Start by marking “Matchstick Men (A Hunter Dane Investigation #1)” as Want to Read:
Matchstick Men (A Hunter Dane Investigation #1)

Matchstick Men

(Hunt&Cam4Ever #1)

Alternative Cover Edition of ASIN: B071X9X17L

SEX, GAMES & MURDER ~ Want to play?
It was munch night at the most elite underground BDSM club in the Rockies. Relaxed and informal, highlighted by the weekly Matchstick Challenge game.

Detective Sergeant Hunter Dane, reigning champion, looked forward to a relaxing evening to start his 3 days off. A few beers on the deck. An

Published June 22nd 2017 by RedDeer

To ask other readers questions about Matchstick Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Matchstick Men

Start your review of Matchstick Men (A Hunter Dane Investigation #1)
Nazanin
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lost-interested
2 Stars

DNF @ 52%

So far there were three parts (I don’t know if there was more), part one Hunt’s POV was in 3rd person, second part Hunt’s POV was in 1st person, third part Hunt’s POV was in 3rd person AGAIN! Come on!!! Why this alternating POV!!! I really didn’t like the writing style and every time it took time to get used to the MC’s POV. Another thing was the story fell flat for me. Hope you enjoy it more than me!
Joseph Tonlet
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
D/s relationships, that are done well, are both my greatest weakness and my greatest pleasure - the two books (thus far) in this series are brilliant!

The characters are SO well rounded, SO vividly written, and their D/s dynamic SO utterly beautiful that I sit here with a book hangover after having finished.

If you haven't yet had the opportunity to check out the first book in the series, On His Knees, it's a must read!

To say that I wait with baited breath for the next installment is a massive und
Jan
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: age-gap, lgbtq, mystery, kink
Liked e the mystery, loved the chemistry but the world building around "the most elite underground BDSM club in the Rockies" was surreal. ...more
Annery
***3.75*** bitching and complaining
I could blame this on OCD or the fact that I somehow find myself in possession 3 books in this series, but that would be disingenuous, to say the least. The truth is that despite the problems I had with On His Knees I was sufficiently intrigued by the MCs to go on with the series. Good News/Bad News? The same issues continue. The good and the bad.

Hunter Dane is a 35 year old maverick detective with the Denver Police Department. He's the guy who gets assigned t
Trio
This new publication of Matchstick Men incorporates Adira August’s fantastic short story On His Knees into one thrilling novel. In addition, Ms. August states in the author’s note that this edition also includes “previously unpublished material”. So, whether you’re revisiting this series or, like me, enjoying it for the first time, I promise you’re going to devour this dark and erotic tale.

Opening with a rich and beautifully expressive BDSM scene, Adira August introduces us to the two main chara
Antisocial Recluse
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, amazon
Review removed for reason.
Katerina
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great. And the epilogue made it perfect!

"Homicides are like car accidents. The moment violent, shocking. The aftermath frantic. The details tedious. But whether it's a single car into a pole or a semi plowing into a line of cars at highway speed, sooner or later, everything's towed away. The pavement swept. The claims filed. People drive by and there's no trace of what happened. Everyone moves on, with more or less trauma, to deal with things in their own way."

This applies to so many life situat
Gerbera_Reads
**4.7 stars**

I really enjoyed this book. It was a bit out of my comfort zone story but I still liked it. The mystery of the killer and how it was done was very interesting but the best part was to glean into the investigation a-la-hunter-dane style. It was so neatly done what with how they contained the murder and I got to see how things are done when powerful people's reputations are at stake. Hunter on top of being an exceptionally good detective also knows all of the possible suspects and ins
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to JustJen "Miss Conduct" by: Joseph Tonlet
Shelves: bgirls, bdsm-d-s, mm
4.5 star review by The Blogger Girls.

I first met and became intrigued with Hunt and Cam in On His Knees (available at Instafreebie until August 1, 2017). In that short story, we got a taste of the unique dynamic between these two complex men. Thankfully, their story is continued in Matchstick Men.

Hunter is a homicide detective who is good at his job in part because of his ability to compartmentalize and keep his emotions and feelings away from the job. Unfortunately, he believes he is incapable
Kaje Harper
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, m-m, mystery, bdsm
Sergeant Hunter Dane is a complex and intriguing character, a dedicated homicide detective and a very lonely man. Hunter is a bisexual switch, and sought after as a Dominant among the female submissives in the club he frequents, but although he subs for male Doms, he never really gives them the power they want over him. Hunt will bend his head, and take any amount of punishment, but he never really bends his spirit.

Olympic medalist Camden Snow is ten years younger, and known at the club as the p
True Loveislovereview
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, lgbtq, bdsm, crime
A story in four parts. It started with On His Knees and oh my goodness that was strong and forceful BDSM. Every step is clearly outlined, just how I like it.

It took Hunter Dane two years to get on his knees for the twenty-three-years-old strong, confident, enigmatic Dominant Camden Snow. Hunter, thirty-five-years-old, is a Dominant himself and he needed Cam badly and wasn’t disappointed.

A strong heart-wrenching scene to get Hunter down and out.
He unraveled Hunter, every part, nothing hiding anym
Pam
If you can ignore the flaws, this murder mystery series is thrilling and sexy and interesting in so many ways. Once the murder mystery element was introduced in Book 1, it had me totally enthralled. And also a little creeped out. I could not read it fast enough, and I could not put it down until the murderer was found, even though I knew that was going to keep me up until 3 a.m.

I don't know the last time I got this drawn into the actual murder part of a murder mystery plot, but I'm pretty sure
Cassie
Awesome start to a series.
Natosha Wilson
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the first book that introduced these characters in this book, On His Knees, but his one was so much better. I like that this was a longer book for one but I also like that it got into more details about Hunt and Cam.

This book there is a mystery and murder that Hunt has to figure out who the murderer is why they seem to be fixated on him. To make matters more interesting Hunt has decided to quit fighting the attraction he feels for Cam and to submit to him.

What I do not like abo
Kimmers of Kimmers' Erotic Book Banter
I don’t even know where to start with Adira August’s Matchstick Men. Cam and Hunter’s introduction in On His Knees was an unexpected fantastic treasure to stumble upon and I could only hope there would be a follow-up to their powerful coupling.

Matchstick Men exceeds all my expectations!

You don’t have to read On His Knees to continue with Matchstick Men but in all honesty if you do not you are doing yourself a disservice to truly appreciate the vivacious dynamic of these two compelling men!

Let
Mimi
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it

I am so ready to see Sexy Dom Camden Snow make stubborn Detective Hunter Dane pay for thinking he knows what's best for him.

Hunter says that he doesn't feel but why was he crying in Cam's hospital room?
Chris
So I’m in ... hooked and enjoying the dynamics of this prickly, yet vulnerable pair. Cam is def the Alpha Dom who is totally in love with Hunter the Alpha sub ! Hunter has only ever submitted to Cam, who is much younger, yet pushes all the buttons Hunter doesn’t want pushed but deep down knows he needs. A great murder mystery- cleverly written and very engaging.
Jordan
5/5 stars - Matchstick Men was a surprisingly amazing and well written BDSM mystery.

Hunter Dane makes for one hell of a detective thanks to his ability to compartmentalize and remove his emotions from his work. Some might consider this a gift and a talent, but for Hunter, it's anything but. He lets his detachment bleed over into his personal life and it acts as a curse more than anything else. Still, Hunter has come to terms with the fact that he will never have a real relationship and devotes
Sarah McDerment
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars

Really enjoyed this one! Felt like I was in a bit of a book funk recently where everything I read was mediocre and I'm so happy that this book has brought me back to just loving a book and being attached to it until its finished.

Also glad to say that the issues I had with the previous book "On His Knees" were no longer an issue in this book. The safe word situation was cleared up and the hard limit thing was explained. For more on this read my previous review.

Cam and Hunters characters i
Joyfully Jay
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sammy
A Joyfully Jay review.

5 stars

Adira August has released a special edition of the first of her Hunt&Cam4Ever series, Matchstick Men, along with the original novella, On His Knees, that began the multi-book series. This little duo is like a one-two punch that can only begin to be described with words like gritty, visceral, and unashamedly descriptive. This is BDSM at its finest and its most intense. In the span of one night, Cam shatters every one of Hunter’s previous hard limits, dismantles the r
Silkeeeeeereads
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Satisfying

The 2nd book has furthered the relationships. There is also a, "who dunnit?" that was well written and had enough possibilities that you weren't sure, until you were.

This author is a gifted storyteller, creator of excellent characters and seems well versed in BDSM. I will wait impatiently for the next book and highly recommend On His Knees and Matchstick Men to MM readers who enjoy the BDSM world.
Rebecca James
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: mystery lovers, bdsm lovers, older/younger lovers
Recommended to Rebecca by: Facebook group
Shelves: 5-star
Oh. My. God.
As an author, I really should be better at writing reviews, but the truth is I suck at it and rarely write them. But I loved this book. Why?
1. Hardened cop. Even better, hardened cop who doesn't believe he has any feelings.
2. Younger Dom. This wasn't even something I thought I'd like! But the contrast between a sweet, blond, young thing and a no limits Dom all in one man is outrageously hot. That he can dominate another Dom into being his sub is even hotter!
3. Murder mystery that doe
Sheila
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Three of my favorite things!

BDSM check, MM check, a really good mystery double check! If you like/love those genres too give this book a chance it's well worth a read.. or two. Also if you haven't read On His Knees go get it! Hunter and Cam's relationship is complicated to say the least so this novella helps with the twists and turns. It's also hot as hell ;-)
That said this book is not lacking in hotness either. I'm seriously impressed with how well Adria August has weaved an erotic MM novel w
Tristan
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cop-pi-ff, bdsm
4/5

I was a little bit (just a tiny bit) disappointed that the book didn't pick up the case from the prologue book. On the bright side, it does pick up almost directly from where the last book left off. :D

The author kept the rather unique writing structure from the prologue book, switching between different perspectives from first to third. To be frank I wasn't so convince with it at first. But to my surprised, Adira pull it off beautifully. I barely noticed the switch some time. (view spoiler)
Trio
the author bundled this into a Special Edition which you can find the Goodreads listing for here
and here's my review
The Novel Approach
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary, bdsm
The relationship begins to deepen for Hunter and Cam, the dance has begun in earnest, and the chemistry, the tautness of their interactions keeps your interest right where August wants it, and that is on Hunt and Cam. We really start to intimately get into Hunter and Cam’s headspace in this book. These characters are so complex, there is such a depth to Adira August’s writing that she once again draws us into the world of her MCs, and takes us on a roller coaster ride of love, horror, joy, and t ...more
Susana
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Zoe
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hot-as-fuck, series
*4,7 stars*
“And even though by minute five I was sweat-covered and my extremities were numb and my body tight as a bowstring and there was an ACME bomb of heat and need behind my balls and I was begging in whispers to be allowed to come, I managed to hang on until he said, 'Now'."

These guys are killing me dead.

Yeah, you gotta ignore the Nordic-Sex-God-talk sometimes and yes, the writing could use some rephrasing in my opinion, but who am I to complain. I’m a total slut for these two.

Whic
Chappy
The book I read came with the prequel "On His Knees" so I got introduced to Hunter and Camdon in their splendid glory. Extremely intense BDSM but written very well and it sucked me right in.

Hunter is such a tormented and complex character. Even his sexuality and kinks are non-standard; he's a bi-sexual switch but is still an anal virgin...well, until he meets Cam.

Cam's had his eye on Hunt for a while, but is determined that Hunt come to him first and on his terms. He's a gifted no-nonsense sadi
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Starting From Here (Starting From, #3)
  • Headcase (Necessary Evils, #4)
  • The Spooky Life (The Spectral Files #4)
  • Dead Serious Case #1: Miz Dusty Le Frey (Crawshanks Guide to the Recently Departed, #1)
  • Sleepwalker
  • Wild Card (The Road To Rocktoberfest, #3)
  • Witch Under Wraps (Mythmatched, #2)
  • The Trouble with Trying to Date a Murderer (Murder Sprees and Mute Decrees #1)
  • Elf Defence (Adventures in Aguillon #2)
  • The Soldati General (Soldati Hearts, #3)
  • Skins: The Box Set Vol 1-4
  • How to Forgive (Lovestrong, #6)
  • Vanilla Steamer (Bold Brew #4)
  • Naked Ambition
  • Rueberry Orchard (Beyond the Realm: Remember #1)
  • Ashland (Werewolf Fight League)
  • Mad Man (Necessary Evils, #5)
  • Knight of Ocean Avenue (Love in Laguna, #1)
See top shelves…
ADIRAAUGUST@GMAIL.COM

BOOKS THAT DON'T EXIST AND SHOW IN MY BOOK LIST:

DESIRE FOR TOUCH, BLISS, ECSTASY (unpubished for rewrite)

ON HIS KNEES (unpublished, now makes up part one of MATCHSTICK MEN: THE HUNTER DANE/CAMDEN SNOW ORIGIN STORY - BOOK ONE OF HUNT&CAM4eVER

Hunt&Cam4Ever (9 books)
  • Dancing Men (Hunt&Cam4Ever, #2)
  • Snowed In: Hunter's Story (Hunt&Cam4Ever, #3)
  • Psychic Men (Hunt&Cam4Ever, #4)
  • Secret Men (Hunt&Cam4Ever, #5)
  • Fractured Men (Hunt&Cam4Ever, #6)
  • Shadow Men (Hunt&Cam4Ever, #7)
  • Forever (Hunt&Cam4Ever, #8)
  • The Interrogation (A Hunter Dane Investigation)

News & Interviews