book by this author! I am looking forward to more books in this series. Fred will melt your heart . I recommend reading the box set of the first three books in this series first.
Suzanne Page
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. I love the entire series. I highly recommend it!!
Lizette Vega
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
A cozy mystery that is a bit slow. There are cuss words and sexual overtures, but nothing explicit. Other than that it is a cozy mystery. I'd like to see more of the dog in action.
ann pac
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a cute story about a man and his dog and how they solve murders. It is not a literary masterpiece but it holds your interest from start to finish.
Ron Hogan
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good who done it

Interesting story with several characters to choose who did the crime(s) Many humorous parts throughout. Easy read for those who like cozy mysteries.
Marlene Shofner-Daves
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome.

I love reading these stories about Fred & his advenetures with sam & Bonnie
& the outlaw people they meet up with.
Brenda L Loyd
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just finished it, couldn't put it down. Kept me guessing until the end. Loved Fred, he adds so much to the story. Can't wait for another one by this author.
Jewett
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay mystery and okay characters but nothing special.
Susan Emashowski
Loved this series. The characters are great. The stories are fun, sad and everything in between.

• Behind Secrets, Murder in Maitland (Madison Hart Mystery, #4 )
  • Saving Us (Paradise Taken, #2)
  • Surviving For Us
  • Living for Today (Forgotten #2)
  • Done (In the Dark, #1)
  • Forgive Us Our Trespasses (Redemption, #1)
  • You Can Do It: Health, wellness, and healthy living for those who have tried everything else
  • One Last Sin (The Sin Trilogy, #3)
  • Joe: the Horse Nobody Loved (The Burton's Farm #1)
  • Fatal, Family, Album (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery #13)
  • Slashed (Oil Apocalypse, #1)
  • Texas Troubles (Ollie Stratford Mystery #1)
  • Drool Baby (Lia Anderson Dog Park Mysteries, #2)
  • The Cat of Christmas Future (Whales and Tails Mystery #14)
  • Just Follow The Money (Hetta Coffey Mystery, #9)
Richard is working on his third career. His first was as a carpenter and roofer for twenty years while working his way through college. With a BS in Math he spent the next twenty-five years as a successful software engineer by working on the Space Shuttle at both Vandenberg AFB, and Johnson Space Center. He then went on to start Master Mind SofTools where he developed software for fortune 500 comp ...more

To Die For (6 books)
  • A View to Die For (To Die For series, #1)
  • A Book to Die for (To Die For series, #2)
  • A Treasure to Die For
  • Letters to Die For (To Die For #4)
  • A Secret to Die For (Books to Die For Book 6)