Start by marking “Of Captivity & Kings” as Want to Read:
Of Captivity & Kings

Of Captivity & Kings

The laws are different in the Kushite ruled Kingdom of Nabara. The penalty for involvement in the slave trade is death, and if the King fails to provide justice and order under ma'at, the High Priests can order him to commit suicide. When a Roman slave ship wrecks off the coast of Nabara, peace is shattered. Ancient caravan routes, pastoralists, and nomadic hunters are thr ...more
Published May 25th 2017 by E.Y. Laster

To ask other readers questions about Of Captivity & Kings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Captivity & Kings

Start your review of Of Captivity & Kings
Miranda Reads
3.5 Stars
description

She didn’t cry out. If she did the slavers would hear and they would find them all.
Due to a "fortuitous" shipwreck, the Roman Empire has (yet again) found something it must have - and that something is the people of Nabara.

While Kingdom of Nabara has dealt with slaver in the past, the Roman Empire poses a formidable threat - they're cunning, evil and above all - organized.

Every minute that the High King and other kingdoms waste is another caravan or family plundered.
Th
Ayah
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a book that stems from African history and culture, then look no further.

Check out the review of Of Captivity and Kings on my blog

If you've been following my blog for a while, specifically my book reviews, then you know that I struggle with reading a book that is told from lots of POV! My memory sucks, and there is nothing that I can do about that. This book had 13 POV!!! THIRTEEN!!!!! I was so close to DNFing this book. I reread the 1st 20% of the book many times, but
empirestatebookshelf
Review originally posted on: EmpirestateBookshelf

The Kingdom of Nabara is a peaceful one, with strict laws against the slave trade and a clear path to follow if the Kings fails to follow the rules and enforce justice and order. However, when a Roman slave ship crashes near the coast, bedlam ensues. When the High King of Nabara invokes the power of the six-kingdom alliance, Nudolla, the ruling families of those kingdoms are forced to experience the corruption and horror of the rising slave trade.
Cydonia Reads
Dec 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Laster can write. And she does it well, as life arises from the words she draws. You do not read her book, you live it. Everything becomes tangible. The dialogs, the descriptions and the characters are well crafted. It is obvious that the writing process was not rushed. Instead she took her time to write a book that anyone would enjoy reading. I envy her style. Her writing is at the same time beautiful but seems effortless and natural. There is no denying she made research for there are several ...more
Kara
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history-ancient

A much needed counter to all the Roman-centric historical fiction about the 4th century. Here we see complicated, bustling civilizations much apart from the Roman Empire, but, unfortunately for them, not far enough, as Rome encroaches, turning entire kingdoms into slaves. A fascinating story about the many, many cultures and faiths and peoples of the time period.

However, as many other reviewers have pointed out, there are SO MANY point-of-view characters that it is hard to keep track of who is
Hannah
E.Y. Laster was kind enough to provide me a copy of "Of Captivity & Kings" in exchange for a review! Unfortunately, I ended up DNFing this book at page 219/409. There was a scene of graphic violence regarding female genitalia that was very triggering for my medical anxiety and I chose to discontinue reading. This is, of course, not the fault of the author, but a personal decision that I made for my own mental health :) but I will be giving a review of the first half of the book.

What I liked:
- T
Flavia
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Laster is so wonderfully gifted, and this book is so rich and captivating. There are a few minor things I might've changed — some of the exposition through dialogue feels a touch unnatural, occasionally — but none of it can put a damper on how refreshing and absorbing this is to read! This is one of those books you really can recommend to anyone.
Shruti Ramanujam
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it

I found it difficult to get started on Of Captivity and Kings. It took me a while to understand what was going on. I’m usually good with multiple POVs and character names, but here even I struggled a little. But, I was also curious and did not want to give up on this book.

I continued reading and slowly, I started understanding what was going on. But the initial few chapters were a bit difficult.

The writing is pretty
Elise
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know how back in middle - high school you could stay up and read whatever you wanted before an 8-5 job and responsibilities got you? Yeah, that's how far this book took me. I found myself wanting to read longer and ignore my responsibilities for later days!

I love how intricate the characters are and the plot. You can vividly see every action and with every turn of the pages, the anticipation is high. As an African myself, this novel is a welcome home for me and truly left me feeling proud o
Kat
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was written with history in the spotlight. Right away, I was swept into this fantasy world that completely made me see the African culture. From the society to the ideals, I think the world-building was done very well.

But, I have to say that the multiple POVs made this book a little hard to keep straight. There were a few times that I had to reread to try to figure out who was speaking, but it wasn't as distracting to the point of DNF-ing.

Other than that, I enjoyed this book. There a
Käthe
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
written on 03/20/2019
I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I went into the process of reading this book with a certain set of expectations, and as much as it hurts me to say that, those expectations were not met.
I had an extremely hard time trying to stay focused while reading, and because of that, it took me two months to finish this book.
That does not have to be a bad thing per se, but a book of this size would usually keep me busy for one week or so.
As I men
Mar 21, 2019
Debee Sue
Sep 28, 2018
Tamar Gordon
rated it did not like it
Jan 12, 2018
Aug 22, 2018
Catherine
Sep 23, 2018
E.Y. Laster
Aug 10, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Clinton
Paul

• In the Dark, Soft Earth
  • Happy & You Know It
  • Lying Next to Me
  • Me and White Supremacy: Combat Racism, Change the World, and Become a Good Ancestor
  • Barracoon: The Story of the Last "Black Cargo"
  • Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America
  • Two Weeks in November: The Astonishing Untold Story of the Operation that Toppled Mugabe
  • Phantom Limb
  • Le Comte de Monte-Cristo I  (Le Comte de Monte-Cristo #1 of 2)
  • Le Comte de Monte-Cristo II (Le Comte de Monte-Cristo #2 of 2)
  • Black Leopard, Red Wolf
  • The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains
  • Skip Beat! (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 9: Includes Vols. 25, 26  27
  • I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem
  • The Kids Are Gonna Ask
  • Red Rain (Nameless #4)
  • The Cannabis Spa at Home: How to Make Marijuana-Infused Lotions, Massage Oils, Ointments, Bath Salts, Spa Nosh, and More
  • The Republic of Virtue