Start by marking “Rise of the Sea Witch (Unfortunate Soul Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rise of the Sea Witch (Unfortunate Soul Chronicles, #1)

Rise of the Sea Witch

(Unfortunate Soul Chronicles #1)

Details of the sea witch’s banishment have been exaggerated. The body count that preempted it was not. Once an illustrious princess, her hands and tentacles were stained with the blood of thousands. No one could comprehend how the hooks of madness dragged her down from her life of privilege. Born Princess Vanessa of Atlantica, the ambitious young royal was one of two child ...more
Published June 13th 2017 by Anchor Group Publishing

Start your review of Rise of the Sea Witch (Unfortunate Soul Chronicles, #1)
Ben Alderson
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
URMMM HELLO... MY FAVOURITE SEA VILLAIN HAS A BACK STORY HELLOOOOO

I love Ursula, or VANESSA as we know her in part of this story.
I loved this retelling and re imagining. I also love how Stacey added mentions and linked in the story with the song Ursula sings in the Little Mermaid. Mention of her helping mermaids who want to get skinny.. " this one longing to be thinner, that one wants to get the girl "

I love this book so much, this is a re read for me!

Lonna | FLYLēF
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
IN THE TIMELESS tale of The Little Mermaid, there is a backstory that has been insightfully reimaged in Rise of the Sea Witch, by Stacey Rourke. It’s a turbulent tale of an ambitious, young female tested by catastrophic events and its calamitous consequences. It’s brutal and heartrending. Welcome to Ursula’s untold story.

Princess Vanessa “Nessa”, daughter of Poseidon, would like nothing more than to ascend to the coveted throne of Atlantica. Yet, secrets buried deep within the sea have a pencha
Alice-Elizabeth
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
A YA Fantasy reimagine of Ursula from The Little Mermaid's POV? Uh, yes please! I received a free digital copy of Rise of the Sea Witch for being part of the promotional blog tour for the second book in this series titled: Entombed in Glass.

Ursula who is also known as Princess Vanessa has a brother called Triton, both from day one have been preparing to ascend the throne but only one of them can be victorious. Vanessa feels like an outcast as her father (King Poseidon) tends to spend more of his
Chelsies Reading Escape
Now this is a villain prequel story Ive been dying to read. Following Ursela from the Little Mermaid was really exciting. I never thought Id find a book that satisfied my need to know more about her. I was able to finally understand why she became evil and how she came into her powers. Its really important for an antagonist motivations to make sense and sadly they arent always believable.

Unlike Cath in Heartless, this main character didnt frustrate me. Her progression to evil wasnt as jarring an
Lucie V.
Feb 27, 2021 marked it as to-read
Shelves: kindle-ebook
This book is free on Amazon today (02/27/2021). 🙂
Minx
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever watched Disney’s The Little Mermaid and wondered why Ursula was hyper-focused for revenge on King Triton? She really wanted him to suffer and I think it goes beyond just being cast out of the palace, don’t you? Well wonder no more! The story of Princess Vanessa of Atlantica will answer those ponderings and more.

Rise of the Sea Witch is told from Princess Vanessa’s point of view and it is an utterly amazing tale. From the start, I was drawn in to this watery world where Vanessa was
Suze Lavender
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Princess Vanessa of Atlantica has all the right talents to be her father's successor. King Poseidon has two children and her brother Triton isn't as intelligent or magically talented as she is. Vanessa is the ideal candidate, but her father seems to prefer Triton. Whatever she achieves, it's never enough for her critical and demanding father, while Triton can do whatever he wants. Vanessa regularly meets resistance and when she messes up punishment is severe.

The kingdom has been at war with huma
Michelle
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017

I was so excited to be able to get a chance to read a copy of this book. Once I saw the cover and read the synopsis I knew I needed this book in my life. As always Stacey does not disappoint, I couldn’t wait to see her take on how Ursula became the Sea Witch.

The story is told in Vanessa (Ursula) POV. Vanessa and Triton are siblings. Poseidon is their father and sadly he really didn’t pay as much attention to Vanessa as he did Triton. Vanessa tried so hard to prove herself to him, she h

Joleen (starlightbooktales)
My expectations might have been set too high for this book. I was expecting it to leave me heartbroken like Heartless did. I knew what the ending would entail. (haha) Ursula is one of the best Disney villains. My biggest issue with this book was the writing style. I didn't see or understand the point in Ursula telling the story. Her random commentary didn't make any sense. In this book, we get to explore the sea witch's history before she is well a sea witch. She got dealt some pretty unfortunat ...more
Rae (RaeAnn)
Jun 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
I have to DNF this book. The story while it seemed promising at first, just became a mess with every page. The amount of grammar and spelling errors I came across while reading this made the story all the more frustrating. However, what ultimately caused me to DNF this book was the joking way in which the author had Vanessa describe her mentor as bipolar. I am marking this book as finished because of the effort it took me to just make it through 80 pages where I ultimately stopped.
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I need to start out by saying that I've never watched Disney's "Little Mermaid" so while the book is a retelling it was somewhat more original to me. However, I can appreciate the hard work Rourke out into fleshing out the origins of this popular tale and it's one I thoroughly enjoyed and which will be counted among my favorites for some time to come.

Princess Vanessa (who eventually morphs into the Ursula people either love or hate) has spent her whole life wanting to be named as father Poseidon
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
Princess Vanessa of Atlantica and her brother Triton have been in training all their life to rule the merfolk after their father King Poseidon’s reign. While Vanessa has taken her training very serious Triton has not. Triton could care less about being the king and wants no part of it but we all know who will be king. Vanessa has fault all her life for her father to pay attention to her and care about her but with no luck. King Poseidon has always ignored Vanessa and pretended that she was not t ...more
Kayla
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: empty-my-tbr
I loved Nessa/Ursula's story so much like she was so treated badly and the story defiant captured that. ...more
Katherine Paschal
Vanessa has only had one dream and that is to be Queen of Alantica. Her every move has been designed to try and win her father's affection and approval, when it is so easily given to her younger playful brother Triton, who wants nothing more than to play. It seems that fate may not be on Vanessa's side though, and her path to the crown has more challenges that she may be able to handle.

Oh my geez, this was a great book, but is was so hard to read (in my opinion because of the life of Vanessa)! I
Jordan
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’ve always been a fan of Stacey Rourke’s retellings. They’re usually far more dark and sinister, closer to Grimm than Disney and I adore that kind of twisted carnage. This is a YA retelling of how Ursula, like from The Little Mermaid, came into existence. It explores what it takes to make an innocent and caring person turn dark, how much betrayal and anguish a person (mermaid) can take before they
crack, and whether love can truly heal all wounds.

Here’s what I loved:

Princess Vanessa is a victi
Payton (Payton's Book Thoughts)
This was the first book I read during the January round of #24in48. I was so excited going into this book, even though there was like no hype for this book. I love retellings and anything that is similar to The Little Mermaid or based on aspects on if, I'm completely down for.

With that being said, I may have set my expectations too high for this book just based on the fact it was about the Seat Witch. It's safe to say my expectations were not met because I was slightly disappointed with it. Don'
LittleDeadRedGoddessPersephone
~*3.7 Stars*~

*This review has spoilers*

I chose this as one of my books to read during a readathon (retellathon) and I did like "Rise of the Sea Witch". At the beginning of the book I was enjoying it so much I really thought that this was going to be a five star book for me but the more I read, I began to see the stars kind of falling away. The tone of the book was right, you really could hear Ursula's voice, her atitude as you read. The problem for me was that she really seemed to have no connec
teacupsandunicorns
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dude, this was awesome!!!! I recommend this to any little mermaid fan or any villain fan!
I honestly didn't think I'd love it as much as I do. I thought it was going to be a typical "boohoo my childhood was bad so now I'm angry and evil all the time."
nope. None of that. yes there is tragedy but we see how these things along with the influence of magic push her into madness and blurring the lines between good and bad, how being a sea witch empowered her in a sexist and patriarchal society that s
Sara
Aug 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, retellings
Rise of the Sea Witch is a stellar novel. Not only is it a great story overall, but it’s an excellent origin story for Ursela. The plot is great, the characterization is wonderful and it turns the sea witch into such a compelling and sympathetic character. While I wasn’t a fan of the asides to the reader and a few other things, they didn’t detract from my enjoyment of the book very much. I fully intend on reading the next novel to see what happens. I’d recommend this novel to any Little Mermaid ...more
Cheree Castellanos Edits
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can't say enough about the fantasticness of this book! Haven't you always wanted to know how Ursula became so... Ursula? How do her and King Triton know each other? Why are the feelings they have toward each other so passionate? Well, prepare to have your sea legs knocked out from under you, because you will never expect what is coming!
True to Stacey Rourke fashion, our leading lady is full of snark and wit, and you will LOVE her! And your heart will break for her! Riddled with twists and cros
Crystal Gray
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW! I listened to the audio book version of this and just wow. I don't listen to too many audio books because I just don't have the time, hence why this took me almost a month to listen to. But goodness me, this one is totally worth it! The voices of the narrator is truly something magical. Now on to the story.

Stacey never disappoints, this story. When you love the villain you KNOW the author did something right. What a heart wrenching tale.
Erin
What great backbones to be a before-they-were-villains story...but...the writing...just so many memories of not-so-great fanfiction!

I absolutely loved all of the allusions to Disney's The Little Mermaid...especially Ursula's ode to the poor unfortunate souls...but just when I though this could be a 4-star story, the author writes a sentence which repeatedly refers to a character's armpits as pits; and suddenly, the star just slips away.
Angie Maner
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rise of the sea witch

The Rise of the Sea witch was in gaging. Riveting and amazing. The story of how Ursala became to be. Was breathtakingly detailed. I laughed I cried it left me wanting more. I didn't want to put it down but had to to sleep and have a life. Stacey blew it out of the Water.
Mrs. Allen 107 (The Kansan Reader)
DNF @ 36%

No there isn't anything wrong with this book necessarily. I am not interested. I feel like it is taking forever to read and I am wanting to use my time up wisely. I have many books to attend to and I really don't want to have to drag my feet to finish one.

A total "it's not you, it's me" moment.
Lora
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!

I've always been a fan of the story of The Little Mermaid, however; it was Ursala who was my favorite. Reading this book gave me a little backstory to her and who she was. I loved the story. I love Ursala even more now.
Mandie
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was my first book by this author and I was hooked! A new, 1-click author for me!! I loved her take on the Little Mermaid! The story that this author brought to life was captivating and breath taking!
Cindy
DNF @ 46% The writing style is driving me nuts. I have been trying really hard to finish it, but I just don't want to so I am giving up. ...more
Candyce Kirk
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review to come soon on thebookdutchesses.wordpress.com
Christy Sloat
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't prepared for the wild ride that this book had in store when I started it. I was happily pleased with the story Stacey unfolded. This book isn't just a re-telling, it's a total transformation of Ursela's character.
Stacey brought to life a whole world under the sea. I loved how she included factions, mermaids and mermen, and my favorite twist; Greek mythology. Vanessa's character goes through a slew of heartbreak, backstabbing and torture that explained not only how she turned into Ursel
Heather Lovelace
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Taking a fairy tale out for a spin with an unexpected, yet clever, twist. Stacey, your writing is smart and sassy. Your characters were well developed. I appreciated the snark that would unexpectedly be exhibited by Princess Vanessa. Very well written! Now very impatiently for a next installment, please say there will be one ...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
All About Fantasy!: Rise of the sea Witch 1 5 Jul 02, 2017 10:50AM

• The Wonderland Murders
  • Late as a Rabbit (Sons of Wonderland #2)
  • Feral as a Cat (Sons of Wonderland #3)
  • Alice the Dagger: An Alice in Wonderland Retelling
  • Curiouser and Curiouser: Steampunk Alice in Wonderland (Steampunk Fairy Tales #1)
  • Outlawed (Sherwood Outlaws, #1)
  • Ice and Embers: Steampunk Snow Queen (Steampunk Fairy Tales #2)
  • Circus of the Dead, Book One
  • Fairest of All (Villains, #1)
  • Beauty and Beastly: Steampunk Beauty and the Beast (Steampunk Fairy Tales #3)
  • Riches to Rags
  • Shift (Mackenzie Grey: Origins, #1)
  • Insanity (Insanity, #1)
  • Savage Beauty
  • Arson at the Art Gallery (Getaway Bay #1)
  • Freaky Seas (A Mystic Caravan Mystery, #10)
  • Evil Thing (Villains, #7)
  • Apple of My Eye (Tiger's Eye Mystery #7)

Unfortunate Soul Chronicles (3 books)
  • Entombed in Glass (Unfortunate Soul Chronicles #2)
  • Pursuing Madness (Unfortunate Soul Chronicles, #3)