Start by marking “Path of Destruction (Star Wars: Darth Bane, #1)” as Want to Read:
Path of Destruction (Star Wars: Darth Bane, #1)

Path of Destruction

(Star Wars: Darth Bane #1)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  21,051 ratings  ·  1,114 reviews
Once the Sith order teemed with followers. But their rivalries divided them in endless battles for supremacy. Until one Dark Lord at last united the Sith in the quest to enslave the galaxy—and exterminate the Jedi. Yet it would fall to another, far more powerful than the entire Brotherhood of Darkness, to ultimately realize the full potential of the Sith and wield the awes ...more
Published June 6th 2007 by Del Rey Books (first published September 26th 2006)

·  21,051 ratings  ·  1,114 reviews

Start your review of Path of Destruction (Star Wars: Darth Bane, #1)
Markus
Dec 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
"Equality is a myth to protect the weak. Some of us are strong in the Force, others are not. Only a fool believes otherwise."

Once upon a time, in the days of Ajunta Pall and Marka Ragnos, of Revan and Vitiate, the Sith were always united under one great leader. A brutal hierarchy of Force-users, masters of the dark side, with the most powerful of them claiming the glorious mantle of the Dark Lord of the Sith. But those days are gone. In the wake of their passing stands Skere Kaan and the Brother
Nicholas Karpuk
Jun 10, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: DORKS! You know who you are!
Star Wars is funny. Not on purpose, mind you.

This book features a protagonist whose chosen name is so stupid I refuse to actually use it. For the purposes of this review, he shall be Darth Tickle.

Darth Tickle lives a couple thousand years before Luke ever whines about power converters, born to an abusive father on an unpleasant mining planet. After committing a murder in self-defense, Tickle flees the planet, joining the Brotherhood of Darkness (snicker), and eventually gets recruited by the Si
T. T.
Jul 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Star Wars fans who are into philosophy
It is easy, especially by some intellectuals, to ignore the beauty or depth of something simple while being carried away by the sheer magic of complex sentences and obscure statements. However as an unmistakable fan of Hegel, Lacan and Zizek i can't help but think the real magic is in telling or expressing something complex in a relatively simpler way.

Think about this quote from Hegel:

"It is manifest that behind the so-called curtain which is supposed to
conceal the inner world, there is nothing
Khurram
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is the journey of Des who becomes Bane then Darth Bane. The story is well written and griping the last few chapters are from the Star Wars: Jedi vs. Sith. I enjoyed this book, it is a constant reminder of how evil and self-serving the Sith really are, no matter how much power they promise. Des joins the Sith out of necessity, there he finds the current Sith Lords watered down versions of the Sith Lords of old. So much so that they do not even use the title of Darth any more. Bane rejec ...more
Stephen
3.0 to 3.5 stars. A good addition to the Star Wars mythos. Darth Bane is a fairly well drawn character and the story is fast paced and fun. Will certainly read the sequel to see whether the author goes with the story.
Angel
Dec 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science_fiction
I may have mentioned before that I don't read a lot of Star Wars novels. I consider myself a casual fan. Like many fiction series, the SW books are very "hit or miss." I have enjoyed some, but I have also found others were not very good. This is one I highly recommend. I think the more "hardcore" fans will definitely appreciate it. I also think more casual readers like me will like it. The book gives the origins of the Sith, explaining why it is that we only see two Sith, a master and an apprent ...more
Crystal Starr Light
Jul 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
"One to embody the power and one to crave it"
A thousand years before The Phantom Menace, Anakin Skywalker, Palpatine, and the Clone Wars, the Sith and the Jedi were large forces and at war with each other. On a God-forsaken world, Apatros, better known for being a source of cortosis, a mineral used in deflecting lightsabers, Dessel mined the tunnels as his abusive father before him. His life is pretty dreary until he plays cards with some Republic soldiers and wins. The soldiers seek to show him
Malum
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
This was a lot better than I expected. There was a lot of great lightsaber/force action, we get a good look at Old Republic-era Sith and Sith training, and Bane wasn't a Mary Sue like I had expected him to be. He gets his ass handed to him almost as much as he wins.

We also get an interesting take on the Sith. Their codes and philosophies aren't a universal truth, and different Sith believe different things. Best of all, Karpyshyn didn't take the easy way out and make them all cackling villains.
Melissa | melisthereader
Jan 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
The writing was good, and I was pretty much hooked throughout the whole story. The problem I had with this story is all the talk of power and destruction.....I know it may be wrong of me to point this out but it felt very targeted for boys....I also had a problem with Dessel's looks, oh man, I sound so shallow.....I guess this just wasn't for me. But the writing is awesome and learning about the sith was cool too.
Olivia
Aug 16, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
Being a bit masochistic, I have read many a crap Star Wars book in my day. Jedi Trial, The Ruins of Dantooine, Labyrinth of Evil, Dark Lord, The Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy and Children of the Jedi all spring to mind, among others. Suffice to say, Darth Bane: Path of Destruction joins the ranks of its less-than-illustrious predecessors. This book is pure crap. Seriously, how does this kind of shit even make it to press? Has Del Rey even heard of quality control? The writing is shoddy, the charact ...more
TheBookHunter
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Only the strong will survive

Darth Bane: Path of Destruction, written by Drew Karpyshyn is a finer Star Wars book. It is the story of a man named Dessel that escapes a life of hardship on a mining colony to join the Sith Empire against their never-ending battle against the Republic and the Jedi Order, roughly a thousand years before the events of The Phantom Menace.

Des is recognized for his exceptional skills in the military and latent abilities in the Force and is taken to the Sith Academy on
Leeloodallas
Feb 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
The long and the short: The Sith finally get smart and use some of the better Jedi ideas to actually score some real victories against their enemies. Then some retro-idiot gets obsessed with scrolls and destroys the one hope the Dark Side had for victory over the light side by manipulating a power-hungry Sith into using a WMD (weapon of mind-destruction). In the process, he reduces the Sith to less than nothing: one shadowed, "cunning," figure who trains a second to lust for his power.

No matter
Lance Shadow
Hello there! Recently I have read this beloved novel once again, and I am revisiting this entry in my library of reviews because my thoughts have changed. So consider this an updated review.
I first read this book in the summer of 2016- and found it massively disappointing. I heard the same tunes for years about the Darth Bane Trilogy, especially Path of Destruction, being this immaculate masterwork, and a pinnacle of the original Star Wars Expanded Universe. So when I finally got down to read th
Jody Ellis
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
As always a Star Wars text does not disappoint. It was only the ending that seemed flat but overall a well rounded book. The battles are clear and the whole book devoid of fillers.

I do look forward to the second but I think a small break from Star Wars is needed before I start the second!
Anthony
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was very good! It’s an era of Star Wars I’m not familiar with. I haven’t read many of the Legends books (I only started reading Star Wars novels around when Disney took over so stuck to mainly canon stuff) but I loved reading a book prominently from the point of view of the Sith! It’s something that’s not been explored much in the movies and the recent canon stuff.
Ryan
Feb 19, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
More like "Darth 'Meh'." I'm a huge Star Wars fan, I am. But I really just couldn't bring myself to care at all about anything going on in this book. It didn't help that there was little in the way of character development and not much of a story here to begin with. Add in the author's background as a video game writer and you get a big pile o' mediocre.
Vaishali
May 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: american-fiction
Won't enrapture you like Darth Plagueis, who as a protagonist is horrifyingly slick. Darth Bane starts as a handsome, burly, and patient Sith lord... but lives too much in his own head. The result is a slow plot and characters we don't care about. An excellent ending, however.

Cool quotes:
--------------
“Agree with someone, and they’ll be your friend for the rest of the night. Cross them, and they might hate you for weeks.”

“Dez had learned long ago not to escalate a fight unless he was willing to
Aaron
Jan 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book seemed like a good choice for something to read on a plane. On my previous trip I was confronted with a new peril of trying to read something challenging in a confined space: sitting next to a conversation about which Twilight was hotter. I'm used to reading in loud areas, but I have limits where my brain will shut down. And a working brain really is no requirement for a Star Wars book. While I had never read a Star Wars book before, I was actually familiar with the author's work as he ...more
Syd (deertales)
i finally finished!

i listened to this book as a favor to my brother (you're welcomeeeee) and i still am not sure why i ever caved in.
i love star wars, dont get me wrong, but i do not like the dark side. and this whole book is like dark side fan fiction. a big dark side circle jerk for the people that lovveeeee darth buttheads.

and the worst part?!??!
i got semi invested in this stupid darth guy! like what is happening to me.

is it the best book ive ever read? oh lord no. but it definitely wasn't
Joshua Greer
Lore, lore and a bit more lore! Quite a fun book. Obviously a dark lord is going to have some interesting tales, and this book delivers. The audiobook is nicely done and helps the flow move along. It was nice to get some of the (unofficial) history of this character who shaped much of what the Sith became after him.
Andre Lazar
Jan 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book is a great example of the Star Wars extended universe. By this I mean that it reads more like a poor fantasy novel with a Star Wars coat of paint (really? the Brotherhood of Darkness vs the Army of Light?). The main character is an edge lord whose brilliant realizations are boiled down to: the ancient Sith had it right with the "rule of two", and the current Sith are basically the Jedi but slightly edgier. The book is full of dumb tropes like the seductive ex-Jedi who attempts to manip ...more
Audrey Dagenais
This book was excellent. It contained all the evilness that I can hope for in a book (and that I rarely get). I also love when the characters don't have it easy. I will surely read the others in the series.
Dan
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
I typically try to avoid books spun off movies or shows. They typically feel cheap or like a cash grab.

This was good.
Donna
May 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
Even though this is the first book in the Darth Bane trilogy, it is actually the last one I listened to. I didn't really care for this one, even though I kind of liked Dez and that he had some kind of vision to carry to the end. That idea was developed and provided a solid understanding of who he was and why he was good at what he did.

The problem was this: there were many other characters that weren't defined. They were like cardboard cutouts that the MC had to dodge and dance around. The secon
Chad Josimar
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!!!! Just wow!! The more books I read from the old EU the more I see why people loved it so much. I want to say I am a fan of Bane but hot damn he scares the poop out of me! Amazing book!
Kingtchalla83
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book review

Set 1,032 years before "A New Hope" there is no Luke, Leia, Yoda or Clone Wars. The events that transpire in "Dath Bane: Path of Destruction" will reverberate throughout the galaxy for years to come. There is a reason the Sith operate in the shadows. Bane is that reason! 📖
📖
Yes, these books are not considered canon and have been relegated to "legend" status, but guess what I don't care!
📖
Dessel, Darth Bane, is a miner on Apatros, a backwater Outer Rim Colony, with no discernible futu
Reece
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Holy shit what an amazing book
Melissa
Marcus Daley
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've read this book many, many times and I still enjoy it. It gives the perfect Star Wars feeling, and introduces a character that you honestly want to win. What I love about Bane is that one of his defining characteristics isn't his prodigious physical strength, but his sharp mind. He understands, and then uses betrayal in a manner that is very satisfying.
Basically, this is one of the best Star Wars books written, and I would recommend it to anyone.
Iset
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
After hearing Darth Bane mentioned several times as one of the seminal members of the Sith Order, it was interesting to finally read his story. Bane isn’t an instantly likable character, and of course he gets more and more evil throughout, but somehow he grows on you, perhaps because the reader is looking over his shoulder through it all. But it’s easy to see where Bane goes wrong, even from the beginning of the book. There’s something slightly off about Dessel’s attitude, even making allowances ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Book without ISBN 13 3 189 May 05, 2017 09:18AM
Which character is your favorite? Your least favorite? 12 52 Jan 07, 2016 12:52PM
Star Wars: Darth Bane 4 24 Mar 22, 2015 04:17PM

• Darth Plagueis
  • Fatal Alliance (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #3)
  • Deceived (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #2)
  • Knight Errant
  • Red Harvest (Star Wars)
  • Maul: Lockdown
  • Into the Void (Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi)
  • The Last Command (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #3)
  • Dark Force Rising (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #2)
  • Heir to the Empire (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #1)
  • Shadow Hunter
  • Cloak of Deception (Star Wars)
  • Lost Tribe of the Sith: The Collected Stories (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith)
  • The Rise of Darth Vader (Star Wars: The Dark Lord Trilogy, #3)
  • Outbound Flight (Star Wars)
  • Revenge of the Sith (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3)
  • Labyrinth of Evil
  • Specter of the Past (Star Wars: The Hand of Thrawn Duology, #1)
Drew Karpyshyn is a Canadian author and game designer. After working at a credit union for some time, he eventually became a game developer. He joined BioWare towards the end of the Baldur's Gate series, and wrote the tie-in novel for Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal. He stayed with BioWare, where he worked on Neverwinter Nights, and became the Senior Writer on the critically acclaimed Star Wars: ...more

Star Wars: Darth Bane (3 books)
  • Rule of Two (Star Wars: Darth Bane, #2)
  • Dynasty of Evil (Star Wars: Darth Bane, #3)