Start by marking “Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)” as Want to Read:
Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)

Killman Creek

(Stillhouse Lake #2)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  30,573 ratings  ·  2,525 reviews
Every time Gwen closed her eyes, she saw him in her nightmares. Now her eyes are open, and he’s not going away.

Gwen Proctor won the battle to save her kids from her ex-husband, serial killer Melvin Royal, and his league of psychotic accomplices. But the war isn’t over. Not since Melvin broke out of prison. Not since she received a chilling text…

You’re not safe anywhere now
Published December 12th 2017 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about Killman Creek, please sign up.
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books) Bloggers, librarians, and other media outlets have the opportunity to get some books as advanced copies, in order to help generate buzz around…moreBloggers, librarians, and other media outlets have the opportunity to get some books as advanced copies, in order to help generate buzz around upcoming books. If you don't fall into one of those categories, generally you'll have to wait until the book is released to read it. That said, keep an eye out on the Goodreads Giveaway pages - sometimes they do giveaways for upcoming books too, so maybe this will end up being one of them :) (less)

·  30,573 ratings  ·  2,525 reviews

Emily May
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melvin Royal stalks me in the brief darkness when I close my eyes. Blink, and he's on the street. Blink, and he's walking up the stairs of the motel to the second floor's open walkway. Blink, and he's outside the door. Listening.

Going into Killman Creek - the sequel to Stillhouse Lake - I wasn't that excited about it. I really enjoyed the first book but I figured, given how things were left at the end, this sequel would be a standard game of cat and mouse until eventually the bad guy was caught
Deanna
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

This is the second book in the “Stillhouse Lake” series by Rachel Caine. I really enjoyed the first novel. However, it did end with a cliffhanger which normally would have driven me up the wall. Thankfully I had this book ready to go.

Although this could be read as a stand-alone book, I really think it would be much more enjoyable if you read the first novel too. Having the background of the story and the characters would def
Meredith
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twisted and Disturbing!

Killman Creek is the second installment in the Stillhouse Lake series. I would highly recommend reading SL before reading this book!

To avoid spoilers, I have not included a plot summary.

I enjoyed Killman Creek, but I didn’t like it as much as Stillhouse Lake. Part of the reason why is the narrative structure of Killman Creek. Stillhouse Lake is told from Gwen’s point of view, whereas in Killman Creek the reader hears from Gwen, Connor (Gwen’s son), Lanny (Gwen’s daughte
Berit☀️✨
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, 2018
4.5 KILLER STARS 🌟🌟🌟🌟.5 Wow! What a follow up to Stillhouse Lake..... i’d strongly encourage you to read the first book before you read this, simply because you might be a little lost and the first book is fabulous as well!

What would it be like to find out you were married to a serial killer? Or even more frightening.... What would it be like to find out you are the child of a serial killer?

In this book you not only get Gwen’s perspective but also the perspective of her children Lanny and Connor
Larry H
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm at 4.5, maybe 4.75 stars here, but I'll round up.

After delivering a heart-pounding, stay-up-real-late-to-finish-it thriller with Stillhouse Lake (which was one of the best books I read last year), Rachel Caine returns with Killman Creek , another adrenaline-boosted installment in this series. Once again, she delivers quite a punch!

“For years I clung to a terrible fiction of a marriage—a life in which Melvin Royal controlled every aspect of my reality, and I failed to realize or fear it. G
Chelsea Humphrey
Another solid installment in the series. I’ll admit I was wary to pick this one up at first; I thought Stillhouse Lake worked well as a stand alone novel and was concerned that the “chasing the bad guy while also on the run” plot would wear thin. However, Killman Creek was everything I wanted it to be (for the most part). Instead of trying to turn this into a twisty mystery, it took the straightforward thriller approach. There are very few surprises here, but that doesn’t do anything to diminish ...more
Susanne  Strong
4.75 Nerve-Wracking Riveting Stars* (rounded up).

In “Killman Creek” the sequel to “Stillhouse Lake” Gwen Proctor and her two kids, Lanny, Connor and Sam Cade are back. They survived that harrowing ordeal, barely. Unfortunately, for them, it’s not over. But we knew it wouldn’t be, right? And this time, everything has been thrown at Gwen, Sam, Lanny and Connor. So much so that it is tearing them apart, picking them apart even. Using everything possible to wear them down. Gwen needs to fight with e
RedemptionDenied
This has the same format, as another book, I read, recently: multiple first-person perspectives. Now we have: Gwen, Lanny, Connor and Sam's narratives; as opposed to just Gwen's POV - which makes it more interesting. We don't have Melvins' perspective, though. Probably because, it would kill the suspense aspect of the story. I guess.

The sequel starts on the twelve night (Gwen's perspective) after the events of book one. Gwen, Sam, Lanny and Connor are in a motel room - when she receives a court
Kylie D
A continuation of the Stillhouse Lake series. In this book Melvin has escaped from prison and is coming after his family. It's different from the first book in that each chapter is seen from the different point of view of four characters, which gives an interesting look into each of their mindsets. Gwen, who will do anything to protect her children, Sam, who isn't sure what to believe when confronted with conflicting evidence, Lanny, on the cusp of womanhood and Connor, who is being used as a pa ...more
KAS
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Exciting follow-up to “Stillhouse Lake!”

This was a fast paced listen and I loved all the different narrators.

I enjoyed this one slightly more than the first as it seemed to be a tad more “thrilling.”

There is one more book in this series. From what I can glean from reviews, it continues to be about the same storyline featuring the same cast of characters.

One could definitely stop with this read and feel you received a decent ending to all the madness, but if you loved Gwen’s brutal confidence
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Poor Gwen, she just survived some crazy stuff from book one of this series and then there is the fact that she was married to a big old serial killer (and had no clue.) She just wants a calm life with her kids...and she knows that both of them are all kinds of mentally jacked up. But does she get that break? Nope. She is gonna have to don the cape again so that she and her kids will have even a chance of a normal life.

***sorta spoilery if you haven't read the first one**
Gwen's ex (the crazy se
Norma * Traveling Sister
Gripping, intense & unputdownable!

This was an absolutely fabulous follow up to Stillhouse Lake by Rachel Caine!

This wasn’t my first reading experience with this author as I have read all of her Weather Warden Series. So when I seen that she had a thriller genre book out I quickly grabbed this one from NetGalley. I just knew that I had to read this book and oh my goodness I forgot how much I love this authors writing style. Although at the time I didn’t realize that it was a sequel so I purch
Christina - Traveling Sister
4.5, what a freakin' follow up stars!!!

Full review featured on my blog Recipe & a Read!

Woah, woah, woah ya'll, this is not at all what I expected from book 2 of the Stillhouse Lake series by Rachel Caine! So first on the docket for this book: you 100% have to read the first book in this series. The second installment will not function as a stand alone and you will be generally lost and also miss out on a lot of top notch character development if you don't read the first novel. Book two doesn
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Ugg, a bunch of dicks in this book!! I loved the audible narrators in the book!! I decided to listen instead of reading my kindle. I think I will do the same for the next book! 😉

Buddy read with For Love Of A Book!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas)
3.5 psychopathic stars for the continuation of the War of the Royals in Killman Creek.

I was really looking forward to Killman Creek . I thoroughly enjoyed Stillhouse Lake and welcomed a 2nd story between the Royals. I might be in the minority but after reading Killman Creek, I have to admit that I enjoyed Stillhouse Lake more.

I really like Gwen as a character and while this sequel was satisfying, it also fell just a little flat for me compared to its predecessor. Maybe my expectations were t
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: ...she's someone's daughter.

She's standing on the balls of her feet, straining to keep her balance, because if she relaxes at all, the noose bites into her neck. It's deliberate and cruel and finely calculated, just like the tools hung on pegboard, arrayed in order on the walls. On the wooden workbench, toolboxes stand open to display wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers . . . all color-coded, aligned in precise rows in the drawers.

Precise in his barbarity.

There are two other people in the
Carrie
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Killman Creek by Rachel Caine is the second book in the Stillhouse Lake series. The first book in the series, Stillhouse Lake, introduced readers to Gwen Proctor who had gone into hiding with her two children after it was found that her husband was a serial killer. The trio had been on the run for several years not only trying to make sure that her husband who had gone to prison wouldn't know of their whereabouts but also the vigilantes that thought Gwen was an accomplice to the killings instead ...more
Holly  B
I'm not going to review this one because of fear of spoilers and I can't talk about this one without spoiling the first one! I loved the first one Stillhouse Lake #1 and not so much this one.

I'm in the minority as most liked this one more!! Perhaps this one was too dark for me or too graphic, but I think it was just predictable and not very believable for me. I do love the character of Gwen and I did like how it ended....no spoilers though!
Sarah Joint
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Warning: this review will obviously contain spoilers for the first book, because this is the sequel. What are you doing here? Go read the first one. Geez.

Action-packed but emotional, this is basically the sequel I was expecting after reading the first one. I liked the first book a little more, maybe because I felt more connected to the characters because they were all together. In this story, Gwen is separate from her children... this time, willingly. When she was in prison fighting to prove he
R.K. Gold
I was back and forth with my review for this book while I was reading it. At times I thought it could even be a 4 and at its worst I thought giving it a 1 might be too generous. Obviously the good outweighed the bad and entertained me enough to give it a solid three.

This review will contain some spoilers so if those bug you I suggest you stop reading here.

I'm not sure if this review will have any rhyme or reason. I doubt it will have any order. I just finished this book not even two minutes ago
Marialyce
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
Calling all those readers who love thrillers, tense drama, family love, and chills down your spine. This was a book that had it all. The action, the motivation, the characters kept pushing themselves forth in your mind until you felt exactly what it was they were feeling and doing. While you may think that this could never happen, just remember too that " A psychopath is born every 47 seconds.” (Kent A. Kiehl)

Gwen was married to a killer, a psychopath, a father to her children,, and a man who ha
Liz
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

One of the (many) benefits of netgalley is forcing you to keep up with a series. I loved Stillhouse Lake, but never got around to reading Killman Creek. Being approved for Wolfhunter River, I knew I needed to finally read this.

The second in the series starts off with Gwen, Sam and the kids on the run from Melvin and his apostles. But then Gwen decides to put herself out there as bait, attempting to draw Melvin out.

I liked that this book gave us everyone’s perspective, especially the kids. Book
Jonetta
First, this isn’t a series you read out of order. It has a continuing story arc and this book picks up where the first ends. Nevertheless, I’ll keep this spoiler free.

Gwen Proctor has to leave Stillhouse Lake to protect her family from the long arm of a powerful network of online trolls who go way beyond empty threats and harassment. They’ve now found a way to shred her credibility with her own network of friends and family, which was already a very short list.

This truly is a thriller that aff
Babydimps (Suzy)
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25 stars!

Okay, I didn’t think it would be possible to get any better than the first book in the series - Stillhouse Lake - but OH EM GEE, it did!

Killman Creek is nothing short of awesome! A super intense, gripping, edge of your seat thriller and a glorious follow up to the first book. Rachel Caine is a magnificent storyteller, my friends. Seriously, the action just keeps coming at you throughout. I loved how this book varied from the first in that there were four POVs. Way more action, terro
I think about that colorful old rug again, a piece of home inside a monster’s den. I can’t decide if that was him trying to still be Dad, or if the monster was all there ever was, and Dad was a mask he wore to mock us.

The sequel to Stillhouse Lake picks up twelve days after the events that ended the first book. It had been a few months since I'd read this one, but had no problem whatsoever jumping back into Gwen Proctor's fight for her children's safety and hunt for her sadistic ex-husband. Wha
Zoeytron
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: public-library
There are monsters walking among us.  Sick and evil to the very core, how is it possible they look so normal?  They are able to blend all too well.  We may be working with them, living in the same neighborhood, or even married to one.  The hunted turns into the hunter.  No hiding place is assured.  Trust is at a premium, can it be afforded at all?

I'm not going to say too much about this so those of you who intend to read Stillhouse Lake won't be privy to spoilery information from this review of
L.A. Starks
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
High-octane non-stop suspense from start to finish from a gifted, professional author.

Highly recommended, though only for adults.
Rachel Hall
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Nightmares aren’t frightening once you wake up. Memories are.”

After meeting the woman formerly known as Gina Royal and seeing her experiences at the mercy of ex-husband and serial killer, Melvin, in Stillhouse Lake I confess to having high expectations for a storming second encounter. Thankfully they were not only met but thoroughly surpassed by Rachel Caine, however this review does come with the same proviso that concluded my review of the first novel; namely that this is excellent eye-rollin
Amy
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
4.5/5

A couple of months ago I read Stillhouse Lake and really enjoyed it and after the way it ended I was dying to get my hands on a copy of Killman Creek. I ended up liking this one even more than the first, it was exciting, tense and the type of page turner that kept me up way past my bedtime.

WARNING! Stop reading here if you haven’t read book one because there will be some spoilers. So when SL ended Gwen’s sadistic ex husband had managed to escape from prison and she knew he was coming for he
Dennis
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
A fun read, with some issues that ultimately made it less enjoyable than the first book in the series.

If you’ve not read Stillhouse Lake but intend to do so, you should not read the blurb of Killman Creek and probably should skip my review as well. SPOILERS FOR THE PREVIOUS BOOK are inevitable, because the whole set-up alone is a huge spoiler for the first book. You’ve been warned.

Gwen Proctor is the ex-wife of infamous serial killer Melvin Royal who’d been on death-row during the events of th

• Dying Breath (Detective Lucy Harwin, #2)
  • The Murderers' Club (Sophie Anderson, #2)
  • Like Lions (Bull Mountain, #2)
  • Innocent Prey (Brown and De Luca, #3)
  • Last Lullaby (Detective Natalie Ward, #2)
  • With a Vengeance
  • Sinister (Shaye Archer #2)
  • Seized (The Profiler #3)
  • City of the Lost (Rockton, #1)
  • Into the Black Nowhere (UNSUB, #2)
  • Tabula Rasa (Gaius Petreius Ruso, #6)
  • Angel of Death (Steel City #2)
  • The Surviving Girls (Hidden Sins, #3)
  • The Teacher's Tales of Terror
  • Hello Again (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #2)
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
  • A Steep Price (Tracy Crosswhite, #6)
  • Walking the Bones (Ryan DeMarco Mystery #2)

Stillhouse Lake (4 books)
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
  • Wolfhunter River (Stillhouse Lake, #3)
  • Bitter Falls (Stillhouse Lake #4)
“But the past never leaves us. It’s in every breath, every cell, every second. I know that now.” 3 likes
“A petty kind of power is still power.” 1 likes