Start by marking “No Country for Old Gnomes (The Tales of Pell, #2)” as Want to Read:
No Country for Old Gnomes (The Tales of Pell, #2)

No Country for Old Gnomes

(The Tales of Pell #2)

Go big or go gnome. The New York Times bestselling authors of Kill the Farm Boy return to the world of Pell, the irreverent fantasy universe that recalls Monty Python and Terry Pratchett.

The Skyr is a rich, verdant land claimed by both halflings and gnomes. For centuries, the halflings have worked to undermine gnomish power structures and seize total control--through legal
Published April 16th 2019 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about No Country for Old Gnomes, please sign up.
Joe No, there is going to be at least 3 books. KIll the Farm Boy, No Country for Old Gnomes and The Princess Beard.
Katreniah You can, but there will be little things that you'll miss along the way - I don't know that you'll feel like you're missing out, but you'll definitely…moreYou can, but there will be little things that you'll miss along the way - I don't know that you'll feel like you're missing out, but you'll definitely enjoy it more if you read the first book.(less)

Start your review of No Country for Old Gnomes (The Tales of Pell, #2)
J. Treader
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I love this series so much.
Dianne
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Looking for some fantasy that is far off the beaten path? Quirky, humorous and filled with clichés, NO COUNTRY FOR OLD GNOMES by Delilah S. Dawson and Kevin Hearne is whimsy at its best and is either going to nail your funny bone or send your eyes rolling skyward.

Halfings with an organized crime unit, gnomes being displaced, forced from their homes and the power they once enjoyed. Can the King Gustave the Goat save his kingdom from ruin or is it time to usher in a different world?

Some will ventu
Lauren Stoolfire
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humor
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

No Country For Old Gnomes (The Tales of Pell #2) is the hilariously awesome sequel to Kill the Farm Boy. This time around we're following the gnomes of Skyr as they attempt to retake their home from the halflings. Gustave is about to face his first real test as the Goat King - will he bring peace or civil war to the kingdom. I can't believe I got approved for this on NetGalley. Book one was absolutely hilarious and exactly my thin
☕️Kimberly
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Narrated by Luke Daniels, I once again found myself in the land of Pell a fantastical kingdom filled with mystical creatures as a group of quirky characters band together on an honorable quest. We will meet many new faces beginning with Offi, a gnome whose land is under attack and see some familiar faces like King Gustave.

From their play on words, to twists on beloved tales such as Macbeth, Dawson and Hearne quickly pulled me in once all the players joined up. As with the first, I found it best
Elizabeth Tabler
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for my open and honest review.

"Red sky before night, no need for a fight. Red sky at dawn, don’t yawn. Halflings probably set your barn afire, so gather your war ponies, tie back their manes, and attack–then, my good gnomes, you burn them back.”
Gnute Yakkin, in The Compendium of Gnomeric Resistance Rhymes

First, let me say that I have a deep and intense love of humor, satire, and cheekiness. I am a smart ass in the most profou
Kelly
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks, read-in-2019
I...don't know how to admit this so I'm just going to say it: I might have unconsciously started speaking in umlauts after reading this book. RESPECT THE UMLAUT!

But seriously. No, I'm kidding about seriousness. This book is a quagmire of word play and in-jokes and it is GLORIOUS. Goats who become kings and egregious feuds nobody remembers the beginning of and witches and ghosts and dentally-minded vampires. Plus, you know, gnomes and halflings.

A little death. A little destruction of property. A
Robin Bonne
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars. I had a lot more difficulty getting into this sequel than I was expecting. I loved the first book and found it to be a witty satire of the fantasy genre. The jokes were similar, but didn’t feel as fresh to me this time around. I received this on NetGalley last fall, but couldn’t get past the first few chapters. I waited until the book was released to try listening to the audiobook. While I was able to finish it this time, I don’t know if I’ll want to continue with the series.

Thanks t
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
No Country for Old Gnomes is the second tale set in the fantastical kingdom of Pell, a land filled with mythical creatures, silly misfortune, and heroic deeds. This time around, gnomes are under attack by the drubs, a halfing gang known as Dastardly Rogues Under Bigly-Wicke. After his gnomeric home is bombed, Offi and his family head to a refugee center, where he meets up with a motley crew of unlikely heroes. Together, the merry band sets off to find the king and restore law and order to the la ...more
Janet Newport
Thank you NetGalley and Random House Publishing Group for this arc.

This was a whimsical, fantastical read that should have taken less time to finish. But I just had to keep putting it down to laugh. As I'm not really a belly-laugher, my husband also kept checking in on me to make sure I was okay. He ended up laughing along with me and slowed me down even further.
I have not read the first book of Pell Tales so this was read as a stand alone for me (but I am looking forward to getting my hands on
Jonah ❤️LIBROCUBICULARIST❤️
Silly little gnomes, fantasies for kids! I am such a sucker for children’s fantasy books.

Thanks to NetGalley and publisher for the copy!
Mike
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
I generally only post reviews of books if I love them, or they really challenge me in some way, but I got an ARC of this so review it I shall.

Meh.

The first book in the series was also meh. It was mostly along the lines of a satire as done by the Scary Movie guys - various pop culture references and plenty of leaning on the 4th wall, but no real bite to it the way someone like Pratchett does satire. This was in the same ball park.

On the whole I think I liked it better. The characters were deeper,
Athena (OneReadingNurse)
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you so much to Del Rey Books (Random House - Ballantine) and NetGalley for the e-ARC of No Country for Old Gnomes! Received for free in exchange for an honest review.

Honestly - I loved this sequel so much more than Kill the Farm Boy. Hearne and Dawson outdid themselves on the puns, umlauts, gnomerisms, and general insanity - but also managed to tell a pretty dark story underneath it all.

A new motley crew of heroes find each other on the path to set right the atrocities being committed to t
Tina
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC.
3.75 Stars
No Country for Old Gnomes is the second book in the Tales of Pell trilogy. If you haven't read the first (Kill the Farm Boy), you should, but it's not necessary to enjoy this installment. In this story we follow Gnomes, Halflings, Sheep-people, and Dwarfs on an adventure to... well, you should read it and find out.
This book is a wonderfully funny satire on fairy tales, with a ton of pop culture references, puns, and good old fashion
Amber
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy of this e-book ARC from the author, publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

When two dwarf brothers are sent away from their homes from evil halflings, they team up with a group of crazy and silly creatures to try and save their home and Skyr from them. Will they succeed? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good and silly fantasy novel. If you enjoy these types of books, be sure to check this book out available now at your local li
Becky
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Well, I was crying tears of sorrow and happiness at the end of this book, which is pretty wild since most of the ride is a heartful romp (even when it does tacitly point us to the most heartbreaking woes we see in the news). I guess I didn't realize how much each character meant to me until the end, and each one DID mean something to me. An excellent sequel.
Tracy
Mar 21, 2020 rated it liked it
I enjoyed number 3 so much that I came back to read number 2....but the cast of characters was so big for me that I kept thinking, ok, now this one is a what? gnome, halfing? which I think is like a hobbit? A lot of cute ideas, but really busy and tiring to read
Sarah Collins
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Punny to the last drop! A laugh out loud romp full of ridiculousness at every turn. Can't wait for more.
Jay
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it
A marked improvement over the first in this series, less aggressively juvenile and a bit more nuanced. The new leads aren't quite as charming as the original crew (who make appearances), but the world is a little richer. Still, like many fantasy/comedies, it gets a little cloying.
This is a charming series, but nothing groundbreaking. Not quite parody but certainly not a straight take, it ain't Discworld, but still a notch above Xanth. Absolutely worth a look or listen for light-hearted genre fan
Brittany
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Free ARC provided through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Review:
I read the Iron Druid chronicles from Kevin Hearne last year and loved it, so when I saw this on NetGalley, I just knew I had to read it! I am a first time reader of Delilah S. Dawson, and I’m already a new fan. Although the Tales from Pell series is vastly different from Iron Druid, it still has the witty humor that I’ve come to expect from Kevin Hearne. In fact, No Country for Old Gnomes is by far even funnier.

“Mother
Andrew
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG, listen to the audiobook for the full effect. One of the funniest books I’ve ever read/listened to.
Suzanne
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, netgalley, fantasy
I got a copy of this book from netgalley and was happy to get a chance to read and review it. I'd read Kill the Farm Boy, and this is a sequel, but it could also stand by itself well - we see some of the "Farm Boy" characters, but the main characters in this one are new, and I really liked them. The primary conflict is between the inventive gnomes, and the halflings who are trying to take over We also meet a dwarf, a gryphon, a part sheep, and others, in a punny quest.
WS_BOOKCLUB
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley and Random House Publishing Group for providing me with this ARC in exchange for my honest opinion. This book will be available for purchase on April 16th of this year.

I was so excited to receive this book, because I loved the first book in the Pell series (Kill the Farm Boy). I was hopeful that this would continue in the fun vein of the first, and I was not disappointed.

This fantastic book not only turns classic fantasy tropes upside down, it shakes their pockets for loo
Kim McGee
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I purposely read this in short bursts dragging out the time I had to finish for one simple reason - I couldn't bear for it to end. This hysterical tome is like Monty Python and THE PRINCESS BRIDE on steroids. In a land far away poor defenseless gnomes are being burned out of their homes and terrorized by despicable halflings (insert shudder here). It will take a ragtag group of gnomes, dwarves, a gryphon with a passion for omelets, an automaatti and a reformed halfling to bring the good creature ...more
Adam Duclos
Jun 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Hobart
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
★ ★ ★ ★ 1/2 (rounded up)
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
As much as I loved 2018's Kill the Farm Boy -- and talked about it everywhere and repeatedly -- I wasn't sure how much I really wanted to pick up the sequel. There's no way it would be as good, the humor would be a little stale, and the whole approach wouldn't seem as novel. Still, I knew curiosity would get the better of me -- and it'd still have its moments. Also, I'm not at the point where I can live in a world w
Dee
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
This review was originally posted on my review blog Deanna Reads Books
No Country for Old Gnomes is Book Two in the Tales Pell series by authors Delilah S. Dawson and Kevin Hearne. I was really excited to get my hands on an advanced copy of this book, but I hate to admit it that I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the first book.

Don't get me wrong, I still think this is a fun book, but for me a lot of the great things about the first book were the puns and comedy. I felt like the jokes didn
Jason S Wrench
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
No Country for Old Gnomes is the second book in The Tales of Pell (Kill the Farm Boy was the first book).

First, it's important to understand that this is not a sequel in the traditional sense. Meaning that you will not jump right into more adventures with all of your favorite characters from the first book. Although the book has all of the main characters from the first book at some point, this is not their story. Instead, this book is about a couple of gnomes, a dwarf, a griffin, a halfling, a
Alyssa (Sweetkokoro)
Well there wasn’t as many poop jokes this time around, but there was still some so, you know, ehh..

Overall, this was pretty bland and boring. This book really lacked that character building that I loved in the first one. Each of the characters just kind of fell flat for me, and some even felt like they disappeared from the scenes even though they were in them. The group this time just felt very forced and unconnected.

I love gnomes so I was really looking forward to there being gnomes but I wasn
Baige Bell
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I (mostly) loved this way more than Kill the Farm Boy (until the end. Curse you, Kevin Hearne and Delilah S. Dawson. You know what you did!).

I would compare Kill the Farm Boy with the first season of The Office/Parks and Rec, when the creators/directors didn't love the characters--they were just going for comedy and they treated their characters as objects? Or at least with less dignity than we'd see in a "serious" show. By season two, however, the writers had fallen in love with the characters
MsArdychan
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Please Note: I received an advance copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This did not influence the opinions of my review in any way.

The first book in this series, Kill The Farm Boy, was a fun romp incorporating several fairy tales. No Country for Old Gnomes continues the pun-filled collaboration of
authors Delilah S. Dawson and Kevin Hearne. Although both books are set in the same universe, only a few of the characters from the first book appear in the second.

I enjoyed the m

• First Dangle and Other Stories
  • Death & Honey
  • A Blight of Blackwings (Seven Kennings, #2)
  • Ink & Sigil (Ink & Sigil, #1)
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
  • How Rory Thorne Destroyed the Multiverse (The Thorne Chronicles, #1)
  • Shakespeare for Squirrels
  • An Orc on the Wild Side
  • Highfire
  • Magic for Liars
  • Upright Women Wanted
  • Imaginary Numbers (InCryptid, #9)
  • The Grand Dark
  • Middlegame (Middlegame, #1)
  • The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
  • The Sinister Mystery of the Mesmerizing Girl (The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club, #3)
  • Peace Talks (The Dresden Files, #16)
  • Reticence (Custard Protocol, #4)
Delilah S. Dawson is the New York Times-bestselling author of Star Wars: Phasma, Black Spire: Galaxy's Edge, and The Perfect Weapon. With Kevin Hearne, she writes the Tales of Pell. As Lila Bowen, she writes the Shadow series, beginning with Wake of Vultures. Her other books include the Blud series, the Hit series, and Servants of the Storm.

She's written comics in the worlds of Marvel Action: Spid

The Tales of Pell (3 books)
  • Kill the Farm Boy (The Tales of Pell, #1)
  • The Princess Beard (The Tales of Pell, #3)