Start by marking “Prince Ribbit” as Want to Read:

Hardcover
Published July 28th 2016 by MACMILLAN CHILDREN S BOOKS

To ask other readers questions about Prince Ribbit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prince Ribbit

Betsy
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
There’s been a lot of talk in the news lately about . . . well, the news. Specifically fake news. Articles and stories that look real when you find them in your in-box or Facebook feed or Twitter account, but that ultimately don’t stand up to scrutiny. According to a December 2016 Pew Research Center Report, 23% of Americans say they’ve shared fabricated reports. The solution? It’s multi-pronged, to say the least, but while digital literacy is a key component, so is the ability to read criticall ...more
Vera Godley
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful picture book with characters drawn from the imagination of Jonathan Emmett and fleshed out with the colorful drawings by Poly Bernatene. Not your ordinary and run-of-the-mill Frog into a Prince fairy tale, this one allows the reader to delve deeper into conscious thought and think out of the box exploring the sense that all is not as it may seem and that one can't always trust what is written in every book.

On the surface this is a delightful story with a twist on kissing the
Kid Lit Reviews
Princess Arabella reads her sister, Princess Lucinda, The Frog Prince. They both decide if they ever met a real frog prince, they will both treat the frog like royalty. A frog has been listening to all the fairy tales the girls share. He wants to live like a real prince. The frog pops out of the pond and greets Arabella and Lucinda, but the princesses immediately forget their promises and yell at the frog, “the little beast!” Then the frog speaks.

The big message in Prince Ribbit is “just because
Cassandra
Cute spin on the classic "Princess & the Frog". The frog hears two princesses reading the story out loud and decides to trick them into thinking he's really a frog prince. The youngest sister is not swayed by fairy tales and sees Prince Ribbit for what he truly is, a regular talking frog. She tries to get her sisters to believe her by saying "Just because it's in a book, doesn't mean it's true." Which I think is also a good lesson for kids. The illustrations were cute and the ending was ador ...more
Kylie Rademacher
Super cute story, that adds a fun twist on traditional fairy tales. This story would be a great way to introduce the genre of fantasy!
Barbara
In a book perfect for today's world, readers come to realize that just because something appears in print or is published in a book doesn't make it true. Colorful illustrations complement this fractured fairy tale based on The Frog Prince. Princess Lucinda and Princess Arabella become charmed by a frog after reading the story of the frog that becomes a prince. A clever frog overhears the story, and decides to seize the moment and pretend that he is a prince enchanted by a spell that leaves him i ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Emmett, Jonathan Prince Ribbit, illustrated by Poly Bernatene. PICTURE BOOK. Peachtree, 2017. $17.

When a frog hops out of the pond and speaks to them, Princess Arabella and Princess Lucinda are sure that he is a real prince, just like in their fairy tales. Their little sister, Princess Martha, is sure that he is a fraud. Is this clever frog playing a trick on them?

The illustrations in this book are colorful and are spot on for a fairy tale and I really like the interplay between the sisters. The
Kathleen Dixon
Heidi
I've become a big fan of fractured fairy tales. There seem to be more and more of them, which is not a bad thing, after all, fairy tales have been around for a long, long time. But as with most things, some fractured fairy tales are better than others. And I love this one. Not only have Emmett and Bernatene created a delightful story in and of itself, the book also points out that 'just because it's in a book doesn't mean it's true" which is something that I struggle to help the children I teach ...more
Emily Roberts
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
“Just because it’s in a book doesn’t mean it’s true...”

When that line first appears in the book, spoken by Princess Martha, I was taken aback (perhaps I should’ve read the insert or the back cover of the book first...). The fairytale lover in me wanted to believe in a fairytale ending along with princesses Lucinda and Arabella, but that unexpectedly profound sentence made me pause. I did not anticipate such subtly incorporated wisdom in a children’s “twisted fairytale” book. Author Jonathan Emme
Cassandra Childrens
Brenda
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
The beautiful princess always dream of their frog kissing perfect prince. Not Princess Martha! she likes facts, true facts about frogs. She knows that no perfect prince would come out of a frog. Martha's sisters do not believe her! The book allows the reader to learn true facts about frogs and fairy tale facts about frogs. Martha does not end up with a fairy prince but she ends up with a great fairy tale end! Illustrations are colorful, intricate and funny!
Brenda
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This fun picture book will get listeners and readers both laughing and thinking. Jonathan Emmett blends fairy tale thinking with a bit of common sense in this tale of a not-so-stereotypic princess and a clever frog. Poly Bernatene's bright, computer-generated illustrations fit the whimsical nature of the tale. It would be a great read aloud for storytime. I recommend it for both public and school libraries.
Kathy
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebook
Everybody has in this age of Fake News become aware that we need to read everything critically. How to demonstrate that to our youngest readers? This book is excellent: Two princess sisters think that the clever speaking frog they found is just like the frog prince in the story, yet their sister thinks he's just a frog and tries to find out all about frogs. Is the frog really a prince, or just a clever and charming scammer? Don't believe everything you read! (I love the surprise ending)
LibAssistantSWFL
Prince Ribbit, the frog, married the Princess Martha in this colorful and amusing twist of the fairy tale, The Frog Prince. The princesses are reading a storybook that describes a frog a lot like Prince Ribbit. The book explains if she kisses Prince Ribbit, he will transform from a frog to a true Prince. Martha does not believe in this fairy tale and tries to tell everyone that he is just an ordinary frog. Is Prince Ribbit a frog or an actual prince?
Heydi Smith
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-storytime
The quint-essential perfect retold Frog Prince book. I absolutely loved it! The moral of this story is: just because it’s in a book doesn’t make it true. The illustrations are stunning and I don’t mind sharing that I totally pictured myself as Princess Martha.

A storytime must! This would pair perfectly with The Frog Prince Continued by Jon Scieszka.
Donna Johnson
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book puts a different spin on the old fairy tale of the Princess and the Frog. I love how smart Princess Martha is but also how she takes time to look at things from her sisters' point of view as well. If you like fairy tales, especially "fractured" or "twisted" fairy tales that tell the story in a different way than usual, you would like this book, too.
Elizabeth S
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting way to handle the you-can't-believe-everything-you-read dynamic. Fiction readers need to recognize nonfiction as true. And nonfiction readers can learn to enjoy a story that is not true but is entertaining. Even while demonstrating these concepts, the book is a cute, funny version of The Frog Prince.
Tomi Alger
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a 2019 Treasure State book. Three young princesses meet a frog that can talk. They do not agree about how to treat him and information they find in various books doesn't give that same ideas, either. They learn that just because something is in a book doesn't mean it's true. This is a new take on a traditional fairy tale.
Just because it's in a book, doesn't mean it's true. There are so many layers to this story. being able to enjoy both fact and fiction, imagination and a willingness to learn and experiment can solve a problem, and strong woman can get the man if they want to.
Marianne
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me laugh. Also I like that the protagonist has the good taste to wear William Morris patterns. There are art styles within art styles in this book, which makes the visual storytelling richer.
Brett
What a fun & entertaining twist on the tale of the Frog Prince! Also a great reminder that truth isn't always the only valuable thing, & of course: "Just because it's in a book doesn't mean it's true!"
Erin Murphy
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I loved this book! It was clever and unlike any other princess book I read.
Sharie
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rdg-level-pic
"You can't always believe what you read in books"
Michele Knott
Would be good to use to discuss being critical of everything you read. And in your fractured fairy tale collection!
Dianna
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This would be perfect for little girls who have been too immersed in princess stories.
Lynn
A fun variant of the Frog Prince with equally fun illustrations and a very satisfying twist at the end!
Kelly
Adorable, atypical story of the frog who (maybe) turned into a prince!
Stephanie
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adorable and laugh out loud funny fairytale starring princesses and a ordinary frog with a surprise ending and a cute repeated tagline- " Just Because it's in a book doesn's mean it's true!"
Kelly Veatch
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I really enjoyed this picture book. A cute twist on a classic story. Darling illustrations! My students will love this one!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Escargot
  • The Storybook Knight
  • The Cat, the Dog, Little Red, the Exploding Eggs, the Wolf, and Grandma
  • A Cooked-Up Fairy Tale
  • Great, Now We've Got Barbarians!
  • Hawk Rising
  • Very Little Red Riding Hood
  • Potato Pants!
  • Good Night, Baddies
  • Give Me Back My Book!
  • Ratpunzel (Hamster Princess, #3)

Jonathan Emmett was born in Leicestershire in 1965, the son of a factory fitter and a primary school teacher.

Jonathan loved books from an early age and some of his earliest memories are of visiting his local library. The picture books that he borrowed then, including Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak, The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss and Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson h