Start by marking “No Country for Old Gnomes (The Tales of Pell, #2)” as Want to Read:
No Country for Old Gnomes (The Tales of Pell, #2)

No Country for Old Gnomes

(The Tales of Pell #2)

Go big or go gnome. The New York Times bestselling authors of Kill the Farm Boy return to the world of Pell, the irreverent fantasy universe that recalls Monty Python and Terry Pratchett.

The Skyr is a rich, verdant land claimed by both halflings and gnomes. For centuries, the halflings have worked to undermine gnomish power structures and seize total control--through legal
Published April 16th 2019 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about No Country for Old Gnomes, please sign up.
Joseph Zak Bailey No, there is going to be at least 3 books. KIll the Farm Boy, No Country for Old Gnomes and The Princess Beard.

Lauren Stoolfire
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humor
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

No Country For Old Gnomes (The Tales of Pell #2) is the hilariously awesome sequel to Kill the Farm Boy. This time around we're following the gnomes of Skyr as they attempt to retake their home from the halflings. Gustave is about to face his first real test as the Goat King - will he bring peace or civil war to the kingdom. I can't believe I got approved for this on NetGalley. Book one was absolutely hilarious and exactly my thin
Dianne
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Looking for some fantasy that is far off the beaten path? Quirky, humorous and filled with clichés, NO COUNTRY FOR OLD GNOMES by Delilah S. Dawson and Kevin Hearne is whimsy at its best and is either going to nail your funny bone or send your eyes rolling skyward.

Halfings with an organized crime unit, gnomes being displaced, forced from their homes and the power they once enjoyed. Can the King Gustave the Goat save his kingdom from ruin or is it time to usher in a different world?

Some will ventu
Elizabeth
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for my open and honest review.

"Red sky before night, no need for a fight. Red sky at dawn, don’t yawn. Halflings probably set your barn afire, so gather your war ponies, tie back their manes, and attack–then, my good gnomes, you burn them back.”
Gnute Yakkin, in The Compendium of Gnomeric Resistance Rhymes

First, let me say that I have a deep and intense love of humor, satire, and cheekiness. I am a smart ass in the most profou
☕️Kimberly
RTC. Another fun trip to Pell.
Janet Newport
Thank you NetGalley and Random House Publishing Group for this arc.

This was a whimsical, fantastical read that should have taken less time to finish. But I just had to keep putting it down to laugh. As I'm not really a belly-laugher, my husband also kept checking in on me to make sure I was okay. He ended up laughing along with me and slowed me down even further.
I have not read the first book of Pell Tales so this was read as a stand alone for me (but I am looking forward to getting my hands on
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
No Country for Old Gnomes is the second tale set in the fantastical kingdom of Pell, a land filled with mythical creatures, silly misfortune, and heroic deeds. This time around, gnomes are under attack by the drubs, a halfing gang known as Dastardly Rogues Under Bigly-Wicke. After his gnomeric home is bombed, Offi and his family head to a refugee center, where he meets up with a motley crew of unlikely heroes. Together, the merry band sets off to find the king and restore law and order to the la ...more
Jonah ❤️LIBROCUBICULARIST❤️
Silly little gnomes, fantasies for kids! I am such a sucker for children’s fantasy books.

Thanks to NetGalley and publisher for the copy!
Kelly
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks, read-in-2019
I...don't know how to admit this so I'm just going to say it: I might have unconsciously started speaking in umlauts after reading this book. RESPECT THE UMLAUT!

But seriously. No, I'm kidding about seriousness. This book is a quagmire of word play and in-jokes and it is GLORIOUS. Goats who become kings and egregious feuds nobody remembers the beginning of and witches and ghosts and dentally-minded vampires. Plus, you know, gnomes and halflings.

A little death. A little destruction of property. A
Athena Elizabeth
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you so much to Del Rey Books (Random House - Ballantine) and NetGalley for the e-ARC of No Country for Old Gnomes! Received for free in exchange for an honest review.

Honestly - I loved this sequel so much more than Kill the Farm Boy. Hearne and Dawson outdid themselves on the puns, umlauts, gnomerisms, and general insanity - but also managed to tell a pretty dark story underneath it all.

A new motley crew of heroes find each other on the path to set right the atrocities being committed to t
Tina
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC.
3.75 Stars
No Country for Old Gnomes is the second book in the Tales of Pell trilogy. If you haven't read the first (Kill the Farm Boy), you should, but it's not necessary to enjoy this installment. In this story we follow Gnomes, Halflings, Sheep-people, and Dwarfs on an adventure to... well, you should read it and find out.
This book is a wonderfully funny satire on fairy tales, with a ton of pop culture references, puns, and good old fashion
Mike
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
I generally only post reviews of books if I love them, or they really challenge me in some way, but I got an ARC of this so review it I shall.

Meh.

The first book in the series was also meh. It was mostly along the lines of a satire as done by the Scary Movie guys - various pop culture references and plenty of leaning on the 4th wall, but no real bite to it the way someone like Pratchett does satire. This was in the same ball park.

On the whole I think I liked it better. The characters were deeper,
Brittany
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Free ARC provided through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Review:
I read the Iron Druid chronicles from Kevin Hearne last year and loved it, so when I saw this on NetGalley, I just knew I had to read it! I am a first time reader of Delilah S. Dawson, and I’m already a new fan. Although the Tales from Pell series is vastly different from Iron Druid, it still has the witty humor that I’ve come to expect from Kevin Hearne. In fact, No Country for Old Gnomes is by far even funnier.

“Mother
WS_BOOKCLUB
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley and Random House Publishing Group for providing me with this ARC in exchange for my honest opinion. This book will be available for purchase on April 16th of this year.

I was so excited to receive this book, because I loved the first book in the Pell series (Kill the Farm Boy). I was hopeful that this would continue in the fun vein of the first, and I was not disappointed.

This fantastic book not only turns classic fantasy tropes upside down, it shakes their pockets for loo
Kim McGee
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I purposely read this in short bursts dragging out the time I had to finish for one simple reason - I couldn't bear for it to end. This hysterical tome is like Monty Python and THE PRINCESS BRIDE on steroids. In a land far away poor defenseless gnomes are being burned out of their homes and terrorized by despicable halflings (insert shudder here). It will take a ragtag group of gnomes, dwarves, a gryphon with a passion for omelets, an automaatti and a reformed halfling to bring the good creature ...more
Hobart
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
★ ★ ★ ★ 1/2 (rounded up)
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
As much as I loved 2018's Kill the Farm Boy -- and talked about it everywhere and repeatedly -- I wasn't sure how much I really wanted to pick up the sequel. There's no way it would be as good, the humor would be a little stale, and the whole approach wouldn't seem as novel. Still, I knew curiosity would get the better of me -- and it'd still have its moments. Also, I'm not at the point where I can live in a world w
Deanna (Deanna Reads Books)
This review was originally posted on my review blog Deanna Reads Books
No Country for Old Gnomes is Book Two in the Tales Pell series by authors Delilah S. Dawson and Kevin Hearne. I was really excited to get my hands on an advanced copy of this book, but I hate to admit it that I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the first book.

Don't get me wrong, I still think this is a fun book, but for me a lot of the great things about the first book were the puns and comedy. I felt like the jokes didn
Jason S Wrench
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
No Country for Old Gnomes is the second book in The Tales of Pell (Kill the Farm Boy was the first book).

First, it's important to understand that this is not a sequel in the traditional sense. Meaning that you will not jump right into more adventures with all of your favorite characters from the first book. Although the book has all of the main characters from the first book at some point, this is not their story. Instead, this book is about a couple of gnomes, a dwarf, a griffin, a halfling, a
MsArdychan
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Please Note: I received an advance copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This did not influence the opinions of my review in any way.

The first book in this series, Kill The Farm Boy, was a fun romp incorporating several fairy tales. No Country for Old Gnomes continues the pun-filled collaboration of
authors Delilah S. Dawson and Kevin Hearne. Although both books are set in the same universe, only a few of the characters from the first book appear in the second.

I enjoyed the m
Kimberly
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dawson and Hearne are back with another hilarious instalment of their The Tales of Pell series.This time focusing on the land of Skyr, home of gnomes and halflings, which are currently not getting along very well. While this book doesn’t follow the same cast of characters as the first book, we still get to spend a little time with our past heroes and are introduced to a whole new wonderful group setting out on their own quest.

All the humor that I loved in the first book is back just as strong a
Annie
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

No Country for Old Gnomes is a new humorous fantasy co-written by Delilah Dawson ( Blud) and Kevin Hearne ( Iron Druid Chronicles). The second book in the Pell world, it's a standalone novel and can be read without prior familiarity with the earlier book. Due out 16th April 2019 on Random House's Del Rey imprint, it's 416 pages and available in hardback, ebook, and audio formats.

I originally picked this one up because, although I hadn't read the
Sarah Wright
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of The Princess Bride, Discworld, Monty Python, etc.
4/5 stars — a standout in both fantasy and humor

No Country for Old Gnomes may be packed with puns, but the storytelling craft evident in its character construction and witty prose is no joke. Just like its predecessor, the novel ranges from wordplay and slapstick to discussions of fantasy racism in the space of a sentence—and it does so smoothly and successfully.

Like Kill the Farm Boy, No Country for Old Gnomes features a large and varied cast. This time around, there's a bee-loving dwarf, a ne
Allie Gerard
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m going to start off with some honesty— I tapped out about a third into Kill the Farm Boy. The humor was just ridiculous enough to make me giggle, but I got fed up with the “Worstley is dead” plot device and skipped to the end to find out if he stayed that way. I enjoyed this book a lot more, and I’d recommend it to anyone who can suspend their disbelief and not take themselves too seriously.
This book started off a little slow, such that I almost gave up shortly before the characters’ plot li
Jen
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, fantasy, netgalley
The dreaded Dastardly Rogues Under Bigly-Wicke, a halfling thieves' gang, have been firebombing gnome homes. The survivors have been fleeing to the city of Bruding, where the refugee center/ping pong palace is less than welcoming. Our intrepid, motley band of adventurers go on a quest to save the Skyr from the halflings' predations and uncover what their enemies have been plotting.

This can be read as a standalone, but I don't recommend it unless you don't mind major spoilers for the first book.
Meghan
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine - Del Rey in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

At first thins book was very hard to understand and comprehend. The first few chapters were very confusing and it was difficult keeping up with all the characters and their motives throughout the story. It was not until midway through the book where I started to follow along and it got more clear as I rea
Theresa
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
No Country for Old Gnomes (The Tales of Pell, #2)
by Delilah S. Dawson and Kevin Hearne

War is not a pretty thing, and it means less and more for the ones faced with it. The Gnomes are facing an oppressive force, destruction at the hands of a relentless enemy. What they do to stop the battles, and change the world is what this story is about. The king has little to know about the circumstances the gnomes are facing it takes a party of mixed ancestor to gather the information to change the world.
penny shima glanz
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
If you enjoyed Kill the Farm Boy, Dawson & Hearne's second tale of Pell, No Country for Old Gnomes, is even more enjoyable. But don't worry, if the premise of a dead poo boy doesn't interest you, reading the first book isn't a prerequisite to enjoy this story. This tale of misfits working together to save Pell grabs you right in the heart.

Why should you read it? It's fun. I enjoyed the characters evolution as they learned how it is important to trust your friends and choose your own family.

W
Rob Durant
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just finished "No Country for Old Gnomes." Kevin Hearne and Delilah Dawson have again presented us with a tale fun of humor, adventure and puns. As someone who reads fantasy, we are usually quite familiar with the behavior of the creatures of Middle Earth. This is not your usual tale. The gnomes are reminiscent of David the Gnome from Nickelodeon. The halflings behave more like trolls and goblins. Then of course, there are the humans. King Gustave is unlike any human you have read about before ...more
Lou Jacobs
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
A delightful romp filled with gnomes, halflings, ghosts and witches. The land of Skyr is up for grabs, with gnomes battling halflings, hell bent on taking over. Although billed as Tales of Pell #2 .. it provides enough backstory to be enjoyed as a standalone. The narrative is chocked full of puns and word play ... that at times is tiresome rather than humorous. However, in it's totality supplies enough fun to merit the reader coming back for more. This will appeal more to readers who haven't en ...more
Rachel Lena
This was a fun, campy read. The characters were delightful and the humor had me chuckling out loud at points. I did, however, find it extremely difficult to get into this book.

There were so many disparate characters being introduced in the first quarter of the novel. It made it difficult to connect to the story when each chapter began a completely separate aspect of the story without giving you time to get invested in any of the characters. I needed more time in the beginning to actually CARE.

Donna
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A mélange of misbegotten creatures go a questing in this compilation of puns, alliterations and out right silliness that overshadows a rather serious plot. The authors draw you in and make you smile in this fabulous follow up to Kill the Farm Boy. While it’s helpful if you’ve read the first this can be read standalone. I heartily recommend.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Terminal Uprising  (Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse, #2)
  • Fallen
  • Maker's Curse (Millennium’s Rule, #4)
  • Bastille vs. the Evil Librarians: The Worldspire (Alcatraz, #6)
  • That Ain’t Witchcraft (InCryptid, #8)
  • PERfunctory AfFECTION
  • Munro (Immortals After Dark, #19)
  • The Last Emperox (The Interdependency, #3)
  • The Harp of Kings
  • Reticence (Custard Protocol, #4)
  • The City We Became
  • The Beyond (Devil's Isle, #4)
  • Silverwood  (Silverwood #1)
  • Death in Kew Gardens (Kat Holloway Mysteries, #3)
  • The Boy and the Dark Star (The Dark Star Trilogy, #3)
  • The Mystery of Black Hollow Lane (Black Hollow Lane, #1)
  • The Remarkable Rise of Eliza Jumel: A Story of Marriage and Money in the Early Republic
  • A Warp in Time (Horizon, #3)
Delilah S. Dawson writes whimsical and dark Fantasy for adults and teens. Her Blud series for Pocket includes Wicked as They Come, Wicked After Midnight, and Wicked as She Wants, winner of the RT Book Reviews Steampunk Book of the Year and May Seal of Excellence for 2013. Her YA debut, Servants of the Storm, is a Southern Gothic Horror set in Savannah, GA, and HIT is about teen assassins in a bank ...more

The Tales of Pell (2 books)
  • Kill the Farm Boy (The Tales of Pell, #1)