Start by marking “After Sundown” as Want to Read:
After Sundown

After Sundown

Sela Gordon, shy owner of a Tennessee general store, prefers solitude. If anyone can chip away at her protective shell it's the handsome, mysterious, ex-military man who's been hiding for two years in the wilds of Cove Mountain. But when he warns her that a catastrophic solar storm with the capability of taking down the power grids is approaching, Sela must come out of her ...more
Published March 31st 2020 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about After Sundown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After Sundown

Start your review of After Sundown
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
2 - 2.5 Stars

I've been reading Linda Howard for over 25 years and have read over 50 of her books. She's one of my all time favorite authors and I still re-read all of my battered mass market LH paperbacks on the regular.

***I was going to insert a picture of some of them here on my shelves, but as it turns out, I'm really effing lazy. So there's that***

Anyway, like I was saying...I love classic Howard, but have had less luck with her newer stuff (especially the stuff she co-authors with Linda Jo
Corina
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm actually reading it a second time in less than 6 month - lol - what can I say, I really enjoyed it...

___________________________________

This book was right up my alley. Even though I’m not a big fan of YA dystopian novels, I really enjoy them when they are adult fiction novels. And After Sundown was a wonderful surprise for me. Beside me devouring the novel in one-sitting, it’s definitely a book I would recommend. Especially if you like slow burn, and grumpy and broody heroes.

Altho
Michele Rene
I loved After Sundown. You will get hooked from the very first page. The battle for survival for this community, unlikely people working together and a love story all in one. I recommend it to everyone. I took lots of notes, just like I do with all the survival books I read. We all need to get prepared, you never know what will happen in the future.

I won this book on Goodreads Giveaways!!
Thank you Goodreads!
Esther
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
ARC provided by Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Wow, this took me a long time to finish and it was not an easy read. I use to love LH old books but this is so different from her past romances.

The story was very difficult to engage in and this wasn't heavy on romance either.

The story centers around a dire solar storm that takes down the power grid around the world. Sela Gordon who runs the general store and ex-military Ben Jernigan join together to help the small town survive.

Sela i
Jonetta
Sela Gordon lives in a remote mountain town in Tennessee. She’s divorced, runs a general store and gas station, and lives modestly near her aunt and cousin. Ben Jernigan is former Special Forces who also lives in this resort community but chooses to exist in isolation off the grid, never interacting with any of the people in the town. However, he’s admired Sela and she him but neither have ever spoken to one another. When one of his friends from another state warns him (of course, by ham radio) ...more
NMmomof4
2 Stars

Overall Opinion: Yeah, I’m big time bummed on this one. I’m actually a pretty big fan of post apocalyptic type romances and I honestly think there needs to be more of them! Especially with how crazy the world is right now!! But, sadly, this didn’t hit all my buttons like I was hoping it would. It was super slow. In the action and in the romance. It was more like a survivalist manual for how to gather a community to survive together...okay, maybe I’m being dramatic there with saying that
♥Rachel♥
Sela starts off as a quiet sort of heroine, happy to go unnoticed, getting by running her convenience store/gas station with her aunt and niece pitching in. However, every time Ben comes in the store she’s captivated, he’s so serious and focused, but she’s also just fine that he doesn’t seem to register her presence. That is until the morning he comes in and tells her to prepare for a massive solar storm that’s about to hit the earth and knock out the world’s power grid.

This story is a little d
peachygirl

Aaaaaaaand she's back!
My LH starved heart has never been happier 🥰
Nursebookie
After Sundown by Linda Howard and Linda Jones

There is nothing more timely than reading this book, After Sundown, about a catastrophic solar storm (Coronal Mass Ejections – CME) that would destroy the power grid around the world – and the effects would be felt for months or even years. I cannot believe how much I enjoyed this for its suspenseful romantic thrill, that after reading I thought that our current situation could actually be so much worse, and that this could really happen too.

The stor
RachelW (BamaGal)
Jul 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
This was not a typical RS, nothing like what you’d expect from LH. It was one of these disaster and post-apocalypse type books. Some kind of Solar Storm; it was kind of out-there and convoluted, so the reader has to just accept the sketchy, complicated premise and move on. Sort of reminded me of Norah Roberts recent 'Year One'. The first part of the book was getting ready for the disaster; then after it happened, picking up the pieces and life without electricity and conveniences. The romance fe ...more
Lana Reads
It was a satisfying and a frustrating read. Post-apocalyptic stories scare the hell out of me, but I still love reading them, because I'm curious how the author would spin the dance around the human nature.  There were many things I liked. It was was quite well written; I loved the characters and felt their feelings; the inner monologues were realistic and relatable.

The hero and the heroine were perfect for each other. Their romance took some time and development, but I found it nicely and natu
Ira
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
It doesn’t feel like one of Linda Howard’s book but still a good read.
It’s a slow burn post apocalyptic romance.
It doesn’t as dark as usual, for this type of story, probably because the disaster just recently happened.

However, this covid_19 lockdown over here, made this story feels a bit familiar and hit home.
And the story is interesting enough and I couldn’t put it down often:)

❤️
Pamela(AllHoney)
Sela Gordan owns a small gas station in a rural area of Tennessee. One day, Ben Jernigan, a quiet reclusive man, comes in and warns her that a solar flare (CME) was coming and to prepare. The CME is expected to take down the power grid all over the world. And it is expected to last about a year. So Sela goes forth to prepare and she and her aunt rally their neighborhood to meet and plan what to do.

The book is low on romance but OMG the story itself was pretty good. My biggest gripe would be all
Lindsay
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I felt like I was reading a movie. This would be an awesome movie. I had a hard time putting the book down when work and life intruded.

This was definitely different than anything I've been reading lately and in a way it was nice to have a change. I can't say that the post apocalyptic type of story is my favorite. But I love Linda Howard's writing and I had to see what she do with this book. I wasnt the least bit disappointed.

I have to give the characters a lot of credit, because as I was read
Farshana ❤️rainnbooks❤️

I am probably in the minority for this book coz I was expecting a 5 star knock me out story and it left me wanting more. C’mon it is co-authored by LINDA HOWARD so what should there be, not to like. But sorry to say, this end of the world post apocalypse story just never worked for me as it should have. The dialogues and banter which I was expecting to be a cracker between the leads was kept to the minimum but the romance was slow-burn and super exciting.

Ben is a retired marine whose lonely exis
Carol
4 surprised stars. 🌟🌟🌟🌟

I am not sure what I was expecting from this recent release from Linda Howard but this post apocalyptic story was truly a genuine surprise.
I had never heard of a coronal mass ejection (CME) before this book and was fascinated to know that it is a real event and that this planet has actually experienced one before... I recommend googling... the solar storm of 1859.
So what would happen today ....in this modern age of satellites, internet and smart phones .....when all the li
Anita
Holy Moly talk about a pandemic. How about a coronal mass ejection - CME for short or a massive sun flare for us moron types. This CME destroys the power grid for the entire world and Sela and Ben are left to handle life in Wears Valley in the mountains of eastern Tennessee. One problem, at least early on, Ben doesn't want anything to do with anyone, except maybe Sela. I'm really in awe that this book, which has postponed publication for over a year, has picked this week to finally be published. ...more
Mimi
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
What would happen if the world lost all electric power? How would your character and society as a whole stand the test? With the power outages we have faced and after learning that even with solar I am still not immune to outtages, I found the premise of this book kept my mind spinning long after I finished.

P.S. If you like strong women leaders, you'll find this especially satisfying.

My honest review made possible by an advanced copy from the publisher
Lyn
This book wasn't as apocalyptic as I'd expected. In a way it didn't show the harsh reality of such an event as it should have. The pacing was super slow but I loved Ben. ...more
Tina
I usually like immediate aftermath post-apoc novels. I am always interested in how an author imagines what the world will be like and how the people will react when they are in the midst of it.

On the one hand it was very community based with people rallying around and helping each other in their small town. But we also get antagonists who are some bad dudes who want to capitalize on the chaos and it brings out their worst instincts so they just want to take over, usurp resources, kill and prove
Shawna
2.5 stars - Apocalyptic/Romantic Suspense

To be completely fair, I think the reason I didn't enjoy this is just bad timing. The current coronavirus pandemic has me worried and freaked out enough without reading about a scary doomsday scenario like the one that plays out in this story.
Ann Lorz
Reviewed for Romancing the Readers Blog: http://www.romancingthereaders.com/20...

I can't tell you how excited I was to be able to read a new book by Linda Howard. I love her older books and feel her books are well written with characters I like to read. I've also read books by Linda Jones so I also know her writing style. Both are enjoyable authors.

I came into reading After Sundown without knowing what it was about than getting a slight chuckle when I did because a TV show just did this. So do w
Kay
This is my third book by Linda Howard. Because I liked her previous book, The Woman Left Behind I borrowed this one blind. To my surprise, the underlying story was CME (Coronal Mass Ejection) or Solar storm - This is a doomsday romance in small town of Cove Mountain Tennessee.

Some reviewers are sensitive to this topic during our COVID time, understandable, doomsday prepping started very early in the book. Despite having only a day in advance warning from a reclusive handsome hunk ex military gu
Stacee
Mar 30, 2020 rated it liked it
I’m absolutely here for romantic suspense, so I was all over this one.

I liked Sela and Ben well enough. They’re both quiet, steadfast people. I loved feisty Aunt Carol and sweet Olivia as they both added levity. There’s a good amount of secondary characters, but it didn’t feel like I got to know any of them.

Plot wise, it was okay. I was intrigued by the set up, but after The Event happens, there isn’t any urgency. The few things that do happen don’t really add conflict the way I’m assuming the
KathyB
I enjoyed this story, it was timely and intriguing, especially considering the worldwide pandemic affecting most of us. It made me want to restock my shelves and be more prepared for an even bigger crisis than we're currently experiencing. Our situation seems mild compared to what happens in this book. If nothing else, it eased my mind knowing it could be worse.

This isn't my favorite Linda Howard novel but I'd still recommend. The plot is well developed with likable characters, the slow burn ro
Lady Heather
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to come :)
~Nichole~  Sizzling Pages Romance Reviews
Oh wow. I devoured this one. The narrator was great. I loved this hero but more than that I really appreciated the strength and tenacity of the heroine. I only wish this would be a series.
Katie
Aha, at the risk of sounding very silly, I did not understand the description of this book. I'm not sure if I read a slightly different one or if my brain just decided to do its own thing, but I thought it was going to be about the hero and the heroine in an isolated cabin somewhere and maybe something bad was happening in the outside world, but they don't really know.

Um, no, it was about something bad that happened in the contemporary world that essentially sent the world in lockdown. I am fami
AvidReader
Dec 28, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was fortunate to receive an early version of After Sundown from a Goodreads Giveaway.

I have been a Linda Howard fan for a very long time. I’ve read every one of her books (several times). I’ve even participated in a Linda Howard fan club. Now, all that said...

I found it exceedingly difficult to get through this book. It is not an exciting read. It took me days to finish rather than the typical “all-nighter”, can’t put this book down until I’m finished, Linda Howard book. This isn’t her typica
Eve
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
picaf

I am reading this story in the middle of coronavirus pandemic when there are lockdowns, our everyday life is interrupted, things are uncertain, people are complaining....and I realized that things could be even worse. Much worse. Think what would happen if some kind of catastrophic solar storm hit us and took down most of the power grids?
The developed world run on technology, the damage resulting would be catastrophic. Earth and human civilization would turn back 200 years. No electricity.

• Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • All the Colors of Night (Fogg Lake #2)
  • Home Work: A Memoir of My Hollywood Years
  • Klucz
  • Hideaway
  • Moonlighter (The Company, #1)
  • You Are Not Alone
  • Close Up (Burning Cove #4)
  • Rachel's Totem (Cougar Falls, #1)
  • The Blacksmith Queen (The Scarred Earth Saga, #1)
  • Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy, #4)
  • One Wore Blue (Cameron Saga: Civil War Trilogy, #1)
  • The Family Journal
  • You Let Me In
  • Would Like to Meet
  • Find Her Alive (Detective Josie Quinn, #8)
  • Once Upon a Winter's Eve (Spindle Cove, #1.5)
  • Well of Magic (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill #4)

Linda S. Howington is an American best-selling romance author writing under the pseudonym Linda Howard. After 21 years of penning stories for her own enjoyment, she submitted a novel for publication which was very successful. Her first work was published by Silhouette in 1982. She is a charter member of Romance

Articles featuring this book

Are you worried you've missed your perfect match? Your perfect romance novel match, that is. Don't worry; we're here for you. We've got ice cream,...
“People who knew shit were invaluable in every organization, no matter how large, or how small.” 0 likes
“He had to give it to nature, to the universe: it kicked ass.” 0 likes