Start by marking “Self-Publisher's Legal Handbook, Second Edition: Updated Guide to Protecting Your Rights and Wallet” as Want to Read:

Building on the best-selling success of the original Self-Publisher’s Legal Handbook, Helen Sedwick wrote this expanded second edition to help writers stay out of court and at their desks.
Using 30 years of legal experience, Sedwick shows writers how to
• Set up their business
• Protect their copyright
• Avoid infringement
• Spot scams
• Save on taxes
This second edition
Published June 14th 2017 by Ten Gallon Press

Start your review of Self-Publisher's Legal Handbook, Second Edition: Updated Guide to Protecting Your Rights and Wallet
Laurie Evans
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book has more than legal advice. The author lays out the steps in starting an author business, with good details and examples. Very well researched and detailed, but the information is presented in a very clear way. I really wish I'd found this book when I first started my author business. It would've saved me a lot of time trying to gather this information from various sources all over the web. Some of the information I found online was outdated or incorrect. This second edition is updated ...more
Kenn Bivins
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For Every Serious Writer

While this book is not considered to be legal advice, it contains valuable legal oversight of the publishing industry that every serious writer should know. I highly recommend this.
Ronel Janse van Vuuren
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I got this book because I learned of it in this year’s Women in Publishing Summit and thought that it would be a good addition to my writing career library.

A few of the chapters are truly important, though if you’ve been on the publishing landscape for a while you would have learned most of it on popular blogs/podcasts.

Most of the legal and tax advice is US-centric. Which means it added nothing of value to me as a South African (I learned much more from a session at my local SARS office). There’
Alex Everette
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business-ref
***I received this book for free in a Goodreads giveaway.***

When reading books of advice and suggestions, such as this, I’m firmly of the opinion that reading widely is your best bet. While one book can help to give you an idea at what work you’re facing down, reading a number of books on the topic allows you to compare and contrast the suggestions given and therefor to parse out which ideas are commonly agreed upon good business sense, which are contentious stances on a decision, and which seem
Mike Kowis
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read the 1st edition of this book a few years ago and found it extremely helpful in my efforts to self-publish my first book. At that time, I happily gave it 5 stars. When I discovered the 2nd edition was published, I honestly didn't think there was any way to improve the original. But I was wrong! This 2nd edition is even better.

If you haven't read either version, just get the 2nd edition and that will be all you need in my opinion.

The 2nd edition does a great job of explaining the critical
Shannon Lawrence
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly helpful guide for us writers trying to be business people in addition to our writing. There are things in here that I can't use YET, but I will definitely come back to when the time comes, so this will be a bit of a bible for me in my writing business. Useful even if you aren't going to self-publish, as there's information for writers getting paid, too, but absolutely wonderful for those of us trying to start a business. She's personable and obviously happy to help fellow writers. I ...more
Boris Slocum
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: law
Nobody wants to need a lawyer. Hell, I'm a lawyer and have a hard time dealing with them. For that precise reason, good books like this are a godsend. It doesn't tell you everything you need to know, but it teaches just enough to start developing a spidey-sense about problems (like, can I use the phrase "spidey-sense" in my book, or is that copyrighted?)

It's worth the few ducats to buy and the few hours it will take to read. You don't need to know the law, you just need to know when you might
Chris Norbury
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing-craft
A good reference book to keep handy when legal questions arise for your writing business. Clear and concise. Doesn't go into a great deal of depth, which is to be expected because the favorite answer of many lawyers to legal questions is: "It depends."

All authors should have some sort of legal reference in their personal libraries because most of us are running a business, and all of us need to take care to avoid plagiarism and copyright violations.
Jeanne Grace
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: winners, read-3
I first want to say thanks to Ten Gallon Press and Goodreads Giveaway for picking me to review this book. I really enjoyed this book. There is a lot of great information I would have never thought to do until after the fact. This book is going to save me a lot of headache, for that I am very grateful. I plan to give this book to a friend and amazing contemporary christian romance author Laura Hervey. She is one to watch!
Rae Graham
Dec 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I read large segments at a time while taking notes, because that's just what I do when I want to know something. I've obviously spent too much time in school It was a lot to take at once, but the information was very helpful with many topics I had never considered before. Overall, I feel much more prepared to start off as an indie! ...more
Valerie
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
More than a guide to the legal ramifications of self-publishing, this includes a lot of the basics of how to self-publish - marketing, printing, using contractors. It's clearly and engagingly written, and it includes massive amounts of well-researched helpful advice in a short, readable format. Highly recommended.
Thea Alger
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good book for new authors

Great advice. I’m just starting out and reading this book was perfect timing. I’m almost ready to publish but then started reading to get a better idea of the business side of self publishing. Good thing I did. I learned a lot
Billijo Link
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This slim handbook provides a broad overview helping the self-publishing author and creative in “…minimizing legal risks and errors.” The appendix of ‘Understanding Key Contract Terms’ was a bonus that I didn’t know I wanted/needed until I read it.
B K Hoffman
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exactly what are the rules of self publishing and what are your rights. Helen Sedwick took readers comments and updated her manual for publishing. I found that it was very readable, and a good reference for writers who want to publish.
Michael Swanson
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
An excellent overview and primer for self-publishers.
Paty Jager
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Answered many of the questions I needed answered.
Tyler Butcher
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding

Lots of Good information presented in a good format. Really helpful for any Indie Author or up and coming self published author.
Jeff shnall
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Informative, clearly written, very useful info for indie writers to set up their writing business on proper legal footing.
Meredith
Overwhelming, but it's good to have all this information in one place, rather than trying to remember on my own all the stuff I'm supposed to be looking up and figuring out before I publish.
Sandy
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-requested
This book was very helpful and will come in handy.

I received book free in a Goodreads giveaway.
Amanda Mae
Jul 29, 2017
Eileen Hammond
Jul 06, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• Successful Self-Publishing: How to self-publish and market your book in ebook and print
  • Business Tips and Taxes for Writers
  • Let's Get Digital: How to Self-Publish, and Why You Should
  • The Ninth District (Volume 1)
  • How To Market A Book
  • Track of the Cat (Anna Pigeon, #1)
  • Bel-Ami
  • Complete Works of Thomas De Quincey
  • Gangsters, Geishas, Monks & Me: A Memoir of Three Years in the Underbelly of Japan
  • The Beetle Leg
  • The Real Story of Bat Masterson (The Wild West)
  • Pnin
  • Gargantua and Pantagruel
  • Heretic: Why Islam Needs a Reformation Now
  • Bend Sinister
  • Domestic Manners of the Americans
  • Bouvard and Pécuchet: A Tragi-comic Novel of Bourgeois Life (Chapters 1-8)
  • Cesar Millan's Short Guide to a Happy Dog: 98 Essential Tips and Techniques
Author and University of Chicago Law School graduate, Helen Sedwick has represented small businesses and entrepreneurs for 30 years. Her self-published historical novel Coyote Winds has earned five-star reviews from ForeWord Reviews and is an IndieBRAG Medallion Honoree. Publisher’s Weekly lists her Self-Publisher’s Legal Handbook as one of the top five resource books for independent authors. ...more