Start by marking “As She Ascends (Fallen Isles, #2)” as Want to Read:
As She Ascends (Fallen Isles, #2)

As She Ascends

(Fallen Isles #2)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  286 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
MIRA, THE HOPEBEARER
Mira Minkoba is on the run with her friends after a fiery escape from the Pit, where she’d been imprisoned for defending the dragons she loves. And she wants answers. Where have all the dragons been taken? Why are powerful noorestones being shipped to the mainland? And did the treaty she’s been defending her whole life truly sell out the Fallen Isles to
Published September 11th 2018 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about As She Ascends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about As She Ascends

The Cruel Prince by Holly BlackWar Storm by Victoria AveyardA Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa TahirQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareObsidio by Amie Kaufman
YA Novels of 2018
1,034 books — 4,941 voters
Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. MaasWar Storm by Victoria AveyardA Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa TahirRestore Me by Tahereh Mafi
2018 - Sequels
183 books — 294 voters

More lists with this book...

Jodi Meadows
Feb 14, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
There is a cover. :)

5-9-18: Done with pass pages! Soon it will be a finished book!

8-1-18: Pre-order info for As She Ascends is up! More info here.

Cait • A Page with a View
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-arcs, ya-fantasy
I liked the first book in this series, but was even more into this one! Absolutely no second book syndrome here.

Mira grows into a much stronger character in this story as she learns to use her voice outside of the puppet role she was previously given where she thought her beauty was her main asset. She's still working to manage her powers and panic attacks (and even takes calming pills, which is pretty awesome to see in a fantasy world). She and her friends investigate the legitimacy of the Mir
Fables&Wren
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
RTC!

- - -

I didn't even see this cover reveal! Look at how BEAUTIFUL it is! I am so ready for this book OMG!
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
STOP GIVING A STAR RATING TO A BOOK WITHOUT A FREAKING TITLE LET ALONE AN ARC OR FINISHED COPY!
ALEXA
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
4.5 stars! It’s admittedly a little jarring to go from the simpler pace of Before She Ignites into As She Ascends, and it took me a while to get used to the back-to-back-to-back events happening to Mira and the crew. But otherwise, it was really great to get to see them working towards doing what they needed to in order to right the wrongs uncovered in the first book. Mira’s own growth really starts to show in this one, and as someone I already connected to in the previous book, I liked seeing h ...more
Cesar
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it

"No one gets stronger all at once. It happens in pieces, and the hurts with the deepest roots take the longest to heal."

As She Ascends is the second book in the Fallen Isles trilogy. A trilogy that is slowly beginning to get my interest in. I liked Before She Ignites and I liked As She Ascends. These two books offer us a world of politics, dragons, deceit, and strength. Inner strength, to be more specific.

The story picks up when Mira and her friends have escaped the Pit and are on the
Anna Bright
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, ya
Aaaaand Jodi has done it again. An incredible, sweeping fantasy with dragons and romance (far-off places! daring sword fights! a prince in disguise [ok, maybe not that]!)-- but also with talk of faith, empathy, listening across differences of experience, and taking seriously the consequences of our actions toward the world we live in. Mira is my home girl, Aaru is my fave, THEIR HANDHOLDING IS STILL FIRE. READ READ READ.
kelly {BookCrushin}
Jul 16, 2018 marked it as to-read
Do you want free bookish mail? Get your As She Ascends postcard right here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FA...
Vicky Who Reads
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: drcs

(I managed to make this review spoiler free for book 1, so you can still read this and learn about how amazing this series is without having to read Before She Ignites!)

OH. MY. GOSH.

Y'all are not ready for As She Ascends this Tuesday. I kid you not, this series has managed to get even better with book 2, and the entire concept of second book syndrome has been tossed out the window.

All of the problems I had with book 1 were completely fixed in As She Ascends, and it's like Meadows is a m
Christy
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just a week left. Have you gotten your preorder in?

Pre-order info is up! Check out all the cool goodies you can get! More info here.

----
So you read Before She Ignites and immediately thought - MORE DRAGONS - right? Right. Well, Jodi Meadows DELIVERED in As She Ascends. There are dragons, dragons, and even more dragons.

And, dang it, now I really want a pocket dragon!

In all seriousness, As She Ascends is a second book in the series that takes an incredible first book and turns it up 10 notches.

W
Stefanie
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mira the Dragonhearted is on the run with her friends following a fiery escape from the prison where she’d been condemned for speaking out against dragon trafficking.

And she wants answers. Has the treaty she’s been defending her whole life truly sold out the Fallen Isles to their enemies? Did her own parents lie to her? Will she lose control of her power and hurt the ones she loves?

The only way to find the truth is to go home again, to face the people who betrayed her and the parents she’s not s
Lisa
Nov 19, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2018-release
I am so freaking excited for this book!!!! BEFORE SHE IGNITES is one of my favorite books of 2017 and I wish more people would read and fall in love with it like I did <3
Lilly (Lair Of Books)
ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review

REVIEW MAY ALSO BE VIEWED ON LAIR OF BOOKS

PLOT

The sequel I’ve been anxiously awaiting is FINALLY here & it was everything I was hoping it would be! If Before She Ignites was the breaking down of Mira’s reality, then As She Ascends lives up to it’s name with Mira rising like the Dragon Queen she really is! In the previous book we meet our Protagonist as she come across the cold hard truth about the government in Fallen Isles. A world entr
Lauren
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pub-harper
Review to come.

Highlights:
Lots more dragons
Lots more travel and exploration. We get to know Mira’s island nations, while outrunning danger of course
Mira’s squad
Mira fights through her anxiety, stands up for herself and her dragons and starts to get things done
More about Mira’s magic
More about Aaru’s past
Lots of questions answered and even more questions asked
The sweetest, most gentlest romance with no love triangle
Christina
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review:

We start off immediately after the end of Before She Ignites. The gang has escaped from the Pit, Altan on their heals. Mira has discovered her new and explosive power, and the dragons are being taken away.

Can I just say that I love how Jodi handles cliffhangers? If you don't know what I mean, I urge you to read her Orphan Queen duology. But this one was entirely different. While I absolutely needed to know what would happen next, I wasn't cursing the author for leaving me hanging for a ye
Mary H
Sep 01, 2018 marked it as to-read
Pre-order info for As She Ascends is up! More info here.

Alexandra
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1018
SUCH an amazing sequel! Not suffering from SBS at all!
Anniek
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
You know how sometimes you love a first installment and then the sequel just falls flat? This was quite the opposite! Where Before She Ignites introduced a detailed world and amazing characters, the plot really took off in As She Ascends. It was such a suspenseful read, with a lovely cast of characters, and lots of dragons! It's going to be a long wait until the final book in this trilogy...
Krysti
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brimming with action, romance, and dragons, AS SHE ASCENDS is one of those rare book twos that are even better than the first book in their series!

This book is so fast paced. Meadows throws readers right into the action from the very first chapter and keeps them on the edge of their seats up until the jaw dropping conclusion.

The romance in this book sizzles, and readers will love getting to read through Aaru’s POV.

Meadow’s tackles some big issues in this series including mental health, animal cr
Alice
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 - 5 stars

Wow, I have to hand it to Jodi Meadows (and her beta- and sensitivity readers!) for crafting the wonderful cultural setting that is the Fallen Isles. As She Ascends is an impressive installment in the Fallen Isles trilogy, with a striking self-awareness with how it addresses the way these characters realize how their own cultures and governments have been influencing their lives for better or worse.

Characters - I have little to no complaints about them! Mira continues to grow in a
Take Me Away To A Great Read
Pre-order info is up! Check out all the cool goodies you can get!
More info here.

Katherine Paschal
Aug 21, 2018 marked it as to-read

Fer DiLaurentis (myownlittlebookshelf)
*4.5*

ENGLISH (español más abajo):

Utterly fantastical and a great follow-up to it’s impressive first book, As She Ascends is the second book in the Fallen Isles trilogy, a series that took me by surprise when I started it at the beginning of the year.
Jodi Meadows has a way with words, and her writing fits with the story so well. Vivid descriptions of the great-constructed fantasy world, amazing development of the main characters and a prose like no other, this book made Jodi Meadows one of my fav
Amber
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it

I'm just so proud of Mira!
Duckytwit
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: l
An equally amazing book as the first. Mira has escaped the Pit with her friends and begins to form a plan to free the dragons, the children of the gods, from those who would risk the foretold wrath of the gods. Mira grows in her unusual power over the noorestones as they search for the enemy’s dragon hold, but the enemy is not as they expected. And neither is Mira. An awesome & HOPE-FULL book! I can’t wait for the next, but final (😣) book!
Erika
Sep 04, 2018 marked it as to-read

Nina Ann
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Does not disappoint

Man, I've been waiting for this bad boy for while and it took me all of 4 continually interrupted hours to read it. And I will, probably be rereading it for the next several weeks in attempts to ease the overwhelming pounding in my chest from the culmination of action, adventure, excellent story telling and the romance that I've been waiting for. I can't wait for the third book. If you liked the first one, you'll definitely love the second. Not one for spoilers, hope that eas
Lulai
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really love the universe of this book and the dragons are so great. Who doesn't love dragons ? Mira is a great main character I like the fact that she's got anxiety and as to fight twice as hard. My only mixed feelinf is about the romance, Aaru is not the typical book boyfriend but I didn't really get attached to him.
Shelley
*Source* Library
*Genre* Young Adult / Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5-4

*Thoughts*

As She Ascends is the second installment in author Jodi Meadows' Fallen Isles trilogy. The story picks up right where Before She Ignites left off. Mira Minkoba is on the run with her friends (Aaru, Ilina, Hristo, Gerel & Chenda) after a fiery escape from the Pit, where she’d been imprisoned for defending the dragons she loves. And she wants answers. Where have all the dragons been taken?

*Full Review @ Gizmos Reviews*

http://
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Allied (Ruined #3)
  • Untitled (Gates of Thread and Stone, #3)
  • Wildcard (Warcross, #2)
  • Ice Wolves (Elementals, #1)
  • Into the Bright Unknown (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #3)
  • Courting Darkness (Courting Darkness Duology, #1)
  • Seeker (Riders, #2)
  • Sparks of Light (Into the Dim, #2)
  • Here We Are Now
  • The Fiercest Joy (The Sweetest Dark #3)
  • Untitled (Gilded Wings, #3)
  • Untitled (The Legion, #3)
  • Grey
  • Untitled (Many-Worlds, #3)
  • Untitled (Messenger of Fear, #3)
  • The Shockwave
  • Untitled (Gone With the Respiration, #3)
  • Untitled (The Witchlands, #4)
I like books. Reading them, writing, and admiring them as my bookshelves begin to bow.

Yes, I will accept your friend request. I will probably not reply to private messages, though. If you want me to respond, please send an email. jodi.meadows at gmail dot com

Why are my ratings either five stars or none? I give five stars to books I'm enthusiastic about and think everyone should read. A lack o

Fallen Isles (3 books)
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
  • When She Reigns (Fallen Isles, #3)