Start by marking “Out of the Darkness (Descendants #1)” as Want to Read:
Out of the Darkness (Descendants #1)

Out of the Darkness

(Descendants #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  205 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Lt John Holdsworth, an injured veteran from Waterloo, is now steward for a large estate in Scotland. Catriona Craig is the adopted daughter of Lord Craig, whose only interests lie in growing herbs and healing people. Can two unlikely friends find healing together? Can he overcome the shadows of his past and accept her love?
Published June 12th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of the Darkness

really liked it 4.00  ·

Annette
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Short, but sweet. I really liked the story. The pacing was a little off, and I was left wondering if I had missed something several times. However the heroine and hero were both great characters.
Patti
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Out of the Darkness" is a novella, another investment in the continuing story of a family of characters created by author Elizabeth Johns. I have read them all and enjoyed each one, some more so than others. I read this quickly and am now engrossed in her newest "After the Rain".

This story follows Catriona Craig, the adopted daughter of Lord Craig. She is a young lady that has no lofty goals of society and spends her time fascinated with the garden of healing herbs and plants. Lord Craig is als
Gordon Saunders
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Probably most men who lose limbs in war or in any other circumstance do not feel they will be able to achieve their ‘happily ever after.’ We make heroic efforts, in this day of prostheses and special therapies, to enable men and women who are injured in this way to live a normal life. But 200 years ago, there was a little of this. The prosthesis was a wooden leg, or a wooden hand. But one was still maimed and one still expected much less from life.

Enter the miraculously counter-culture Lord Crai
Nicole Laverdure
Reviewed on May 30th

Beautiful introduction to the Descendants series!

Out of the Darkness, nicely written by Elizabeth Johns, is the touching and romantic story of two beautiful souls! I love stories of war veterans because they are often written with lots of emotion, and this was the case for this sweet and short novella!

It tells the story of John, a veteran from the Waterloo war and Catriona, a healer and a young woman with a gentle heart. John has come back from the war, a bruised man physica
Judy
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Out of the Darkness by Elizabeth Johns
Catriona Craig is the adopted daughter of the previous Doctor Craig, now Lord Craig and his wife. Gavin Craig had adopted her along with her sister and brother a few years ago. Catriona doesn't want the London Season, she's content on their land in Scotland where she can practice her healing skills alongside her father.

John Holdsworth had more than he ever thought possible. After surviving Waterloo, minus a few limbs, he not only was alive but didn't end up
Richelle ⭐⭐
I love a story that has a broken war hero find love when they feel they never would because of their external and internal scars. Most in high society treat them as monsters, and I always find that sad and demoralizing when they've sacrificed so much fighting against Napolean. This is a sweet story of 2 people fighting their own inner demons who are lucky enough to find genuine love. Catriona was orphaned when a carriage accident killed both her parents. She has had a fear of carriage rides ever ...more
Alaska Hults
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sweet Novella

Although it's so brief that I know my enjoyment of it hinged on the fact that I had read all of the books of the previous generation. It felt like it was wrapping up loose ends while it was telling the short story of a daughter and one of the many veterans adopted/employed by the previous generation. Again, it was well enough written, but it's not a full-length novel, nor does it stand on its own.
DeeAnn Christensen
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another good read.

Another one of Johns good books. Enjoyed the theme of humility that was portrayed as the characteristics of this family even though they are titled and wealthy. They knew what to do with the plenty they had. This is rare in most novels of this genre. Kudos.

The Doctor's Companion
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a short one. It was nice to see what happens for Catriona, who we got to know more in "Into the Fire." As the wife of a veteran, it's nice to see members of the military depicted in books like this as real people, not just brave, hunky guys. A person with layers and depth and pain and joy. A good, quick read.
Lily
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Pleasant novella length story about an injured war veteran and an innocent orphan. While there are many sweet moments in this novella, the characters were not developed enough and it was too tame for my liking.
CJ
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Solid enjoyable love story

A nice afternoon read either at the beach or by the fire in a rainy day. Nice character development. It's a clean love story that will leave you with a HEA.. Enjky!
Rachel Di
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nice book.

This was a nice addition to the rest of the series. I somehow missed this one, when I thought I was going in order. This did seem shorter than the others, but it was nice anyway. Short and sweet.
Elizabeth
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent period novel.

Excellent novel with historical accuracy. There is literary licence taken with the father's acceptance of a unmarried virgin daughter attending men and births. But the story, characters, and setting is wonderful.
Vonda Dastrup
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
A good read

This is a fairly simple story compared to others by Elizabeth Johns. I did enjoy it but not as much as previous stories.
Ashlee Clayton
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lilian80
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A short but satisfying read. I wish it was a long novel. Very likable charachters.
Timber
Oct 20, 2017
Patti Wolff
Sep 20, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Behind the Mask (Horstberg Saga #1)
  • Miss Billings Treads the Boards
  • For Castle and Crown
  • Hidden Game (Ancient Court, #1) (Hidden Saga, #7)
  • Blood Magic (Divided Realms #3)
  • Huckleberry Summer (The Matchmakers of Huckleberry Hill, #2)
  • Hope at Dawn (Of Love and War, #1)
  • Drop Zone (Saint Squad, #8)
  • Lady Likes the Lord (The Abbey Brothers) (A Regency Romance Book)
  • The Legend of Shannonderry
  • My Sister's Intended (Serendipity #1)
  • The Earl's Mistaken Bride (The Parson's Daughters, #1)
  • Dance of Steel (Steel and Fire, #3)
  • Torn (Bound Trilogy, #2)
  • Promises and Primroses (Mayfield Family #1)
  • Friends and Traitors (Slayers, #2)
  • Possession (Emily Chambers Spirit Medium #2)
  • Hope Springs (Longing for Home, #2)
Like many writers, Elizabeth Johns was first an avid reader, though she was a reluctant convert. It was Jane Austen's clever wit and unique turn of phrase that hooked Johns when she was "forced" to read Pride and Prejudice for a school assignment. She began writing when she ran out of her favorite author’s books and decided to try her hand at crafting a Regency romance novel. Her journey into pub ...more

Descendants (4 books)
  • Ray of Light: Traditional Regency Romance (Descendants, #3)
  • After the Rain (Descendants #2)
  • Moon and Stars (Descendants #4)