Start by marking “Ballerina” as Want to Read:
Ballerina

Ballerina

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  330 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
This exciting tale of friendship, dance, rivalry and love centers on Christine and Stephanie, two young women who share the dream of a career in the ballet. A richly authentic story that offers an inside look at the harsh realities of the romantic art of ballet.
Published February 2nd 1989 by Dell (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Ballerina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ballerina

Raven Haired Girl
Aug 09, 2015 added it
Shelves: 2015
Ballerina undoubtedly paints the brutal beauty of ballet on stage as well as behind the curtain. A realistic glimpse into the demanding world of this stunning athletic artistry.

Stewart’s writing dances off the pages. You not only have a sense of the visual but you move with the words as if you were in front of the barre. Well researched and the inclusion of dance language terminology, and references is appreciated certainly adding to the reading experience.

The narrative is dramatic exploring the
Erin
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Erin by: Betsy
Shelves: arc-review
ARC for review.

What a fun palate-cleanser of a book after a disappointing last read. Originally published in 1978 (but really not dated other than prices) Ballerina is the fictional story of two young girls in the ballet corps of two companies in NYC and it's lots of frothy goodness - all the competition, jealousy and pushy stage moms you would expect, but also a fair amount of loyal friendship. Professional dance is like modeling in that they are the only two industries I can think of where wom
Juli Morgan
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read "Ballerina" in the early 1980s, and over the years I've thought of it from time to time, remembering the characters and some of the storylines. If a book sticks in my mind for that amount of time then I know it was a good one.

Since I lost that long-ago paperback, I was thrilled to see this book back in circulation again. I enjoyed it now just as much as I did when I first read it. Even though the book is set in the late 1970s, it holds up very well and is a great bit of nostalgia. (A can
Tom Brennan
In reading this book, I couldn't help but think of Tchaikovsky's music and the ballets that feature it. While the prose sometimes descends into melodrama, it also rises to the sublime. The story centers around two young would-be ballerinas, Stephanie Lang and Christine Avery, who meet at ballet school auditions and become fast friends. The expected dramatis personae eventually presents itself - a conniving ballet mom (Anna Lang), the implacable company director (Marius Volmar) and socialite with ...more
Janet
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favourite books when I was in my 20's. I found a copy at a used book sale and nostalgia made me buy it. I have to say that I enjoyed this book just as much now as I did back then. If you are a dancer or just love ballet I think you will enjoy this book. I love that it gives you an inside look at the cutthroat world of the ballet. Just as it did back then....it made me cry at the end.
Kirsten
Aug 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
A typical schlocky 70s novel about two teenaged girls trying out for scholarships at a top-tier ballet school. They become best friends, and move on up through school and into jobs in ballet companies. For schlock, this was pretty good - not as predictable as might be expected. I enjoyed this quite a bit.
Akeating2003
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book years ago and re-read it many times over the years. It may not be perfect writing but it remains one of my favorite books. And yes, I did want to be a ballerina but sadly lacked the talent :( .
Tracie Trog
Dec 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Read this old favorite during a sick day.
J.M. Cornwell
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it

My first thought after reading the description of Ballerina by Edward Stewart is that it was a modern version of The Turning Point with Anne Bancroft and Shirley MacLaine. I was wrong.

The story is about Stephanie Lang and Christine Avery, aspiring ballerinas in New York City in the 1970s, which is the time that The Turning Point was filmed, and also mentioned in the last half of the book. Where Bancroft and MacLaine faced off after about 20 years of guarded friendship and rivalry, Steph and Chri

Home. Love. Books.
To read this review and others like it check out my site www.homelovebooks.com

I love ballerinas and ballet, I was one of those little girls who took ballet and loved it, I wasn't any good though. But just because I wasn't any good at it, doesn't mean I stopped liking. That being said, I don't think I have read any real ballet books, a couple about ex-ballet dancers, but not one where ballet is so front and center as it is in this book, so I was actually really excited about this book.

The first
  • Ballerina: Sex, Scandal, and Suffering Behind the Symbol of Perfection
  • Tutu Much (Dance, #1)
  • I, Maya Plisetskaya
197945
Edward Stewart grew up in New York City and Cuba. His first novel, Orpheus on Top, was published in 1966. He wrote thirteen more novels, including the bestselling Vince Cardozo thrillers Privileged Lives, Jury Double, Mortal Grace, and Deadly Rich. He died in Manhattan at the age of 58.
More about Edward Stewart...

“Dance is a tyranny of the old over the young, the ugly over the beautiful, those who no longer can over those who can.” 0 likes