Start by marking “Remedial Rocket Science (Chemistry Lessons, #1)” as Want to Read:
Remedial Rocket Science (Chemistry Lessons, #1)

Remedial Rocket Science

(Chemistry Lessons #1)

Rocket science is no problem. Falling in love, on the other hand…

College student Melody Gage is craving a night of no-strings fun when she meets charming out-of-towner Jeremy, and that’s exactly what she gets. Until three years later, when Melody relocates to Los Angeles and finds herself thrust back into Jeremy’s orbit.

Not only does her hunky one-night stand work at the
Published August 21st 2017 by Haver Street Press (first published June 21st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Remedial Rocket Science, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remedial Rocket Science

Start your review of Remedial Rocket Science (Chemistry Lessons, #1)
Emer (A Little Haze)
Practically perfect NA-style rom-com. Yes it's trope heavy. Yes it's clichéd but it was everything I wanted from a cute, easy-breezy read. It never took itself too seriously, there was no girl hatred, great wit, laugh out loud moments, likeable characters... Loved it. Cheered me up immensely
mith
I really wanted to like this book. The synopsis sounded adorable, the cover is just beautiful, and I'm always in the mood for a quick rom-com.

Unfortunately, several things about this book bothered me.

One: the main character, Melody. While I did like her--she was a sensible main character who made smart decisions and focused on her career--I also thought she was super judgy about certain things. While she didn't say any of these thoughts aloud, reading them made me iffy and overall, just really
Meags
4 Stars

I basically dropped everything to devour this story after I read that amusing synopsis – and devour it I did.

The romantic pairing of the rich playboy with the geeky girl has always been one I enjoy exploring in my romance reads and I believe this is a very successful venture where this combination of character archetypes is concerned.

I have to give Nix props for writing what I found to be a really likable female heroine in Melody. She was a bit geeky and a little quirky, but wholly
alexis
Huge thanks to the author for providing me with an ARC in exchange for a fair review

You know those books that leave you feeling confused about what to feel & kind of lost in a way. Well,Remedial Rocket Scienceis one of those books.

Remedial Rocket Scienceis a New Adult Romance. That being said, it does not read like one. I mean that in both a good and a bad way. The good being thatNix stays away from the toxic tropes New Adult is known for like the heroine hating the hero's
Jacob Proffitt
Jul 15, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
I'm going to dnf this at about 60%. I've been waiting for some depth to happen and am finding myself disappointed over and over again. It actually starts off pretty strong. I liked their initial meeting and getting to know each other and it was interesting that there was zero steam in the one-night stand that kicks off their "relationship".

But then it skips three years and everyone got shallow. And it starts by finding out that Jeremy had had a girlfriend all those years ago when he slept with
Cyndi
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m a sucker for a rom-com. Especially with the geeky girl trope. Our heroine meets up with our hero while he is running wild on vacation. She wants a one night stand and that is exactly what she gets.
Years later she finds herself back in his orbit. Now he is a respectable fellow who wants to be faithful to his fiancee. So he slips our heroine into the friend category. To atone for his past he decides to introduce her to his fiancee and friends so she won’t be alone in a new city. He might have
Quirky Omega
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
*I wrote a whole review and my Internet acted up just when it was uploading, and I lost a 300 word review. Let's please observe a moment of silence for the death of my patience.*

Anyhow, Remedial Rocket science is absolutely amazing. It's got a heroine who is in a STEM field. That alone got me interested. On top of it, the author hasn't made the heroine a cluster of clichés who is capable of solving any and all engineering and science issues. (I would have straightaway given a 1 star rating in
Jessica
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2018, own-kindle
The blurb was way better than the book.
Lindsay
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
This was an enjoyable light romance read with interesting characters. A bit of a slow burn though, and unusually for modern romance novels, we fade to black in bedroom scenes.

The concept behind the series is to have romantic comedies with the female leads from the STEM professions. I think that's terrific, although I had to bit my tongue a lot during this one. (A west coast engineering company is not going to offer a relocation package to a graduate, let alone then have an MIT graduate do things
Heather❀Book and a Blanket❀
3.5 Stars

ARC provided in exchange for an honest review

This was a light, fun ROM-COM. Easy to read with great banter and great characters.

Melody is a bit of a nerd attending MIT who came from a very humble background and is quite different from Jeremy who is heir to a company worth billions and dropped out of 2 colleges. They meet completely by chance and end up having a one night stand. Then they don't see each other for another 3 years. They then reunite as "just friends" at this time.

The story
Liz
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Sadly this didn't live up to expectation, I was expecting a jock and nerd type story. The story was slow, overly descriptive and lacked any sort of chemistry. Not my cup of tea - sorry.
✶Rachelle✶
3 stars

This was cute. Lots of fluff, not a lot of personal drama. The trope is one of my absolute favorites (rich/famous guy, "normal"/not famous girl), and it definitely delivered what I wanted. I just didn't feel super emotional or connected with the characters. Otherwise, a very entertaining read.
Stephen
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Billed as the first of series of rom-com's with nerdy heroines from the STEM fields. Clever title, but has nothing to do with the book. No rockets. None of the characters are scientists (the lead works in IT, the love interest in management). In fact, no science at all in the story.

Melody is cute and nerdy. Jeremy worldly and rather superficial. Didn't fully buy their attraction. Felt one-sided; more physical attraction Melody to Jeremy the bad boy vs reciprocal or a match of equals.

Nix is a
Ashley
Sep 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction, 3-star
Cute, but not life-changing.

That's it, that's the review.
Jeanny
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s a sweet story.
I especially enjoyed how the h & the other women in the H life interacted.

4 low drama stars
D.G.
May 27, 2019 marked it as dnf
DNFed @~49%

I don’t know why this would be a rom-com. So far there’s little comedy and little romance (besides a fade-to-black one night stand.) It’s more about the heroine starting her new life after college.

I'm DNFing because I don't care for the the judgy heroine, who loves the money she makes in her corporate job but then judges everything about the company. I sort of like that the hero was a bit lost at the beginning but I wished he was more put together when she met him later on. And with
G.
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I breezed though this one. I think Susannah Nix's writing is easy and pleasant to binge read in a sitting or two. That said, Remedial Rocket Science didn't really live up to its blurb. While it's an enjoyable read, it's just not entirely successful as a contemporary romance.
Shannon

Cute, cute, cute.
Remedial Rocket Science is sweet, funny, and for the most part lighthearted- with just a tiny bit of angst. I read this is one sitting, it's one of those books that's just so easy to fly through. I admit there did come a point where I had to stop for a second, thinking please don't let what I think is happening happen, but luckily things were cleared up and I could continue on.

Melody is a great character. She's smart, kind, and caring. Although she's a bit out of her element
Gaufre
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it
FREE as of 10/21/2018
__________________

The end is really sweet and left me with a good feeling - but the more I think about this book, the more disappointed I am.

The book has many good things going for it. It features Melody, a woman working in STEM who makes sensible decisions about her job, finances, and relationships. Even though it is a rich playboy-boss/poor girl-employee trope, Jeremy is never creepy and actually backs off when Melody asks him to. They really get to be friends first.

Now,
Kimberly Russell
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Y'all. I just found my to-go romance recommendation. It's light and fun and really falls more into the Rom Com category. I read it in almost one sitting.
Andrea
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, free-ebook
Funny, fluffy, light, and cute contemporary that was exactly the palette cleanser I needed!
I really liked that Melody and Jeremy went from one-night-stand to actual friends, spending a lot of time just platonically getting to know each other without anything else hapening until they are ready to trust each other. And given Jeremy's wastrel past, that takes some time.

One tiny thing that dampened my enjoyment a bit: the cheating. Oh sweet mercy, the cheating... (view spoiler)
Lisa
Review to come.
A (Is For Awkward)
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed, 2018-april
This was a real disappointment. This was a KU book I had been meaning to read for awhile, but never quite got into. I finally made my way past the first few chapters last night, and finished first thing this morning, and honestly.. It had some potential, but this was far less "romance in STEM" than I was hoping for.

Rich playboy hero. Heroine from a background in poverty. Fake Relationship. Crazy Mothers. Quirky heroine who is socially awkward! The second chance romance. The miscommunication "we
Amanda
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2017
Lia Alfonso
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Predictable like all rom-coms, yet it was funny, smart, insightful, and interesting.
Andree
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I was thinking of rounding up, then changed my mind, for two reasons:

1) 'Tis really frothy. Fun, flirty, and entertaining (I always enjoy fake-dating, and it's a fairly believable of a dude maturing out of being a bit of a self-absorbed idiot - the time jump helps, as does the fact that he's never actually an idiot to the heroine), but I got to the end, and it felt like it lacked... substance. It's great for a fun light read (which is all it's trying to be, to be fair), but it
Emmy
**3.5**

This was a decent slow burn book. I enjoyed myself and finished it between two connecting flights. It had a great MC who stood up for herself and didn't put up with people who didn't share her ideals. I thought she was a great character. It was just lacking any of those really memorable scenes that take a decent book to an outstanding one.
Jacqueline
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was cute, and better then I thought it would be.
KathyB
The book description for this story was intriguing, unfortunately the story didn't deliver. The slow burn romance was boring and the hero was not great. There were a lot of missed opportunities, by the end I just wanted it to be over.

This one was disappointing, I won't be continuing the series.

2.75 Stars

Triggers - (view spoiler)
Lorna
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun listen with a good narrator. I enjoyed it.

• Screwmates
  • Sweet on the Greek (Just for Him #3)
  • Heidi's Guide to Four Letter Words
  • Most Eligible Billionaire
  • Instant Attraction
  • Selkies are a Girl's Best Friend (Mystic Bayou, #3)
  • Shopping for a Billionaire's Fiancee (Shopping for a Billionaire, #6)
  • Miss Fix-It
  • Never Have I Ever (Always Satisfied #3)
  • Baking Me Crazy (Donner Bakery, #1)
  • Kissing Galileo (Dear Professor, #2)
  • Hilariously Ever After
  • Love in Due Time (Green Valley Library, #1)
  • Peace, Blood, and Understanding (Half-Moon Hollow #7)
  • Weight Expectations (Cipher Office, #1)
  • Beard with Me (Winston Brothers, #6)
  • Code of Conduct (Cipher Security, #1)
  • What Happens at Con (Fandom Hearts, #4)
Susannah Nix is a RITA Award-winning author of contemporary romance who is best known for her Chemistry Lessons series featuring heroines who work in STEM fields. She currently lives in Texas with her husband, two ornery cats, and a flatulent pit bull. ...more

Chemistry Lessons (4 books)
  • Intermediate Thermodynamics (Chemistry Lessons, #2)
  • Advanced Physical Chemistry (Chemistry Lessons, #3)
  • Applied Electromagnetism (Chemistry Lessons, #4)
“Her feelings for Jeremy were like Schrodinger’s Crush. As long as she didn’t open the box, their relationship existed in a state of quantum superposition: both possible and impossible at the same time.” 5 likes
“Wherever you go, you always take yourself with you.” 2 likes