Start by marking “Brief Encounters (The Encounters Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Brief Encounters (The Encounters Series, #1)

Brief Encounters

(The Encounters Series #1)

Eleanor Ivy follows two rules in life: know how to lie and never let anyone in. With the painful life she left behind and the unorthodox job she currently has, lying is a must. But when Eleanor meets Jess Parker, Breslin University’s hockey player both on and off the ice, everything she has worked for threatens to come crumbling down.

Jess Parker is the epitome of everythin
Published March 7th 2018 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Brief Encounters, please sign up.
Scarlett Hopper No cheating in the book but the characters are faced with situations that can be misleading. But there is no cheating.

Sabrina
NOW LIVE!
Amazon US * Amazon UK

Brief Encounters is Scarlett Hopper's debut novel and the first in The Encounters series. It introduces us to a wide variety of characters, told in Eleanor Ivy's POV. We learn how she came to be a college student with a not so ordinary job, all while following her love/hate relationship with campus playboy, Jess Parker.

This book instantly captivated me and had me so intrigued to find out what Eleanor's secrets were. I really liked the hints of mystery that we got t
Mg ♥ The Bookishmedialite

description

First off, thank you so much to the author for providing me an early copy.

The description of this book has curiosity skittering through my brain. Because girl, when you read that she has an unorthodox job and that lying is a must, you're all over that shit.

My kind of low rating it's because even though the plot was good, I felt like there were not a lot, but some subplots that felt unfinished... or maybe it was just my inner beast who wanted more.

The main characters... Ok, don't hate me here b
Scarlett Hopper
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Join our facebook group to discuss!

BRIEF ENCOUNTERS IS LIVE LIVE LIVE AND ON KINDLE UNLIMITED!!!

Amazon US: http://amzn.to/2oQVuq8
Amazon CA: http://amzn.to/2oRvhrp
Amazon UK: http://amzn.to/2Fl9N0v
Amazon Paperback: http://amzn.to/2D2fScH
Aimee Rogers
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was received an arc of this book by the author for an honest review. THANK YOU!!!

This is not your typical college story where the popular guy gets partnered with girl and they fall in love. It is so much more!! The characters are well written and developed. It has a great plot, with enough mystery to keep you eagerly devouring the book till the very end. I truly couldn't put this book down!

Eleanor is not your typical college student. She and her best friend had some very bad things happen in
Faith89
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-review
3.5 Stars
This is new author for me. I was lucky enough to get a ARC of her story. The story was a little awkward at times but smoothed out towards the middle. It kind of went a little long.
The synopsis had me curious about mysterious job and Jess's life. What made her get this job and why all the lies. This was an interesting story filled with secrets and twists. Just when you expect the story to go a certain way it may change. The romance between Eleanor and Jess was not perfect. It was messy w
Jennifer Pierson
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brief Encounters was a hard story for me to review to be honest, because I'm not one who likes to talk about what I may not like in a book. However, I'll try to get my scattered thoughts under control to try here without giving anything away. Eleanore was a complex character, as she had too much happen to her by the time she was 16 years old, so it kind of twisted her up, so she decides to do life by herself. So she starts making up a life of lies, and tries to balance them all out, and trust me ...more
Tiffany Readz
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: debut-author
Lots of Story...

In Scarlett Hopper's debut novel, Brief Encounters, she gives her readers quite the story of lies, love and loss. While I wasn't a instant fan of either character, they did tend to grow on me quickly.

Eleanor is a bit of a little girl lost. After encountering more tragedy than a sixteen year old should, she up and left Jersey for New York to try and make it on her own. Hooking up with her friends cousin, Eleanor finds herself working in one of the oldest professions around.

Living
Chelsea
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from the author herself, and I am definitely not disappointed. It’s so refreshing to read a book where the girl + guy don’t fall in love after an hour of knowing each other. Friends to lovers, with secrets slowly surfacing and a small bit of drama is just the type of book i enjoy. I guessed 2 things that happened in the book, which usually irritates me because i love to be proven wrong, but I wasn’t upset one bit. It was more of a “yes I was right!!” moment. I loved each &am ...more
Bookaholics
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book.

I voluntarily reviewed this book in exchange of an arc.

I was quite blown away with this debut book by Scarlett Hopper. This book had alot of elements of a good book. It starts of with a bang, which is what pulls me into a story.

"I've always been a good liar, I guess you could say it runs in my blood'

We are introduced to Eleanor Ivy right at the beginning and we know there is something she is hiding. She is a strong heroine who has endured some very tragic times. the events c
Flo Grugel
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great NA read,I enjoyed the characters and the storyline!
Indie
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series is addictive... couldn't put it down as soon as I started reading. You will fall in love with the characters and wish they were your own friends!! Can't wait for the next adventures with Winona and Eleanor!
Micheala
Thank you to the author for an ARC of this book!

This book is not what you’d expect AT ALL. The synopsis sets it up to sound like the typical quiet girl placed with playboy for school project and they grow closer and all that. Very cliche. But no, that’s not what happens at all. I mean, it is; they are paired together and the project is the initial reason for talking, but they end up becoming friends. Friends that hang out and learn about each other and after a while, feelings grew. The relations
Becca Wickedly Sweet & Synful Book Blog
I went into this book thinking I know what’s going to happen. I read the synopsis and thought hmm yep I’ve read these kinds of books cool. Boy was I wrong, but in the best possible way. What a delight to pick up a new authors book and find it completely unpredictable! I started thinking ok I will read a couple of chapters before bed, NOPE!! I had to read it in one sitting. I absolutely loved the characters, each of their storylines ( really hoping this turns into a long series as it is the makin ...more
Kelly Merie
Brief Encounters by Scarlett Hopper
*~*Spoiler Free Review*~*
Rating:description
Brief Encounters (The Encounters Series, #1) by Scarlett Hopper

"Amanda, Eliza, Eleanor. Three names. Three Completely different people, yet I've embodied them all. Which one is the real me, you may ask? Well, Let's just say I'm still trying to figure that out."-Eleanor/Amanda/Eliza

WOW - Just WOW! This was such an amazing story and I am pretty blown away with it being a debut novel. Scarlett Hopper just made my "Read Everything By This Author Watch List"

description

This story has such a great flow a
Gabriela
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I didn’t realize that it was the author’s debut novel until after I finished reading. Well done! I enjoyed the heck out of it. Which is a pleasant surprise when starting a book written by an unfamiliar author.

First, WOW, did the story’s prologue do its job! Immediately, I needed to know why the main character, Eleanor, felt like she had different identities attached to different names. And I couldn’t keep from turning pages to uncover the answers.

Eleanor was dealt a grim hand from the begin
sabrina
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I couldn’t put this book down, from the very first page I was hooked.
I absolutely loved Eleanor and Jess.
Jess especially as he was one of those boys in a book that you could easily fall in love with, a great book boyfriend. I rooted for them as a couple from the start.
The more I got to know Eleanor and her heartbreaking back ground the more I liked her, she was a really strong, brave young woman, with a huge vulnerability to her, which made her more likeable. A woman who was scared to love be
anita
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was gifted this arc by the author in exchange for an honest review. i gave it 4 stars.

Let me just say im so happy it was well written. I love nothing more than reading a book and not have to go over and correct something in my head. So why did i give that rating; because it took me a couple days to really get into it. I honestly didn't think i would get into because of Els profession. It wasn't my cup of tea for sure. But i pulled through and let me say thank effin gegus "jesus". The start wa
Alexandra Lambrou
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book!
I’ve never read anything by Scarlett before and when she offered me an ARC of this book how could I refuse. As soon as I started it I couldn’t put it down. If you want a cute friends to lovers romance this is the book for you.

Eleanor lost her mother and with losing her mom, she lost her father too. She took it as long as she could before she ran away. She left the only place she called home and never looked back. She went and started a new life with her best friends
Britt Franks Red Hatter Book Blog
A bit different from what I expected from the blurb, Brief Encounters is a unique twist on the typical college romance. With twists and turns that had drama running high throughout this friends to lovers story I was constantly on an emotional roller coaster. I felt all the feels while reading this! From the love that blossoms between Eleanor and Jess to the tragic past that some are still trying to overcome this Book doesn’t slow down once.

Eleanor was such a unique character, strong, yet vulner
Zuuu_bu
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book! <3
I loved it, especially the fact that you can feel it is written with knowledge of reality around the characters. What I mean is, I am the age characters are and I understand them and feel that they are real, flesh and bones, which isn’t always what I feel with other na books. This one was exactly accurate with music in it and all the feelings and behaviour.
Above that the story is interesting and addictive. I have to admit there was one turn in action I was wait
yorkshirebooknerd
I loved this story, it was totally up my street! A great storyline full of romance, mystery, heartbreak and happiness. The characters are so engaging that I was instantly committed to learning more about them. They drew me in and made me want to be part of their friendship group.
Eleanor as a leading female is strong, fierce and independent whilst still being relatable. She doesn’t let anyone close to her and protects her secrets at all costs.
Jess is a womanising jock with a heart of gold and se
Ree
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is so much more than the blurb leads you to believe. Told exclusively from Eleanor's POV, we are thrust into a world where she believes that secrets are necessary for her survival. After meeting Jesse Parker, guilt at how much baggage her past has weighed her down with prevents her from being totally happy. Taking a chance at being honest could ultimately ruin everything as her past, present & possible future collide. Accustomed to running when life got tough, she soon realises th ...more
J’s Reads
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 STARS!

The cover is what first intrigued me about this book. There was just something about it the drew me in. When I first started reading the prologue I was hooked, which I took as a good sign. Then things slowed down. The story got a little bit draggy for me and the use of full names when referring to the males was a bit of a turn off. I put the book aside for a bit and then came back to it the next day because I hate leaving things unfinished.

This time around I was drawn deeper into the
Pheona Ilagan
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Angst. Angst. Angst. Holy wowerssss! This book broke me a little and had me fidgeting because I wanted to know how things will fall into place.

The main character, Eleonor Ivy, went through things, terrible things and ahe somewhat just went through the motions, trying to get by. The whole time reading except one particular scene, I wanted to hug her. I felt her pain and how she’s coping. Then there’s Jess. Ugh, Jess. You are frucking dreamy but you made me crazy at some parts of the story.

I peg
Maria
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am flabbergasted that this is the author’s first book! I’m seriously impressed. The characters were so well thought out and quite easy to love (aside from Roger, gag). I found myself having such an attachment to all of them, and I really think everyone in the world needs a Viv in their life! I went into this thinking this was going to be a fun romance novel (which it was) but there was so much more to it! There was love and heartache for sure, but there were other elements such as family dynam ...more
Becki Darak
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was kindly given an arc of this book by the author. THANK YOU!!

Eleanor Ivy is a college student with a lot of mystery to her past.
Jess Parker is a hockey player playboy on campus.

What Happens when these two are paired up for a project for class?

The friendship these two develop in this book is so amazing. I was so caught up in their lives, I couldn't put this book down. Eleanor is slow to let anyone into her life except for her best friend and roommate Vivian. Jess is the kind of guy who just
Alexandrea Furr
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Eleanor Ivy is not one of those typical cookie-cutter characters. She is sarcastic, snarky, secretive, and a bit cynical. Shoot, she has more issues than Cosmopolitan. And when it comes to the charming hockey star, Jess Parker, she cannot help but feel the walls guarding her heart and her secrets beginning to crack. Deep down, she knows that she should not be catching feelings for this guy. After all, how could he possibly fall for a girl with so much baggage?

To see my entire review, please visi
Wendy Livingstone
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a debut from this author, and my work, she is certainly one to watch out for in the future. This is the story of Eleanor, who has a tragic past, and Jess who is the school playboy, and the love / hate relationship they have going. When Eleanor is forced to face her fears, will that be the last of their relationship? No spoilers; this is a definite must read, you will not be disappointed! This is an emotional story, with secrets, drama, mystery, and twists, which all had me hooked and int ...more
Carrie
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I won this book via a Goodreads giveaway and am so thankful I did because I could not put this book down. I look like an absolute wreck right now because the last half of the book had me in tears. Some parts were predictable (especially with regards to Roger's identity) but I still really enjoyed it.

I'm just hoping that Nick's 'Wino Forever' tattoo alludes to the fact that the next book is about him and Winnie and whatever went down in London.
Mrs K Bartholmew
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it
A good story however I felt it could have been shorter. There was a few slow bits where you were reading lots of of pages but nothing was really getting added to the story. From 70% onwards it really picked up pace and grabbed your attention. Eleanor was quite hard to relate to at beginning of the book because her personality was such that she kept everyone one and Scarlett managed to write her this way also. All in all I would recommend and would read more from this author in future.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Ancient Tripod of Peace (Teen Thief-Catchers, #1)
  • Harder than Steel (Super Stars, #1)
  • An Inconvenient Plan (Happy Endings Book Club, #10)
  • She Laughs In Pink (Sheridan Hall #1)
  • A Pilgrimage to Death (Reverend Cici Gurule Mysteries, #1)
  • Of Flame and Fate (Weird Girls, #8; Flame, #2)
  • Bargaining with the Boss
  • Dating The Prince (What If, #1)
  • Out of Hiding
  • It Takes Death to Reach a Star
  • Beautifully Broken Pieces (Sutter Lake, #1)
  • Callback (Silhouette Studios #1)
  • The Duke of Ice (The Untouchables, #7)
  • The Exiled Prince (Royal Secrets, #1)
  • Salt (Heights, #1)
  • Legs (One Wild Wish, #1)
  • Scoring the Quarterback (The San Diegan, #2)
  • Dirty Blue (Dirty Justice, #1)
Scarlett Hopper was born in Sydney, Australia and moved to Los Angeles when she was 10 years old. She currently lives back in Sydney with her family and their two pugs. When she isn't writing or reading, she spends her time traveling and searching for the best record stores while eating at 24-hour diners. Eventually, Scarlett hopes to begin a new adventure in Edinburgh and then Seattle.

The Encounters Series (3 books)
  • Chance Encounters (The Encounters Series, #2)
  • Missed Encounters (The Encounters Series, #3)