Start by marking “Brave New World” as Want to Read:
Brave New World

Brave New World

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  1,204,199 Ratings  ·  23,569 Reviews
Far in the future, the World Controllers have created the ideal society. Through clever use of genetic engineering, brainwashing and recreational sex and drugs, all its members are happy consumers. Bernard Marx seems alone harbouring an ill-defined longing to break free. A visit to one of the few remaining Savage Reservations, where the old, imperfect life still continues, ...more
Published June 2015 by KBook (first published 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Brave New World, please sign up.
Paul What a bizarre question. No, of course it isn't. It's a classic, thought provoking, story that is loved by millions. It's the most boring thing ever…moreWhat a bizarre question. No, of course it isn't. It's a classic, thought provoking, story that is loved by millions. It's the most boring thing ever written. (less)
Liam Murray My copy of the book recommends "Island" (which it describes as a utopian version of "Brave New World") and "The Doors of Perception," which covers…moreMy copy of the book recommends "Island" (which it describes as a utopian version of "Brave New World") and "The Doors of Perception," which covers Huxley's experiences with mescaline.

I would've recommended "1984" and "The Giver," though it looks like you already read those.(less)

Kemper
Warning! The following review contains humor. If you read it and actually think that I'm being critical of Huxley, try reading it again. (Here's a hint. Look for the irony of the italicized parts when compared to the previous statements.) If you post a comment that asserts that I'm wrong/ stupid/ crazy for this and/or try to lecture me on all the points you think I missed then I'm going to assume that you read it literally, missed the joke, didn't read the other comments where I've already answe ...more
Stephen
BabyClone v2

I need to parse my rating of this book into the good (or great), the bad and the very fugly because I thought aspects of it were inspired genius and parts of it were dreggy, boring and living near the border of awful. In the end, the wowness and importance of the novel's ideas as well as the segments that I thoroughly enjoyed carried the book to a strong 3.5 star rating.

THE REALLY GOOD/EXCELLENT - I loved the first third of the book in which the basic outline of the "Brave New World" and its d
Erin
remember that last semester of english class, senior year, where every class seemed painfully long and excrutiatingly pointless? when everybody sat around secretly thinking of cute and witty things to put in other people's yearbooks? when the teachers realized we were already braindead from filling out three dozen student loan applications and college housing forms? that's when honors english started getting a little lazy.

not that i minded. everybody got a book list. then everybody got split up
Madeline
Feb 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aldous Huxley wrote Brave New World in 1932. That's almost eighty years ago, but the book reads like it could have been written yesterday. (especially interesting to me was how Huxley was able to predict the future of both genetic engineering and the action blockbuster. Damn.)

I think I liked this one better than 1984, the book traditionally considered to be this one's counterpart. Not really sure why this is, but it's probably because this one has a clearer outsider character (the Savage) who ca
Emily May
Jun 06, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, sci-fi, 2012
Wow, the anger over this rating! My first post for this book was a quote and a gif of Dean from Supernatural rolling his eyes and passing out. And people were pissed. How dare I?

Lol. I'm honestly just so tired of all the dumb comments demanding that I (all caps) "ELABORATE". It's been going on for SIX YEARS now. So I will: This is still one of the most boring emotionless books I have ever read. It seemed like a natural choice after I loved Orwell and Atwood but, my god, Huxley is a dry, dull wri
Clare
Jul 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a teenager I went through a period of reading a vast number of distopian novels - probably all the teenage angst. This is the one that has continued to haunt me however, long after the my youthful cynicism has died it's death. It's basically a book about the utopian ideal - everyone's happy, everyone has what they want and EVERYTHING is based on logical principles. However, there is something very rotten at the heart. It's about how what we want isn't always what we should get. It looks at ho ...more
Huda Yahya
I am I, and I wish I weren't.

إن كان راي برادبوري في روايته الأشهر

Bookdragon Sean
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of 1984, the Handmaid's Tale and Fahrenheit 451
Shelves: sci-fi, 5-star-reads

These are words uttered in the face of tyranny and complete oppression, though they are very rare words to be spoken or even thought of in this world because every human passion and sense of creativity is repressed and eradicated through a long and complex process of conditioning.

And that’s what makes this novel so powerful; it’s not unbelievable. Like Orwell’s 1984 and Atw
Johannes
Apr 17, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
This book presents a futuristic dystopia of an unusual kind. Unlike in Orwell's 1984, Huxley's dystopia is one in which everyone is happy. However, they are happy in only the most trivial sense: they lead lives of simple pleasures, but lives without science, art, philosophy or religion. In short, lives without deeper meaning. Although people are expected to work hard and efficiently during working hours, during off hours people live in an infantile way, never engaging their minds, and satisfying ...more
Elyse Walters
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Given that dystopian books are generally not my first choice ‘run-to-books-to-read’.... and I’m sure I didn’t understand the full depths of this book - which was written 21 years before I was born....even I can see Aldous Huxley had a brilliant mind.

I was trying to wrap my thinking around the conspiracies that it looked liked the author was trying to warn us were happening in the world —�trying to visualize the already futuristic setting —( was he thinking of 2017?)....and follow the story its
B0nnie
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Brave New World is a vision of the future where science will (at last) be put full time into the service of our needs. Some of the ideas might seem a little controversial (because of our preconceived ideas) but we must be open minded...!

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
SEX. Biology teaches that sex is meant to be had. To put restrictions on sex is as silly as putting restrictions on which chair to sit. And like chairs, women are meant to be pneumatic. "Oh, she’s a splendid girl. Wonderfully pneumatic. I’m surprised you have
Lyn
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all time favorites, this set the stage about what a dystopian story should be or not be.

First published in 1932, this is timeless and is as relevant today as when it was first written. Sixteen years before Orwell's 1984 but eleven years after We by Yevgeny Zamyatin, this is a high water mark for the genre, many of its themes could be told today. Truth be said, this co
Ahmad Sharabiani
649. Brave New World, Aldous Huxley
Brave New World is a dystopian novel by English author Aldous Huxley. Published in 1932, it propounds that economic chaos and unemployment will cause a radical reaction in the form of an international scientific empire that manufactures its citizens in the laboratory on a eugenic basis, without the need for human intercourse.
عنوانها: دنیای قشنگ نو؛ دنیای شگفت انگیز نو؛ نویسنده: آلدوس هاکسلی؛ (پیام ، نیلوفر) ادبیات؛ تاریخ نخستین خوانش: سوم ماه آوریل سال 2000 میل
Lisa
"You all remember," said the Controller, in his strong deep voice, "you all remember, I suppose, that beautiful and inspired saying of Our Ford's: History is bunk. History, " he repeated slowly, "is bunk."

The rhetorical skills of the Controller remind me of the Epsilon Semi-Moron who runs one of the bravest new worlds in our current era in bunk.

As I had forgotten the major plot of this dystopian novel written just when fascism emerged in the 1930s, some fifteen years before the nuclear age, I
Dan Schwent
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, 2016-books
In a dystopian society of genetically engineered consumers pacified by drugs and conditioning, Bernard Marx cannot seem to fit in. When he visits a Savage reservation, his eyes are opened and he brings one of the savages back to England with him...

As I continue my bleak science fiction parade toward the new year, I wonder why I've never read Brave New World before.

In Brave New World, Aldous Huxley takes on consumerism, the media, genetic engineering, recreational drugs, religion, herd mentality,
Nataliya
Brave New World is a classic written to make its readers uncomfortable. It accomplishes its point well. Still, it is only getting 3 stars from me, as I rate books based on my personal level of enjoyment rather than literary value.

The characters of this book were not meant to be likeable - I am fine with that concept. The first few chapters made me want to curl up in the corner and cry - that's how repulsive the design of this universe was (mission accomplished, Mr. Huxley). But as we plunge int
Foad
آیا دنیای ما بیشتر شبیه 1984 جورج اورول است، یا دنیای قشنگ نوی آلدوس هاکسلی؟

اورول از آدم هایی می ترسید که کتاب ها را ممنوع می کنند.
اما هاکسلی از این می ترسید که دلیلی برای ممنوع کردن کتاب وجود نداشته باشد، چون اصلاً کسی خودش نخواهد که بخواند.

اورول از کسانی می ترسید که ما را از دسترسی به اطلاعات محروم کنند.
اما هاکسلی از این می ترسید که کسانی آن قدر ما را غرق در اطلاعات کنند که ذهن ما مصرف کنندۀ غیرفعّال اطلاعات شود، یا تبدیل به آدم های سطحی خودشیفته شویم.

اورول از این می ترسید که حقیقت از ما پنهان
İntellecta
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
about 120 pages, the story becomes very boring, since it is mostly the feelings of the protagonists. However, this attempt to identify me emotionally with the characters did not touch, since it is quite bizarre.
So I felt more like having a classical drama in a modern world in front of me.

Fazit:
quite weak translation into German,
grammar partly catastrophic, so sentences lose their meaning.
Leo .
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
😈Who are the Puppet Masters? What are they up to?

Is this paradigm changing? For me and for you😇

Are we dancing to a different song?

On this Earth, do we really belong?

Will we inherit, this beautiful garden of Life, and Love and Compassion?

Are these Puppet Masters, going out of fashion?

Is the game up? The lifting of this Veil

Are we awakening, from an old, fading, weakening Spell? 🐯👍

Am I a Templar? Am I an Assassin? A Lord? A Sir? A Priest? A Monk? A Usurper? A Slaver? A Satanist? A Mystic? A Druid?
Adina
I finally managed to finish the dystopian classics triangle - 1984, Fahrenheit 451 and Brave new World. For me the winner is Brave New World. Although I find the world imagined is less realistic than the other two it is equally tragic.

I finally got that somewhat lost feeling of total happiness when reading a book, that tingle in the pleasure receptors when you find a great book. Even though I recently read many books that I loved I seem to have lost that feeling of satisfaction when being face
Markus
Sometimes a book just isn’t what you want it to be.

There is little doubt that Brave New World is a genre classic, heavily contributing to defining the dystopian genre. There is just as little doubt that Aldous Huxley was an important influence on some of the writers I respect the most, among them George Orwell and Steven Runciman, both of whom were Huxley’s students at the University of Cambridge.

Unfortunately, I found nothing to appreciate about it.

Maybe my general distaste for dystopia hit me
Dale Pearl
This book is on many a top 100 reading list. Aldous Huxley has the reputation of being an intellectual giant. His heritage places him in the land of England, the place where all of the great literary giants come. A Brave New World unfortunately does not live up to the credits,pedigree or even the cult following that chases after it.

Summary: In a nutshell this book is a mess. I am assuming that the majority of individuals that rate this book high on a novel list or 5 star it on here on amazon do
Luís C.
Hallucinogenic Drugs, Virtual Sex, Alienated People. Brave New World is a futuristic novel, traced by Aldous Huxley, who was considered one of the greatest prophetic writers of the 20th century; Aldous, who wrote about the effect of LSD and mescaline, brought from his hallucinogenic sessions ideas that were at the very least intriguing, so much so that some renowned scientists at the time chose him for research into the effect of hallucinogens on humans.
Aldous used drugs, had hallucinations and
Valerie
Jun 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Valerie by: Dad
Shelves: cypresslibrary
This book is frightening. I'll take it to my classroom and subject the innocents to it.
Barry Pierce
Such a happy tale. Now I remember why I don't read dystopia all that often, it's depressing as motherfuck. I liked this novel but I do think it's the weakest out of the Big Dystopia 3 (the other two being Nineteen Eighty-Four and Fahrenheit 451). I'd recommend it on the basis of just how innovative and subversive this novel really is, along with a good plot and an interesting world. Don't read this if you're feeling shitty though, oh god.
Issa Deerbany
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
فكرة عميقة يحملها هذا الكتاب، مقابل المتع الجسدية يتم ذلك على حساب الحرية، الحرية بكل اشكالها.

كل شيء مخطط له من اختيار الجينات يتم تقسيم البشر حسب طبقتهم وإعدادهم للإهمال التي تناسبهم والاهم من كل ذلك غرس فكرة المجتمع الاستهلاكي في عقولهم.

لا يوجد أسرة ولا أمومة ولا اَي من العواطف البشرية، الحب، الغيرة، الشجاعة، الفروسية، ولا حتى دوافع نفسية كالشعرة والتميز الفردي، كلها صفات وتصرفات لا ضرورة لها في هذا المجتمع المسخر للعمل والاستهلاك واللهو.

حتى الاله لا حاجة له فكل الإحساسات يتم السيطرة عليها بوا
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
CAREFUL OF SPOILERS!
This is a 'viviparous mother' of all dystopian worlds! Yes, 'viviparous', 'mother' or 'father' are indecent jokes in the time of 'Our Ford'.
This world is majorly fucked up, just like its 1984 edition. Perhaps even more so! This one is also a cold one. Here, exogenesis, 'Bokanovsky's Process' and 'Podsnap's Technique' have taken over human progenity. Babies are no longer born, instead they are 'decanted'.
Here, you get to undergo an operation to remove your gametes 'voluntar
Joey Woolfardis
O, wonder!
How many goodly creatures are there here!
How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world,
That has such people in't!

Miranda, The Temptest, William Shakespeare

Read as part of The Infinite Variety Reading Challenge, based on the BBC's Big Read Poll of 2003.

My reading of this book has been an adventure in itself, not just in a metaphorical sense but in an incredibly boring physical adventure. I began it in September, but then I was marvellously interrupted by the 2016 Rio Olympics and that p
Lit Bug
Oct 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Samadrita
To cut a long story short, the inescapable destiny of every society is to morph into a dystopia. Alternatively, a biting satire on capitalism and consumerism.

College Students! : Confusing and tough required reading.. 5 98 Nov 13, 2018 01:31PM
What is Purefit Keto Ireland Purefit Keto 1 2 Nov 08, 2018 03:01PM
September: Brave New World 1 12 Oct 01, 2018 05:11AM
UCAS English 11 R...: September Book Review 1 4 Sep 30, 2018 08:51PM
UCAS English 11 R...: September Reading Assignment 1 3 Sep 30, 2018 03:14PM
  • The Wanting Seed
  • The Penultimate Truth
  • Darkness at Noon
  • Make Room! Make Room!
  • Neuromancer (Sprawl, #1)
  • The Year of the Flood  (MaddAddam, #2)
  • The Way of All Flesh
  • Animal Farm / 1984
  • Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1)
  • This Perfect Day
  • Star Maker
  • The End of Eternity
  • Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
  • The Midwich Cuckoos
  • Adulthood Rites (Xenogenesis, #2)
  • Light in August
  • Vurt (Vurt #1)
  • Schrödinger's Cat Trilogy
Aldous Leonard Huxley was an English writer and one of the most prominent members of the famous Huxley family. He spent the latter part of his life in the United States, living in Los Angeles from 1937 until his death in 1963. Best known for his novels and wide-ranging output of essays, he also published short stories, poetry, travel writing, and film stories and scripts. Through his novels and es ...more
“Words can be like X-rays if you use them properly -- they’ll go through anything. You read and you’re pierced.” 4669 likes
“But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin.” 3170 likes