Start by marking “Wild Blue Wonder” as Want to Read:
Wild Blue Wonder

Wild Blue Wonder

There are two monsters in this story. One of them is me.

Ask anyone in Winship, Maine, and they’ll tell you the summer camp Quinn’s family owns is a magical place. Paper wishes hang from the ceiling. Blueberries grow in the dead of winter. According to local legend, a sea monster even lurks off the coast. Mostly, there’s just a feeling that something extraordinary could hap
Published June 26th 2018 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Wild Blue Wonder, please sign up.
Rachel Simple answer....? The main character’s (Quinn Sawyer) older brother (Reed) admits to her that he was in love with their best friend, Dylan. He also h…moreSimple answer....? The main character’s (Quinn Sawyer) older brother (Reed) admits to her that he was in love with their best friend, Dylan. He also has a boyfriend named Charlie. And the book isn’t just about Quinn’s struggle to accept something, it’s about the whole family’s ability to overcome a terrible situation where they all lost an important person to them. So the book being classified as LGBT just goes to show you how intricately woven together the characters’ stories all are. (less)
Lily I would recommend this book to Middle school-aged kids and up. It deals with the aftermath of a death, which might be confusing for younger kids. Howe…moreI would recommend this book to Middle school-aged kids and up. It deals with the aftermath of a death, which might be confusing for younger kids. However, it's really a great book for anyone to read.(less)

Start your review of Wild Blue Wonder
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was soooooooooo good. I loved the writing and the characters and the setting SO MUCH. I just finished it but I already want to re-read it???
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a heartbreaking and beautiful book. I read this book in less than 24 hours and pretty much weeper the entire time, but it was exactly what I needed. Definitely my favourite book I’ve read so far this year, and one of my new favourite books of all time. Already looking forward to rereading it. If you like hard hitting contemporaries, please do yourself a favour and pick this one up when it releases this summer.
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
This book is exactly why I love YA so much... 5 stars!
Carlie Sorosiak
Dec 07, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Maybe I'm biased, but I quite liked it. Things in this book:

* A love quadrilateral 💙
* Girls in STEM and sports 🔬🏅
* A possible sea monster 🐉
* A girl building a boat with her Nana 💪
* A summer camp in the winter ❄️
* Strong female friendship 👭
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
“Scary things and amazing things coexist. The world is full of wildness and wonder. And a lot of it is good.”
Wild Blue Wonder is a captivating story about family, forgiveness, and the pain of grief. Quinn is learning to live after the tragic loss of her best friend Dylan the summer before. Quinn blames herself for Dylan’s death and she’s begun to drift from her siblings, who are feeling the loss in their own way. But Quinn is determined to fix something and starts repairing
Julia Sapphire
I was sent an ARC of this book by HCC Frenzy in exchange for an honest review

DNF

I unfortunately I did not enjoy this book very much. I have been trying to read it for almost the entire month of May but have felt such a huge disconnect. The writing was just okay and some lines in the book I just thought were kind of odd.
such as,
"Her voice has something in common with razor blades"
"They're like grief boobs or something"

There were some things I did appreciate about this book such as, t
Renee Godding
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magical-realism
4 stars

"In all camp stories, there are monsters.
In this one, there are two.
The seamonster.
And me.

Wild Blue Wonder was in my top 3 most anticipated YA-books to be released in 2018, and it didn’t disappoint.
If the entire book had been as good as the second half, it would have been a five star for sure. The first half however, left some to be desired for me. The break in enjoyment level was quite noticeable, and even visible in my readingspeed going through this book.
The first few chapters (
Lauren James
The main character is obsessed with marine biology, I'm already hooked. I just finished this beauty, WILD BLUE WONDER. I came for the STEM lady (the main character loves marine biology!) and stayed for the cryptids, Moira Fowley Doyle style family dynamics and summer love. 💯💯💯
Madison
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Stunning and heart wrenching, Wild Blue Wonder is a beautifully written book. Right from the first chapter it is clear that Wild Blue Wonder is magical. Whether it springs from the legends that surround Quinn’s family campground complete with ancient forests and a lake monster or perhaps from the captivating writing style, everything about Wild Blue Wonder seems to glow.

Quinn Sawyer has always known her family’s campground, The Hundreds, was special. But recent events have shown her that even th
Lauren
Aug 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Normally I would have given a book like this 4 stars but I'm thinking it deserves a 3.5.

I was really looking forward to reading Wild Blue Wonder having read some very positive reviews about it and summer is my season for reading contemporaries but...I was a bit disappointed by this one. I think the main reason was the pace and plot of the story - I found the beginning section very engaging but then it petered out and became...a bit boring, if I'm being completely honest. I understand
Cale Dietrich
Jan 17, 2018 marked it as to-read
AHHH I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS!!!!
Ashley Blake
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely one of my favorite YAs ever.
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
Wild Blue Wonder has such beautiful writing and it broke my heart at times.

The chapters alternate in time by a few months.  The past (summer) is Quinn talking to her best friend, Dylan.  She is sharing stories and how she fell in love with him.  We also find out that both her older brother and younger sister are also in love with Dylan.  He was such an important person in their lives.

The current chapters are Quinn dealing with her grief and guilt over Dylan's death.  She and her family own a hip
Cassie
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“but as you know, in all camp stories, there are monsters.
in this one, there are two.
the sea monster.
and me.”

this book is devastatingly beautiful. it’s a novel that will haunt you, in the best and worst of ways. it’s a story worth taking the time to get to know. it will stay with you for many moons. it will make you laugh. it will make you cry. it will make you feel all the things. but after all of it, it will be worth your time.

quinn harbors so much guilt over what happened with her best
Meredith Mara
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Hundreds — the summer camp run by Quinn’s family — is a magical place. Spread out across a ten-acre plot in Winship, Maine, The Hundreds is a place where blueberries grow in the deep of winter and a legendary sea monster roams just off the coast. A place where older brother, Reed, middle sibling, Quinn, and little sister, Fern, grow up as tight-knit as they come, sharing everything, including their best friend, Dylan.

Until one terrible event at the end of the summer changes it all.

Now, an oc
Samantha (WLABB)
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, arcs, contemporary, 2018
Rating: 4.5 Stars

I went gaga for Sorosiak's debut, If Birds Fly Back. Because of all the love I had for her previous book, I had really high expectations for Wild Blue Wonder. Once again, Sorosiak produced a story, which left me drowning in my emotions.

Immediately, I knew something broke this family. Their pain and grief soaked the pages. Sorosiak didn't immediately reveal the entire story, but I knew all this suffering and the accompanying discord, stemmed from an accident involving Dylan. Dyla
Jane (It'sJaneLindsey)
4.5 stars. I think this book destroyed me, and I absolutely loved it.
Mia
oh boy. i need a hug.
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
*4.5 stars*

This review originally appeared on Novel Ink.

Content warnings: grief, death, drowning

I am having such good luck with these fabulist YA contemporaries coming out this summer. Wild Blue Wonder was a sweet, unexpected gem of a novel, complete with a summer camp setting, alternating timelines, lush writing, and touches of magic.

Wild Blue Wonder alternates
Jessica
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really lovely coming of age novel. A powerful portrayl of grief. I particularly enjoyed the questions raised about the impossible. Do we as humans imagine things or create magic as a way of coping with certain aspects of our life? How much possibility is there in the unknown?

Fantastic writing, heartbreaking at times, and always poignant.
Thamy
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quinn believes there are two monsters where she lives, the mythical creature she once saw in the water and herself. Since her best friend's death months before, her family hasn't been the same.

This is a great story about moving on, dealing with guilt and other people's grief besides your own.

I really liked this author's choice of words, my heart broke for Quinn when she says she is one of the monsters. Also, this book has too timelines, one at the time of the accident and another for the present
alice (arctic books)
Review to come!
Margaret Robbins
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was a delight to read! I’ll soon write more detailed reviews for SLJ and my blog, but here’s what resonated with me:
1. A gorgeous setting
2. Falling for your best friend (we’ve all been there at least once)
3. Unrequited Love (again, we can all relate)
4. Summer camp memories: some of the best of my life, including writing camps and GHP in high school
5. Coping with loss and grief
6. Complicated family relationships
7. A male interest who writes superhero graphic novels 💕(Hello, where
Katie Thomas
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I really enjoyed this book. It kept me up reading into the early hours of the morning. It kept me craving for more.
Megan
3.5 stars.

It was good, but it also felt quite slow and lengthy in places, which didn't always work for me.
Hanne T
I'm a SUCKER for books I see on the internet: I saw this one in one of Nadine Brandes's book unboxings on Instagram, and then snatched it up at the library when I saw it.

And then I read it! Except I checked it out 9 weeks ago and read it 3 hours before it was due. Yeah.

Things liked-
-OOF I cried through the last like 40 pages
-I loved the storyyyyyyy
-Similar story to (view spoiler), so thus the crying
-IT WAS SO CUTE
-I connected SO HARD to the summer in the
Diego
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book was really good at first but the middle it was little boring but the end it was so good I cannot put it down.
Vicky Skinner
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful wonderful novel that I never knew I needed, with a sibling dynamic that is beautiful and heartbreaking and emotional. I can't wait to hype this book when it comes out!!!
Celia McMahon
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Edelweiss for the ARC.

What I love most about books is that you can dive right into one without knowing anything about it. There are no movie trailers, FB articles that pop up before you can unsee them etc. I can open it right up and start an unexpected adventure.

That is exactly what I did with this book, but even if I did know the premise, I would have been blown away regardless. This book is told in first person and jumps from the past to the present and so forth so you get tidbits
☾❥
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-stars-5
Bibliophile Euphoria
SPOILERS AHEAD! WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD!
Wild Blue Wonder has taken my heart hostage and refuses to let go. It is awe-mazing and cruel how Sorosiak was able to make me fall in love with a character that was already dead. I did not cry but instead, I felt at lost of tears. The characters are the main appealing effect of the story. It is near impossible to go through the book without completely and utterly loving all the characters and wanting to protect them all.
It saddens me a

• The Black Kids
  • Serious Moonlight
  • Always Never Yours
  • Every Other Weekend
Carlie Sorosiak is the bestselling author of I, COSMO, as well as two novels for young adults, IF BIRDS FLY BACK and WILD BLUE WONDER. You can find her on Twitter and Instagram at @carliesorosiak.