Start by marking “The Art of Resistance” as Want to Read:
The Art of Resistance

The Art of Resistance

99-year-old literature professor Justus Rosenberg escaped the Holocaust and spent four daring years in the French Underground during World War II. Now he finally writes his own unforgettable epic.

“A gripping memoir from an Eastern European Jew who fought in the French Resistance. … The narrative tension is continuous, as Rosenberg recalls imprisonments, escapes from
Published January 28th 2020 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Resistance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Resistance

Start your review of The Art of Resistance
Linden
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Rosenberg, a 98 year old retired university professor, has an amazing story to tell. He went from the free city of Danzig, to the Sorbonne in Paris, to working for the French Resistance, with many amazing adventures along the way. This is a memoir that reads like fiction, a page turner which offers a bonus history lesson. Highly recommended. Thanks to the publisher and to Edelweiss for the opportunity to read this advance copy.
Sarah-Hope
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, edelweissplus
The At of Resistance offers an interesting, if somewhat rambling, look into life in World War II France. The author originally traveled to France to attend the Sorbonne, but found himself working to help "decadent" (aka surrealist) artists and left-wing writers escape France to safer locations.

This title lacks the narrative power of novels set in occupied France, but that is clearly a result of its being based in fact, with a goal of recording actual happenings, rather than entertaining readers
Lauren Stoolfire
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

If you're going to read any World War II memoir this year make sure it's Justus Rosenberg's The Art of Resistance. Rosenberg is currently a 98 year old retired university professor and his life during the war was something else. In fact, he's a Jewish survivor of the war who has been cut off from his family and has found himself working with the French Resistance during the occupation. His memoir reads like fiction and it's very
Molly
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
THE ART OF RESISTANCE

This was a terrific memoir. Written by 99 year old Justus Rosenberg, he tells the story of his youth as a Jewish survivor during WWII serving in the French Resistance. Born in the Free City of Danzig, a seaport on the Baltic, Justus is a student at the Sorbonne in France when the war breaks out. Unable to join the regular army in France because of his background, he becomes involved with the French Underground.

Working his way south in Vichy France, he joins up with the
Anne
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
What an engaging, interesting and ultimately moving book. This memoir is very direct and plain, telling the story of Rosenberg's years in France during WWII.
This is another view into the many ways in which people resisted during the war and us quite fascinating. It is told in modesty without great sentiment or emotion and that makes it stand out. An excellent read. I'm glad that, at age 98, Rosenberg wrote this to better inform the world.
Dawn
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. It was a bit full of bragging, especially his way with women. Dr. Rosenberg is a bit full of himself. Not a very fluid story telling.
Jade
This memoir is incredible! Brilliantly and beautifully written, a story of a few years that lasts a lifetime. I literally could not put it down, and it followed me in my dreams... (I also did end up reading parts of it in the middle of the night when one of my kids woke me up).

Justus Rosenberg’s journey from Danzig to the US via France and Germany during and after just WW2 is quite simply amazing. He left Danzig to study in Paris (a great decision made by his parents at the time), and after the
Deborah Shaw
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written. I didn't want to put it down.
John McDonald
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
" . . . [w]e need to champion the notion that all human beings are equal and deserve to be treated as such.
"We need to be alert to the dangers and nip them in the bud. Justs Rosenberg, The Art of Resistance, page 273.

So Justus Rosenberg, the blond-haired jewish boy who became an active member of the French Resistance, later an academic, ends his wonderful memoir, giving us the lesson his lifetime as someone fearful but unafraid, extroverted but made cautious by war, compassionate and sensitive
Shirley
life in the Resistance

Justus Rosenberg tells the story of his time working in the resistance against the Nazi’s during WWII. Written in first person it is told as he lived and experienced it.

Much of the book covers the politics involved in that time period and the different groups and kinds of people that believed in those particular beliefs. Where he felt the most comfortable and with the groups of people with whom he felt the most uncomfortable.

He tells about the different countries and
Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, first-reads
The Prologue of this book is the best part of the whole book. Justice Rosenberg had slipped out of one line at a Nazi internment camp and wandered over to a very long time. He found out that it was for prisoners who wanted to see a doctor for their ailments. He thought maybe it would be an easier way to escape! He questioned a young woman who was able to tell him what kind of diseases are so serious that he would have to be admitted. He knew how to heat up a thermometer and he had acting ...more
Ebony
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic memoir by a very brave resistance fighter during World War II. Justus Rosenberg was a resistance fighter throughout France. His excellent skill set helped him to become a valuable asset to the French resistance and the allied armies during World War II. He managed to navigate through many different obstacles and acclimate to any environment he was thrown in. His wartime experience was very interesting to read about and his impact on others throughout the war shows within the memoir. ...more
Corin
Feb 14, 2020 rated it liked it
It's an interesting and important story, but it's told very clinically and I had a hard time empathizing with the author. Any feelings he had or has seem very remote - he tells us he cares, but the reader doesn't feel it. He also thinks quite highly of himself in a way that I found uncomfortable. It's almost as though he blames the victims of the Shoah for not surviving because they weren't as clever as he was, when truly it was about luck. Plenty of clever people were murdered. Rosenberg's ...more
Ron
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Justus Rosenberg recounts his amazing life experiences growing up in Danzig amidst the rise of Nazism. Once goes off to study at the Sorbonne war erupts and he scrambles to survive in Paris without his parents' support. He helps to "smuggle" French and German writers and artists to Spain before becoming involved in sabotaging German troop movement in France. After DDay the US tank division stumbled upon Justis and then "hired" him to be an interpreter, especially after learning he knew German, ...more
Ray
Very interesting to read a book from the perspective of a young Jewish man who not only figured out a way out of the concentration camps, but also joined the resistance movement and ended up being an American citizen because of the amount of intelligence he was able to provide to the Allies in overcoming the German threat in France. As a multi-lingual he was a valuable intepreter in helping displaced people re-connect with their family.
Lisa
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing memoir about the incredible story of Justus Rosenberg, who against all odds made it through WWII as a Jew, part of Varian Fry’s Emergency Rescue Committee, a student at the Sorbonne, a short attachment to a US Tank division, not to mention speaking several languages fluently and being a self taught cartographer. This amazing man kept his wits about him against incredible odds. I can’t recommend this book enough. Thank you, Net Galley for the opportunity to preview this ARC.
Jean
Jan 13, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This book is highly recommended to anyone with an interest in World War II and the French Resistance.
Justus Rosenberg at age 99 tells the story in great detail of four years as a jew in dangerous times. I
found myself reading this book every spare minute I had until the end. The Art Of Resistance is written
very well.

Thank you so much, Justus Rosenberg, the Publisher, and Netgalley for giving me the opportunity
to read and review this wonderful book!
Michael
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military, history
A powerful story of a Polish Jew who was sent to Paris to finish his education during the start of unrest in Poland. After war breaks out in France, he loses contact with his family in Poland. He winds up working with the French Resistance and the US Army. An amazing tale of danger, courage and good fortune. Gives a great personal point of view of the French Resistance. Well written and very enjoyable and entertaining.
Nissa
This was such an incredible story! The book sucks you right in, every chapter having its own twist that makes you want to keep reading. I enjoyed this story and the determination and strength this young man had to survive throughout the war was in itself a great feat. He was able to make great things of his long life. What an accomplishment. A true hero.
Linda Baker
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read a lot about World War 2, especially the European theatre. This is a very good memoir of Justus Rosenberg's life and activities during this time period. I would have liked more information about his life after the war.
This book was on my to read list and I won it through a Goodreads give away. Now I can keep it on my bookshelf and read it again.
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story flowed effortlessly, like words on ice. What a remarkable life and how fascinating his personal experiences were in the war! Thanks to a "confluence of circumstances" he has lived a very full, well-spent life and gifted us with this novel.

Thank you to Goodreads for a copy for my review.
Steve
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book about the life of a French Resistance fighter and the dangers he faced in occupied France against the Germans during World War II.
Alexandra
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
sent to me for review
Cathee Evans
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Excellent book about a young student who was part of the French Underground.
Roberta
Feb 01, 2020
David
Feb 10, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• 999: The Extraordinary Young Women of the First Official Jewish Transport to Auschwitz
  • Fight of the Century: Writers Reflect on 100 Years of Landmark ACLU Cases
  • My War Criminal: Personal Encounters with an Architect of Genocide
  • Why We Can't Sleep: Women's New Midlife Crisis
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • Long Bright River
  • Imperfect Union: How Jessie and John Frémont Mapped the West, Invented Celebrity, and Helped Cause the Civil War
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • Uncanny Valley
  • Above the Bay of Angels
  • Race of Aces: WWII's Elite Airmen and the Epic Battle to Become the Masters of the Sky
  • The Better Liar
  • Mengele: Unmasking the "Angel of Death"
  • The Traitor