Start by marking “Of Captivity & Kings” as Want to Read:
Of Captivity & Kings

Of Captivity & Kings

WWW.OFCAPTIVITYANDKINGS.COM

The laws are different in the Kushite ruled Kingdom of Nabara. The penalty for involvement in the slave trade is death, and if the King fails to provide justice and order under ma'at, the High Priests can order him to commit suicide. When a Roman slave ship wrecks off the coast of Nabara, peace is shattered. Ancient caravan routes, pastoralists,
Published May 25th 2017 by E.Y. Laster

To ask other readers questions about Of Captivity & Kings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Captivity & Kings

Miranda Reads
3.5 Stars
description

She didn’t cry out. If she did the slavers would hear and they would find them all.
Due to a "fortuitous" shipwreck, the Roman Empire has (yet again) found something it must have - and that something is the people of Nabara.

While Kingdom of Nabara has dealt with slaver in the past, the Roman Empire poses a formidable threat - they're cunning, evil and above all - organized.

Every minute that the High King and other kingdoms waste is another caravan or family plundered.
These slavers w
Ayah
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a book that stems from African history and culture, then look no further.

Check out the review of Of Captivity and Kings on my blog

If you've been following my blog for a while, specifically my book reviews, then you know that I struggle with reading a book that is told from lots of POV! My memory sucks, and there is nothing that I can do about that. This book had 13 POV!!! THIRTEEN!!!!! I was so close to DNFing this book. I reread the 1st 20% of the book many times, but I
empirestatebookshelf
Review originally posted on: EmpirestateBookshelf

The Kingdom of Nabara is a peaceful one, with strict laws against the slave trade and a clear path to follow if the Kings fails to follow the rules and enforce justice and order. However, when a Roman slave ship crashes near the coast, bedlam ensues. When the High King of Nabara invokes the power of the six-kingdom alliance, Nudolla, the ruling families of those kingdoms are forced to experience the corruption and horror of the rising slave trade.
Shruti Ramanujam
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it

I found it very difficult to get started on Of Captivity and Kings. The names aren’t easy to remember and it takes a while to understand what’s going on. I’m usually good with multiple POVs and difficult character names, but here even I struggled a little. But, it’s an Own Voice book and I did not want to give up on it.

I continued reading and slowly, I started understanding what was going on. But the initial few chap
Kat
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was written with history in the spotlight. Right away, I was swept into this fantasy world that completely made me see the African culture. From the society to the ideals, I think the world-building was done very well.

But, I have to say that the multiple POVs made this book a little hard to keep straight. There were a few times that I had to reread to try to figure out who was speaking, but it wasn't as distracting to the point of DNF-ing.

Other than that, I enjoyed this book. There a
Feb 02, 2019
Debee Sue
Sep 28, 2018
Tamar Gordon
rated it did not like it
Jan 12, 2018
E.Y. Laster
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Kristina Lawrence
Tracy
Sarah Pick
Hyacinth
Sep 11, 2018
“If Kingdoms wish to move quickly, they must go alone. If we wish to go far, we must go together.” 1 likes
“You have the blood of a great warrior. To lead, you must also learn to follow.” 1 likes