Start by marking “The Soul Keepers” as Want to Read:
The Soul Keepers

The Soul Keepers

(The Soul Keepers #1)

Death is just the beginning.

After dying in a terrible car accident, Rhett awakens in the afterlife and is recruited to join the crew of the Harbinger, a colossal seafaring vessel tasked with ferrying the souls of the dead. To where exactly, no one knows. But the crew must get the souls there, and along the way protect them from vicious soul-eating monsters that will stop a
Published July 3rd 2018 by Swoon Reads

To ask other readers questions about The Soul Keepers, please sign up.
Devon Taylor Actually, yes! There's a very minor bit of romance involved, but not with the main character. Hope that helps!

Kayleigh Brindley
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, ya, scifi-fantasy
You can find this review and more on my blog: My Endless Shelf.

This book took me COMPLETELY by surprise!

I admit that I struggled a little to get into it at the beginning but I quickly got caught up in the fantastic mythology.

To sum it up, this book felt like a mixture of Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean and a modern spin on Greek mythology.

I loved the writing style, particularly when it came to the action scenes which were fantastic, and also the plot twists which were extremely unexpec
Maggie
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holy heart-racing! I loved every meticulously paced action scene, the mythology behind the syllektors, and the heart that went into every unique character of the crew of the Harbinger. This is one of those books where you think you know where the story is heading, then you get spun on a completely opposite course than you expected. The Soul Keepers is such a wonderful mix of humor, on-the-edge-of-your-seat action, and a band of characters that you instantly root for. You'll want to hop on the Ha ...more
Lisa Brennan
Jul 17, 2018 rated it liked it
As a debut novel, Devon Taylor’s talent earns an 11 on a scale of 1-10. So why am I rating this book with a 3? This amazingly original tale of “The Soul Keepers,” marked by its magnetically compelling introduction was absolutely failed by its editor. Brilliant descriptive scenes and creatively quirky characters are impeded by stunted prose that an editor should have swiftly recognized and corrected. Within an ocean of recent books that has ignored action-seeking “junior high” readers, Soul Keepe ...more
Alicia
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
A book that's not for me but certainly for some-- it has fantasy, action, and a unique backstory, but it wasn't exciting enough for me to stick with it.

Rhett's dead then he goes on an adventure with Basil on the Harbinger, a ship with the souls of the dead until they're on the receiving end of an attack and deviousness ensues. It'll be part of a series so it might have been that was a well-organized standalone but instead is now at least a duology if not a trilogy.

Fabulous cover and who doesn'
Kelsey White
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can’t wait for book #2!
Candyce Kirk
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
This book had such a great concept, but I think it missed some opportunities. It was an enjoyable read, but just not wow. Full review is up on https://thebookdutchesses.com/2018/08...
Angraecus Daniels
Nov 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
The book was labeled "young adult", but I think it was actually written for 12-14 year olds. The worldbuilding was superficial and neither believable nor interesting.
Jasmine
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review coming soon!
Jen
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
**I received this as an egalley from the publisher through Edelweiss in return for an honest review.**

I really wanted to enjoy this book, and while the writing style was definitely good and easy to get through, there was something that just didn't click for me. In fact, I almost DNF'd it several times in the first half, but decided to continue with it because it was moving so quickly and I thought I might get into it at some point. There were definitely missing elements to the story and plot, an
Shaunae
Dec 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
I just didn’t like this book. I struggled to get through the last 50 pages. I felt like I had more questions than answers from this book. It was a weak story. How can ghosts be harmed to the point they need ghosts hospitals?! Just not for me.
Bridget
May 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
DNF. I tried. This was a really cool idea but the execution fell flat. It was the style of writing where things are rarely, if ever, summed up, so we read about everything as it happens from one minute to the next. And that ends up taking a lot of tension away and feeling overall kind of juvenile.

Things I liked:
Super giant ship that carries souls. I approve of this.
....I can’t think of anything else right now

Things I didn’t like:

A main character who is unhappy with everything and has a millio
Dani Winland
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone; anyone looking for purpose of life-after-death
Recommended to Dani by: Xpresso Book Tours & NetGalley
Thank you to Xpresso Book Tours and NetGalley, as well as author Devon Taylor for giving me a copy of THE SOUL KEEPERS in exchange for my honest review.

This review was originally posted on my blog: www.danithebookaholic.com

~~~

While reading The Soul Keepers I was telling everyone I came across about it! Even a couple of Sisters from the Church of Christ that have been going door to door in my town for the last few months; they stopped by to talk about the Book of Mormon (I'm a reader, I read ever
Declarations of a Fangirl
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, e-books
I was given a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. Thank you, Netgalley.

Holy wild ride, Batman! The Soul Keepers grabbed from the very beginning and didn't let me out of its clutches until I'd consumed the very last word. I decided to download the audiobook from Kobo and I highly recommend doing so. It added so much more to the experience. The narrator did different voices for each character...including a certain creepy voice that still haunts my dreams.

It's always so hard to rev
Kalyn Delillo
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-arc
Rhett Snyder awakens from a fatal car accident outside of his body, looking in on his parents and himself. The only person that can see him is a guy named Basil who wants Rhett to come with him. Rhett and Basil enter an abandoned cabin that opens a portal to a gigantic ship called the Harbinger where “syllektors” are tasked with collecting and harboring the souls that have passed on before the psychons find and eat the souls.

OH. MY. GRACIOUS. This book! I seriously loved this book and have no cl
Samantha Hastings
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book starts right in the action. Rhett Snyder’s in a car crash and he dies. He’s met by a British guy named Basil who takes him to a most unexpected afterlife—a ship powered by souls. Rhett learns that he is a syllektor—a person who died a traumatic death and can collect other souls. Rhett is put in Basil’s crew with Mak, Theo, and Treeny. Their job is to collect and protect souls before they get eaten by psychons (monsters like grim reapers). Rhett is given a weapon and taught how to fight ...more
oh!fortheluvofbooks
One of my most anticipated reads of 2018 and I was NOT disappointed! The Soul Keepers is soooo unique and amazing, the world is unlike any I’ve ever read.

I love the exploration of afterlife. This book does not follow a single living person, we follow the dead and what happens after and it’s so amazing. I love the ship “Harbringer” and how it’s created from all kinds of different ships throughout time.

Everything was explained super well, you understood what Rhett’s and his teams job was, what ex
Jo Stevens
Sep 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
I am sorry but The Soul Keepers is boring. Nothing of note happens at all until chapter nine and the you get this moronic sentence. ["She is stuck," Basil replied quietly. "She's got to be stuck."] The she in question is a ghost of sorts, people walk through her, she walks through objects so how can she possibly get stuck in a car? Heck she climbed through the window when she could have just stepped through the wreckage to get to her target. Have some sense she can't get stuck. It just can't hap ...more
Thistle
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an interesting, unique book this was! The first thing that happens in the story is the main character, Rhett, dies. Souls exist in the books's reality, and some special ones become syllektors (those meant to collect other souls and see them safely off). Rhett is one of those special ones, and most of the book is about him learning to become a syllektor, learning about his new home (a ship, sort of, named The Harbinger), and getting to know his fellow syllektors. To me, that was the best par ...more
Nannette Demmler
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
ARC received from MacMillan Children’s Publishing via NetGalley for an honest review.

This was a fascinating take on an old idea, what happens after you die. Well, if you are Rhett you are taken aboard a giant ship where you become a syllektor, a person who collects souls. This was a fast paced book with adventure and fighting around every corner.

Rhett was a solid character. He accepts his new responsibilities as a syllektor pretty easily, but he still spends time grieving for his own death as w
Jessica Smith
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book--what an adventure! I'm always super excited when a story creates something new... new magic, new monsters, new ways to present romance... and this book has it all. It's a multi-character cast and Devon Taylor wrote them as multi-faceted, flawed, and relatable. The romance is sweet but also (appropriately) didn't take over when action and thrills was clearly in the forefront.

There's betrayal, death, ships, ghosts, battles, and sea monsters. You literally cannot go wrong.
Sally
This book reminded me of Rick Riordan’s Magnus Chase series, since it mostly takes place on a ship full of teens experiencing their afterlives. There were a lot of funny one-liners and the whole syllektor concept was different from anything I’ve read before. I wish the characters had a little more depth to them though; I didn’t feel much of a connection with any of Rhett’s friends.

Disclaimer: My review is based on the ARC I won from a Goodreads giveaway.
Carolyn O'Doherty
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a super fun book with an original premise, at least I've never read anything about dead people protecting souls. The pacing was great, with lots of exciting twists and turns and it has enough of a complex story line that it's well set up for a continuing series. While the book doesn't directly reference mythology, it definitely has the sense that these are archetypal events and characters. Definitely worth a read!
Lauren
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Not a strong beginning, but I ended up enjoying Soul Keepers. It has an interesting world build and I just happen to like afterlife/death themed YA. This is a good choice for fans of Gina Damico’s Croak series or Veronica Rossi’s Riders duology.

Solid 4 Stars - I thought the characters could have been better developed but it was a neat concept.
Meg
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this wild ride! My only complaint is I need more of this world! :)
Kareemah
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting concept. Not quite horror but creepy .
laf.out_loud
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is very well written and to be honest, I wish it had been so much longer. It ended all too fast.
kerrycat
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: slj
My SLJ review featured on the Barnes and Noble listing (I am not permitted to post the text in its entirety): https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-...
Rachel
Apr 28, 2018
Chris
Dec 31, 2018
Savannah
Sep 07, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Devon Taylor was born in Las Vegas, Nevada and currently lives in Pennsylvania with his wife and two daughters. His day job consists of sneaking around the house with ninja-like stealth to avoid waking up his kids. When not writing, reading, or tediously typing out text messages with all the correct spelling and punctuation, he spends his time with his family. THE SOUL KEEPERS is his debut novel.

The Soul Keepers (2 books)
  • The Ghost Seekers (The Soul Keepers #2_