Start by marking “Legionnaire (Galaxy's Edge, #1)” as Want to Read:
Legionnaire (Galaxy's Edge, #1)

Legionnaire

(Galaxy's Edge #1)

The Galaxy is a Dumpster Fire

A hot, stinking, dumpster fire. And most days I don’t know if the legionnaires are putting out the flames, or fanning them into an inferno.

A hostile force ambushes Victory Company during a reconnaissance-in-force deep inside enemy territory. Stranded behind enemy lines, a sergeant must lead a band of survivors against merciless insurgents on a dea
Published June 12th 2017 by Galaxy's Edge

To ask other readers questions about Legionnaire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legionnaire

Start your review of Legionnaire (Galaxy's Edge, #1)
Charles
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Tense...and Xenophobic, Racist, Classist, Sexist, and Jingoistic

As a military tale, Legionnaire is old school. The sci-fi equivalent of a 1950s war film, the pacing and action relentless. The characters, standard archetypes differentiated by class, separated into two primary groups. Those the main character and his men consider to be real soldiers, the Legionnaires, and those who are not, which is everyone else. Trial by combat will judge who is worthy of the respect of the main character, a Legi
Robert Defrank
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A work of military science fiction so detailed you can feel the equipment and choke on the dust. Elite troops find themselves cut off in enemy-occupied territory, and as the saying goes: "They've got us surrounded, they can't get away"

The story has some inspiration in games like Halo and the Clone Wars, but the authors' write a tale all their own, full of grit, realism and the warrior ethos that remains unchanged no matter the landscape and equipment. It also serves as a prime instru
J.R. Handley
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Summary:
First, let me say that none of what I’ll say in this section couldn’t be found on the back copy of the novel.  Heck, I cribbed this summary from the back, and then I add my own twist!  And not even much of one, since most of the books I read have kick butt descriptions (aka blurbs).  If the blurb doesn’t catch my eye, then I tend to skip the book unless a friend recommends it.  Generally speaking, my goal is to provide a spoiler free review, so here goes nothing!

The Legionn
Lee Sherred
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Unfortunately I've been concentrating on my own writing recently so it took me a long time to finish this book. That is in no way a reflection on it though. I really enjoyed this read, something different to my norm. It's evident to me that the author has a military background, his understanding of tactics and camaraderie comes through in masses to anyone who has served, something I really like in a book about war (write what you know!) I will definitely continue with the series and highly recom ...more
Norma
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"The good old days ... weren't. Simple as that."
Simply superb and not a full moment from start to finish, despite the old adage that a legionnaires life is mostly ,"inactivity. Boredom. Routine." No boredom here, though, as the reader is immediately drawn into the seemingly straightforward mission to solidify a treaty with the 'friendly' locals. Instead, Victory company is attacked and the expectation is that "We're all going to die."
Seen from the perspective of Sergeant, later actin
papasteve
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
The thing that bugged me about this book was the arrogance of the legionaires going to a planet to take it over from the indigenous race, just to take over the natural resources of the planet. Sound familiar? I didn’t feel sorry for the legionaires who lost their lives in an attempt to take something that wasn't theirs. The legionaires calling the indigenous people by durogatory nicknames--like American forces did with the Japanese in WW II--made me even less sympathetic to them.
Jim
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A new author to me and what appears to be a new series. This book is a well written military science fiction book. It is just the kind that I like. The story is from the first person of Sergeant C. Chhun, a Squad Leader in Victory Company, 131st Republic Legionnaires. They are paired up with a regular Republic Army unit on a joint “diplomatic” mission to Kublar village. Unfortunately, the Republic Army leadership is pretty bad, very bad. One specifically bad leader is Captain Devers, Republic Ar ...more
John Davies
Wow. I haven't read a book this fast in ages! Jason and Nick have written something that reads like a battle in Afghanistan being fought now, but it's set in a futuristic world that they have based on Star Wars, but isn't. I've never read any of the Star Wars books, but this is an awesome book. It's detailed, it's got characters you WANT to see succeed, and it's got a character that you hate, and want to see die. The end is not what I expected, but it's not a total disappointment, because it fil ...more
Jason
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
3 Stars

This is a decent military science fiction that has plenty of action, cool fights, and weaponry but it suffers from some pacing issues and more. I never connected with the characters or the world but liked the writing and the story nonetheless.

Decent.
Nathan Coops
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: solid-reads
Nick Cole and Jason Anspach deliver on their promises. Reviewers describing this series as "Star Wars in Afganistan" are correct. Blaster cannons, alien landscapes, and rocket sleds aside, this is a story of courage under fire, loyalty to your fellow soldiers, and the person you want to be when death is coming for you. I blazed through the book in a couple of days. I'm ready for the next action-packed space adventure.
PJ Lea
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
A real dumpster fire.

A great example of heart stopping, pulse racing military sci-fi that had me on the edge of my seat many times. There were power struggles between the separate forces which made total sense and had me gritting my teeth at the idiocy of some CO's. A great story that I would recommend for fans of this genre and sci-fi in general.
Marion Buehring
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I want to be a legionnaire

This is one of those stories that takes you back to the excitement of sci-fi from your childhood. I loved it. And I can't wait for the next one!
Ed Gosney
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Though I stand in the minority, I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, and I knew going in to Legionnaire that the authors refer to their Galaxy's Edge series as "Star Wars, Not Star Wars." When it comes to reading spacefaring science fiction, I like things like Peter F. Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga, the Priscilla Hutchins series by Jack McDevitt, and the Expanse books by James S.A. Corey (and Dune, too...can't forget that series!). Big, sweeping, intergalactic sagas, I guess you could say. I've read a f ...more
Takudza Madanha
Mar 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Coming from where I’m from I can’t enjoy a book glorying in the subjugation and manipulation of native people by a more technologically advanced colonial interloper. I’ve just started listening to this book and I am finding the point of view of these colonisers very unpleasant. Thank the gods I can return books on Audible. I really don’t like the idea of my money supporting authors who paint these tools of oppression as heroes.
If the author showed some sympathy towards the indigenous beings of
Tom
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gritty, Foxhole Sci-Fi. Legionnaires on the edge of the galaxy in an unwinnable battle against superior numbers. Battle buddies, camaraderie, esprit de corps... Captures battle-weary mindset of guys who are in it to save each other - not because of some lofty goal or political outcome. A nice bonus story in the epilogue too. My only complaint... too short! So I'll pick up the next in the series.
Steelwhisper

I'd write a lengthy review, but what I'd mean to say already was so much better said here:

And here:

In short: this was disgusting and unfortunately I couldn't even return this dreck.
Dave Becker
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. Nothing but a nail-biting outnumbered-space-marine-survival-on-a-hostile-planet story. No gaps, no love story, no intrigue, just killer action, immaculately described as if you were embedded with the troops. Gah, I wish there were more books this precise. Really refreshing. I can't wait to read more.
Bluecobras09
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
A light, refreshing, fast paced military sci-fi. It is nice to sometimes read a book that is not so loaded down with futuristic technical jargon where you can just enjoy the fast paced military aspect of it. This book provided that. The story line was good and it kept my attention from beginning to end. Highly recommend this book to anyone that enjoys military sci-fi.
Michael Pang
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it
If you space marine groundpounder view is your cup of tea, this is a definite recommendation. I'm personally more of a space fleet combat person when it comes to my military scifi; however, i can definitely appreciate this tale. 1st person view of a ranger type groundpounder struggling to survive in a distant (light years distant) land alongside the only people who matter, those next to him.
Kevin
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Smash face hi tech sci fi.

Ripping read. Feels like marines vs Muj. A nice metaphor and some solid descriptive writing. Pulls on the classic internal tension between grunt and privileged officer class. The worlds re built well and the tech feels solid.
Nicholas Woode-Smith
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A thrilling and action-packed military sci-fi which has provided me with some much needed guidance for the genre. While slightly confusing in the beginning due to the frenetic action, it does smooth out as the book progresses, revealing a great story of brothers-in-arms as they overcome the odds.
David
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Not bad...nothing extraordinary however.
Gwen
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! A combination of Aliens, Blackhawk Down, and Fury. Really enjoyed this clustereff!
Benjamin Espen
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jason Anspach and Nick Cole's Galaxy's Edge series has been described as "more Star Wars than Star Wars". After reading the first volume, Legionnaire, I wholly agree. Anspach and Cole nailed the feel of being a stormtrooper, if stormtroopers were actually the elite shock troops described by Ben Kenobi in A New Hope, instead of the comically inept mooks who were slaughtered by Ewoks in Return of the Jedi.

The Republic Legionnaires, leejes for short, have the technological resources of
Alan Mills
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Straight up war drama, masquerading as sci-fi

Set several hundred years in the future, on a planet far, far away, a small expedition of Legionnaires is on a diplomatic mission, to cement an alliance between a local village chief and the elected Senator, loyal to the Republic. When the squad is ambushed, it becomes clear that this simple mission has become much more complicated. Familiar themes of soldiers vs. politicians, and bad intelligence endangering fighters, play central roles as the nar
Brenda
Wow. I went from Alien stud-muffins and gratuitous smut to Space Alpha Soldiers that know how to kick some serious butt. KTF all the way - Ooah (Hooyah) can never keep the battle cry straight per service. It generally all means the same, 'Get Some!' so it's all good.

Book 1 starts you right smack in the middle of the fray. There is plenty of time to fill the reader in on the characters, history, and situation in between the shooting, strategizing, outmaneuvering, and plain killing. Gotta meet th
Bill Wright
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Sometimes, a book will just reach out and grab your attention. You get locked into the characters, the story arc/sub-arcs.

Sometimes, not so much.

This is a "not so much" sorta book.

There is nothing intrinsically WRONG with the book; as I was reading along, though, two parallel tracks kept pace--

1. I kept comparing the characters and action to Janissaries by Pournelle and Old Man's War by Scalzi;
2. The "what happens next" was sorta easy to figu
Dan
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The thing that really surprised me about this book was the gritty realism of military life. Several times, after reading the various battles, or even the infighting between the brass and the grunts, I was reminded of great war novels like Matterhorn and Junior Officers Reading Club.

And, for a work of fiction, that's an amazing comparison.

The Legionnaires may not be real, but after reading this book you will wonder if the authors are perhaps writing about their past lives.
Shane
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military-scifi
What a great introduction to a new author. Anspach paints a a terrific world in a challenging future. This story focuses on characters and develops them with a unique language of slang specific to both the future time and the legionnaire's themselves.

The action is steady and well paced. The slow periods (the "hurry up and wait" parts) are largely skipped over. This is where it lost a little bit for me, there were plenty of opportunities in the gaps in action to further develop the ch
Steve
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really solid Military sci-fi. It has a gritty realism to it, but none of the foul language and sex that are so common in the newer crop of books. The story is solid, and there is good characterization. The characters are people, with realistic motivations and decisions, not cardboard cut-outs. The authors definitely know what they are doing and the story kept me engaged through the whole book. Well done. I've just finished the next book in the series and it is even better. Definitely give this a ...more

• Iron Wolves (Order of the Centurion, #2)
  • Renegades (Expeditionary Force, #7)
  • Homefront: An Expeditionary Force Audio Drama Special (Expeditionary Force, #7.5)
  • Mavericks (Expeditionary Force, #6)
  • Deathtrap (Mavericks, #1)
  • Zero Hour (Expeditionary Force, #5)
  • Titanborn (Children of Titan, #1)
  • Black Ops (Expeditionary Force, #4)
  • Planetside (Planetside #1)
  • Iron Dragoons (Terran Armor Corps #1)
  • The Ibarra Sanction (Terran Armor Corps #2)
  • Renegade Star (Renegade Star, #1)
  • Genesis (First Colony, #1)
  • Cartwright's Cavaliers (The Revelations Cycle #1)
  • Armor World (Undying Mercenaries, #11)
  • Winged Hussars (The Revelations Cycle, #3)
  • Paradise (Expeditionary Force, #3)
  • The Golden Horde (The Revelations Cycle, #4)
JASON ANSPACH is the author of the 1950's noire-comedy, 'til Death. And the military science fiction space opera series, Galaxy's Edge. He lives in Tacoma, WA with his wife and their seven (not a typo) children.

Han shot first.

Galaxy's Edge (9 books)
  • Galactic Outlaws (Galaxy's Edge, #2)
  • Kill Team (Galaxy's Edge, #3)
  • Attack of Shadows (Galaxy's Edge, #4)
  • Sword of the Legion (Galaxy's Edge, #5)
  • Prisoners of Darkness (Galaxy's Edge, #6)
  • Turning Point (Galaxy's Edge, #7)
  • Message for the Dead (Galaxy's Edge, #8)
  • Retribution (Galaxy's Edge, #9)
“All I can do is stare blankly at the captain. I finally blink. Reincarnation must be real, because no one could get that stupid in one lifetime. “Captain” 2 likes
“I won’t clint you” 0 likes