Start by marking “El reino del sueño (Las mil noches, #2)” as Want to Read:
El reino del sueño (Las mil noches, #2)

El reino del sueño (A Thousand Nights #2)

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  1,155 Ratings  ·  281 Reviews
HAN TRANSCURRIDO SIGLOS DESDE QUE LA LEGENDARIA REINA RELATORA LIBERARA AL REY DE LA OPRESIÓN DEMONÍACA.

Sus descendientes han prosperado más allá del desierto y dos nuevos reinos han florecido en cada lado de la cordillera donde los demonios se mantienen cautivos. Pero un astuto demonio ha tenido el tiempo suficiente para recuperar su influencia a base de manipulaciones y
Published July 2017 by Océano Gran Travesía México (first published December 6th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about El reino del sueño, please sign up.
E.K. Johnston I think you'll be okay. :)

I think you'll be okay. :)

(SPINDLE takes place about 1500 years after NIGHTS, and deals with some of the descendants, but in two new countries. So they refer to the events in NIGHTS, but not the details. You'll find out what happens at the end of NIGHTS, but NIGHTS is really more about the how, not the what, and SPINDLE is definitely about the OMG THINGS ARE CHASING US.)(less)

Lola
I liked this even more than I did ‘‘A Thousand Nights.’’

But you do not obligatorily have to read that one to be able to comprehend what is happening in this book. In fact, the author summarizes the first novel in the beginning.

Though I’m going to admit that there are many references to the first book.

That aside, God, E.K. Johnston really knows how to write a novel. It’s not that her world-buildings are incredibly-crafted or storylines so beautifully-weaved.

That’s not quite it. She just writes
Nastassja

First of all, one and the main reason everyone should try E.K. Johnston's books - the writing. It is so very beautiful, so fairy-tale like; every
Natalie Monroe
"The spinners were cursed, the land of Kharuf was cursed, and Little Rose could break it in a heartbeat—if only, if only they would let her have a spindle."

I only gave out a handful of 5-stars last year and one of them went to this book's predecessor A Thousand Nights. It was lush and creative and feminist, and I loved everything about it.

Spindle is, well, meh.

The writing seems less somehow, the characters not as interesting. It's ironic when you remember the protagonist in A Thousand Nights
Madison
Honestly, I don't think I have the words to convey how wonderful this book is. It simply deserves to be read and enjoyed.

Yashaa's life changed the night the curse was laid upon the Little Rose. It might have been the princess who was cursed but it was Yashaa, his mother and their community of spinners who left their home in the castle and were forced into exile. Now Yashaa is grown and his mother is dying. He has little choice when she requests him to take his friends and attempt to make a bett
Lauren (Shakespeare & Whisky)
I'm putting this aside for now. Maybe I'll read the rest at a later date but I doubt it. It just hasn't held my interest.
Alissa
Feb 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-ebooks
“Magic is about balance more than anything, and always has been since the Storyteller Queen made it in the desert,”

3.5 stars rounded down because I can’t help comparing this book to its predecessor (5 full stars for a story that took me by storm). This is a lovely fairytale where weaving is the main theme – and since I use enough sewing vocabulary in my reviews, I can add that the author waves her subtly magical world with solid skill.

Several protagonists are spinners in a land plagued by a spin
Puck
The prose and the power of friendship is strong, but sadly Kingdom of Sleep wasn’t as good and enchanting as the first book.

This story is a retelling of “Sleeping Beauty” with a few elements of “Rapunzel” thrown into the mix, and takes place in a Middle Eastern setting. The young princess Zahrah, called the Little Rose, gets cursed by a demon on her fifth birthday. Whenever she spins or creates something – a tapestry, a meal, or even a hair braid – she will slowly open her mind to be possessed
Lata
Beautifully written. A continuation of "A Thousand Nights", though this story takes place many years later among the descendants of the Storyteller Queen's sister. This is the first retelling of the Sleeping Beauty story that I enjoyed, probably because I actually liked the princess in this story, Zahrah.
Though I did not love this story as much as the first in this series, I still enjoyed it, and the author's lovely characters.
Ronak Gajjar
Concept: 2.0/5.0
Execution: 2.0/5.0
Characters Bespoken: 2.5 /5.0
Cover: 3.0/5.0
Overall: 2.0/5.0
Erin
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, series
Is it fair that so many suffer for the sake of one girl, princess or not?

E. K. Johnston follows up A Thousand Nights, with a beautifully woven tale inspired by "Sleeping Beauty" which left me completely spellbound. The kingdom of Kharuf has become trapped under the evil curse of a demon queen. Their princess, Little Rose, sits locked in a tower, awaiting her 18th birthday, pledged to marry a foreign prince. But it is not Little Rose's story that is the primary beginning of where Johnston begi
Justine
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Johnston has such a clear and lovely storyteller's voice, which she uses to great effect in this book. On the surface the tale is simple, but it has a depth that makes it very satisfying to read. I didn't love it quite as much as A Thousand Nights, but it was still quite a lovely book and very much worth spending time with.

E.K. Johnston remains a must-read author for me.
Elise (TheBookishActress)
3.5 stars. E.K. Johnston's pitch-perfect writing style is slightly muted by a meandering plot with no direction, but in general, the book still succeeds.

So, to start with the good: Johnston's prose is gorgeous, as always. She is really so talented and I'm willing to forgo pretty much any flaw because her writing clicks with me so much.

Zahrah's character is a strength of this novel. She is well-written and developed. I loved seeing a strong Sleeping Beauty with agency. Unfortunately, (view spoi
Denise
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rounded up-really about 2.5 stars as the general idea of a quest and facing demons was fine. I just couldn't connect to the characters and felt the set up of the story, the curse and the friendships, was way too cursory.
Ashley Owens
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I guess I give this 2.5 stars? I just am feeling so mixed about this and can't quite land on a final rating, but I'll leave it at that for now.

This was everything “A Thousand Nights” wasn’t… in both a good way and a bad way (mostly bad though). I didn't have a lot of deep thoughts about this book, because I didn't care about it very much. But here's what I did think:

-We know everyone’s names in this story: on the one
Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes)
In case you were not already aware, Spindle is the second book in a series. The first book is entitled A Thousand Nights.

Spindle is meant to be a retelling of the ever popular Sleeping Beauty tale. There is a girl, there is a curse, and there is a demon. If she spins bad things are supposed to happen. Etc.

And for the most part I would say that Spindle follows this idea fairly well. However, unlike most books it is not told from the point of view of the cursed princess. Instead it is told from th
Avis
Actual rating: 1.5 stars

Yeah, I think that being tied to a chair and forced to watch paint dry for 290 hours straight would be less boring than reading this book.

What happened? Is this really the same author that wrote A Thousand Nights, one of my favorite books of 2016?

Spindle is underwhelming in every aspect. The writing is noticeably worse than one in Thousand Nights- it's not even 5% of the writing in Thousand Nights.

The characters are forgettable. The only character I can remember is prince
Tami
Sep 04, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
WOA ES GIBT EINEN ZWEITEN BAND?!
Učitaj se!
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
Mnogo je vremena prošlo otkako je Kraljica Pripovjedačica istjerala demona iz svog muža, kralja, i vratila prosperitet svojoj zemlji. Demone je zatočila duboko u planinama i stvorila čudesna stvorenja da ih zauvijek čuvaju ondje.

Ali, vrijeme nikada ne prestaje teći, a zatočenim demonima vrijeme je bilo sve što im je još preostalo. Vrijeme, i strpljenje.

Dugo nakon što je svijet napustila Kraljica Pripovjedačica, jedna je demonica konačno dovoljno ojačala da baci oko na još jednu buduću nadu kralj
Krista Baetiong Tungol
If this is the kind of YA books thrown at my feet from this day forward, then I’d truly be a very happy reader. I think I’ve read enough of modern teenage dramas and romantic hullabaloos in my lifetime, and so it’s nice to read something that doesn’t include teen angst or pining over. Or maybe I enjoy books like this more because I’m currently a little obsessed with retellings; also, it did help that the author is gifted with words, and is able to tell a story in a manner so engaging and heartfe ...more
Andreea In Bookland
This book was boring, it almost put me to sleep!
The first chapters were good, the 'One thousand and one nights' and 'Sleeping Beauty' mix promised so much, the first book in the series was amazing, so many positive reviews...what the hell went wrong?!
Very disappointed!!

Tracy
It's really three and a half stars. I found the first half of the novel a bit slow. Yashaa's anger was a bit tedious. He seemed flat as a character. When he and his friends left the Crossroads and were travelling together I never felt as if I really got to know Yashaa, Saoud, Tariq, and Arwa any better. But then they kidnapped the Little Rose. And the story changed. It became something else, something bittersweet and lovely. The blossoming love story between Yashaa and Zahrah gave the story it's ...more
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Middle eastern take on Cinderella with a hint of Rapunzel, but ultimately the slow pacing kept me from enjoying this novel as much as the first, A Thousand Nights.

Opening Sentence: We know exactly how we came to these cold, hard mountains, and we remember everything that we have lost since we arrived here.

The Review:

Spindle by E.K. Johnston is a companion novel to A Thousand Nights and both novels are based off of famous stories, 1001 Nights
Brittani
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want E. K. Johnston to keep writing in this universe forever. Rewrite every fairytale, please.

So, I definitely preferred A Thousand Nights to this one - that's just more focused on like, My Shit than this one is - but I still really, really enjoyed this. This was such an intricately and beautifully woven (get it?!) story, every word felt like it was in the right place and it was lovely. And if the whole characters who have no names thing bothered you in the first book, good news! In this one t
ALEXA
Dec 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
I'm settling on a 3.5 stars for this novel, simply because I have mixed feelings on it. I did wind up actually invested in the outcome of this story and interested in the characters, and I thought the nods to the Sleeping Beauty fairytale were lovely. However, I was thrown off a wee bit by the pacing and the way the plot unfolds. Still, worth a read if you're interested at all in the premise or if you enjoyed the previous novel in this companion novel series.
Helen
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I loved A Thousand Nights and I love the poetic prose in this. I just don't love the story.

I'm also bewildered by the title. Spindle makes sense; 90% of the story has references to spinning and a drop spindle is used for this. Sleeping covers 2% of that - huh?

It was an alright read but I didn't connect to it at all.

Hopefully, my friends won't kill me and I can read her next novel.
Chandra Rooney
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
This is a book full of kind, brave people who are so good to each other. It's a balm for the soul. What a wonderful companion to A Thousand Nights!
Michelle
I appreciate this more feminist version of Sleeping Beauty. It reminds us all that life isn’t always full of daring rescues and romantic gestures. Our relationships are typically simpler and far deeper than the storybooks.

Unfortunately, it was a little disappointing after A Thousand Nights, which was such a well-crafted story.

I couldn’t quite understand the logistics of the princess’ curse or her group’s plan of breaking it. I wasn’t alone in this. Apparently, none of the characters seemed to un
  • Vassa in the Night
  • Wintersong (Wintersong, #1)
  • Untitled (Stolen Crowns, #1)
  • Kingdom of Ash and Briars (The Nissera Chronicles, #1)
  • Fire and Heist
  • Hunted
  • The Dragon's Price (Transference, #1)
  • Odd & True
  • Spectacle (Menagerie, #2)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter, #1)
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (Montague Siblings, #1)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • Fate of Flames (Effigies, #1)
  • The Radical Element (A Tyranny of Petticoats, #2)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
  • The Swan Riders (Prisoners of Peace, #2)
  • Three Sides of a Heart: Stories about Love Triangles
  • Our Dark Duet (Monsters of Verity, #2)
E.K. Johnston had several jobs and one vocation before she became a published writer. If she’s learned anything, it’s that things turn out weird sometimes, and there’s not a lot you can do about it. Well, that and how to muscle through awkward fanfic because it’s about a pairing she likes.

You can follow Kate on Twitter (@ek_johnston) to learn more about Alderaanian political theory than you really
More about E.K. Johnston

A Thousand Nights (2 books)
  • A Thousand Nights (A Thousand Nights, #1)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Caves of Steel (Robot, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
  • The Great Glass Sea
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“There are corners in the world that are too dark to see, and there are edges that are sharper than they appear, ready to snag the unwary. There are those who do not fear the things they should, and there are those who would bargain with the devil herself for the sake of their greed.The world is made safe by a woman, yes, but it is a very big world.” 6 likes
“Saoud, who wanted to belong. Arwa, who wanted her mother. Tariq, who wanted to do his work. And me…who wanted more than I could name.” 5 likes