Start by marking “Do You Dream of Terra-Two?” as Want to Read:
Do You Dream of Terra-Two?

Do You Dream of Terra-Two?

When an Earth-like planet is discovered, a team of six teens, along with three veteran astronauts, embark on a twenty-year trip to set up a planet for human colonization—but find that space is more deadly than they ever could have imagined.

Have you ever hoped you could leave everything behind?
Have you ever dreamt of a better world?
Can a dream sustain a lifetime?

A cent
Published March 7th 2019 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Do You Dream of Terra-Two?, please sign up.
Melissa Funny you should bring this up. I was reading this ebook through my library through the Overdrive app. The book was checked out for me automatically b…moreFunny you should bring this up. I was reading this ebook through my library through the Overdrive app. The book was checked out for me automatically but I started it late. It was just returned and I didn't get to finish it so I put myself back on hold for the book. I was going to just buy it, but when I went to Amazon to purchase the ebook, it's not available to purchase, but to pre-order for release on 8/13/19, paperback as well. But I could buy the hardcover If I wanted to right now - weird.
(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Stephen Politzer-Ahles
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Do You Dream of Terra-Two?
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

Shit! This effing book made me cry 😫

This is definitely NOT what I thought it was going to be and it’s not what you’re thinking it’s going to be. This is about a handful of young adults and adults leaving Earth to go live far far away. Yes, that’s kinda what it says in the summary ..BUT.. this IS NOT some book about getting somewhere and all kinds of shit ensues. This book is about the voyage and the shit everyone goes through on the trip. A lot of people are going to be turned off by this book j
Emer (A Little Haze)
publishing this week

from the blurb...A century ago, scientists theorised that a habitable planet existed in a nearby solar system. Today, ten astronauts will leave a dying Earth to find it. Four are decorated veterans of the 20th century’s space-race. And six are teenagers, graduates of the exclusive Dalton Academy, who’ve been in training for this mission for most of their lives.

It will take the team 23 years to reach Terra-Two. Twenty-three years spent in close quarters. Twenty-three years wit
Mogsy (MMOGC)
5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/08/13/...

Not that such a great book deserves to be pigeonholed in any way, but Do You Dream of Terra-Two? by Temi Oh is a bit of a tough one to categorize. Like its title, there’s an element of the illusory, a pensive quality about it that inspires wonderment and hope, loses you in thought. Yes, it is a space adventure, but one that emphasizes the human drama rather than the action, though the plot also features a space disaster tw
Carrie
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Do You Dream of Terra-Two? by Temi Oh is a young adult science fiction fantasy. The story is set in the future at a time when the “space race” era has been renewed as all around the globe countries tested the boundaries of just how far and what could be discovered in space as it had come to be believed someday the Earth wouldn’t be habitable.

The British have discovered a planet far off that just may be able to sustain human life in Terra-Two. The journey however to actually travel to this new wo
Liz Barnsley
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm in love with this book.

It is a hugely compelling character driven drama, from the feet on the ground to the start of an epic journey through space, by the time you come to the end of this gorgeously immersive debut you will almost certainly be dreaming of Terra-two.

Mere children still when they start their training, Harry, Jesse, Juno, Astrid, Aria Eliot and Poppy have different feelings and reasons for their determination to be part of the beta crew who will spend over two decades in space
Lisa Wolf
Do You Dream of Terra-Two? is set during our lifetime, but in a world in which space exploration has advanced much further than in our own. There have already been successful human missions to Mars and Europa, and now, the ultimate goal is being frantically pursued.

Terra-Two is an Earth-like planet light years away, uninhabited but with atmosphere, geology, and natural resources suited for human life. With advanced technology, it will be possible for an initial expedition to reach Terra-Two with
K.J. Charles
Group of teens are hand picked for the first mission to a new habitable planet, which involves 23 years travel in a small spaceship to get there.

This is space opera setting but it's entirely a character piece, very much focused on the individuals and the effects their journey and being shut up together starts to have on them. It's a brilliant concept, well executed and well written.

Unfortunately I stuck on nitpicky issues. The teens have been hand picked as the best possible candidates but of
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I loved this character exploration into a group of young adults who are launched into a space mission to populate a distant planet - covering everything leading up to the point where they form a crew and learn to work with one another. Definitely more character-driven than action-packed and I really enjoyed it!

Trigger warnings: anxiety & depression, suicide

Full review here.

Check out Happy Indulgence Books for more reviews!
Figgy
Review to come.

There were issues, but this was also an advanced proof copy, so maybe these will be fixed in the final copy?

There were some problems with pacing around the middle, though the last 100 pages rushed by. Some characters were a lot more well-formed than others, and I did NOT have a clear picture of the ship in my mind.

BUT.

I will say, this was not what I expected going in, but I am glad to have read it. It's something of a space-romp but with a lot of introspection and character explo
Hannah
Apr 10, 2019 marked it as will-probably-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
There is nothing wrong at all with this book - it just couldn't hold my attention. I read around 20% before calling it quits and those took me months to get through. I found the narrative tone too juvenile; it reads like a YA novel and as such is sure to appeal to lots of other readers. I am not in a good enough reading mood this year and I have too much going on outside of my bookish life to continue reading books I am not enjoying.

I received an arc of this book courtesy of NetGalley and Simon
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
Terra-Two. A planet just like Earth. Habitable. Sustainable. A new beginning. And about to be colonized by six teenagers and six adults, who will launch into space and travel twenty-three years through deep space to reach their new home.

I wanted to like this a lot more than I did. And I did like it.

However, I felt like there were some serious issues with the book that could have been resolved with some heavy editing/pacing adjustments.

I loved all of the space stuff. The preparations to
The Captain
Aug 13, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: walk-the-plank
Ahoy there me mateys!  I received this sci-fi eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  So here be me honest musings . . .

I wanted to read this debut ever since I saw it described as "The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet meets The 100."  I know nothing about The 100 but sadly this book did not live up to the comparison to the Becky Chambers work.  In fact this book walks the plank!

Pros:

- The author's writing shows promise.  For a debut novel, I felt the writing style itself was dec
Lata
Taking a different approach to the standard space exploration story, Temi Oh's characters, while astronauts, are just barely out of adolescence when they are sent to colonize a distant, Earth-like planet named Terra-Two. This is a journey of many years, and the main characters won't arrive at their destinations till their middle age. So, this is a voyage demanding a mental and physical toughness, and a willingness to leave all Earth ties behind.
Oh's cast of young characters are put through the w
Arkadeb
Putting people in space suits does not make it science fiction.
Julie
I could not get past how badly this space program is run, and I've listed some of the issues below (lots of spoilers!):

(view spoiler)
Bookphenomena (Micky)
2.5 - 3 stars

This sci-fi appealed to me on a number of levels. The idea of six young adult astronauts trained from early adolescence for the mission of their lives, alongside seasoned and more mature astronauts really excited me. Add that to a one-way trip to Terra-Two in another star system and I literally asked netgalley to sign me up! The concept was pretty amazing but slow to get off the ground, quite literally. I thought at one point they were never going to leave earth.

You’ll be glad to kn
Tamsien West (Babbling Books)
Do You Dream of Terra Two? was SO incredibly good. It's a debut character-driven sci-fi novel by a woman of colour that features a diverse cast, and I couldn't get enough. ⠀

It's being described by the publisher as "The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet meets The 100", and I couldn't agree more. The characters are all really well developed, and given a share of the focus via switching perspectives.

The premise is not particularly unique - a group of teens train in a special academy and become the
imyril
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm. I don’t think the elevator pitch captures this book at all. Those hoping for a Wayfarer vibe are likely to be disappointed. If I’m honest, this didn’t really work for me; I found it a mixed bag of intriguing character drama followed by unconvincing/convenient right turns. I’m conscious I read an early ARC, so possibly some of these things will polish up in a final edit? Even if this isn’t the case, there’s plenty to enjoy along the way, and I’ll keep an eye open for more books by Temi Oh i ...more
Tammy
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The nitty-gritty: An exhilarating, character-driven debut that touches on such themes as mental illness, the tenuousness of life and death, and the power of true belief. If you’ve ever dreamed of traveling beyond the stars, Do You Dream of Terra-Two? is a must read. It left me breathless.

It occurred to Astrid, in a disembodied instant,
Denise
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 maybe. It was quite different than I expected and needed to overcome a bit of disappointment at first. A decent debut novel and while the plot really isn’t at all action oriented there were some interesting musings about finding one’s way in a made up community and what drives individuals to make extreme choices (careers for instance).
Lulu
7 teenagers are chosen to be part of the first ever colonisation crew set for Terra-Two, a habitable planet 23 years away. Then one of them drops out, and it's the first pebble that starts the long, slow rockslide.

Much of this book takes place before the ship even launches, which the blurb didn't prime me for. I was expecting something more action-packed, but this is a gentle, meditative read, with an excellent audiobook narrator to boot.

Once we're in space, the emphasis is on the mental and emo
Suzanne Rooyen
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely adored this book!

If you want an action-packed scifi adventure then this book is not for you. However, if you like your scifi character-driven and introspective, this book is totally for you!

This book features a memorable, relatable, and diverse cast of teenage characters, each with their own POV chapters exploring their pasts, who they are, their dreams for the future, and their response to being in space on a lifelong mission to a distant second Earth.

The writing is vivid and lush,
♠ Tabi ♠
Apr 05, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: netgalley
oh dear they mentioned two of my favorite things as the influence/comparison for the book I GOTTA HAVE IT NOW
Shaun Hutchinson
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This might be the last book I read for the year, and it was a great book to end on.
Kal ★ Reader Voracious

Holy crap, I am so mad at myself for letting my copy languish on my bookshelf since February! This wasn't quite what I was expecting, but I loved it all the same. This is a character-driven and captivating story that kept me thoroughly engaged until the very end. If you've ever dreamt of exploring the universe, Do You Dream of Terra-Two? is a must-read!

The book is told from the perspectives of the six teenagers chosen to embark on a critical mission: travel to the habitable planet - known as Ter
Elowen
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novel reminds me of the saying "it's the journey that is important, not the destination". Somehow it managed to keep me interested until the end, one or two moments aside in which the junior crew's behaviour got a bit too juvenile to my taste (which was realistic, just a bit tedious), but the way it described the reality of interstellar space travel and dealt with the implications of training teenagers to become astronauts at age 19, was impressive and fascinating.

CW: (view spoiler)
Nadine
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Do You Dream of Terra-Two? follow six teenagers as they prepare to embark on a once in a lifetime mission of discovering a new habitable planet with the goal of getting it ready for future generations. Since the journey will take twenty-three years, these teenagers have been extensively trained for years for their future roles.

Maybe it was my own misunderstanding of the synopsis, but this is book is not what I expected. This is both good and bad. The trope of discovering and exploring a new plan
Bee (Vellichorbee)
Jun 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
The writing in this wasn't terrible and clearly a lot of thought went into the characters but man was it boring. You can't compare something to great sci-fi novels and have next to nothing happen in the entire 500 odd pages. I like science fiction that is a critique on humanity and has some introspection but that was all there was to this and it just wasn't enough to keep me engaged. If all the introspection had happened in space and based on space adventures it would have been a lot more intere ...more
Kate
I found this an engrossing read (I read much of it in one sitting) although it wasn't quite what I was expecting. The focus here is very much on the teenage astronauts themselves - their relationships and their extreme stress. I couldn't help but find the premise unlikely (albeit appealing) and the slightly adjusted alternate history a bit under developed, but I did get carried along by its tension and pace and there are moments of real emotion. The character portraits of the teenagers are very ...more
K.
Trigger warnings: suicide, death of a friend, mental health, eating disorders, blood, bullying, (view spoiler).

I've been intrigued by this book for a while - the cover alone is STUNNING - but the length meant I put it off for slightly longer than I'd planned.

Anyway. The concept is fabulous. There's plenty of diversity among the cast of characters. The writing is solid. There's a decent amount of action and some low-key creepiness that

• To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • The Deep
  • A Beginning at the End
  • Catfishing on CatNet
  • Emily Eternal
  • Ninth Step Station: The Complete Season 1 (Ninth Step Station #1.1-1.10)
  • Riot Baby
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan #1)
  • The Haunting of Tram Car 015
  • A Song for a New Day
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Salvation Day
Temi Oh was born in 1993 in London, to Nigerian parents. She studied at Bishop Thomas Grant and then Emanuel School, Battersea. In 2015 she graduated from King’s College London with a BSci in Neuroscience. Her degree provided great opportunities to write and learn about topics ranging from ‘Philosophy of the Mind’ to ‘Space Physiology’.

After her final year she decided to pack up and pursue her dr