Start by marking “You Do You: How to Be Who You Are and Use What You've Got to Get What You Want” as Want to Read:
You Do You: How to Be Who You Are and Use What You've Got to Get What You Want

You Do You: How to Be Who You Are and Use What You've Got to Get What You Want

From the New York Times bestselling author of The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F*ck and Get Your Sh*t Together comes more straight talk about how to stand up for who you are and what you really want, need, and deserve--showing when it's okay to be selfish, why it's pointless to be perfect, and how to be "difficult."

Being yourself should be easy, yet too many of
Published November 21st 2017 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about You Do You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Do You

Start your review of You Do You: How to Be Who You Are and Use What You've Got to Get What You Want
Kalyn Nicholson
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-development
Sarah Knight seems like a badass I could hangout with.
Although, my dog does sleep in my bed so maybe she wouldn't say the same lol.
Heidi The Reader
The self-styled "anti-guru" Sarah Knight adds another volume to her quirky, profanity-laden self-help series with You Do You.

The focus, as you can guess from the title, is the art of allowing your authentic self to shine through without feeling guilt or being so far out of the social norms that you border on "psychopath."

You Do You is about accepting your strengths and your flaws, whether those flaws are self-identified, or just things that you're perfectly happy about but that other people seem
Laura Rash
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As always, Sarah Knight gives realistic advice with a grand sense of fucking humor! I always walk away from reading her books with my head held a little higher & my middle finger ready to extend to those who don’t like the choices I make to improve me!
Thanks to Little Brown & Sarah for this early copy!
She
Jan 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018
I didn't like this book at all. I felt like it was written by someone who forgot to mature when they became an adult. Too shallow, no substance, and part of the problem. This book makes people think the world revolves around them and what the do and say doesn't matter at all. Two many attempts to be funny (when they were not) and too many plugs for other books (which I won't be reading). Two thumbs down!
✰ Liz ✰
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing

description

You Do You: Who You are and Use What You've Got to Get What You Want is another winning read by my new self-help guru/philosopher/audible mentor! It's so easy to know what you should know about yourself and just do it...but the truth is there are always those voices inside (and outside) that are always telling you I have always prided myself in being a strong person and yet the people pleaser in me is always doing exactly opposite of what I really want to do. If you can identify with my plight,
Jenb16
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I typically like reading a motivational self-help book in January. I just found this soooo basic. There was absolutely nothing new that the title of the cover doesn’t cover. Very mehhhhhhh.
Diane
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I did enjoy this book but essentially it is full of very bad advice that I want to take, especially around Christmas and baby shower season. Haha! I could write this exact same book myself if I too could pack up my entire life and move to the Dominican Republic. Pretty easy to get out of all the social commitments and pressures when you are that far away from everyone. No sooner had I finished a chapter on how to be more selfish did I read a chapter on how important it is not to be selfish in th ...more
Nancy
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Nothing revolutionary here, but then again, I think this book is aimed at late teens or early 20-somethings 😄. The author celebrates individualism, which I think is great, but if you’re always “doing you” I wonder if you impede your own growth sometimes? Are you really “you doing you” or just living out your outdated habits? I’ll need to think on it some more, but two stars is all this book gets for now!
AnnaG
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: aty2019, 2019, non-fiction
Sarah Knight's advice seems to boil down to: do what you think is right for you and don't take advice from other people because what do they know? Her book has two premises that I don't think are true (1) that you really know yourself and what is in your interests (do you?) and (2) that other people couldn't possibly understand you better and see more clearly where you are likely to end up than you can (because standing in the middle of the whirlwind gives the clearest viewpoint, or something... ...more
Cyndi
Apr 24, 2020 rated it liked it
This happens to be one of my favorite sayings. I use it all the time in my job. Whenever a customer comes up to me in the plumbing department and ignores my years of experience because their gender means they are natural plumbers, I just say, "Ok. You do you." In other words, "I know you'll be back to admit your plan didn't work and you want to try it the way its supposed to be done. But you try it your way."
In this book our heroine is giving good advice to people to not work so hard to follow
Katie (katieladyreads)
Eh this felt to me like a long winded stand-up comedy routine that continually referenced points made in her two previous books but in between all that she did make some insightful points about “letting your freak flag fly”
Joseph
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
An honest and funny book about strategies and tips to being who you are, particularly in the face of this superficial culture. You will notice right away the language in this book to be harsh, but the author balances out the harshness with humor and an assurance that her intentions are just to get you to break free of expectations and live happily as you are.
Pree Bee
May 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
Lacked depth. I could have called a friend or my sister.
I was hoping for some enlightening revelation that helped me get what I being me.

Nope.

This was very basic bitching, lots of curse words randomly scattered, and probably good for an 18 year old or twenty one year old starting their first job. Not great if you have learned these lessons already.
Diana
I listened to this because I was too tired to read since I was sick all week and therefore I might have missed the point.

I don't think I need a "you do you" lesson, because I've never really had a problem with being my own person. I'm a bookworm, who loves electro swing, will (literally) wear my fandom on my sleeve and have no problem doing my own thing.
Or saying what I want. Which might be the lesson I need: be you, but don't be so mean about it.
Angie Dokos
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not only good advice, but hilarious. I don’t agree with everything she says, and some people will hate all the cussing, but it was enjoyable to me. Very entertaining, and encouraging.
Derek Snyder
Aug 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
Low on substance and didn’t take much away. Tried and failed to be funny.
Rebecca Viner
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’ve just finished reading You Do You (Sarah’s third book) and LOVED it as much as the others. It was just the reminder I needed and was such a true reflection of today’s society and the reality of the judgements we face every day. This book even got me singing when I stopped at traffic lights - something I would usually feel embarrassed about doing!
Kat
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As far as self improvement books go, this is one of my favorites. It's funny, simple, to the point, with great advice on how to do what makes you happy and why it's ok to put yourself first and stop caring about what other people think. I especially related to the rant about people who tell you to smile, may they stub their toes every morning.
Jill
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. This book had some good points of discussion, but I personally dislike any person who purposefully goes out of their way to show how zany and crazy they are. Yeah, it's great to be weird- I believe in embracing your weird- but this seems pretty attention-seeking.
Tumi   Mwendile
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book definitely deserves a 4 ⭐. If 2018 is your year of AUTHENTICITY AND SELF-ACCEPTANCE, this is the book to read. Without a doubt, Sarah Knight authentically shares the best life lessons of you being yourself. This "anti-guru" 😂 talks of various social norms that made most people live in their "cocon-shelf" instead of being the "butterfly" one is meant to be. And my oh my, Sarah goes against all norms of normal book writing. The foul words that were thrown out of the blues 😂

Reason for a o
Cait
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book is about being yourself while being polite and not judging other people, but yet it contains several unnecessary (and rather rude) comments about people who hold opinions different than the author’s.
Deah
May 02, 2018 added it
An easy read that didn't take me long to skim through, because honestly, I am awesome at being me and have it nailed pretty well.
Ada-Marie
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable, funny, and had some good nuggets of advice.
Leslie
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You do you.

When I first started as a published author (instead of a closet writer), I needed a lot of handholding. With my first bad review, I’d tearfully text one of my close friends that “THEY DON’T LIKE IT! SO THEY DON’T LIKE MEEEEEEEEE.” When someone said something mean to me, I’d take it personally, as if I needed to change.

All of that has slowly changed. I’ve learned that bad reviews are boons because they keep away peeps who think the same, and they often amusingly reflect the critic’s ow
Jessica DMJ
Jan 06, 2020 rated it did not like it
I'm using the one-star rating based on the "did not like it" description provided by Goodreads.
I received this book as a gift from someone dear to me, which made me wary of writing my honest opinions on it—that after about 20-30 pages, Sarah Knight's "fuck societal convention! I need a half valium and margarita" humour got really, really old and tired. I feel like Sarah Knight wasn't sure if she wanted to write a self-help book or her memoirs. There's not very much practical advice within these
Asimina Kara Georgiou
Feb 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
The book gave me the impression that SHE is describing HER way, as the ultimate way of living. The title is YOU do You, but except the first chapter , she keeps recycling : " if you are anything like me.....blah blah...There is nothing wrong with being (me) ...blah blah '' . Cheap philosophy, waste of money!
BonLivre
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-my-reading
Once again, I found Sarah Knight’s humor and to-the-point attitude full of great take-always. “Experience the benefits of brazen self-care, you won’t actually be that embarrassed. You’ll be too busy feeling relieved. And empowered. And maybe even happy.”
Castle Spooktacular
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
FANTASTIC!. Constantly on a quest to being the most authentic and best version of myself. The author really gets it and is SUPER FUNNY!
Ms_prue
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this pep talk a lot and I think I should read the other two books too.
Christina
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of Sarah Knight's books. Well, I'm actually just a big fan of Sarah Knight. I love her TED talk, her tweets, her writing style, her sense of humor, and her newsletters. So when I saw that she had a new book coming out, I could not WAIT to read it! And when Netgalley sent me a copy to review, I practically jumped out of my skin, I was so excited. HUGE GIGANTIC thank-you's to Netgalley and Little, Brown and Company for sending me a copy...and making this fan girl's day.

I'll try to mo
Goodreads Librari...: Please edit ISBN 2 19 Jun 11, 2019 04:04AM

• You Are a Badass Every Day: How to Keep Your Motivation Strong, Your Vibe High, and Your Quest for Transformation Unstoppable
  • Stop Doing That Sh*t: End Self-Sabotage and Demand Your Life Back
  • How to Stop Feeling Like Sh*t: 14 Habits that Are Holding You Back from Happiness
  • Joy at Work: Organizing Your Professional Life
  • You Are a Badass at Making Money: Master the Mindset of Wealth
  • 52 Ways to Live a Kick-Ass Life: BS-Free Wisdom to Ignite Your Inner Badass and Live the Life You Deserve
  • Girl, Stop Apologizing: A Shame-Free Plan for Embracing and Achieving Your Goals
  • Everything Is Figureoutable
  • Any Ideas?: Tips and Techniques to Help You Think Creatively
  • Everything is F*cked: A Book About Hope
  • Straight Up: Honest, Unfiltered, As-Real-As-I-Can-Put-It Advice for Life’s Biggest Challenges
  • Outer Order, Inner Calm: Declutter & Organize to Make More Room for Happiness
  • Unfu*k Yourself: Get Out of Your Head and Into Your Life
  • The Year of Less: How I Stopped Shopping, Gave Away My Belongings, and Discovered Life Is Worth More Than Anything You Can Buy in a Store
  • You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life
  • Unapologetically Ambitious: Take Risks, Break Barriers, and Create Success on Your Own Terms